Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, i noticed that there are like 20 different ROMS for the kindle fire... what's the best ICS ROM currently? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mister Fister posted:

Hey guys, i noticed that there are like 20 different ROMS for the kindle fire... what's the best ICS ROM currently? Thanks!

I'm running one of the KANG roms, but I got it a while ago and I want to replace it because it's getting slow. This ReloadedRom looks pretty great, I might flash that and give it a try. You're right though, there are way too many ROMS. Most of them seem to be terrible themed versions of other people's stuff though.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Cakefool posted:

Singling any one manufacture out on this is unfair but basically everyone is stealing everyone elses ideas & suing everyone for it. The root of this is the patent system is not well matched to real life.

Sounds about right. I'm content letting lawyers play in their own playground and we'll judge a product on its own merits.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I've tried every one and I found the 2/24 rom to be the most stable if the most bare. The Kang rom is pretty but every version seemed to have different issues (FCs notably). I only tried the Reloaded rom for a few hours and found it really sluggish. This is probably because I was flashing from a CM7 rom, but none of them have hardware acceleration yet. I don't recall there being any other worth mentioning.

Edit: if you want something with an ICS "look" try the CM7 Kang. It includes a nice ICS system theme, add in GOLauncher EX and it feels like a proper tablet while still being able to watch videos.

GoodApollo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 31, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GoodApollo posted:

Edit: if you want something with an ICS "look" try the CM7 Kang. It includes a nice ICS system theme, add in GOLauncher EX and it feels like a proper tablet while still being able to watch videos.

I was wondering about that, looks like that's what I'm going to try next. The last CM7 build I tried had no volume slider and I had to download some stupid app that put one at the side of the screen all the time, which turned me off. This looks good though. Thank you!

Edit: I'm liking this, it has the same volume slider that I was complaining about but I didn't know you could move it and auto-hide. It's not the best solution but it does work. With the ICS theme and lockscreen it looks a lot like ICS. I think taking out the statusbar that is usually there kind of fucks with the dimensions of the screen though, it makes the Swiftkey keyboard take up half the screen which feels huge for some reason.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 1, 2012

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

I was wondering about that, looks like that's what I'm going to try next. The last CM7 build I tried had no volume slider and I had to download some stupid app that put one at the side of the screen all the time, which turned me off. This looks good though. Thank you!

Edit: I'm liking this, it has the same volume slider that I was complaining about but I didn't know you could move it and auto-hide. It's not the best solution but it does work. With the ICS theme and lockscreen it looks a lot like ICS. I think taking out the statusbar that is usually there kind of fucks with the dimensions of the screen though, it makes the Swiftkey keyboard take up half the screen which feels huge for some reason.

I use Volume Control +. It's not as convenient but I hated it on the side. It also matches the ICS theme quite nice. I love the system theme enough that when I updated to the Hellfire rom I dug the apk out of the Kang install so I could keep using it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's what this comes with, actually. And you can move it to the top, which I feel is much better placement.

Edit: Oh, no this comes with Volume Control, not VC+. I'll check it out, thanks.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 1, 2012

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
I just got my Toshiba Thrive from the ebay one day a deal that got listed on deal me in last week.

Paid ~$260 for a 10.1" 16 gig refurb. It didn't look very new when i got it out the box. It wasn't scratched or anything but it just felt abused but maybe I'm nitpicking.

I rooted it as soon as it charged enough to activate the gps exploit.

So far I'm really liking it except for the stupid reminders i get that the tablet is refurbed. What bothers me the most is how the power/resume button sticks.

Those complaints out of the way I really like the drat thing. The full usb port picked up my 1994 compaq keyboard connected with a monoprice dongle without any problems.

The battery life is decent and while there's some wonkiness with some apps overall the rooted-stock experience is blowing me away.

Granted, I've never really used a tablet for extended amounts of time so this is simultaneously the best and worst time I've had using said devices.

While I am annoyed at the relative lack of dev support (as compared to the Kindle Fire or the HP Touchpad even) I have high hopes for the device.

Did any of you (about 500 sold at the price I got it) take the plunge last week? How do longtime users rate the device?

Did I make a mistake?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

burdt posted:

I just got my Toshiba Thrive from the ebay one day a deal that got listed on deal me in last week.

Paid ~$260 for a 10.1" 16 gig refurb. It didn't look very new when i got it out the box. It wasn't scratched or anything but it just felt abused but maybe I'm nitpicking.

I rooted it as soon as it charged enough to activate the gps exploit.

So far I'm really liking it except for the stupid reminders i get that the tablet is refurbed. What bothers me the most is how the power/resume button sticks.

Those complaints out of the way I really like the drat thing. The full usb port picked up my 1994 compaq keyboard connected with a monoprice dongle without any problems.

The battery life is decent and while there's some wonkiness with some apps overall the rooted-stock experience is blowing me away.

Granted, I've never really used a tablet for extended amounts of time so this is simultaneously the best and worst time I've had using said devices.

While I am annoyed at the relative lack of dev support (as compared to the Kindle Fire or the HP Touchpad even) I have high hopes for the device.

Did any of you (about 500 sold at the price I got it) take the plunge last week? How do longtime users rate the device?

Did I make a mistake?

You don't need dev support like the touchpad or fire cause it already runs a proper android.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
A while back, I accidentally dropped my TF101 and knocked the power button loose. That hasn't bothered me too much, since I can turn the screen on and off with the dock, but I've been looking to flash a custom ROM, and that would be inconvenient at best without a reliable way to power the device completely on/off.

I removed the bezel, which was easy, and it looks like the power button on the bezel simply doesn't reach the actual hardware button. I can't figure out how to properly re-align the button, though. I've snapped the bezel back on a few times, but I can't get the power button back in place. It stays loose/mushy.

I've tried looking on Google and other forums, but I can't find much more than "remove the bezel and fix it" or "RMA it to ASUS". I've considered doing an RMA, but I'd rather not send my tablet off for something that seems like a quick DIY fix. Any goons have advice on this issue?

edit: Success! :) Had to push the button into the center of the recess before I put the bezel back on.

Smeego fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 2, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Take it to the ASUS store.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
whoops wrong thread. Thought I was in the Kindle thread

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So apparently the ICS update for my A500 has slipped to the 17th of May (was supposed to be 'April')

Seriously tempted to grab a cheap iPad 2 and forget about Android on the tablet side

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

I'm running one of the KANG roms, but I got it a while ago and I want to replace it because it's getting slow. This ReloadedRom looks pretty great, I might flash that and give it a try. You're right though, there are way too many ROMS. Most of them seem to be terrible themed versions of other people's stuff though.

What does KANG mean? I have been trying to figure that out.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

b0nes posted:

What does KANG mean? I have been trying to figure that out.

A kang is an unofficial version of say cyanogenmod. It is a user modification of something someone else did. Which means! They can either be really good or really bad. It sucks that kanging got so popular because now there are 8000 of them for each version of cyanogenmod for each phone.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Isn't KANG just the name of their unstable raw source tree in the repo? At least until a few weeks ago when CyanogenMod renamed it to unstable because no one understood what KANG meant.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Frozen-Solid posted:

Isn't KANG just the name of their unstable raw source tree in the repo? At least until a few weeks ago when CyanogenMod renamed it to unstable because no one understood what KANG meant.

Nah, it's used more generally, too. If you take someone else's rom, CM or not, and use it as a base for something of your own, it gets labeled as kang. I think it's typically the distinction between an "official" port of some rom to another device, maintained by the original developer(s), vs. a third party porting the code themselves.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Should my original Transformer be able to sleep for a couple of days on a full charge? Before ICS the tablet was still a new toy that I gave a full battery worth of use most days. Since ICS, if I leave it in my bag for a day or two, the device will be dead when I grab it.

I'm assuming this is a new problem, but since I never left it off the charger for long periods before updating, I can't be sure.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

eddiewalker posted:

Should my original Transformer be able to sleep for a couple of days on a full charge? Before ICS the tablet was still a new toy that I gave a full battery worth of use most days. Since ICS, if I leave it in my bag for a day or two, the device will be dead when I grab it.

I'm assuming this is a new problem, but since I never left it off the charger for long periods before updating, I can't be sure.

My Prime can go a few days on a single charge at moderate usage. The battery does run a little when sleeping, but not much at all. I don't have any real stats for you, but I got 3-4 days on a charge with normal usage.

I'd check it at least once a day and see what the battery meter looks like and figure out if it's really using too much power when sleeping or not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also you might consider toggling the wifi off if you're not going to be using it for a while.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Rastor posted:

Also you might consider toggling the wifi off if you're not going to be using it for a while.

There is actually a setting that does this automatically. I think its under settings > asus customization > disconnect wifi or network when turned off. It works really well, my battery lasts much longer now when its turned off. Just be aware you wont get any background alerts when the device is off because it will not be syncing.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Pocketnow claims to have a render of the Nexus tablet:

http://pocketnow.com/android/is-this-the-rumored-galaxy-nexus-tablet-from-google

Seems dubious I know, but they have a long track record of very accurate device renders and leaks.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I guess they had to do something with all those leftover ipad 1 bodies.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crackbone posted:

I guess they had to do something with all those leftover ipad 1 bodies.

They melted them down and re-cast them in 16:10 aspect ratio?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

eddiewalker posted:

There's definitely reports of instability/battery drain on ASUS builds of ICS. I'd just wait to see if the next update resolves it before inflicting a game of battery drain hide and seek/ASUS RMA on yourself.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They melted them down and re-cast them in 16:10 aspect ratio?

:v:

The styling look almost identical to the original ipad. I know there's not a ton of design space for tablets but most makers are veering away from that 90 degree turns style. From what little time I spent with an ipad 1, it doesn't feel as nice as the tapered edges most makers are doing now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Are we sure that's not just an old render of the Toshiba Excite X10? The styling and gaudy red background all scream Toshiba to me.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Volume rocker on the top? :what:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

:v:

The styling look almost identical to the original ipad. I know there's not a ton of design space for tablets but most makers are veering away from that 90 degree turns style. From what little time I spent with an ipad 1, it doesn't feel as nice as the tapered edges most makers are doing now.

I should have had a :v: in there.

Are you talking about the rounded back surface edges or weird corners like the Xyboard™ has? The Xyboard™ looks dumb as hell but I'll bet it's more comfortable to hold.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Biodome posted:

Volume rocker on the top? :what:

And speakers on the side! That's one thing I hate about the 8.9,it is the placement of the volume rocker in portrait mode. The rocker + / - is kind of reversed from how you expect you expect.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
The shot on the right makes it look like the device is dockable, which is why the volume rocker is where it is.

edit: And it's probably the Toshiba AT270.

Smeego fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 3, 2012

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I think they were saying they wanted to make the tablet a 7 or 8 inch screen, which most people tend to use in portrait rather than landscape; so the buttons would be on the side for portrait viewing

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

eddiewalker posted:

If your Transformer is like mine, it spontaneously reboots when not in use with the new ICS update. Sometimes it gets stuck in a boot loop, or hangs during booting, and that's where the power drain is coming from.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Smeego posted:

The shot on the right makes it look like the device is dockable, which is why the volume rocker is where it is.

edit: And it's probably the Toshiba AT270.

Looks like you're right. A Nexus tablet will probably have little in the way of ports. The Galaxy Nexus uses MHL over USB instead of having its own HDMI port and a Nexus tablet might do the same thing. A SD slot is probably out, too.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Looks like you're right. A Nexus tablet will probably have little in the way of ports. The Galaxy Nexus uses MHL over USB instead of having its own HDMI port and a Nexus tablet might do the same thing. A SD slot is probably out, too.

MHL is fine though, you can adapt it to HDMI for really cheap, and if you have a device that actually supports MHL, its far more functional than just HDMI.

I don't think you are going to see much with a micro-hdmi port coming out at all besides devices already in the pipline.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Trip Report: Kindle Fire as a Tablet for the Technologically Retarded

My Aunt and Uncle wanted a little tablet for basic emailing and websurfing as well as OMG ANGRYBIRDS!!!. My aunt wanted a $700 Ipad because she was convinced that was where you play Angry Birds... My uncle wanted a $60 Big Lots made in China number that would barely work. I settled them into the Fire, which is a happy medium. They can barely use a computer, and beyond basic Emailing, their tablet experience probably won't last once the novelty runs out, and I have to be tech support for it, so I wanted something that won't be a big pain in the rear end.

I'll say from the start that I didn't want to root because that's exactly what I would have done for myself... This is for people who are scared of tech. My aunt has an Epic 4g and she is constantly frustrated with it (I used to have that phone, and I loved it until it was accidentally smashed in a car door). I assumed the simplified Kindle skin would be better for them.

First off the screen on this little thing is great. The colors are really bright and welcoming. I looked at a Nook Tablet because I like the specs on it better, but that screen was fugly. Other than the lack of physical buttons the device is really solid and well built. I was impressed.

I was really annoyed with the amazon app store though... I've had a ton of Android phones, and I have a Xoom, so I'm familiar with Amazon's setup, but it's completely different on the Fire. The app store is unnecessarily cluttered with amazon's merchandise store, so much that it makes looking for apps a bit of a chore. Once you dig in and find out how to filter just the apps, you find out that there's no way (that I've found) to filter the categories of apps and see free/paid/top seller/new. The free app of the day (otherwise known as "the only good reason to have the amazon app market") is completely not present. Also a LARGE number of the apps are not compatible with the fire for some strange reason. Trying to show someone how to use this market is pretty much a lost cause. They got way too confused... so more tech support for me.

Also... Because ANGRY BIRDS has been such a big deal through this process, I was a bit surprised to find that only the original AB free version is available. I wasn't able to find compatible ad-supported versions of Seasons, Rio, or Space.

The Email app was also unnecessarily complicated. Instead of giving you a simple "sign into your Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/etc" deal, you have to set up POP or IMAP settings, which is going to again frighten and confuse non tech people. Luckily once I got their email addresses set up it works pretty well. Switching between two email addresses is a two tap process, just as it should be. Teaching them how to do this was easy.

It's currently day two. Basic web browsing and emailing has begun, and they are satisfied, but we will see. After dealing with the awful app store, in which Amazon is seemingly giving their own customers the short end of the stick, I'm tempted to root... But again, that's exactly what I would do, so therefor I have a feeling its the wrong decision. Anyone else have a similar experience?

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 4, 2012

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

JesusDoesVegas posted:

that's exactly what I would do, so therefor I have a feeling its the wrong decision. Anyone else have a similar experience?

All the time.

edit for content. Might wanna get the square trade warranty as well.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

JesusDoesVegas posted:

.Also... Because ANGRY BIRDS has been such a big deal through this process, I was a bit surprised to find that only the original AB free version is available. I wasn't able to find compatible ad-supported versions of Seasons, Rio, or Space.

That's kind of odd. I can get Angry Birds Space through the Amazon Marketplace on all my devices. I wonder why the holdup on the fire.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Its been a few weeks since I was on stock but I recall there being more than the original Angry Birds. Also the free app of the day should be listed at the top when you first load the store. On mine the app store is just apps. To buy books/magazines I had to go to that tab and shop from the separate stores.

There was a recent update so it may have changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kynetx posted:

That's kind of odd. I can get Angry Birds Space through the Amazon Marketplace on all my devices. I wonder why the holdup on the fire.

I know angry birds space requires the hd version, which is paid only.

Sounds like he was clicking on the amazon app, instead of going to the app shelf and clicking on the store there too.