Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you bought it originally along with a CPU (desktop or laptop) make sure you bring the serial number of that machine as well, it will make things smoother for them when trying to swap it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We met with the Apple Higher Ed reps yesterday, and they made it clear that the Mac Pro is not sticking around. This is a huge problem for us, because we need workstations and PCI-E slots for our workflow, and all they say is THUNDERBOLT. When I asked about graphics and animation, ie After Effects, they said "no one does it in house anymore". Right. Let me just contract out our students' animation projects to a 3rd party to render.

The Apple Way was pretty heavy handed in that streaming is the future, optical discs are dead, computer labs are a thing of the past, and Final Cut X is easier to use to broaden the market. All things we did not like to hear. Throw in my angst over virtualization on non Apple hardware, Lion/ML server sucking for OD policy, and a few other issues, and it was not a feel good meeting.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

That's pretty interesting to me.

I think people in creative production who are worth their salt can adapt their pipeline to accomodate the tech they like to use (for front-end creation), but there is absolutely no question that when it's crunch time the question becomes what the hell are you going to bulk-render with? The question would evaporate if OS X could be run in VMs on vanilla hardware, but then you have less-reliable hardware support. We use PipelineFX Qube distributed render software that can render frames, for example, on both PC and Mac servers at the same time but there are definitely OS differences to accomodate for and I always just send it to the Mac servers to save time. Xserves and Mac Pros.

Please give us one more shot with sandy bridge Xeons. Please oh plox.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

mayodreams posted:

We met with the Apple Higher Ed reps yesterday, and they made it clear that the Mac Pro is not sticking around. This is a huge problem for us, because we need workstations and PCI-E slots for our workflow, and all they say is THUNDERBOLT. When I asked about graphics and animation, ie After Effects, they said "no one does it in house anymore". Right. Let me just contract out our students' animation projects to a 3rd party to render.

The Apple Way was pretty heavy handed in that streaming is the future, optical discs are dead, computer labs are a thing of the past, and Final Cut X is easier to use to broaden the market. All things we did not like to hear. Throw in my angst over virtualization on non Apple hardware, Lion/ML server sucking for OD policy, and a few other issues, and it was not a feel good meeting.

Well gently caress. I liked having a tower-style computer to the point where I was willing to overlook a lot of :10bux: but now I don't know what.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

ProMAX is so sure that MacPros are on their way out that they've started advertising a Pro Clone, literally.

http://www.promax.com/s-149-promax-one.aspx

It's a 12-core Xeon workstation that they've been peppering my inbox with ads for. Runs Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Apparently money spent on a technical copywriter was spent on email marketing instead.

ProMAX specs page posted:

Boot Drive (1) 256MB 2.5" SSD and (1) 320MB 7200 RPM 2.5" duplicate imaged drives

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My HP laptop just crapped out on me, so I'm looking at picking up a new portable device. I already have a desktop for games and such, so I'm not stranded without a computer for now. I've been eyeing a Macbook Air for quite a while now, and I'll have the money for it in a few months since I just got a new job. I have a few questions though.

1) When are Macbook Airs typically refreshed?
2) Does anyone know if they are getting Ivy Bridge?
3) Can I replace the SSD myself without voiding my warranty? (I have a few 120GB ones sitting around)

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 3, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Super Dude posted:

My HP laptop just crapped out on me, so I'm looking at picking up a new portable device. I already have a desktop for games and such, so I'm not stranded without a computer for now. I've been eyeing a Macbook Air for quite a while now, and I'll have the money for it in a few months since I just got a new job. I have a few questions though.

1) When are Macbook Airs typically refreshed?
2) Does anyone know if they are getting Ivy Bridge?
3) Can I replace the SSD myself without voiding my warranty? (I have a few 120GB ones sitting around)

New version coming out this month probably, most likely Ivy Bridge, and no, the SSD is attached to the motherboard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ashgromnies posted:

New version coming out this month probably, most likely Ivy Bridge, and no, the SSD is attached to the motherboard.
The MacBook Pro is most likely this month, not the Air. The Air will be in summer when the dual-core Ivy Bridge parts (and Mountain Lion) get released. Expect an exact repeat of last year:

Sandy Bridge iMac and MBP in Spring 2011, Sandy Bridge Mini and Air in Summer 2011 to coincide with Lion.

Replace "Sandy" with "Ivy", "2011" with "2012", and "Lion" with "Mountain Lion".

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 3, 2012

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Hi SHSC —

Quick question, I have a 2011 27" iMac with the stock 1TB HDD. I would like to upgrade it to an SSD and, ideally, preserve my warranty. The chap at the Apple Store told me that while they cannot upgrade computers which have already been sold, places like MicroCenter can since they're authorized Apple service centers. When I called MicroCenter, they said that they could, but the guy I talked to on the phone didn't understand the first thing about iMacs and didn't seem to realize that the installation of a second HDD involves a special bracket and such.

So, if anyone knows, is there a good option for a third party installation service? And if so, is there a particular 200GB+ SSD model I should be looking at? The 240GB Intel 520 seems to make a lot of sense, particularly considering the warranty.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

You most certainly can replace the ssd in MacBook airs. Not sure but warranty, but a regular ssd won't fit, it's a super tiny kind (check owc)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

You most certainly can replace the ssd in MacBook airs. Not sure but warranty, but a regular ssd won't fit, it's a super tiny kind (check owc)

It's a special pci board that goes in a slot and is secured with a screw, at the moment MacSales is the only company selling them. Apple won't sell theirs as separate retail units to you, either.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sent from my iPad posted:

Hi SHSC —

Quick question, I have a 2011 27" iMac with the stock 1TB HDD. I would like to upgrade it to an SSD and, ideally, preserve my warranty. The chap at the Apple Store told me that while they cannot upgrade computers which have already been sold, places like MicroCenter can since they're authorized Apple service centers. When I called MicroCenter, they said that they could, but the guy I talked to on the phone didn't understand the first thing about iMacs and didn't seem to realize that the installation of a second HDD involves a special bracket and such.

So, if anyone knows, is there a good option for a third party installation service? And if so, is there a particular 200GB+ SSD model I should be looking at? The 240GB Intel 520 seems to make a lot of sense, particularly considering the warranty.

Have you considered doing it yourself? This does not void your warranty.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We go around in circles about this every few months. Here's what Apple states:

quote:

WARNING: Do not attempt to open your iMac, except to install memory. If your iMac needs service, see “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 62 for information about how to contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Your iMac doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.
It's possible that a Genius will turn a blind eye to a third-party drive if the reason you're bringing it in is completely unrelated. However, it's also possible that they could say "you removed the screen and could have damaged the components. Your AppleCare is now void. Have a nice day."

I put the stock drive back before dropping my iMac off for a display replacement for that very reason. I just didn't want to deal with any potential questions.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I put the stock drive back before dropping my iMac off for a display replacement for that very reason. I just didn't want to deal with any potential questions.

That's exactly what I did both times I had to take my iMac in to get serviced and had no problems.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

brc64 posted:

I never know which thread is the appropriate one for Apple Airport Extreme questions, so if it's not this one, feel free to yell at me and I'll run away crying.

Recently our Airport has been acting up. It will completely drop everything from wifi (to the point where my MacBook Air can't even find the Airport in Airport Utility), but then everything will reconnect. Once I downgraded my Airport Utility to the more functional 5.6 version (which allows me to look at logs), I see that shortly after it comes back to life, the logs say "Initialized (firmware 7.5.2)." as the first thing in the logs, with a very recent timestamp.

This leads me to believe the device is rebooting itself. A lot. I haven't observed the light doing anything other than staying green, though, which is weird.

I had been at the current firmware level, 7.6.1, but tried downgrading in case that was part of the issue (I remembered updating the firmware not all that long ago, so I figured it was worth testing), but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm confident that the issue isn't on the client side, since I've personally observed an iPad, MacBook Air and Windows 7 PC all dropping at the same time.

The support site says that I'm still covered under "Repairs and Service", but when I try to "Set Up a Repair", the website just hangs indefinitely. I'm not even sure what's involved, since I've never had to get repair service before. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of guidance... should I keep trying the website? Is this something an Apple Store would handle? Am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

Sort of a weird question, but does the Airport Extreme have some sort of client connection limit? Since I turned off our newest PC, it seems to have stopped rebooting. A while back I had noticed something similar going on with our Linux box (wired, not wireless), which had shut down because it overheated. When I turned it back on, the Internet died. I thought I was crazy, but now I'm not so sure... since the computer was having hardware problems, I just shut it down and left it off, but the problems seemed to start happening once we hooked up this new PC... it just seems a bit too coincidental.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Sort of a weird question, but does the Airport Extreme have some sort of client connection limit? Since I turned off our newest PC, it seems to have stopped rebooting. A while back I had noticed something similar going on with our Linux box (wired, not wireless), which had shut down because it overheated. When I turned it back on, the Internet died. I thought I was crazy, but now I'm not so sure... since the computer was having hardware problems, I just shut it down and left it off, but the problems seemed to start happening once we hooked up this new PC... it just seems a bit too coincidental.
AEBS supports dozens and dozens of clients. If anything, your new PC maybe be flooding bad packets or doing something else wonky that's causing the network to go down.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

AEBS supports dozens and dozens of clients. If anything, your new PC maybe be flooding bad packets or doing something else wonky that's causing the network to go down.

I'd buy that if it was just the PC, but the Linux box (which previously worked fine) exhibited similar behavior. It's like if either of those are on the network, it causes instability. I guess I could geek out and get some wireshark going, but gently caress, I'm supposed to be off work when I get home!

I suppose the next best thing would be to send the Airport logs to a syslog server, since I can't tell what the last thing it logs is before it reinitializes...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Were they using the same patch panel/cable? Is there a problem with that run?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Were they using the same patch panel/cable? Is there a problem with that run?

The Linux machine was plugged directly into the AEBS. The new PC is a cheap media thing plugged into our living room TV and connecting over wireless. I just got syslogd working, so I'm gonna try some tests shortly...of course, it's entirely possible that whatever causes the thing to crash will also prevent it from sending that crucial bit of info to the syslog, but I'm not really sure what else to try at this point.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

This is good advice, particularly for Sent from my iPad's situation. If you go to a (good, reputable) AASP to have the upgrade done, they'll almost-certainly be happy to do repairs with the third-party part still in there. However, Apple may or may not be so willing, depending on the mood of the Genius, the attitude of their managers, the current alignment of the planets, etc.

In terms of getting it installed, AASPs can get the cables and brackets needed, but since they're probably coming from Apple it won't be the cheapest thing in the world.
There are some third-party kits out there which usually just include a big double-stick tape piece to hold the SSD to the back case. That's probably not a problem, as long as the tape can stand up to whatever heat is in that area (since the cooling fins coming off of the heatsink are right above the optical drive).

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

Have you considered doing it yourself? This does not void your warranty.
I have, but unfortunately as SWRSXP mentioned I've been told pretty explicitly by Apple that it will be voided unless an authorized service center takes care of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've been on the phone with Applecare a few times just to make sure. It's ok to replace the hard drive yourself on the Macbook Pro. They specifically said not to take apart the iMac. The only user replaceable part is the RAM.

They did give me the locations of local authorized places that could put an SSD into my iMac. I looked them up on Yelp and they got great reviews, but they want like $600+ for labor/parts just to put in a 256gig SSD from OWC Memory.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Whats the general consensus on the magic trackpad and magic mouse for desk top use? I've got a 13" air and I hook it up to a 28" monitor for work and close the lid. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'm missing the track pad. I feel like the OS is hampered without multi-touch gestures and am thinking about getting the magic track, it just seems very strange using a trackpad when the option for a mouse is available.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The magic mouse is not a good mouse, it's actually just a terrible product overall and probably the worst piece of hardware Apple sells. Get the Magic Trackpad as well as a cheap Logitech mouse when you need it for whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

The magic mouse is not a good mouse, it's actually just a terrible product overall and probably the worst piece of hardware Apple sells. Get the Magic Trackpad as well as a cheap Logitech mouse when you need it for whatever.

The Magic Mouse isn't quite terrible, as a simple mouse that you can use to scroll, it's not so bad. Gestures and stuff suck on it though, and I'd never pay $39.95 or whatever Apple sells them for. I'd buy a Logitech or Microsoft wheelmouse or two.

The Magic Trackpad though....:fap:

Seriously like the greatest thing ever made. I loved trackballs but ditched them when scrolling mice came out (never really tried a trackball with a scroll wheel any more than a few minutes) and the Trackpad is just pure greatness.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I hate using laptop trackpads, but I am in love with my Magic Trackpad. Buy one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Digital Jesus posted:

I hate using laptop trackpads, but I am in love with my Magic Trackpad. Buy one.

Do you like Apple laptop trackpads though?

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

whaam posted:

Whats the general consensus on the magic trackpad and magic mouse for desk top use? I've got a 13" air and I hook it up to a 28" monitor for work and close the lid. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'm missing the track pad. I feel like the OS is hampered without multi-touch gestures and am thinking about getting the magic track, it just seems very strange using a trackpad when the option for a mouse is available.
The Magic Trackpad is a no-brainer purchase and almost impossible to not have once you're used to it.

The Magic Mouse is horrendous, of course.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Well, now that none of my computers have disk drives, of course I run into a problem that requires the use of discs!

Do any of you have any opinions on external disk drives? I was thinking about going for an external blu ray drive, since those are ~the future~ anyway. Thoughts?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Magic mouse is $69 and bad.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Well, now that none of my computers have disk drives, of course I run into a problem that requires the use of discs!

Do any of you have any opinions on external disk drives? I was thinking about going for an external blu ray drive, since those are ~the future~ anyway. Thoughts?

This just happened to me, and I bought this liteon drive from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106356
I took it out, plugged it in, and so far it's Just Worked.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

whaam posted:

The trackpad is amazing and in my opinion killed the mouse as a desktop peripheral. It's that good. I don't think I'll ever use a mouse again for general use.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Do you like Apple laptop trackpads though?

I guess it's not trackpads specifically that I hate. I think it's the way they're located at the front of a laptop, it feels kinda awkward to use? I have my magic trackpad to the right of my keyboard where I'd normally use a mouse and it feels perfectly natural.

I do like Macbook trackpads more than the usual PC laptop ones though.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Do we trust time capsules yet or should I look elsewhere for my time machine needs? It looks like my external Western Digital drive is on the way out.

While I'm at it, anyone got any recommendations for external hard drives? I'm tempted to just choose the cheapest seagate or WD with firewire 800. Building my own would be about $185 - $120 for a 2TB drive and $65 for this enclosure: http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Hi-Speed-FireWire-Enclosure-G-S350SUAB2/dp/B003VTZFN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333595728&sr=8-1

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wouldn't get a Time Capsule simply because it's not a good value. Unless you need the added performance of the internal drive, just get an AEBS and plug a USB drive into it. It's slower but a much less expensive (and more expandable) solution.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a charger that... no longer charges. Do you think this is something Apple will replace for free if I take it in?

It's my spare MBA charger, either taken from or ordered for the 2010 MBA. When I upgraded to the 2011 MBA, I kept that charger so I would have an extra. Since then, I've mixed up which charger was the original, which was the extra I bought, and which was the one that came with new MBA. All I know is that one of them no longer charges my MBA. The orange light never comes on, and the OSX battery indicator does not switch to indicate something is plugged in. I've tried other outlets with no success. My other charger works fine.

Like I said, this is my backup charger, so it's not a big deal. If it's something Apple might replace for free, then I'll schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar. It's a little out of my way, though, so I thought I would ask in here first.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I have a 2007 white macbook running Leopard. For years I've been using it with an external monitor, but today it suddenly stopped working.

I was using the monitor when I accidentally opened a large amount of new tabs in Google Chrome. My computer flipped out, the screen got all rainbow glitchy, and I had to unplug the monitor to get things back to normal.

After that, I plugged the monitor back in and it worked for a little bit, but it was very jittery and strange. Almost like screen tearing? I tried unplugging to fix it and now it won't work at all.

When I plug the monitor in, there's clearly a connection, as the monitor loses its bouncing menu screensaver thing. However, the screen is completely black, and I can't move my mouse off the laptop screen.

I tried rebooting, hitting the "Detect Displays" button, resetting the PRAM, and resetting the SMC. Nothing has worked.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kobayashi posted:

I have a charger that... no longer charges. Do you think this is something Apple will replace for free if I take it in?

Is your current MBA less than a year old? Take them both in and you should get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

I wouldn't get a Time Capsule simply because it's not a good value. Unless you need the added performance of the internal drive, just get an AEBS and plug a USB drive into it. It's slower but a much less expensive (and more expandable) solution.

Will the AEBS use an attached drive simply for time capsule backups or can I also store my media on it and make it available by network share?