Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

pandaK posted:

To be fair, he did kind of do this as a troll.

And besides the video is all wrong anyway. Beloved Tomboyish Girl is from Touhou 6, not 1 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Color Printer posted:

To be fair (translation: I'm probably very wrong and you should just ignore me :v:) my only sources are youtube comments from one of the Frozen Synapse Switch videos, but one of them did say that one person who claimed that edited it out of their post on some forum (probably the MSPA one?). So who knows by this point. I'd say wait until the pulled songs get put on Youtube (because they will) before trying to figure all that out.
Well I have both of them. I'd just need a song to compare Purple Tyrant to, since I don't recognize it.

edit: gently caress yeah I was wondering where WITC)(ING )(OUR went.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

And besides the video is all wrong anyway. Beloved Tomboyish Girl is from Touhou 6, not 1 :colbert:

Well if you turned on annotations you'd see it was fixed!

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I wonder if, in a situation like this, there will be repercussions for the plagiarizer besides vilification and (hopefully?) shame.

I'd assume the Frozen Synapse team would have some legal ground against the guy?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This sound like Purple Tyrant?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Not the first time we've had "inspired" music but I've never heard it be completely identical before (I played the poo poo out of Sonic Adventure when I was little, don't judge me).

There's also this video, although one or two stretch a bit.

Volume 5 had a few removed for being stolen. Cathedral of the End and such.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Elysiume posted:

Well I have both of them. I'd just need a song to compare Purple Tyrant to, since I don't recognize it.

It may be this. Not sure though since I haven't heard Purple Tyrant (someone was posting this saying it was purple tyrant on some other forum). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOyycDOgeg

edit: sniped already huh. what I get for hitting post but not looking below for new posts.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Olive Rogue is all sorts of fun.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Color Printer posted:

This sound like Purple Tyrant?
loving hell. Yes. It's that exactly. Disgusting.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

pandaK posted:

To be fair, he did kind of do this as a troll.

I know, but whether he was trolling or not it's still a valid point. Everything from about 1:26 of the video and on (or everything past Heir Conditioning) is actually kind of a nice catch, I wouldn't have known otherwise. Does it make the music any less fun to listen to? Hell no.

That entire first minute and a half of the video is pretty bullshit though, and he would have had a much better time getting his point across, trolling or not if he took it out. I mean, a song called "She's a Sp8der" having parallels to a song called "He's a Pirate" isn't all that unsurprising, and most people are okay with it as a homage. Hearing the other themes twisted and blended with themes from Homestuck is genuinely interesting, to me at least. I never would have caught the Chrono Trigger one for example.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Elysiume posted:

loving hell. Yes. It's that exactly. Disgusting.

:ms: then.

But yeah, how stupid do you have to get to plagiarize two songs from the same exact source? A game that sells its soundtrack publicly, I might add.

(Also you should all buy/listen to the Frozen Synapse soundtrack anyway because it also kicks rear end)

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Wrist Watch posted:

I know, but whether he was trolling or not it's still a valid point. Everything from about 1:26 of the video and on (or everything past Heir Conditioning) is actually kind of a nice catch, I wouldn't have known otherwise. Does it make the music any less fun to listen to? Hell no.

That entire first minute and a half of the video is pretty bullshit though, and he would have had a much better time getting his point across, trolling or not if he took it out. I mean, a song called "She's a Sp8der" having parallels to a song called "He's a Pirate" isn't all that unsurprising, and most people are okay with it as a homage. Hearing the other themes twisted and blended with themes from Homestuck is genuinely interesting, to me at least. I never would have caught the Chrono Trigger one for example.

After the first half of that video, I was really surprised that he didn't just include the entire Alterniabound album.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I really hope that guy has some form of legal repercussions for this. That was incredibly sleazy.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Everything from about 1:26 of the video and on (or everything past Heir Conditioning) is actually kind of a nice catch, I wouldn't have known otherwise.
The guys who composed those songs wouldn't have known otherwise either. I think maybe one of those "homages" was even remotely intentional.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm not saying any of them were intentional, I just think it's cool to hear the similarities in some parts. :confused:

That guy was being an rear end about it and taking it directly to the mspa forums trying to stir things up. Even though he's full of poo poo and also wrong, it's interesting to hear riffs from other places popping up in others, especially in something like Homestuck, where even the name is a play on Earthbound.

It's a different story when people outright steal songs, like what happened here with Purple Tyrant though. Sorry if I came off as accusatory.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Vaah posted:

I'm loving the almost Aphex Twin vibe I'm getting from Gold Mage.
That song actually samples Pulsewidth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVrSr-yxqmE

But from what I can tell the rest of that song is originally made, and the sample seems edited enough that it isn't that shameless.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

jvempire posted:

That song actually samples Pulsewidth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVrSr-yxqmE

But from what I can tell the rest of that song is originally made, and the sample seems edited enough that it isn't that shameless.

Hahaha, oh man that's awesome. I'm loving Jade Sylph for the same reasons.

Superego was really good as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wrist Watch posted:

Not the first time we've had "inspired" music but I've never heard it be completely identical before (I played the poo poo out of Sonic Adventure when I was little, don't judge me).

There's also this video, although one or two stretch a bit.

It's always interesting to see how Homestuck takes inspiration from Earthbound. Right down to how they compose their music.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

The last time it happened was possibly just negligence though, with the guy remixing a midi track he somehow boneheadedly assumed was originally his.

How the hell does someone do this. I mean really. Given how much time goes into this poo poo, I'd expect it'd be very hard to manage that :geno:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Zorak posted:

How the hell does someone do this. I mean really. Given how much time goes into this poo poo, I'd expect it'd be very hard to manage that :geno:

He was really disorganized. Apparently he downloaded it for remixing practice, gave it a vague filename and forgot about it for a year.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's always interesting to see how Homestuck takes inspiration from Earthbound. Right down to how they compose their music.

http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/frog-forager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYqDCPg7GPE

Full circle.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I've been listening to the tracks by starting with an ancestor track and then following up with the corresponding kid troll. So far I'm really liking both tracks for Rust, Gold, Iron, Olive and Teal. I like Cobalt Thief, but I really don't think it fits as a Vriska tune. Superego works better for that, IMO.

Also, regarding the line between plagiarism and homage, I can't be the only one who likes hearing musical callbacks in certain tracks, can I? I really like it when individual characters in media are given a few leitmotifs (and it's probably the thing I liked most about Alterniabound/ Rex Duodecim Angelus) because I definitely think it adds to their characterization.

Going off on another tangent, I'd love to hear another Karkat theme that used elements from "Crustacean".

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I bought the Felt album with the new album, so I gotta ask: Who the gently caress is Humphrey?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
The album rocks, too bad there was some plagiarism though. I can't imagine what was going through that person's head. I mean, who would think they would get away with it? Did they just want the attention? Whatever.

And the end of A6I2 flash was hilarious, far better of an ending than anything I thought would happen.

On that note, do you think we'll be introduced to Jane's land once we begin Act 6 Act 3? Because I would love that. :allears:

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I've been listening to the tracks by starting with an ancestor track and then following up with the corresponding kid troll. So far I'm really liking both tracks for Rust, Gold, Iron, Olive and Teal. I like Cobalt Thief, but I really don't think it fits as a Vriska tune. Superego works better for that, IMO.

Also, regarding the line between plagiarism and homage, I can't be the only one who likes hearing musical callbacks in certain tracks, can I? I really like it when individual characters in media are given a few leitmotifs (and it's probably the thing I liked most about Alterniabound/ Rex Duodecim Angelus) because I definitely think it adds to their characterization.

Going off on another tangent, I'd love to hear another Karkat theme that used elements from "Crustacean".

I am reasonably sure that Cobalt Thief is about how incredibly sad Vriska's character arc was, and that Superego was included because Cobalt Thief didn't invoke that memorable feeling we all get when Vriskachat drums itself up again.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Quotetype posted:

I am reasonably sure that Cobalt Thief is about how incredibly sad Vriska's character arc was, and that Superego was included because Cobalt Thief didn't invoke that memorable feeling we all get when Vriskachat drums itself up again.

Fun fact: As per the credits file, Cobalt Thief was written as a song for Serenity. (Actually most of the first 24 songs were repurposed from the character they were originally intended for).

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
And cue that one contrarian rear end in a top hat who has to hate on anything vaguely reasonable and defend the indefensible

http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/20396275498/those-two-plagiarized-songs

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Gold Mage caught me off guard, because I remember listening to it when the artist first posted it to his tumblr as an idea for a Dirk strife theme. As a Dirk theme it's a bit too techno, but it really works for Sollux.

Also, I really love how consistently good this whole album is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Fun fact: As per the credits file, Cobalt Thief was written as a song for Serenity. (Actually most of the first 24 songs were repurposed from the character they were originally intended for).
And that's how I learned the firefly has a name.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I still cannot believe no one actually wrote a song that was meant to be for Karkat. Maybe everyone was too put off by Hussie's "50 Karkat songs album" joke to write a song about him.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Quite enjoying this so far! Congratulations on getting in, WMM, you had it coming.

Also, I thought this was hilarious:

Radiation's tumblr posted:

I told Andrew “oh man, this album stuff is taking forever, please tell me this is some sort of elaborate April Fool’s prank” earlier today.

This was his response.

I laughed then.

I’m crying now.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I still cannot believe no one actually wrote a song that was meant to be for Karkat. Maybe everyone was too put off by Hussie's "50 Karkat songs album" joke to write a song about him.

I thought this was about the ancestors?

also

Fun facts
"Gold Pilot" was originally "Green Odyssey" and was a song for Becquerel
(http://firstturnfold.tumblr.com/post/17530172487/first-turn-fold-the-green-odyssey-a-song-in)
"Olive Scribe" was originally PM's theme
(http://charredasperity.tumblr.com/post/17593740944/since-the-contests-pretty-much-over-i-just)
"Cobalt Corsair was originally a theme for Andrew Hussie of all people
(http://imbrog.tumblr.com/post/17542376808/homestuck-music-contest-entry-3-hussie-theme)
"Olive Rogue" was originally a song called "Air for Eclectic Bass" which seems like it was for something other than Nepeta.
(http://soundcloud.com/eschweic/air-for-eclectic-bass)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

AuroMarshmallow posted:

There's a very big line between plagiarism and homage. Since Homestuck is a coherent work, it would make sense for the soundtrack to be filled with various callbacks and leitmotifs - heck, the whole fraymotif system is based on that to an extent (what ever happened to that anyway?).

That being said, it's ridiculous that people think they can get away with that. From the ripped Sonic track from a few albums back and now this on probably the "biggest" Homestuck album to date. People really are awful.

Loved the flash and it caught me completely off guard this morning!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hussie it is not a cool thing for grown rear end men to be proposing to tweens.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Fat_Cow posted:

I thought this was about the ancestors?

The first side is for the ancestors, the second side is for the troll players. The songs are organized according to the hemospectrum.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Aren't the "Iron" songs for the Sufferer and Karkat? Were they originally written for other characters?

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 3, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

There were over 700 entries. Even if there was a dearth of Karkat tracks at the beginning, I refuse to believe there were none.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
So. My friend made a thing. I like to think Hussie runs like this in real life now, too.

Also, uh... That was certainly an update. For a second there I was expecting the site to retain that weird "void" around everything, seeing as Hussie has now gone to join the choir invisible. Would have made navigating the site a total bitch, though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

dumb brunette posted:

"Iron Knight" is about Karkat, though? Karkat and the Sufferer are placed where they would be in the spectrum if they were limebloods instead of mutants.

After the contest ended Radiation announced that not a single person had written a song about Karkat, out of the over 700 entries he received. According to the credits "Iron Knight" was originally meant for Davesprite and called "Caw Caw Motherfuckers". (if you buy the album it has all sorts of goodies like credits, original titles/characters, and lyrics, but I'm sure none of you need convincing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

After the contest ended Radiation announced that not a single person had written a song about Karkat, out of the over 700 entries he received. According to the credits "Iron Knight" was originally meant for Davesprite and called "Caw Caw Motherfuckers". (if you buy the album it has all sorts of goodies like credits, original titles/characters, and lyrics, but I'm sure none of you need convincing)

Oh cool, I amended my post to ask this question after I realized it was probably what you meant, but all the same! I'm probably going to buy this album, a lot of the tracks are pretty sweet.

I haven't been to the thread in a while so I might have missed a few things like that :ohdear:

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 3, 2012