Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ironic Twist posted:

Annie's not hurt. She's being taped up for a sparring match, isn't she? Boxers tape up their hands, I guess judo fighters might tape up their feet.

Mmm, never did tape myself while doing judo, only in boxing. My money's on injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I know that people do wrappings sometimes in things like Muay Thai but that just looks like an ace bandage to me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Anthony Carver is a medical doctor who is taping up Annie's foot and Annie is looking both as though this was an unexpected development as well as in a minor amount of distress which would not be the case were she preparing for a competition and points to the reasonable conclusion that she is injured perhaps a sprained ankle or similar problem which can be treated by keeping the joint stiff through the use of a bandage such as the one Anthony is applying.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 2, 2012

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Saoshyant posted:

Hm, was kind of hoping Tom would make something special for April Fools what with going full time. Kind of a missed opportunity for a funny gag.

vvvv it's expected a joke to be on the day.

Perhaps today's page is the April Fool. In the real version Anthony just shrugs and leaves.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Put this into perspective with the story Donny recounted and what he told Annie: "The point is, with Tony, the smallest thing can carry the greatest weight." I think it's pretty obvious she's looking back to what she could only see as a detached, professional treatment of an injury, and realising that her father was actually probably sickly worried, even if he didn't show it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oneiros posted:

I took Taekwondo lessons as a child (about Annie's age in this scene, really) and let me tell you that if you don't have tough soles to begin with, you are in for a world of pain. I had blisters over more than 50% of the bottoms of both feet. Ended up with great callouses, though :v:.

I never got blisters with TKD. But I had tough-rear end feet anyway. And yeah, those do look like Tae Kwon Do doboks, but they would be blackbelt suits due to the black stripe round the edge.

But to the best of my knowledge, nobody I know taped their feet for TKD.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Cowcaster posted:

Anthony Carver is a medical doctor who is taping up Annie's foot and Annie is looking both as though this was an unexpected development as well as in a minor amount of distress which would not be the case were she preparing for a competition and points to the reasonable conclusion that she is injured perhaps a sprained ankle or similar problem which can be treated by keeping the joint stiff through the use of a bandage such as the one Anthony is applying.

Sorry I asked.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

All of the doboks I've seen are closed in the front, like a t-shirt, rather than open like a jacket. I don't think we're really supposed to be able to tell which martial art it is.

The left lapel really should go over the right one, though

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Van Kraken posted:

All of the doboks I've seen are closed in the front, like a t-shirt, rather than open like a jacket. I don't think we're really supposed to be able to tell which martial art it is.

I definitely have seen a few of the jacket-style doboks, but the smock ones are more common for TKD due, I believe, to the lack of necessity for much in the way of grabbing them, so they don't have to be able to come apart without ripping. Sadly, I was about to comment on how the belt knots worked, but we can't see them.

It's been several years since I practiced, too. I'm such a dork.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ironic Twist posted:

Sorry I asked.

Sorry I'm just annoyed that Tea-san goes to the trouble of having good, expressive art and doesn't feel the need to crush everything with an avalanche of words yet people consistently mix up characters and come up with the goofiest explanations for the simplest things.

Especially considering a lot of these same people spend their time making fun of comics like ctrl alt del for doing the opposite.

edit: Basically I just love gunnerkrigg court so much guys.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 2, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Van Kraken posted:

Maybe they're secretly dead.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry I'm just annoyed that Tea-san goes to the trouble of having good, expressive art and doesn't feel the need to crush everything with an avalanche of words yet people consistently mix up characters and come up with the goofiest explanations for the simplest things.

Especially considering a lot of these same people spend their time making fun of comics like ctrl alt del for doing the opposite.

edit: Basically I just love gunnerkrigg court so much guys.

If I were Tea-san, I'd just take down my Formspring and let people (like me) babble on by themselves. 95% of the time, people's questions (like mine) are answered in a few pages anyways. The fact that he has one and consistently updates it shows that he's pretty drat generous to his fans. There's always going to be someone that doesn't pick up on a detail, and that same person might interpret the next page in an astute way. It's all subjective to who's reading and I'm just glad Tea-san isn't trying to satisfy everyone at once by narrating and explaining every little thing in-comic.

Also wordiness is the least of CAD's problems.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 2, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hey guys, Gunnerkrigg needs a little help in the latest round of that webcomics bracket. It managed to take out Penny Arcade and Questionable Content, but it's down about 500 votes under MS Paint Adventures.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

Hey guys, Gunnerkrigg needs a little help in the latest round of that webcomics bracket. It managed to take out Penny Arcade and Questionable Content, but it's down about 500 votes under MS Paint Adventures.
That's already a super-impressive performance.

I don't see anything beating Homestuck because... well, Homestuck fans, but it would be wonderful to see GC pull that off.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hussie actually asked for people to vote for Gunnerkrigg over him, so it might have a chance.

Neither Goblins or OOTS should win, though. God no.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"Within 500 votes of MSPA" sounds like a rousing success to me. Gunnerkrigg is clearly the best :c00l:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Does anyone have the big avatar post? I, uh, made the mistake of arguing with someone in D&D.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

Does anyone have the big avatar post? I, uh, made the mistake of arguing with someone in D&D.

There's a link to it in the OP, but here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&pagenumber=139#post399784438

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ta

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

I'd like to claim this, please, since I see it's still available?
(Apologies in advance if a post in the thread isn't the right way to announce this...)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

POINDEXTRE posted:

I'd like to claim this, please, since I see it's still available?
(Apologies in advance if a post in the thread isn't the right way to announce this...)
It isn't available anymore!

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

MikeJF posted:

Better not make the mistake of naming it "phhhhhhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbttttttttttttt."

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
This was most likely one of the few happy memories she had of her dad. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alas, traumatic head injury.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I can sort of see how that would be memorable. I'm a martial arts instructor and just yesterday one of my students actually did this; she grabbed the hem of my uniform and rubbed it between her fingers. She was 'kinda interested to feel what that tougher uniform, like, feels like.'

The cheap-o uniforms are usually some form of cottonblend. Proper martial arts uniforms are usually canvas, rather rough and covered in sweat BLLUUUUHHHHHHHK.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

SynthOrange posted:

Alas, traumatic head injury.

When she grabbed the uniforms helm the Judo instincs of his dad kicked in and he threw her across the room. Tragic.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, it's nice that she has some good memories of her dad. Still didn't feature any active involvement by Tony in forming this good memory, but it's not all bad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wili posted:

When she grabbed the uniforms helm the Judo instincs of his dad kicked in and he threw her across the room. Tragic.

I want a comedy update of this drawn in Tom's minimalist style so badly.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Oh, Annie. It's hard to love someone who's emotionally available. (don't turn into your father, kid!)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why isn't Annie's head shaped like an American football in this flashback? My sense of continuity is ruined.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling this is the end of the pretty flashback art :cry:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The latest page really is beautiful.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

The latest page really is beautiful.

I always enjoy the art in Gunnerkrigg, but the art style Tom uses for flashbacks and strips involving the ether are absolutely gorgeous. Time consuming, I would imagine, but incredibly beautiful.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I agree that the art is great, but... I dunno, the last couple of pages didn't really resonate with me very much. It all felt a little too vague and abstract.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh yeah, if anyone wants to buy a Laser Cow t-shirt, then they should do it soon because apparently it's going out of stock.

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
Momma's stitching?

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Wili
Available:

Yeah, think I'm going to claim this and grab it sometime in the next two-three days (no clue on text, will think of something maybe) Thanks to everyone that's been submitting avatars for this! (This one's still available, right?)

Kinda hoping we get a comic or two of the delivery to Anthony and his reaction or lack thereof. Would be cool to get an idea of where he is, even if Annie won't be learning it for a long while. (Or maybe they'll track the package they send?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Torokasi posted:

Yeah, think I'm going to claim this and grab it sometime in the next two-three days (no clue on text, will think of something maybe) Thanks to everyone that's been submitting avatars for this! (This one's still available, right?)

The only text suitable for it would be PPPBBBTTTTTHHHHTTPPPPPBBBBTTTHHHHPPPPPPBBBBHHHTTTTTHHHPBBBBTTTTTTTHHHHPPPP.