Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I have a coworker that only does Cross Fit and Krav Maga. He may be the epitome of elitist fitness douchebag. The punch line being he's not -that- in shape, but he sure likes to act like it.

Oh, and to top it off he does the Paleo diet.

And he's an Army SSG :ssh:
Does he do it up in Columbia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

psydude posted:

Does he do it up in Columbia?

Nope, not in MD. Somewhere in VA.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

smertrioslol posted:

Oh, I agree. Most people who I've run into who only do crossfit are such douchebag fitness elitists that it's impossible to have a conversation with them that doesn't end with you wanting to punch them in the mouth.

But the workouts are so good.

This.

I think crossfit is some sort of weird cult..... No one but one of the really buff instructors really talk to me there while we're waiting for our group to start. They just interact with the other people wearing the stupid crossfit t-shirts.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've mentioned it before but I'm still real skeptical of crossfit. I'm not saying it doesn't make chicks hot (and dudes look normal) or kick your butt. But something about the total randomness of the workout sequence, the lack of some sort of standard amongst gym/teachers/whatever they call them. All that and the fact of doing intense compound lifts at high reps with poo poo form just for the sake of hitting a quota irks me. 45 deadlifts with improper form or whatever? I like my back.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Christoff posted:

I've mentioned it before but I'm still real skeptical of crossfit. I'm not saying it doesn't make chicks hot (and dudes look normal) or kick your butt. But something about the total randomness of the workout sequence, the lack of some sort of standard amongst gym/teachers/whatever they call them. All that and the fact of doing intense compound lifts at high reps with poo poo form just for the sake of hitting a quota irks me. 45 deadlifts with improper form or whatever? I like my back.

The thing is, you can still do whatever you want. I don't give a gently caress if there's a workout that's 30 snatches in a row and then 30 heavy deadlifts. I'll either make the weight lighter so I can do it right, not do the workout at all and do my own thing, or just take my sweet rear end time. There are 3 dudes (out of about 140 members) in my gym who I give utmost respect and they all do the same thing.

I consider my monthly membership fee to be equipment and space rental. There's just an added perk of someone coming up with workouts for me because I'm especially lazy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

That's probably because it's not designed to turn you into a pro wrestler, it's designed to make you incredibly lean with a strong cardiovascular system. Different people have different goals, and different goals require different workouts.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
drat you Jack3d for not letting me take you for 2 days out of the week.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Kaliber posted:

This.

I think crossfit is some sort of weird cult..... No one but one of the really buff instructors really talk to me there while we're waiting for our group to start. They just interact with the other people wearing the stupid crossfit t-shirts.
$150 bucks a month at the gym here in el paso. Figured I'd give it a look, I like the idea of an instructor watching my form for some of the lifts. Unless I do their intro program, I'm limited to certain odd hours and their intro program is only offered during business hours. 150 bucks a month? No thanks. 0500, 0600, and 1900 only? No thanks. I even crushed the baseline and they weren't flexible with the hours.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah its about the same around DC, but I've seen higher as well. When I ask how they justify it they get indignant and ramble about how you're paying for the experience and access to top notch equipment and trainers.

Cool selling point, guy. With 1,800 dollars I can probably afford to buy my own oversized truck tire, rope, and olympic bar with plates.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of normal gyms have all of the equipment required for crossfit these days, anyway. All it takes then is dropping a few bucks for a workout manual and finding a friend or two to do it with.

Or you could do P90X and skirt the whole issue of equipment entirely.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

A lot of normal gyms have all of the equipment required for crossfit these days, anyway. All it takes then is dropping a few bucks for a workout manual and finding a friend or two to do it with.

Or you could do P90X and skirt the whole issue of equipment entirely.

P90X isn't bad, I guess. I've always been turned off to any kind of workout that comes on a tape/dvd. Don't really have a real reason to justify said turn off either. I stole half of their ab ripper workout for mine, though.

I don't think I would ever sign up for a crossfit gym for more than a month. Once you have a solid understanding of all the lifts, there's no reason to pay that much money. Hell, between all the crap they have on their site to help you learn how to do the lifts on your own (youtube lifts, suggested alternate workouts, forums with all sorts of posts on how to tone down the workouts if you're not ready for them) and the FREE workouts they give everyday, I don't see why anyone goes to a gym for an extended period of time unless they have some motivation problems. I've been doing some research on how much it would cost me to get all the equipment I needed to do their workouts at home, and it's really not that much. Between craigslist and yard sales and potentially some brand new stuff, it's way less than a year at a crossfit gym.

Don't let the commercialized aspect of it turn you off, there's a lot of great ideas to be gleaned from it, even if you're not hardcore into the program. I havn't even started it yet, but I use a lot of their ideas in my own workouts.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The gym I go to $75 a month and the instructors will drat near punch you for having dangerous form. I guess I got very lucky?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Goddamn I miss the Army providing a huge, well equipped, spacious, free-towel providing super gym with pools and racketball courts and all that other craziness, for the low low price of free ninety nine. Even my deployment gym was better than the one I'm currently paying for.

...the price of freedom. :sigh:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Goddamn I miss the Army providing a huge, well equipped, spacious, free-towel providing super gym with pools and racketball courts and all that other craziness, for the low low price of free ninety nine. Even my deployment gym was better than the one I'm currently paying for.

...the price of freedom. :sigh:

I enjoy the crowds in civilian gyms way more.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

I enjoy the crowds in civilian gyms way more.

Being able to get a bench is nice, too.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

Being able to get a bench is nice, too.
Also not being yelled at because my shoes are too bright or whatever the impossible to understand civilian dress code wants.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Also not being yelled at because my shoes are too bright or whatever the impossible to understand civilian dress code wants.

Also, air conditioning.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

Also, air conditioning.

Not having a horde of fatties in APFUs laying on the floor in the middle of the gym struggling to do that tenth pushup while some bored E6 says how they need to run four miles everyday.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Well I don't know what sort of terrible big Army gyms you guys had, but out in the Eurozone things were pretty nice. Vicenza represent. My only problem was feeling inferior around guys who may or may not have found a supplier of Pakistani horse steroids during the last deployment.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Well I don't know what sort of terrible big Army gyms you guys had, but out in the Eurozone things were pretty nice. Vicenza represent. My only problem was feeling inferior around guys who may or may not have found a supplier of Pakistani horse steroids during the last deployment.

We got camel roids here in Qatar :v:

Straight out of the hump of the camel

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

What I hate about Smith Gym at Benning? loving 100000000 swole rear end loving Rangers everywhere all the time.

Can't wait to go back to Hawaii where I can choose between Pearl Harbor or the Hickam Gym, or go home and relax and then go to Shafter where it's empty 24/7 cause it's all lazy pogues who never work out and I'm one of the regulars/stronger more in shape guys.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Kaliber posted:

What I hate about Smith Gym at Benning? loving 100000000 swole rear end loving Rangers everywhere all the time.

Can't wait to go back to Hawaii where I can choose between Pearl Harbor or the Hickam Gym, or go home and relax and then go to Shafter where it's empty 24/7 cause it's all lazy pogues who never work out and I'm one of the regulars/stronger more in shape guys.

Haha I was just there. I feel inferior every trip, but everyone there just does "bro" exercises. The squat rack is very rarely used for squatting.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ashmole posted:

Haha I was just there. I feel inferior every trip, but everyone there just does "bro" exercises. The squat rack is very rarely used for squatting.

Like just there right now? If you were, you probably saw me. Asian guy with his chest puffed out wearing a white t-shirt 2 sizes too small doing chest/back/abs

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Like just there right now? If you were, you probably saw me. Asian guy with his chest puffed out wearing a white t-shirt 2 sizes too small doing chest/back/abs

I left at about 1830, but I don't remember anyone fitting your description. That smoothie place is awesome.

I'm not sure if it's starting strength or what, but my push-ups have gone waaaaay up as a result of whatever I've been doing, so I'm happy about this.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
The problem with Crossfit is that it is pretty much retarded dangerous if you do the recommended main site WODs. Just google Crossfit slap tear, or blown achilles and look for yourself. That is not to say that some of the privately owned crossfit gyms don't have good coaches that implement smart programming. However remember all that is required to be a crossfit "coach" is a one weekend course that cost a thousand dollars.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I haven't had a smoothie there yet. I usually go around 19:30ish when the place dies down and I can actually get in a good work out.

That's awesome that your push ups are going way up! And I wouldn't be too worried about the guys there and the weights you throw up. When I first started working out in Afghanistan I was barely able to bench the 95 pounds for more than 2 sets. Now I can dumbbell press 95 LBS in each hand. I was always embarrassed of that and used it as an excuse not to hit the gym. Then I said gently caress it, everyone started somewhere right?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every time my bench max increases, my pushup score decreases. The only way I get better at pushups is by doing pushups. gently caress that. I'll just take the 80 points and roll with it.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just do 20 reps of weighed dips for 5 sets to help with my push ups. it's basically the same movement.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I used to do dumbbell presses. I was stuck at 65 chest-to-ground for over a year. Like I was consistently doing that. I stopped doing that poo poo and started doing Starting Strength and just doing the bench presses. I do 100 push-ups before I start though. I knock out as many as possible without resting.

A year ago it was 37 chest-to-ground, now it's 50. It's either I broke a psychological block, or I'm training smarter and less bro-ey. I missed maxing by 2 last PT test, but I got 60 (c2g) in a minute so I must be doing something right.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

psydude posted:

Every time my bench max increases, my pushup score decreases. The only way I get better at pushups is by doing pushups. gently caress that. I'll just take the 80 points and roll with it.

Are you gaining body weight when doing so? Because that could be the reason. If you gain strength while maintaining the same body weight I don't see how your pushups could go down. Dips can also be useful for that as one person pointed out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elgar posted:

Are you gaining body weight when doing so? Because that could be the reason. If you gain strength while maintaining the same body weight I don't see how your pushups could go down. Dips can also be useful for that as one person pointed out.

No, I've lost about 12 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

e: Although I haven't really bothered to gauge my pushup score since then, so maybe it's gone up.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Are you basing your max on 1RM 3RM or 5RM? What sort of program are you doing it in?

Also, finally squatted 260 X 5 X 3 again after having 5 interruptions working back up to. I hope to keep on till at least 315 if not 350.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pftt. you people and your weights.

Come talk to me when you want a REAL man's workout.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ikillyou_4_food
Apr 3, 2012
i run for 20 minutes
row 2-3k meters
then lift for one muscle group 5 times a week.

not the greatest if you are readying to storm some bunker in a sand covered shithole with your spec-ops bros, but works well enough to get a good on your prt, and build some strength.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

MurderBot posted:

Pftt. you people and your weights.

Come talk to me when you want a REAL man's workout.

Are you planning on meeting your future ex-wife there or something? I couldn't even take this seriously the one time I saw it on base. It was a bunch of (mostly fat) wives and one hot instructor doing awful dance moves. Even the fatties barely looked like they broke a sweat.

This horribly agitating NCO I work with swears by it. She also swears that running "is no longer a challenge to me like Zumba is." She gets an 80 on her PT test.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

smertrioslol posted:

Are you planning on meeting your future ex-wife there or something? I couldn't even take this seriously the one time I saw it on base. It was a bunch of (mostly fat) wives and one hot instructor doing awful dance moves. Even the fatties barely looked like they broke a sweat.

This horribly agitating NCO I work with swears by it. She also swears that running "is no longer a challenge to me like Zumba is." She gets an 80 on her PT test.

Zumba: Because some people can't afford to buy Dance Dance Revolution.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm doing it because it makes my butt curvy.

Actually I've never done Zumba, I swim, Bike, Run... Like a loving Man..
who wears spandex..

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

smertrioslol posted:

See that's why gently caress army gyms. A gym I used to go to did zumba and it was always super fit toned as gently caress women.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Getting all sweaty and shiny...and tired...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

gleep glop posted:

Getting all sweaty and shiny...and tired...

Like a gazele falling out from the herd.

Actually one of my soldiers teaches it on Stewart, she always wants to make here squad do zumba instead of prt.