Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011

Zenostein posted:

Startup disk Pref Panel in System Preferences. Or if you're in Windows, Startup Disk tab in the Bootcamp control panel thing.

That doesn't work for me, i think it got something to do with my SSD. I used a Guide for booting my SSD in AHCI in Bootcamp.
Is there any other way to change the boot order? Maybe in the terminal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

ScarletBrother posted:

I want to install Windows using bootcamp so that I can do some gaming. I have an old copy of windows xp and I was wondering if I can do that? It seems like my version of OS X only supports Windows 7 though. Am I stuck needing to acquire a copy of 7?

Edit: What do gamers usually do?
Thanks, Zenostein!

Gamers don't use Macs or Windows XP.

I don't think XP works with newer bootcamp versions anyway. If you really want XP you might be better looking at VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or even Virtualbox, something along these lines.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Does anyone know some free slideshow generator that would let me throw in a super long fade between images? Just throw it a directory and have it go. Need it for a performance in a few hours so I appreciate your timely answers!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Does anyone know some free slideshow generator that would let me throw in a super long fade between images? Just throw it a directory and have it go. Need it for a performance in a few hours so I appreciate your timely answers!
If you have PowerPoint/Keynote that should be a pretty simple task.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

MOAR posted:

Gamers don't use Macs or Windows XP.

I don't think XP works with newer bootcamp versions anyway. If you really want XP you might be better looking at VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or even Virtualbox, something along these lines.

Boot Camp 4 drivers are needed to deal with Lion's HFS peculiarities. I had Windows 7 installed with Snow Leopard drivers/BC3 that would keep BSODing because the OS X partition was encrypted with File Vault.

It was annoying to have to reinstall.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone else get a monthly crash of the whole Mac using VirtualBox?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Remote Sharing is enabled in System Preferences, and my sshd_config has the port number commented out (defaulting to 22, which I figure is OK since I don't allow outside connections anyway). I've rebooted my router (Time Capsule) and this Mac as well but nothing changed. I know for a fact this worked as late as this past Saturday, and I really don't remember touching any settings on my router since then.

I assume you mean "Remote Login" instead of Remote Sharing?

Can you telnet to port 22 from the local machine?
Did you grep for sshd in /var/log/system.log to see if there are any obvious errors?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Whenever Safari tries to load gifs on SA threads like PYF gifs most of them either loop after the first few frames or load really chopped. Is this a known problem, or is it because of my internet connection/bad luck?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

UnfurledSails posted:

Whenever Safari tries to load gifs on SA threads like PYF gifs most of them either loop after the first few frames or load really chopped. Is this a known problem, or is it because of my internet connection/bad luck?

Safari plays GIFs as they load, so it'll do that until the GIF is fully loaded.

I have no idea why this is, it's just A Thing, so far as I know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Martytoof posted:

I assume you mean "Remote Login" instead of Remote Sharing?

Can you telnet to port 22 from the local machine?
Did you grep for sshd in /var/log/system.log to see if there are any obvious errors?

Nothing shows up when I grep that log file for sshd, and I assume you meant ssh from the local machine? In that case I get a permission denied (pub key) error so sshd seems to be up and running at least. It just times out when I try from the remote machine.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cyberduck has been acting up (won't move / copy files, error after error). What do you guys recommend for a good FTP client?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nothing shows up when I grep that log file for sshd, and I assume you meant ssh from the local machine? In that case I get a permission denied (pub key) error so sshd seems to be up and running at least. It just times out when I try from the remote machine.

See if you can connect on port 22 of the remote machine.

nc -z remote.machine 22

I'm no expert, but based on the output you posted, it looks like it cannot establish a TCP connection on port 22. Maybe also run tcpdump or tshark while you try to connect.

lord funk posted:

Cyberduck has been acting up (won't move / copy files, error after error). What do you guys recommend for a good FTP client?

I like Transmit, but it costs money. My only complaint is it doesn't copy Spotlight metadata uploading/downloading, as far as I can tell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well I typically telnet to the port just to see whether it responds, but that works too.

So if you try to connect locally, like ON the mac, if you type ssh user@mac you can log in correctly, but if remotely you type ssh user@mac.ip you get a timeout?

Did you check to see whether the firewall is active in system preferences?

If you just type "telnet mac.ip" on the remote machine, do you get the SSH banner back?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lord funk posted:

I use Filezilla even though it looks like it came from 1997

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

lord funk posted:

Transmit for heavy lifting, FireFTP for quick dumb stuff when I'm too lazy to quick launch.

I know people love their Cyberduck, but Transmit is absolutely amazing and worth every penny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mind blown.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/30/watch-system-activity-cpu-usage-mac-os-x-dock/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now if only they'd put it in as a menuitem for people who hide their dock :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Now if only they'd put it in as a menuitem for people who hide their dock :q:

You can go to monitors and turn them on, along with 'floating cpu window'

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Hasn't that been around for a while? I remember it from long ago at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Hasn't that been around for a while? I remember it from long ago at least.
Yeah it's a really old trick, not sure if it was 10.0 but it was pretty early on. I remember using a third party app for more things at once back then, but use iStat or MenuMeters nowadays cause I keep my dock pretty small.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Is Path Finder the best Finder alternative? I'm considering buying it now that my trial is nearly up and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something even better. I develop iOS apps, and I've found Path Finder to be much more useful for various project related file management tasks compared to Finder. Any recommendations?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

tinabeatr posted:

Is Path Finder the best Finder alternative? I'm considering buying it now that my trial is nearly up and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something even better. I develop iOS apps, and I've found Path Finder to be much more useful for various project related file management tasks compared to Finder. Any recommendations?

TotalFinder always and forever.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

pipes! posted:

It's probably the first-worldiest thing ever that I would just buy TotalFinder if they were Safari-style tabs and not Chrome-style.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Fren posted:

It's probably the first-worldiest thing ever that I would just buy TotalFinder if they were Safari-style tabs and not Chrome-style.

You could try emailing the dev, you never know...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:argh:

Mac Mini server running Snow Leopard. Someone on a Windows machine (we're sharing through SMB so they can use it) made a folder and the Snow Leopard users in the office can see it just fine, but the Lion users can't view the folder.

I had to delete it on the server and create a new folder and put the files back in it.

For some reason none of the Lion users can connect using afp since the last update either.

We have about 5 Windows machines and 15 Macs, one of those companies where we're not big enough to spend the money and time on setting poo poo up right (the sysadmin is whichever web developer isn't busy) but too big to keep using the 'EVERYONE USE THE ADMIN ACCOUNT AND PASSWORD' idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fren posted:

Me as well. I am irrationally obsessed about dumb stuff like that. One day :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Howdy thread- I'm visiting my mom in LA and setting up a time machine for her and she mentioned to me that my stepfather has a script that is typewritten from 30 years ago that they tried using OCR software on but it was a no-go and just made an uneditable PDF. Is there a decent OCR package that they can use that doesn't cost $200 out there?

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

On a Finder replacement topic - when you install a replacement, can you remove the Finder icon from the dock? I read that the only working method to remove/hide it can screw the whole OS.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

pipes! posted:

Thanks! Grabbing the trial.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy thread- I'm visiting my mom in LA and setting up a time machine for her and she mentioned to me that my stepfather has a script that is typewritten from 30 years ago that they tried using OCR software on but it was a no-go and just made an uneditable PDF. Is there a decent OCR package that they can use that doesn't cost $200 out there?

If the file is not too humongous you can use a site like this http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/ or this http://www.pdftoword.com/ .
Both have worked for me.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Tovarisch posted:

On a Finder replacement topic - when you install a replacement, can you remove the Finder icon from the dock? I read that the only working method to remove/hide it can screw the whole OS.
When I was using Pathfinder ages ago, it was possible, but ugly - when the system starts, both launch, then Finder gets closed, and at times there'd be weird stability issues. I haven't used Pathfinder in years so things might be different now.

In Totalfinder, which I use now, Finder is patched, so you're still running finder.app but you get tabs and the ability to cut/paste files.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Has anyone heard about this trojan floating around?

I ask because I got a slightly weird password prompt when installing a Flash update the other day; the icon in the password prompt didn't quite look right. I've tried to follow the instructions in the link to see if I'm infected or not but I have 8 entries after the first step so their instructions are no help.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah there's been a few fake Flash updates for a while now it seems, I think there's one that pops up one through Java too. I guess look up the different variants and see if there's different removal directions, if there's not some automated apps for it (...that aren't trojans themselves) I think there might be free trials of the various security apps.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mongoibur posted:

If the file is not too humongous you can use a site like this http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/ or this http://www.pdftoword.com/ .
Both have worked for me.

I'll have her take a look. Thanks!

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else here having issues with GrowlTunes? Not sure when it started (last iTunes update maybe) but now it will only do a notification for one track then just stop. Restarting it seems to get it to work for one more track then stop again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Security updates for Java just dropped. Snow Leopard and Lion get updates, get it through Software Update.

The Lion one is called "Java for OS X 2012-001" and comes in at 66.6 MB, the SL one is called "Java Update for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7" and comes in at 79 MB.

Java SE 6 gets updated from 1.6.0_29 to 1.6.0_31.

Also see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5045

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5055

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Binary Badger posted:

Security updates for Java just dropped. Snow Leopard and Lion get updates, get it through Software Update.

The Lion one is called "Java for OS X 2012-001" and comes in at 66.6 MB, the SL one is called "Java Update for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7" and comes in at 79 MB.

Java SE 6 gets updated from 1.6.0_29 to 1.6.0_31.

Also see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5045

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5055
Wonder if this has to do with that fake flash worm problem.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

unruly posted:

Wonder if this has to do with that fake flash worm problem.

I almost fell for that today. :saddowns:

I had unthinkingly clicked the updater's 'Install' button like I usually do whenever Flash randomly decides to update. But it then identified as a Chrome Helper process and I stopped it immediately.

It was REALLY convincing until that happened.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
There was an actual flash update only a few days ago, and for a little bit I was worried I had actually installed the trojan. The results from following instructions in here seem to indicate that I'm in the clear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
My household has been sharing a color inkjet freebie printer until it gave up this morning. We're all going to chip in to buy a bw laser jet printer, and we want to plug it into our Mac mini htpc, to enable all the laptops, iPads & iPhones on the network to print.

What is the best app for enabling AirPrint for a connected printer?