Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I know the smoke point of extra virgin olive oil is ~375, so why is that I often see recipes call for roasting something in the oven at 400+, and use a coat extra virgin olive oil on the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Nifty posted:

I know the smoke point of extra virgin olive oil is ~375, so why is that I often see recipes call for roasting something in the oven at 400+, and use a coat extra virgin olive oil on the food?

Just because your oven is set to 400 does not mean your food will get to that temp.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pnumoman posted:

Just because your oven is set to 400 does not mean your food will get to that temp.
This is true. It's also true that you'd still be wasting a high quality olive oil by putting it on something in a 400 degree oven. I think some people just have this idea in their head that extra virgin olive oil is `the good stuff' and so specify it in recipes, even where it isn't going to do any good.

If you're using a run-of-the-mill supermarket brand of olive oil (Star, Bertolli, and brands around that price point/level of quality) you won't notice much of a difference, because they're not that `olive-y' to start out with, and they already contain some of the bitter/plastic-y off flavours that overheating a better quality olive oil will get you.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dangphat posted:

I personally prefer a coq au biere using a recipe that comes from Larousse Gastronomique.

:catstare: Coq à la Bière! :catstare:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

:catstare: Coq à la Bière! :catstare:

:catstare: manger les œufs putains :catstare:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

SubG posted:

This is true. It's also true that you'd still be wasting a high quality olive oil by putting it on something in a 400 degree oven. I think some people just have this idea in their head that extra virgin olive oil is `the good stuff' and so specify it in recipes, even where it isn't going to do any good.

If you're using a run-of-the-mill supermarket brand of olive oil (Star, Bertolli, and brands around that price point/level of quality) you won't notice much of a difference, because they're not that `olive-y' to start out with, and they already contain some of the bitter/plastic-y off flavours that overheating a better quality olive oil will get you.

Yeah, it seems like people use the term 'extra virgin' to mean generic green olive oil. Heaven forbid you rub some seriously fruity, luscious extra virgin olive oil on a roast or something just because a recipe said to use 'extra virgin'.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

:catstare: manger les œufs putains :catstare:

Eat the whore eggs? :confused:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Google says "eat eggs whores"

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Admittedly this is only tangentially related to food, but I'm set to graduate with my BA in May and I've been thinking a lot about culinary school as I really enjoy what little cooking I know how to do. Considering there seem to be a lot of chefs in here, I'm guessing a decent number of people have been through it and I was curious on the general consensus. Is it worth doing? Do you learn a lot? Does it make getting a job involving cooking significantly easier? Do you need a solid cooking background beforehand or will they teach me even if I am a total newbie? How do I know if a program is legit or not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not sure where to even begin looking into this. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lol, I typed "Eat the loving eggs" into google translate and it gave me that.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

Admittedly this is only tangentially related to food, but I'm set to graduate with my BA in May and I've been thinking a lot about culinary school as I really enjoy what little cooking I know how to do. Considering there seem to be a lot of chefs in here, I'm guessing a decent number of people have been through it and I was curious on the general consensus. Is it worth doing? Do you learn a lot? Does it make getting a job involving cooking significantly easier? Do you need a solid cooking background beforehand or will they teach me even if I am a total newbie? How do I know if a program is legit or not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not sure where to even begin looking into this. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

begin here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437862

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I made beef broth for stew for the first time. The marrow came out in big chunks and while tasty, not so pretty. Is there anything I can do to make it more presentable? Immersion blender?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Immersion blender?

Yup, then chinoise strainer if you want to be super fancy about it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Help me with my oven.

I just moved and it's set to Farenheit, but I would rather do my cooking in Celsius. It's a GE oven, and I tried looking up the model number (grsf3201zww-6) on their website, but apparently it doesn't exist. Doesn't even show up on the list when I search for models starting with "G". Some Googling suggested I hold the bake and broil buttons down for three seconds, and also the cook start and broil buttons. I tried a few other combinations as well, but no luck. Anybody have the same oven, and know how to change it?

The control pad looks like this

Also if anyone knows how to set a child lock on it without using the latch that would be fantastic.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

squigadoo posted:

I didn't dry the chicken thoroughly, just let it drain in a sieve over the sink. When I rolled the chicken in the cornstarch, it stuck nicely so I had high hopes.

A while back, I tried to make sweet and sour pork where the recipe was about the same (marinate, pat, cornstarch), and the crust was also bad. Tasted good though.

I'm trying to make karaage following a recipe at justbento.com. And now that I've made myself look like a weeaboo, I am using her cookbook for lunchboxes and hers looks puffed and nicely coated.
Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork batter

2 cups water, ~110-115 degrees fahrenheit
1/2 an egg, beaten
1/2 tsp baking powder
batter mix - 4 parts flour to 1 part corn starch. Maybe have about 2 cups of this ready to add to the water, give or take.

Mix water, eggs, baking powder. Then add the batter mix and beat it until you have a smooth pancake mix-like consistency.

Let the batter rest for half an hour - let the baking powder do its job.

Season the chicken with your preferred mix of salt/sugar/white pepper/msg optional, or whatever your recipe states. The seasoning is mostly all in the chicken, not the batter.

Dredge the chicken directly in the batter. No need for a cornstarch coating or egg pre-dredge. The chicken should not be that wet. That stuff should stick well to it. The coating should be healthy and thick, about 1.5 to 2mm coating the chicken. If it runs off quickly, you need to add some more batter mix and thicken it.

As soon as you lift the chicken out of the batter, immerse in oil at about 325-350F. Watch your fingers.

The restaurant method is to par fry until lightly past white into golden brown, give them a good shake in the fry basket to break off the ugly "fingers" of batter so we have nice rounded pieces as well as letting some excess oil drain off, let cool and rest (actually we freeze them for storage), then finish frying thawed pieces at 325F for about 2 minutes when an order comes. Frying it all at once might work - I think we do this for mass production and storage reasons. Experiment?

This is straight from a Chinese take-out restaurant, fudged a bit because I make 5 gallons of this stuff at a time but it should be close. If I downsized the recipe correctly, you should have super puffy, light and crunchy batter on your SS chicken or pork. If it comes out a bit too airy, reduce the baking soda and slightly reduce the amount of egg. If the coating is too puffy and you're struggling to find the chicken inside, it's probably too thick. Reduce the water. If it comes out too hard, you either fried it for too long, or the batter was probably too watery to puff up correctly. It'll end up looking a bit craggy and may be hard/sharp enough to do a number on the roof of your mouth, as well as the chicken being drier. Add more batter mix and thicken it up a bit in this case.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 4, 2012

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I have these spices in the cupboard after making a (quite excellent) chicken tikka - here is the recipe http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-veg/chicken/chicken-tikka-masala.html

Anyway, the spices I have leftover are cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, fennel, garam masala, ground cardamom and some garlic salt. I also obviously have pepper. Can anyone suggest a good idea for a steak spice rub that can be made with these ingredients? I just had a crack at it myself with a random bit of everything and tastes like bitter hell. Cheers.

edit: I am only making enough for two medium size steaks and there is also other random assorted household poo poo laying around like flour.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've gotten regular yogurt down but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the nice, creamy, custardy fruit stuff like these:

I love those loving things and they can't be bought here. I strain my yogurt to make it Greek-ish but it's not creamy, and I'm not sure how to add an even fruit flavor instead of chunks. Especially with something like lemon.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Grand Fromage posted:

I've gotten regular yogurt down but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the nice, creamy, custardy fruit stuff like these:

I love those loving things and they can't be bought here. I strain my yogurt to make it Greek-ish but it's not creamy, and I'm not sure how to add an even fruit flavor instead of chunks. Especially with something like lemon.

I think that super creamy stuff may be either whipped or have added thickening starch, or something like that. As far as the fruit, you may want to look up something like lemon preserves and do something in that vein, putting additional lemon flesh into it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

fuckpot posted:

I have these spices in the cupboard after making a (quite excellent) chicken tikka - here is the recipe http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-veg/chicken/chicken-tikka-masala.html

Anyway, the spices I have leftover are cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, fennel, garam masala, ground cardamom and some garlic salt. I also obviously have pepper. Can anyone suggest a good idea for a steak spice rub that can be made with these ingredients? I just had a crack at it myself with a random bit of everything and tastes like bitter hell. Cheers.

edit: I am only making enough for two medium size steaks and there is also other random assorted household poo poo laying around like flour.

You could make a decent steak rub using, paprika (sweet or smoked?), cumin and cayenne with regular salt and pepper. That would give a decent Southwest style seasoning, a touch on the spicy side. Try starting with 3 parts paprika, 2 parts salt, 1 part cumin, and add cayenne and black pepper in small amounts. Taste it before applying to the meat, and adjust it to taste. Adding more cumin will give it a flavor closer to taco seasoning, so go light with it at first.

Save the cinnamon, fennel (seeds? ground?) and cardamom for making baked goods (or more tikka)

I'm not super familiar with using garam masala, or turmeric but I'm betting it's where some of the bitterness is coming from.

EDIT: Question of my own, is there a difference between Granulated Garlic and Garlic Powder?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 3, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

fuckpot posted:

because garam masala should not be used for a steak rub, use it to make roti (or at least a dish to dip your roti in):

chop up 500 grams of chicken filet, marinate it in 2 tablespoons of ggaram masala, two teaspoons of cumin, and cayenne pepper and/or a red pepper (to taste).

After about 15 to 30 minutes, bake it all in olive oil on high heat, until the chicken is cooked.

Bake onion, red pepper and a chopped up tomato.
Then add 250 mL of chickenbouillon, the chicken and two cubed potatoes,
let it simmer untill the potatoes are done.

Eat with roti (flatbread)

I love it, and it's pretty much the only thing for which i use garam masala...but I guess there are loads more recipes.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Mach420 posted:

Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork batter

woah, wow thanks. I will try this, and the cornstarch slurry for Korean fried chickens.

Thank you!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Very Strange Things posted:

In a salad.

On a plate with crackers and cheese.

From your hand.
I rarely have deli meats on hand (HA HA HA HA HA), but when I see sliced meat and cheese in the refrigerator I usually just grab a fistful of it and stuff it into my slobberhole.
The Germans call this Handsalat.

While I have no issue with eating it this way, I'm not quite sure it'll work for an actual meal.

Noni posted:

Wraps, dude! But not the crappy kinds of wraps where someone just took a sandwich and replaced the bread with a tortilla. You know those wraps that look like pinwheels and you only seem to see them on catering trays? You can make those and eat them every single day, sometimes two, three, four times a day if you're really ambitious about the task.

The basic pinwheel recipe is turkey, cranberry sauce, cream cheese, and lettuce on a tortilla. However, if you're not flat broke, use a spread of dried cranberries, cream cheese, and feta. Spinach tortillas can be neat as well.

Everyone seems to have their own particular recipe, featuring green onion, spinach, tomato, cilantro, or whatever. But the magic that differentiates pinwheels from mere sandwiches happens somewhere in the mystical connection between cream cheese, cranberry, and deli meat. This is the Holy Trinity of the pinwheel. Various wrap-based religions have their own Holy recipes, but the core belief system is the same.

You can break the cranberry rule, I suppose, if you want to make baby Jesus cry, but that's generally only acceptable on Fridays during Lent, when you are supposed to eat Tuna Wraps.

By the way, if sacrilege is your thing and you want to go straight to pinwheel hell, Paula Deen has a wrap that involves deep fried pickles and a ham that's been baptized in cream cheese and the joyful tears of young diabetic virgins. You use bacon instead of a tortilla, obviously, and serve the wrap well-greased and stylistically embedded between two donuts, like it's the axle in a wheel of shame.

Hmm..wraps are an idea. I've never heard of these pinwheel things before. I guess I can pretty much stuff anything I want into one.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Grand Fromage posted:

Guar gum and/or carageenan. In theory you could mix xanthan gum in directly and it would make it thicker, and then yeah you could probably whip it and it would hold the air(I think). With yogurts that have fruit flavor but not fruit on the bottom its more than likely liquid flavor (whether its a puree or a fake flavoring) that's mixed in. Again this probably would be done afterward.

I'm a BIG fan of the chobani passionfruit yogurt -- it's got seeds! :3:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Never tried one of those, but have you tried mixing in something like lemon curd to your yogurt?

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I have a few quick-frozen whiting fish fillets thawed in my fridge that I want to do something with tonight. I don't really eat fish so this will be my first time cooking it. I think the scales are still on one side (:barf:). The bag says that I should bake them, which is fine. I mainly just feel like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. Am I supposed to cut the meat away from the scales? Are the bones still in there? How do I season these things?

(Also, I generally eat low carb so I'm not gonna bread them)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

I have a few quick-frozen whiting fish fillets thawed in my fridge that I want to do something with tonight. I don't really eat fish so this will be my first time cooking it. I think the scales are still on one side (:barf:). The bag says that I should bake them, which is fine. I mainly just feel like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. Am I supposed to cut the meat away from the scales? Are the bones still in there? How do I season these things?

(Also, I generally eat low carb so I'm not gonna bread them)

If they were individually vacuum sealed and frozen, they should have been scaled, and if they're fillets they should have no bones. What you're seeing is probably the skin. Fish skin is delicious. Whiting is boring otoh, but you can do things to it. Strong flavors like cumin, lime, coriander, or marinate in soy, sugar, and sesame. Maybe fresh ground cumin, coriander, fenugreek, chile, and hing. Don't forget salt in all of these. Then just preheat a skillet with some neutral oil until rippling. Put the fish in skin side down, allow to get golden brown, flip and finish, shouldn't take very long at all.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Cyril Sneer posted:

While I have no issue with eating it this way, I'm not quite sure it'll work for an actual meal.

I dunno; throw in some bread and cheese slices, and you've got a ploughman's lunch. Of course, that's not exactly a huge departure. I've always seen a ploughman's lunch as just a sandwich you were too lazy to actually make.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Cyril Sneer posted:

Hmm..wraps are an idea. I've never heard of these pinwheel things before. I guess I can pretty much stuff anything I want into one.

It's common to use cheese spread or some other kind of creamy spread to keep everything in place. They're usually good for easy appetizers if you're throwing a party, but I'm pretty sure we've eaten them for dinner in college...

Now for a question: I have a grater that looks like this and I have no idea how to use it. I tried grating zucchini on it today but that didn't work out so well.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I would recommend using the surfaces to the left and/or right of that one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think that middle one is used for ginger and wasabi? Getting the meat out of fibrous roots

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I think that middle one is used for ginger and wasabi? Getting the meat out of fibrous roots

That, and in general, whenever you want to pretty much pulp something as opposed to shredding. Grated pear for marinades, grated daikon for your ponzu sauce, etc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

taco show posted:

Now for a question: I have a grater that looks like this and I have no idea how to use it. I tried grating zucchini on it today but that didn't work out so well.

This doesn't actually answer your question, but as general advice: Unless you've already got a grater that you just loving love, buy a coarse microplane and a fine microplane and never look back. They'll run you around US$14 apiece from e.g. amazon and are seriously way the gently caress better than the generic grater that seems to magically materialize in everyone's kitchens and just mangles the gently caress out of whatever you try to use it for.

Buying a couple microplanes was my second biggest `holy gently caress why have I been doing it any other way all these years' moment in the kitchen, right behind when I bought a decent vegetable peeler.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

Got these from a friend on his return from Japan. From what I understand they are spices to flavor rice (?) but other than that I am at a loss to figure out the traditional use and/or what kind of recipes to use them in.

They seem to be various spice mixtures with varying ratios of sesame/that asian pepper that creates a numbing sensation/other goodness.

Can anyone help unlock these culinary mysteries from glorious Nippon?

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Viking Blood posted:

Got these from a friend on his return from Japan. From what I understand they are spices to flavor rice (?) but other than that I am at a loss to figure out the traditional use and/or what kind of recipes to use them in.

They seem to be various spice mixtures with varying ratios of sesame/that asian pepper that creates a numbing sensation/other goodness.

Can anyone help unlock these culinary mysteries from glorious Nippon?

If you post a picture of the actual contents of the jars it would be more helpful, but from your description it sounds like furikake, which is literally rice seasoning and should be sprinkled on freshly cooked rice. Also good on popcorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 4, 2012

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

loopsheloop posted:

If you post a picture of the actual contents of the jars it would be more helpful, but from your description it sounds like furikake, which is literally rice seasoning and should be sprinkled on freshly cooked rice. Also good on popcorn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

I don't think this stuff is furikake, based on the wiki and your description. I didn't think to post a pic of the actual spices as I was hoping the labels meant something to someone.

The contents of these jars look like powdered spice...one red-ish, one green-ish and two of them brown-ish. The brown ones look like Garam Masala.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

one of them is probably a shichimi togarashi

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

one of them is probably a shichimi togarashi

This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but I think it might be the middle 2? They've got the character for 7 on them (apparently shichimi togarashi has 7 ingredients according to google?), and they're the same characters. The green one on the far right is definitely the Szechwan pepper, it's got "mountain" and "pepper" on it, another name for Szechwan pepper according to wikipedia. I think the left one translates to "gang", or maybe "ingredient". I just put 一味 into google translate. This is just me stumbling through google though, so I might be really off.

Edit 2: Ok, I take back the green one being szechwan pepper. I think it's japanese pepper, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_piperitum. Googling around for sansyo, a lot of the bottles are green so maybe that's it.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 4, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Abobo posted:

I dunno; throw in some bread and cheese slices, and you've got a ploughman's lunch. Of course, that's not exactly a huge departure. I've always seen a ploughman's lunch as just a sandwich you were too lazy to actually make.

I like calling that a "deconstructed sandwich" because it sounds pleasantly pretentious.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
The best time for a deconstructed sandwich is when you "accidently" made too much of your sandwich filling that you have to mound it on two token pieces of bread, and if asked by her indoors what you had for lunch you can honestly say "I just had a sandwich".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I tried to make Hot Cross Buns from this recipe the other day and they were OK-ish, but nothing special. A bit heavy and the crosses were crunchy, not soft.

Does anyone have a good, works-every-time recipe for Hot Cross Buns?

Was it an error to make them slightly smug "non-denominational Spring festival buns" with letters on them? Do they only work if you have God on your side?