Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

chippy posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the UAC elevation prompt for one application only? I have RivaTuner settings my graphics cards fans to 100% on startup and it triggers the prompt every time. It's a bit annoying and if I'm not in the room to click it at the time it eventually times out and disappears and then my fans are left not running fast enough.

If you mean when you start up your computer/log in, create a scheduled task that launches the application with highest privileges. If you mean you want to be able to launch it whenever and not see a prompt, there aren't really any pleasant solutions for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

chippy posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the UAC elevation prompt for one application only?

To expand on what Factor Mystic said:

First, remove any start-up entries for RivaTuner from the startup via msconfig.

Then, and this is counter-intuitive, you need to uncheck any of the custom settings you have running at Windows startup in the RivaTuner control panel. (Anything here that writes to the registry Run key will trigger UAC.)

Go to Task Scheduler >Create Basic Task >Name it >When I log on >Start a Program >Point it to the .exe's location. Under 'Add arguments' put -T to have it start minimized.

Before you select Finish, check the box that says Open the Properties for this task when I click Finish Then on the General tab, select Run with highest privileges to bypass UAC.

Now to run your custom settings at boot, go to the Scheduler tab in RivaTuner and schedule the tasks to run at the startup of Riva Tuner and not at Windows startup.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any program or website that will allow me to create a PDF form out of an already existing PDF document, without having to shell out for Adobe Acrobat X (it's just not a big deal enough to warrant buying a product that I'll only use once or twice)?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any program or website that will allow me to create a PDF form out of an already existing PDF document, without having to shell out for Adobe Acrobat X (it's just not a big deal enough to warrant buying a product that I'll only use once or twice)?

You mean like PDF Pirate? It really depends on the existing document. For one-off things, keep in mind some image editors can open PDF's.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

WorkingStiff posted:

You mean like PDF Pirate? It really depends on the existing document. For one-off things, keep in mind some image editors can open PDF's.

No, I mean, I have a PDF that is basically an image of a form. I was hoping to add text fields over where you would typically pencil in your info on the printed form.

I guess maybe I could do this on Word?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

No, I mean, I have a PDF that is basically an image of a form. I was hoping to add text fields over where you would typically pencil in your info on the printed form.

Not that I'm aware of. Basically you have a big picture of a form you want to put editable form fields on? Or do you just want to fill out a one-time form? Keep in mind, Acrobat has a 30 day trial version you can download.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
Dreamscene wallpapers may be a bit old/unused, but thought I would share what I ran across a bit ago.

Windows Dreamscene using EVE Hanger videos. Looks pretty dang cool if you like Spaceships/EVE

Example Video

EVE Dreamscene 1080P *Right Click, Save As* Backup Link

Dreamscene Enabler for Windows 7

Just put the .WMV file wherever you want to keep it, run the Dreamscene Enabler and then right click on the .WMV and set as desktop background. *Pauses playback while certain windows are fullscreen.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Word can do that.

Editboxes are hidden in the bloody developer bit of the ribbon.

then:

File | Protect Document | Restrict Editing | Editing Restrictions: Filling in forms.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last week I got a virus that hid all of the files on my system (I did not turn off real-time protection, MSE! I don't know what the hell did! :argh:). So as part o the fix, of course I recursively unhid everything. Including system files that should be hidden like desktop.ini, thumbs.db, etc.

Is there a utility or command line that will set the proper permissions for system files and directories?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Having those files unhidden shouldn't really cause any functional problems. If you're annoyed at seeing them, just do a search for all files names "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini", select them all and hide them; outside of the system folders those are pretty much the only ones you're likely to see.

That said, if it really were a malware infection that caused the issues (no offence meant but it REALLY sounds like a user accident), I would back up all your non-executable data, wipe the system drive and reinstall Windows, just as standard operating procedure.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

NihilCredo posted:

That said, if it really were a malware infection that caused the issues (no offence meant but it REALLY sounds like a user accident)

I've seen this type of malware several times. It hides all the files and users can no longer click start menu items and poo poo because it's all hidden. I've always just flattened and restored the machines though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I need a quick and dirty way to convert segments of video files (WMV or MPEG) into animated gifs. Is there a program out there that I can feed a video file and designate a timeframe(s) (e.g. 1:32 to 1:43) and it spits out a gif of the video between those times?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

IT Guy posted:

I've seen this type of malware several times. It hides all the files and users can no longer click start menu items and poo poo because it's all hidden. I've always just flattened and restored the machines though.

I've had the same thing happen to a couple people's pcs at work too, they run with non-admin accounts and I couldn't see where anything outside of the userprofile and all users profile was touched. I rebuilt profiles and wiped out the all users and replaced it with an all users from a similar config'ed machine in the same dept.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Wagonburner posted:

I've had the same thing happen to a couple people's pcs at work too, they run with non-admin accounts and I couldn't see where anything outside of the userprofile and all users profile was touched. I rebuilt profiles and wiped out the all users and replaced it with an all users from a similar config'ed machine in the same dept.

I've never had the problem at work but we also force UAC through a GPO and XP machines get it too via group policy extensions.

Only time I've ever seen it is home users who use poo poo like FrostWire running admin accounts in the year of our lord 2012.

Edit: What do you guys who make network diagrams use these days? Visio is kind of poo poo in my opinion.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Visio.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to stream video from my computer to my Roku. I've heard that Plex is a pretty good system; any others? I could have sworn I had seen my Roku show up in the Devices and Printers control panel or somewhere like that, which led me to believe there might be some kind of native support, but I don't see it anymore. What kind of options do I have?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

IT Guy posted:

Edit: What do you guys who make network diagrams use these days? Visio is kind of poo poo in my opinion.

If it's something small I just use http://www.gliffy.com/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mak0rz posted:

I need a quick and dirty way to convert segments of video files (WMV or MPEG) into animated gifs. Is there a program out there that I can feed a video file and designate a timeframe(s) (e.g. 1:32 to 1:43) and it spits out a gif of the video between those times?

The quickest way I ever found was to export the frames with VirtualDub (you can set in and out points) and put in a 'decimate' filter to kill every x frames, depending on how many I might need (otherwise the GIF will be too big.) You could manually delete frames yourself after export, of course.
Then import the folder of images into Photoshop as layers and save as a GIF.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just rebooted my computer, and it forgot half of a lot of stuff. For example, my RSS program, Dropbox, and Trillian all wanted me to set up accounts. I rebooted again, and chkdsk ran and fixed a whole bunch of poo poo, but it didn't seem to have any affect. How can I go about seeing if I can recover? My taskbar isn't even the way I had it before!

e: It seems that Windows Recovery mostly saved my rear end. I'd like to know what the gently caress happened, though. It seems that a driver update is the likely culprit, and I'd really like to know what kind would cause that sort of behavior (hard drive?).

hooah fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 5, 2012

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
So I built my computer last August with the intent to mostly do gaming/school work on it and at the time decided to go with Windows XP Pro and XP 64-bit since XP has been the gold standard of PC for a long time. Everything works with it(mostly) and I have multiple licenses for it.

However, as the dreaded end-of-support date slowly inches closer I've been considering moving over to Windows 7. I've also found out that I am entitled to multiple Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate licenses at my university and place of employment which do not expire which sweetens the deal.

I tried Windows 7 RC way back in 2009 which proved to be worse than Windows ME at launch so I am still rather skeptical about going to it now. I've seen that most (if not all) of the programs I actually use work in windows 7 thanks to XP mode and its other compatibility options. The only obviously apparent issues I see are wrestling with the GUI till its not visually offensive and MIDI. One problem I don't think a solution exists for yet is the MIDI device problem in window 7. In XP you can select a MIDI device with this nifty screen.

The ability to change the MIDI device simply doesn't appear to exist in Windows 7 for what ever reason. I've seen and heard of 3rd party programs which allow the user to select different MIDI devices in Windows 7 but they seem to be Hit and Miss in terms of actually working. I don't need the ability to mess around with MIDI devices but it's kind of like having deodorant; things can get stinky without it.

The above being said, is it worth going-to/multi-booting Windows 7 or should I simply hold out till Windows 8/9?

fake edit: Here are my computer's specs in case anyone is wondering. Core i5 2500K, 8GB DDR3-1333, SLI GTX560-TI, 4X WD2002FAEX. I have a feeling XP may be acting like a sort of bottle neck.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nubcakes posted:

stuff

Windows 7 is the best OS MS has ever released. It was considered to be so by nearly everyone from the beta releases all the way up till now.

Not sure where you came up with the idea to compare it to ME. ME was widely hated. Win7 has always been considered fantastic.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

Not sure where you came up with the idea to compare it to ME. ME was widely hated. Win7 has always been considered fantastic.

Because Microsoft of course.

His experience with 7 was colored by how different it was.

Remember, different = bad.

80% of everyone posted:

Windows 7 (and Vista) is bad because it makes me do some things differently than I have for the past X-years. Also, I hate UAC because it does good things for me, but it stops me from doing things the way I have been for the past X-years. The UI sucks because it puts some things in places that they haven't been for the past X-years...

And continue ad-nauseum. People hate change, and people who skipped Vista or (God help us all) even XP will be ill-equipped to deal with the goodness of 7.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Windows 7 is the best OS MS has ever released. It was considered to be so by nearly everyone from the beta releases all the way up till now.

Keep in mind this is the guy with the red to yellow fade on his classic theme, but thinks Win7 is "visually offensive".

Nubcakes posted:

I have a feeling XP may be acting like a sort of bottle neck.

As a self-proclaimed IT professional, I can't tell if this is a troll post or not. Off the top of my head, you cannot take advantage of desktop compositing, all the performance features of your GPU, DX11, all of your RAM, and if you are using XP64, you cannot take advantage of most new drivers and most programs... Every time I have to work on a legacy XP machine I cringe. XP was the gold standard in 2005. This is 2012.

SHSC is probably not the anti-Windows 7 echo chamber you usually frequent.

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nubcakes posted:

Windows XP is the best.

Go get 7. You will not look back.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Holy poo poo, a time traveller!

My favorite part is where he says he won't ever need to choose a different default midi device, but not being able to spells trouble, apparently. Never mind that apart from wmp every program that needs midi for anything has had it's own midi device settings menu since at least 1995.

I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinions, even if all of them are wrong, I guess.

If Win7 is too different for you, wait till you take a look at Win8. You're in for a nasty surprise.

This is such a weird thread to troll, though :confused:

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

Steakandchips posted:

Go get 7. You will not look back.

Your straightforwardness has won me over. Let us test this theory. I am contacting the software distributing personal of my university right now.

I used to be like "XP IS THE BEST!" a year ago, but the longer time wears on the less problems I hear about windows 7. Eventually programs won't support XP in the not so distant future. Change is eventually inevitable.

I view SHSC as a benchmark for testing the waters. The fact that everyone is pushing 7 here seems like a good indicator it's time to move on.

Edit: Hopefully bluetooth support in 7 is better than XP. That is one major problem I do have with XP.

Edit2: I got two keys and a link to a single image for 7 Ultimate. Is it safe to assume the image is for both 32/64 bit?

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What problems did you have with the Win7 beta/RC? It was rock-solid for me from the start.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

Toast Museum posted:

What problems did you have with the Win7 beta/RC? It was rock-solid for me from the start.

There was a painful delay for every action. Trying to open My Computer? Wait 2~5 seconds. Trying to open Device manager? Wait 10 seconds. Every bloody action took more than a second to do where in XP it was quicker than snapping your fingers. When you are trying to navigate things fast, this quickly becomes intolerable.

Edit: oh yes; incompatibility with older programs. Though this problem has been mostly taken care of from what I've seen.

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 5, 2012

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nubcakes posted:

Your straightforwardness has won me over. Let us test this theory. I am contacting the software distributing personal of my university right now.

I used to be like "XP IS THE BEST!" a year ago, but the longer time wears on the less problems I hear about windows 7. Eventually programs won't support XP in the not so distant future. Change is eventually inevitable.

I view SHSC as a benchmark for testing the waters. The fact that everyone is pushing 7 here seems like a good indicator it's time to move on.

Edit: Hopefully bluetooth support in 7 is better than XP. That is one major problem I do have with XP.

Edit2: I got two keys and a link to a single image for 7 Ultimate. Is it safe to assume the image is for both 32/64 bit?

Bluetooth support is more native, but sometimes you may still need to find that one driver to make things work completely (like the S9 BT headphones), once you do though, it works perfect every time.

The 32/64 difference will depend on the ISO similar to the Vista days. I believe if the ISO is >6G then it may have both 32/64bit, but if it is only around 3G, it is only one version or the other.

If the ISO image name has x86/x64 that should help identify it as well.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
It's X86, so probably 32bit. Bleh, looks like I gotta call the university again!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If they only have the 32-bit disc, you can still install the 64-bit version with your key. There are multiple places to get the .isos these days, and are legit to distribute, since the key is the license and all discs are essentially 30-day trial discs.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

AlexDeGruven posted:

If they only have the 32-bit disc, you can still install the 64-bit version with your key. There are multiple places to get the .isos these days, and are legit to distribute, since the key is the license and all discs are essentially 30-day trial discs.

You sure I am not going to run into Key problems? I can't tell you how many times I've run into XP Home keys that didn't work with various XP Home disks we had at the computer shop I worked at years ago. It got to the point where the Boss basically told all techs if a customer doesn't have their own installation disk/recovery partition the company would refuse to work on the computer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nubcakes posted:

You sure I am not going to run into Key problems? I can't tell you how many times I've run into XP Home keys that didn't work with various XP Home disks we had at the computer shop I worked at years ago. It got to the point where the Boss basically told all techs if a customer doesn't have their own installation disk/recovery partition the company would refuse to work on the computer.

Nope. Since Vista, Windows has been bit-level agnostic. I've activated (numerous) 32-bit builds with the sticker from a 64-bit disc and vice-versa, all without issue.

Edit - The only thing that matters anymore is the key level (Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc).

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a solution for separating parts of addresses contained in one cell into multiple cells.

Example: 1111 W Anyroad Rd is contained in a single cell. I want it split into 3 different cells, one for "1111", one for "W Anyroad" and one for "Rd" - basically to split the numerical portion in one cell, any directional component + the name of the location in one cell, and then the type of avenue whether it be st, rd, ave etc into another.

I know this can be done via a built in excel function, but the problem arises when the different parts of an enormous list of addresses are different lengths, i.e.

1111 W Anyroad Rd
22222 NE Whatever Avenue
3 Superawesometown Hwy

Using the fixed width function isn't going to work for something like this, and I can't use the other function that detects things separated by commas since there aren't any built-in separations in this list of places, and adding them in manually isn't any easier than just splitting the portions of all these addresses manually. Is there a way to build a macro that could do something like this automatically?

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nope. Since Vista, Windows has been bit-level agnostic. I've activated (numerous) 32-bit builds with the sticker from a 64-bit disc and vice-versa, all without issue.

Edit - The only thing that matters anymore is the key level (Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc).

Alright cool because the person on the phone from my university doesn't understand what I mean when I ask about getting a 64bit or X64 version. Apparently they just have 1 image they send everyone. It's under 4GB by the way. A quick google search pulled up numerous links to amazon for both versions. Thanks man!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Nubcakes posted:

There was a painful delay for every action. Trying to open My Computer? Wait 2~5 seconds. Trying to open Device manager? Wait 10 seconds. Every bloody action took more than a second to do where in XP it was quicker than snapping your fingers. When you are trying to navigate things fast, this quickly becomes intolerable.

Edit: oh yes; incompatibility with older programs. Though this problem has been mostly taken care of from what I've seen.
It seems you were serious after all. My mistake.

Your early experiences with windows 7 do not align with those I saw in SHSC when the beta was released. So think hardware problem (underpowered?), think driver problem. If that was your experience, yeah, staying on XP made some sense back then. It really didn't with a new computer last summer.

Anyway, as for the aesthetics: I was one of those who religiously switched xp back to the Win98 looks. This was the first thing I did in Windows 7. Then I realised I was missing out on a few of the new features and decided to give it a week. Haven't changed back since. The only thing I do now is turn off the transparency. Can't stand that. Wouldn't want the miss the search in start menu, the different taskbar or aero peek now.

As for incompatibility problems, really, most of it just works. Sometimes running as administrator is required, or setting XP compatibility mode. I found that for just about anything that doesn't work anymore, there's a better, free, up to date alternative as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Kumbamontu posted:

I'm looking for a solution for separating parts of addresses contained in one cell into multiple cells.

Example: 1111 W Anyroad Rd is contained in a single cell. I want it split into 3 different cells, one for "1111", one for "W Anyroad" and one for "Rd" - basically to split the numerical portion in one cell, any directional component + the name of the location in one cell, and then the type of avenue whether it be st, rd, ave etc into another.

I know this can be done via a built in excel function, but the problem arises when the different parts of an enormous list of addresses are different lengths, i.e.

1111 W Anyroad Rd
22222 NE Whatever Avenue
3 Superawesometown Hwy

Using the fixed width function isn't going to work for something like this, and I can't use the other function that detects things separated by commas since there aren't any built-in separations in this list of places, and adding them in manually isn't any easier than just splitting the portions of all these addresses manually. Is there a way to build a macro that could do something like this automatically?
If using macro's isn't a problem, here's a start. Especially the "ExtractElement" and "WordCount" function macros seem relevant. You could get the first element when splitting by space to get the number at the start.

A1: 1111 W Anyroad Rd
A2: =ExtractElement(A1,1," ") [gives you "1111"]
A3: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(A2)-1) [gives you "W Anyroad Rd"]

Or something like that. I don't have Excel here to test it, but you get the general idea.

EDIT: I see you want the "Rd" split of as well. Can't imagine what the use of that could be, but a combination of what's above and the other macro's on the page I linked, should get you there.

EDIT2: Like this:

A1: 1111 W Anyroad Rd
A2: =ExtractElement(A1,1," ") [gives you "1111"]
A3: =ExtractElement(A1,WordCount(A1)," ") [gives you "Rd"]
A4: =MID(A1, LEN(A2)+2, LEN(A1)-LEN(A2)-LEN(A3)-2) [gives you "W Anyroad"]

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 5, 2012

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
2 windows 7 installations, a new bootloader later and I here I am...

Well, The default windows 7 theme is quite irritating for reasons y'all would call silly. Luckily for me there is a windows classic theme! After wrangling with windows 7 for a while I mostly have everything the way I like it. It's a shame they don't have the spruce or pumpkin color schemes for the classic theme.

Drivers actually installed pretty seamlessly. I was expecting more trouble especially with setting up SLI. So far all my programs/games work which is a big plus.

The only issue I immediately notice now is auto-sort. For some reason when I copy files into a folder, instead of placing them at the bottom of the folder's list of files it auto-sorts them in without me needing to press F5. This is simply infuriating. Is there ANY way to turn this off?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That was pretty quick, I can picture you being an XP user though trying to not adapt to Windows 7 (my boss is actually the same way until I showed her the benifits, especially instant search and "Show on Desktop" lol)

Anyway, the workaround for auto sort can be found here but it does involve registry tweeking so be warned.

Welcome to the modern(ish) age. Windows 7 (And for me Vista) really was a good step up from XP, In my experience, outside of 16bit apps (x64 limit) I was able to run more older programs and games with Vista/7 than I was with XP. Windows 8 will be interesting, especially for people like you since it is almost a complete revamp of the interface. I really think it will rock as a Tablet OS (Cannot wait to get my hands on a good Tablet PC with a dedicated GPU) but also wonder what they are going to tweek before the final release for normal PC use, though a lot of people who have stuck with the Previews, say that once you get used to it, it really does work fluidly which I can believe.

Vista had 1 nagging issue that would have driven you nuts (it did for me after a while) even after all the Service Packs and such, the OS still would randomly change the folder layout (from say Detailed view to Picture Thumbnail preview) without anything inside the folder changing to cause this. It was a small issue, but it happened to almost any folder randomly. It was very odd but thankfully any of the little things from Vista were completely fixed in 7, including the ability to run ATI/Nvidia drivers at the same time.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nubcakes posted:

Well, The default windows 7 theme is quite irritating for reasons y'all would call silly. Luckily for me there is a windows classic theme!

Using the classic theme prevents 7 from using any graphics accelerator you might have to draw the desktop, thus taking that burden off the CPU.