Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Well Manicured Man posted:

After the contest ended Radiation announced that not a single person had written a song about Karkat, out of the over 700 entries he received. According to the credits "Iron Knight" was originally meant for Davesprite and called "Caw Caw Motherfuckers". (if you buy the album it has all sorts of goodies like credits, original titles/characters, and lyrics, but I'm sure none of you need convincing)

It also has adorable alternate art for Olive Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Honestly I think he should have taken out the name Iron Knight, had the rest of the album flow normally and then at the very bottom of the track list: Caw Caw, Motherfuckers. Honestly that is the best name for a song I've ever heard.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Poor Vriska is having a really rough afterlife.

e: that said, Vriska's face does look like it would make a perfect avatar. So she can take some condolence in that?

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 3, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
...Okay, this has been bugging the hell out of me.

Violet Prince is based on something. I know it. Specifically, that recurring bit that's almost a military march but not quite. It's something, I recognize it, but I can't quite pick from where. Maybe I'm just being reminded of the Pig Masks from Mother 3, but I doubt it. Can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: vv Holy poo poo it is!

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 3, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cleretic posted:

...Okay, this has been bugging the hell out of me.

Violet Prince is based on something. I know it. Specifically, that recurring bit that's almost a military march but not quite. It's [i]something[i], I recognize it, but I can't quite pick from where. Maybe I'm just being reminded of the Pig Masks from Mother 3, but I doubt it. Can anyone help me out here?

Leekspin.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Leekspin.

:stare:

Ugh, I'll never unhear it now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

WAR FOOT posted:

Poor Vriska is having a really rough afterlife.

e: that said, Vriska's face does look like it would make a perfect avatar. So she can take some condolence in that?
Take yer pick:

By the way, Gold Mage is my favorite because it sounds like a missing level from the wonderfully unknown HyperZone for the SNES. Just take a listen to any level and you'll hear a little bit of Gold Mage. http://youtu.be/i90bBSKFGKk

VVV: Yeah take it!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 3, 2012

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Take yer pick:

By the way, Gold Mage is my favorite because it sounds like a missing level from the wonderfully unknown HyperZone for the SNES. Just take a listen to any level and you'll hear a little bit of Gold Mage. http://youtu.be/i90bBSKFGKk

D'aw, she's so repulsed by everything.

How perfect for a Homestuck Thread.

(Mind if I steal the one on the right?)

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
This was brought up about a week ago, but since I've updated it for the new album it bears mentioning again:

Tagstuck is a program I wrote that "fixes" the metadata on Homestuck music so that it credits the correct artist for each track.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Walliard posted:

This was brought up about a week ago, but since I've updated it for the new album it bears mentioning again:

Tagstuck is a program I wrote that "fixes" the metadata on Homestuck music so that it credits the correct artist for each track.

Question: Does it change the album artist or the song artist in the tag? Because the music organizer I use flips the gently caress out if you mess with the album artist.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Bobulus posted:

Question: Does it change the album artist or the song artist in the tag? Because the music organizer I use flips the gently caress out if you mess with the album artist.

Song artist. Though there is an option to set the album artist to "Homestuck" for easy organization (on by default).

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
He's giving her one of the A2 rings, which she will take back to A1 and make things happen somehow.

e: Vriska for White Queen.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I have to say, Iron Infidel has to be one of the prettiest goddamn things to ever hit my cochlea. Seriously, I'm in tears from the emotions it's hitting me with. The EMOTIONS, man. It's just beyond words what a great song it is.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ominous Jazz posted:

I bought the Felt album with the new album, so I gotta ask: Who the gently caress is Humphrey?

The guy who originally invented the Midnight Crew made a horrible 'canon' Felt adventure, in which Die called his doll Humphrey.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Eox posted:

The guy who originally invented the Midnight Crew made a horrible 'canon' Felt adventure, in which Die called his doll Humphrey.

I think the pendant seen here is also a reference to that.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Ahahaha oh my god. So I'm sitting here and not ten seconds into Bronze Page, all I can think is "Wow, this song is way too hardcore for Tavros". And then the singing portion starts. :allears: Between this album and the Death-Of-The-Author-update, my day has officially been made.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Well Manicured Man posted:

YES!!! I feel all tingly inside now that it's finally here!

Guess who wrote Rust Servant, Teal Hunter, and Violet Mariner :)

Arg I can't believe I wasn't here when the album was released but congratulations you beautiful bastard, these are all incredible songs (and you're the first track too!)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

DaveKap posted:

VVV: Yeah take it!

Thanks muchski. Now to come up with a suitable phrase to go underneath...

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

I can just imagine how confused new readers who don't know the whole "I LOVE FAT VRISKA" joke would be.

Actually maybe it'd be even funnier without context.

I am a new reader and know nothing about 'fat vriska'. Also, is this album a mix of songs used in flashes, and tons of songs submitted by fans?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't decide if this moment with Hussie and Vriska (assuming this is the spirit of Alpha Vriska and not just some Vriska out in the bubbles) means that Vriska is now effectively unimportant to the story's plot, or whether his interference/encounter here actually means she's more likely to come back (maybe to use the ring for something?)

Hussie's self-insert sort of has a narrative sphere within the comic, where he only interacts with parts of the comic on a very limited basis. Lord English and Doc Scratch interact with him since both of them are trying to wrest control of the comic (and thus the universe) from him, so it's not too strange to see them hanging around with Hussie and then dealing with the kids later. The kids and trolls, on the other hand, have not interacted with him (the prophecised three nanoseconds aside) because there's nothing more toxic to a story than having the characters talk to the authour. It would sort of puncture all of their fairly subtle character development, slow-boiling plotlines, and delicate interrelations to shove the authour into the middle of all that.

So what is it? Is Vriska now an Arthour/Ms. Paint style character, removed from the story proper? Is Hussie going to interfere more directly with the kids and trolls now, setting up Vriska's return (meaning the ring might actually be relevant)? Is this some other Vriska? Is she going to phase quickly into a new bubble and never see Hussie again, limiting the damage he can do to her credibility as a character?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Indigo Archer and Purple Tyrant are gone. I wonder if they will try to keep with the theme and replace them with new Darkleer and (I'm guessing) Grand Highblood songs. Though I guess other entries could be forced into those slots regardless of what the composers had in mind for a theme.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

glug posted:

I am a new reader and know nothing about 'fat vriska'. Also, is this album a mix of songs used in flashes, and tons of songs submitted by fans?

It's from before Hussie deleted his formspring. Linked for too largeness:

http://tinypic.com/r/l8c52/5

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

WAR FOOT posted:

It's from before Hussie deleted his formspring. Linked for too largeness:

http://tinypic.com/r/l8c52/5

That's spectacular. I'm disappointed now that it's horse world and not sea world. I guess we know what she says in response to his proposal.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

glug posted:

I am a new reader and know nothing about 'fat vriska'.

All the fandom stuff is going to be really weird to people in about two years (assuming Homestuck eventually finishes). Between Hussie's twitter/tumblr/formspring and the fandom creating in-jokes like Pantskat, reading the comic "live" gives so much more enjoyment and hilarity.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Radio Paranoia posted:

All the fandom stuff is going to be really weird to people in about two years (assuming Homestuck eventually finishes). Between Hussie's twitter/tumblr/formspring and the fandom creating in-jokes like Pantskat, reading the comic "live" gives so much more enjoyment and hilarity.

There honestly isn't much that is gonna be alien to new readers. Pantskat began inside the comic and is pretty low-key for a joke. Fat characters and got tiger aren't in at all. Hussie has consistently and vehemently argued against the idea that the story is meant for something other than an archival reading from start to finish, and he makes great effort to get the pacing and content in line with that. What little fandom stuff we get are just bones thrown out for us and very tangential.

The marrying Vriska stuff can be funny just for the sake of being funny, we don't need to know how much everyone on the forums kept saying it to think it is funny.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 3, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jokes that I can think of that don't really work without following the various out-of-comic stuff:

- Asking Vriska to marry him
- Gamzee going Hero Mode when he saw the ICP video (would anyone have even noticed he never got a hero mode sprite if the fans didn't bitch about it?)

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Elysiume posted:

That deserves a picture:

That hadn't even crossed my mind.

That seems like an overreaction on her part, but I guess that answers my question.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

TOAST7312 posted:

That seems like an overreaction on her part, but I guess that answers my question.

Is it, though? People have been asking her dumb/inappropriate questions about Homestuck and Hussie for a while.

For example, when Meenah first appeared, softowl clarified that the character had braids and not a rat-tail. Someone eventually commented about sneaking into her house and braiding her hair when she slept.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

TOAST7312 posted:

To be fair, she apparently hadn't heard of the times that other webcomic artists proposed in their comics, like Gabe from Penny Arcade.

Also, people yell at her all day about stupid poo poo like homestuck merchandise not showing up fast enough or Hussie's team protecting his copyright.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TOAST7312 posted:

I see that she didn't actually say no. Well played, softowl. When is the date she, the Huss and Vriska has set?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bobulus posted:

Jokes that I can think of that don't really work without following the various out-of-comic stuff:

- Asking Vriska to marry him
- Gamzee going Hero Mode when he saw the ICP video (would anyone have even noticed he never got a hero mode sprite if the fans didn't bitch about it?)

I remember when I was reading through the archives initially the whole thing with Andrew in the attic and that loving wolf was kind of odd and out of nowhere. I think the Troll romance rant was really funny, even without being around at the time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TOAST7312 posted:

People were being very rude to her and she was getting tons of people saying it. It may not have been nice, but I can't fault her.

What's the Morse code in Cobalt Thief? The first part is 'please,' and all I can get from the last bits is 'he.' I assume it's 'please help'? Is there more?
edit: Does Indigo Heir have more code or is it just boops and beeps?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 3, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

drat, I can't find the post in the thread about who made that art of Vriska that was on the Hussie death page.

Little help?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I don't blame Hussie's GF for the way she answers stuff, since the fanbase can be really abrasive and short with her for little to no reason outside of some overblown sense of entitlement. Wives and girlfriends of actual celebrities tend to get similar treatment in any fandom--the dude is propelled to idol status and their partner is either not good enough for them or is just 'in the way' of things (mostly fangirls). It's not fair but it's pretty common. Softowl is unique in that she tends to try and play damage control in lieu of Hussie's typical troll responses, but she really shouldn't have to. Such is the fate of the internet celebrity, I guess. You're notable enough to have a decent-sized fanbase, but not popular enough to warrant a publicist or an actual barrier from the crazies.

re: inside references and archival reading, I never got the wolf thing at the time but the oddness of it became funny to me; same with Gamzee's hero/murder mode. Hell, up until that point I had no idea what hero mode even was! I just figured the guy was blurred out all the time because he was kind of a weirdo. I wouldn't say it spoiled the comic for me or anything though--If anything the self-referential humor that people don't get just ends up becoming the absurdist/non sequitur kind.

Koush
Sep 11, 2011

Elysiume posted:

What's the Morse code in Cobalt Thief? The first part is 'please,' and all I can get from the last bits is 'he.' I assume it's 'please help'? Is there more?
edit: Does Indigo Heir have more code or is it just boops and beeps?

"Please help him"; it's hard to make out if you're trying to focus on the tones, but if you listen to the synth it's following the same rhythm.

As far as I can tell Indigo Heir is just "SOS", over and over again. :(

edit:

Bobulus posted:

drat, I can't find the post in the thread about who made that art of Vriska that was on the Hussie death page.

Little help?

http://fav.me/d306esa

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Man I'm loving the fan music album, although Gold Mage felt like I was listening to the Sonic CD japanese soundtrack! Very 90s. The only problem is now I feel sad that I missed the opportunity to participate in it. :(

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Koush posted:

As far as I can tell Indigo Heir is just "SOS", over and over again. :(

It was originally a theme for Dirk, so probably something to do with him being destroyer of souls

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Prison Warden posted:

I remember when I was reading through the archives initially the whole thing with Andrew in the attic and that loving wolf was kind of odd and out of nowhere. I think the Troll romance rant was really funny, even without being around at the time.

I've been reading this comic from the start, and sporadically kept up with the fan base, but I didn't even know the wolf head was a fandom thing. It's a fandom thing?

VVVVVVVVV

That's what I always thought it was! I've seen the movie (years and years ago), and forgot that one particular part, but given how everything else matched up with it I just assumed the wolf head did too. But then fandom talk and I thought maybe it was actually some in-joke or something.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 3, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ As far as I know, it's just a Neverending Story reference to match up with him earlier riding a Falcor for no real reason.

Prison Warden posted:

You get the wolf thing now, right?

I'm kind of terrified that there's already a generation that hasn't seen a film that was so huge to my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This video still contains my favorite Fat Vriska joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8HOWTja_s