Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Don't forget the super expensive resin you will be purchasing from him too! $350 per liter compared to $40/liter for the lemon curry guy's resin.

A year ago, Junior Veloso could have offered these kinds of prices, people would have ate them up and it would be cutting edge poo poo. Anyone who purchases this stuff today is just a sucker.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah $350 per litre is taking the piss.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Obsurveyor posted:

Don't forget the super expensive resin you will be purchasing from him too! $350 per liter compared to $40/liter for the lemon curry guy's resin.

A year ago, Junior Veloso could have offered these kinds of prices, people would have ate them up and it would be cutting edge poo poo. Anyone who purchases this stuff today is just a sucker.

Yea, that price is right up there with commercial printers. Like the asiga that was just released on saturday. OH YES, 4cm x 3cm x 7.5cm build envelope SIGN ME UP FOR 7 THOUSAND DOLLARS. Mind you they are boasting a pretty impressive 1 micron Z resolution.
https://www.asiga.com/store/

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Obsurveyor posted:

I think that it is a combination of:
1- He is trying to recoup his investment too quickly (I don't think anyone disbelieves that he invested quite a bit of his own money into getting his first prototype running, and a huge portion of his time to write his own software).
2- He is misjudging how much his efforts are actually worth on a per unit basis.
3- He is terrible at sourcing parts/does not want to invest the time/energy/capital to source parts for kits
4- He is misjudging what the market is willing to pay for what he has built at this point in time.

All in all, there is still hope he'll wake up and come up with a more reasonable pricing scheme, investing the necessary energy to source a proper kit, and discard his current process of (seemingly) 'I should make my money back on the first fifteen units sold and then be pure profit from there'. I however, will not be holding my breath for that to happen.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I tried some googling, didn't see much, is there much thought to 3d printing and cnc finishing? I see the types of tolerances even homebuilt cnc machines can achieve and I think it might be neat to print 99% of the finished product, and swap heads, and get the really nice smoothness people want (where applicable). All the mechanics are there.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Kallikrates posted:

I tried some googling, didn't see much, is there much thought to 3d printing and cnc finishing? I see the types of tolerances even homebuilt cnc machines can achieve and I think it might be neat to print 99% of the finished product, and swap heads, and get the really nice smoothness people want (where applicable). All the mechanics are there.

How would you calibrate it?

Remember when people are talking about home 3d printing, the WORST they are talking about is a .5mm (500 micron) resolution, human hairs can be thicker then that. I can't see any way I could reasonably set a tool or workpiece to .5mm (let alone a tuned ultimakers 20 microns)- When people machine to extreme tolerance they do so relative to there other machined points, not to an arbitrary point -- which is what you'd need to do to set up a 'finished' workpiece and then immediately 'finish' it with CNC machining. Further, even if you could figure out some way to set it up- CNC is limited to 2.5d top down, which means you can't get under overhangs, or really under anything that you could not touch by looking down at the object.

Of course at the professional level you can do these sorts of things using laser calibration, and 5 axis CNC robot arms that can happily get up and under things; but those are expensive devices (actually more then one of the high end 3d printers that would just get you the insane resolution from the get go).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Human hairs are not 500microns. More like 60-70 microns

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Cakefool posted:

Yeah $350 per litre is taking the piss.

Turns out it wont cost that much apparently...
the indie gogo page is up, although i'm sure you've all seen it by now.
http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter

He says the resin price will be 150 per kilo-ish.
Mind you he said his printer would be around 1500 so he could be totally bullshitting everyone.

Also jesus man please get someone who knows english to write your marketing material :psyduck:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Claes Oldenburger posted:

He says the resin price will be 150 per kilo-ish.
Mind you he said his printer would be around 1500 so he could be totally bullshitting everyone.
That's still more than 3 times as expensive as Bucktown Polymers(lemon curry dude).

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Obsurveyor posted:

That's still more than 3 times as expensive as Bucktown Polymers(lemon curry dude).

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing whether that is an apples to apples comparison. Veloso made it sound like he came up with his own formula.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing whether that is an apples to apples comparison. Veloso made it sound like he came up with his own formula.
All he has is a theoretical formula that he thinks might but also might not be $150 per kg and might but then again, might not do all the things he lists.

I am assuming the stuff he uses in the videos, based on his past posts, is much more expensive than his new economical, theoretical formula.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just for an apples to oranges comparison, how much is a reel of PLU or ABS by weight?

Also - if your lamp matches the resin, whats to stop you buying the lemon curry resin for use in your veloso printer?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 3, 2012

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Cakefool posted:

Just for an apples to oranges comparison, how much is a reel of PLU or ABS by weight?

Also - if your lamp matches the resin, whats to stop you buying the lemon curry resin for use in your veloso printer?

ABS/PLA are around $40-45/kg versus $150/kg for the resin from veloso and $40/kg for the resin from Bucktown Polymers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Viscosity and other flow characteristics, if they're different enough.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Midjack posted:

Viscosity and other flow characteristics, if they're different enough.

most of this would mean the amount of time the light takes to harden it right? Hopefully veloso built layer hardening times into his software or people gonna be maaaad when they cant use cheaper resins or he decides to stop making it.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
Just getting started into the whole world of 3D printing after a friend of mine finished his first 3D Printer and intrigued me. Going to start with a Prusa Mendel and self-source as much as I can. My friend is doing up the printed parts and I've started sourcing the basic nuts and bolts.

I have zero... zero experience in this field so this should either be an awesome sense of accomplishment or an utter gong show resulting in missing fingers and a burnt down house.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Claes Oldenburger posted:

most of this would mean the amount of time the light takes to harden it right? Hopefully veloso built layer hardening times into his software or people gonna be maaaad when they cant use cheaper resins or he decides to stop making it.

Yeah, it's also going to have a bunch of subtleties like thermal expansion rate, contraction after cooling, conduction of heat away from the treated volume, etc. etc. - all of which is possible to adjust for, but you won't be able to use a different resin and get good results without a BUNCH of adjustments.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
roop where are you located? We're about to pull our group buy in the midwest for Prusas and it looks like it's $300ish all told. If you're close you can get in on it.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances

insta posted:

roop where are you located? We're about to pull our group buy in the midwest for Prusas and it looks like it's $300ish all told. If you're close you can get in on it.
I'm in Mississauga, Ontario (near Toronto).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Haha! In an effort to rope in more suckers, Junior Veloso has hidden the number of people who have contributed for each of his rewards. There is no way he is going to make it on the $2k and $4k levels. He needs to get a lot of people buying up the overpriced instructions. The problem is that this technology is so new due to his purge of information and closed source, nobody who would normally just throw money at this kind of stuff really understands it well enough to take the plunge. Everyone who does understand it can figure out that it is way over priced and there are free alternatives.

In fact, someone linked me to a crazy awesome looking open source program that uses your GPU to slice stuff super fast last night: ChemShapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiLcJ5tDvk

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 5, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Obsurveyor posted:

Haha! In an effort to rope in more suckers, Junior Veloso has hidden the number of people who have contributed for each of his rewards. There is no way he is going to make it on the $2k and $4k levels. He needs to get a lot of people buying up the overpriced instructions. The problem is that this technology is so new due to his purge of information and closed source, nobody who would normally just throw money at this kind of stuff really understands it well enough to take the plunge. Everyone who does understand it can figure out that it is way over priced and there are free alternatives.

Aw, that's lame.. The fun of kickstarter et all is that you get to see who has gone for what.

I wrote about it for the Ponoko blog last night and still had the page cached this morning:

Edit:
Wait, maybe the whole campaign is disabled for now? The "claim this perk" buttons are gone, too.

Edit 2:
That must be it, you can still see the specific backers under the funders tab: http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter?c=pledges

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 5, 2012

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

techknight posted:

Edit:
Wait, maybe the whole campaign is disabled for now? The "claim this perk" buttons are gone, too.

Edit 2:
That must be it, you can still see the specific backers under the funders tab: http://www.indiegogo.com/veloso3dprinter?c=pledges

Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that pledging was totally gone.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
$59 for a high-level design details PDF with no measurements?

I don't know what types he's targeting but it ain't people like me. :psyduck:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Hack-a-day covered him again and (in the comments) the author really rips on Veloso.

http://hackaday.com/2012/04/05/3d-printer-with-insane-accuracy-uses-a-dlp-projector/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

It was very hard to keep this article at least somewhat positive*, but I think the implied subtext remains. I’m just hoping some builder out there sees the words, “3D printer”, “resin”, and “DLP projector” and heads off to their workshop.

This bring up a good point, in that we're all having fun going hahahahah :wtf: but really the only problem (so far) is the poor management on the kit/biz end of things.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If it were being run like any sane open hardware design and sensible kickstarter, we could all go back to slobbering his knob like we've been waiting to do. It's a shame, really.

e: Although as someone kinda mentioned in those comments too: Veloso's stuff, while still impressive, was WAY moreso a year or so ago.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 5, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Apologies if this has already been posted, but somehow I stumbled across this: http://www.chemshapes.com/

They just released a realtime slicer application, free software of course :smugdog:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted, but somehow I stumbled across this: http://www.chemshapes.com/

They just released a realtime slicer application, free software of course :smugdog:
I posted a link and this video a few posts back but it might have got lost by the Veloso discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiLcJ5tDvk

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Anyone know of a good site like shapeways in the EU? I'd like to mess around with some small prints, but rather not pay our lovely 33%+$30 import tax for stuff from outside the EU every time :/

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Didn't Shapeways start in Holland?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

HardCoil posted:

Anyone know of a good site like shapeways in the EU? I'd like to mess around with some small prints, but rather not pay our lovely 33%+$30 import tax for stuff from outside the EU every time :/

i.materialise is EU-based.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Ponoko has some EU based laser cutting services. But it looks like their 3D printings is just USA based.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought Shapeways was in the EU :confused:

I have ordered quite a few times from them recently and my UPS boxes always come in from the EU.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Haha whoops, so much for assuming, it's indeed in the Netherlands... thanks :D

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
RepRap Pro is releasing a mendal kit, to go with their huxley kit. Its avaiable to order for those who subscribed to the mailing list. In a day or two it will open to public.

http://reprappro.com/Mendel

Cost:
UK - £499 + £12 P&P = £511 (incl VAT)
EU - €599 + €35 P&P = €624 (incl UK VAT)
North America - $699US + $70 P&P = $769
Rest of the world - $699US + $80 P&P = $779

Looks like they are going to have a colour expansion for it in the future, adding two more print heads for printing multiple colours or materials.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know how many people here are members of the StackExchange network, but there is a proposal for a personal manufacturing branch of it. Basically this thread in stackoverflow form.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/22246/3d-printers-laser-cutters-personal-manufacturing

:colbert: commit to it

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, I've got a hard decision. Everything is coming together, but I'm really trying to make a decision on whether to get spend almost $2k on a Utilmaker or buy a cheaper Thing-O-Matic MakerBot or Replicator.

In an effort to save money, because the Euro is trading at a $1.30 rate, do I really need the Laser Cut Parts? Do I really need the NetFabb engine?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

My ORD Bot kit is supposed to arrive in the mail today, so I will be assembling it later today. If I can get a camera setup that I like, I may live stream it through the Reprap Google Hangout. I will post more info if I do.

Super pumped to finally get started building this thing!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Young Freud posted:

In an effort to save money, because the Euro is trading at a $1.30 rate, do I really need the Laser Cut Parts? Do I really need the NetFabb engine?

What tools do you have access to? It might be possible to get parts cut locally cheaper from a plan, check waterjetters as well as lasercutters, depending on the parts a bandsaw & pillar drill may suffice.

No idea about the netfabb engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Man, I've got a hard decision. Everything is coming together, but I'm really trying to make a decision on whether to get spend almost $2k on a Utilmaker or buy a cheaper Thing-O-Matic MakerBot or Replicator.

Don't buy the thing-o-matic. At this point it's just more expensive and less capable than a good prusa kit. The replicator on the other hand, does other cool things.

If you're actually considering the ultimaker, you really should get that one.

No, you do not really need the NetFabb engine. It is a good G-code generator, but the reprap people know that good g-code is key, and are improving all the time. It's also something that you can upgrade to later if you decide you need it.

The only way to skip out of the laser cut parts though is to have them made locally. They are integral to the frame, and they include the build platform as well.