Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate to get all BFC on your rear end but if the difference between 38MPG highway and 35MPG highway on premium is gonna put a significant hurting on your budget, to the degree that you're going to care about it a lot, you should not be buying a new car.

I could afford premium gas, but if I can get a basically equivalent car that's cheaper overall to maintain I'm going to go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

You forgot the best part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHPnk443XY

The glass roof fucks off at the push of a button. This genuinely excites me for the future of lincoln.

edit: speaking of buttons:

so not much chance of a stick
Where is the gear lever?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

b0nes posted:

Where is the gear lever?

The buttons left of the center console.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate to get all BFC on your rear end but if the difference between 38MPG highway and 35MPG highway on premium is gonna put a significant hurting on your budget, to the degree that you're going to care about it a lot, you should not be buying a new car.

Yeah, if your parents are paying for the car and not the insurance, the insurance premium is gonna be a major factor in the TCO for a new car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

At the end of the day it's about money though, since when I get this new car I'll be a poor recent college grad. I can get 38 MPG highway in the Veloster Turbo on regular gas, vs 35 mpg in the Mini S on premium.

I also hate to say it, but why are you buying a new car if money is so tight? It's one of the poorest financial decisions you can make as a young person without a lot of income. I graduated a couple years ago, and even though I've had a couple of very lucrative jobs I still don't think that buying a new car makes sense yet.

That said, the cost difference between 35 and 38mpg, even premium vs. regular, is so marginal that if that is actually a monetary concern for you you really probably should not be buying a new car. Even if you drive 15,000 miles per year, with a price premium of 30 cents/gallon for premium vs. regular, that's only $120 in extra fuel costs. And that 3 MPG difference means you consume a whole 33 gallons more of gas per year, which even at $5/gallon is less than $200. If $300/yr is enough of a financial burden to make you think twice about getting your top-choice car, then I'm not sure that new is the best decision.

Not that buying a new car is always a bad idea, but they carry a huge price premium and are utterly terrible "investments". Buying new is for people with established careers and healthy income, not poor recent college grads. The much higher initial cost and higher insurance requirements/premiums make it an extremely expensive proposition compared to a 3-7 year old used car without much benefit other than "being new".

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The car's a college graduation present. My current car is getting up there in miles and has started to accumulate some rather expensive repairs, so my parents have decided to get me something I won't have to worry about crapping out on me for a while. I won't have to worry about car payments, but insurance and maintenance are all on me, which is why I'm looking for something that's reliable and cheap to maintain.

I'm on a budget, but it's not that tight. If I can save a few dollars a month I'm going to.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The car's a college graduation present. My current car is getting up there in miles and has started to accumulate some rather expensive repairs, so my parents have decided to get me something I won't have to worry about crapping out on me for a while. I won't have to worry about car payments, but insurance and maintenance are all on me, which is why I'm looking for something that's reliable and cheap to maintain.

I'm on a budget, but it's not that tight. If I can save a few dollars a month I'm going to.

The obvious answer is to get a Prius: great on gas, cheap maintenance, incredibly reliable, and I'd bet the insurance isn't bad on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The GTI will come with 3/36 paid maintenance and roadside assistance. I believe MINI has something similar.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BonzoESC posted:

The obvious answer is to get a Prius: great on gas, cheap maintenance, incredibly reliable, and I'd bet the insurance isn't bad on it.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm leaning away from hybrids because they're all horribly ugly or boring sedans. I want something fun and nice but cheap to maintain.

Veloster Turbo, Mini S, GTI, and possibly the Honda Fit

There's only one car in your list that's a known performance machine, and it's the GTI. There's only one car in your list that's known to be reliable, and it's the Fit. The Veloster Turbo and Mini S are unproven in both categories.

You may want to broaden your search to include Mazda and Nissan.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Hyundai's warranty is pretty drat good, and the local dealership extends the powertrain warranty to 20 years/200,000 miles. I doubt I'll even have this car for 20 years. 20 years from now I'll be 43 and will likely have kids that will necessitate purchasing a Mom Car.

I've definitely taken all you guys's input into consideration. All of this is on the back burner kicking around in the back of my head till summer anyway, so I have more than enough time to do some serious research into everything.

Oh hey new reply while I've been typing:

I'll probably look at a Mazda or two, my sister's got a Mazda 3 hatchback that's been pretty good to her. There aren't really any Nissans out there that have caught my eye. I looked at the Versa and was not impressed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Faceless Clock posted:

It's not popular. Mini is super low volume.

it was the 17th most popular brand by new car sales 2010 in the UK1, which is pretty impressive considering they pretty much only made one model until very recently.

1http://www.am-online.com/new-car-sales-figures/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

It's a car a grandpa Cylon would adore.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Here's some random online service's estimates. Obviously not super reliable but ok for a ballpark

code:
2012 Mini Cooper
		YEAR 1 	YEAR 2 	YEAR 3 	YEAR 4 	YEAR 5 	5 YR TOTAL
Depreciation 	$1,537 	$1,741 	$1,596 	$1,521 	$1,279 	$7,674
Financing 	$630 	$505 	$367 	$226 	$82 	$1,810
Insurance 	$1,250 	$1,250 	$1,250 	$1,250 	$1,250 	$6,250
State Fees 	$116 	$85 	$84 	$78 	$78 	$441
Fuel 		$1,605 	$1,698 	$1,796 	$1,901 	$2,011 	$9,011
Maintenance 	N/A 	N/A 	$93 	$862 	$194 	$1,149
Repairs 	N/A 	N/A 	N/A 	$280 	$603 	$883
Cost Per Year 	$5,138 	$5,279 	$5,186 	$6,118 	$5,497 	$27,218

2012 Hyundai Veloster
Depreciation 	$4,797 	$1,693 	$1,515 	$1,414 	$1,165 	$10,584
Financing 	$563 	$451 	$328 	$202 	$73 	$1,617
Insurance 	$1,316 	$1,316 	$1,316 	$1,316 	$1,316 	$6,580
State Fees 	$111 	$73 	$73 	$67 	$66 	$390
Fuel 		$1,464 	$1,549 	$1,638 	$1,733 	$1,834 	$8,218
Maintenance 	$43 	$120 	$389 	$731 	$502 	$1,785
Repairs 	N/A 	N/A 	N/A 	N/A 	$171 	$171
Cost Per Year 	$8,294 	$5,202 	$5,259 	$5,463 	$5,127 	$29,345

2012 VW GTi
Depreciation 	$4,327 	$1,902 	$1,716 	$1,626 	$1,365 	$10,936
Financing 	$742 	$595 	$432 	$266 	$96 	$2,131
Insurance 	$1,537 	$1,537 	$1,537 	$1,537 	$1,537 	$7,685
State Fees 	$125 	$89 	$88 	$82 	$81 	$465
Fuel 		$2,054 	$2,173 	$2,299 	$2,432 	$2,573 	$11,531
Maintenance 	N/A 	$44 	$562 	$1,054 	$393 	$2,053
Repairs 	N/A 	N/A 	$92 	$199 	$404 	$695
Cost Per Year 	$8,785 	$6,340 	$6,726 	$7,196 	$6,449 	$35,496
In conclusion, at that price, I would buy a FT-86/Subaru BRZ because it looks the funnest and also I hate the Mini's interior a lot.

MrKatharsis posted:

There's only one car in your list that's a known performance machine, and it's the GTI. There's only one car in your list that's known to be reliable, and it's the Fit. The Veloster Turbo and Mini S are unproven in both categories.

You may want to broaden your search to include Mazda and Nissan.

Mazda definitely, but Nissan? What do they make in this range? The Versa? For hatches, I'd take a look at Ford - Fiesta and Focus come as hatches and apparently they drive real nice. Also, I bet WRXes are sitting on the lots right now that the Impreza's left them behind and all the fanboys are waiting on the BRZ/redesigned WRX. Not a two-door, but definitely a sporty hatch. Also I guess Chevy or Scion, with Scion in particular being at least reliable. Hell, they say nice things about the Buick Verano in that price range, although obviously this is out of left field.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GTI maintenance cost isn't accurate since they comp 3/36 scheduled maintenance.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cream_Filling posted:

Mazda definitely, but Nissan? What do they make in this range? The Versa? For hatches, I'd take a look at Ford - Fiesta and Focus come as hatches and apparently they drive real nice. Also, I bet WRXes are sitting on the lots right now that the Impreza's left them behind and all the fanboys are waiting on the BRZ/redesigned WRX. Not a two-door, but definitely a sporty hatch. Also I guess Chevy or Scion, with Scion in particular being at least reliable. Hell, they say nice things about the Buick Verano in that price range, although obviously this is out of left field.

I meant to suggest the SR-R Spec V but we're talking hatches. In that case, I propose the comedy turbo Juke option.

EDIT: ^^^GTI repairs isn't accurate either because $700 over 5 years? Yeah right, that's like two window regulators.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I imagine that is actually based on some collected data.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrKatharsis posted:

There's only one car in your list that's a known performance machine, and it's the GTI.

Is the GTI really more performance credentialed than the Cooper S?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, I bet WRXes are sitting on the lots right now that the Impreza's left them behind and all the fanboys are waiting on the BRZ/redesigned WRX.

Don't bet on it.

Out of my 6 local dealers, there are exactly 1 WRX and 1 STI for sale.

Most places have been selling them as soon (if not before) as they hit the lot since the widebody redesign.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

In conclusion, at that price, I would buy a FT-86/Subaru BRZ because it looks the funnest and also I hate the Mini's interior a lot.

I'd totally go for the FT-86 if my insurance isn't going to be like "A 20something single person with a rear wheel drive sports car? First born child, please". I'm gonna head over to the insurance thread and read up on that.

In conclusion, I want a car that has some semblance of performance so it's fun to drive but not so much that my insurance goes up a ton, gets good gas mileage, has decent cargo space, and isn't a bitch to maintain which has led me to my list o' hatchbacks thus far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'd totally go for the FT-86 if my insurance isn't going to be like "A 20something single person with a rear wheel drive sports car? First born child, please". I'm gonna head over to the insurance thread and read up on that.

In conclusion, I want a car that has some semblance of performance so it's fun to drive but not so much that my insurance goes up a ton, gets good gas mileage, has decent cargo space, and isn't a bitch to maintain which has led me to my list o' hatchbacks thus far.

20-something with an imperfect driving record driving a 128i and I was paying $130/mo in insurance which I considered quite reasonable - insurance on the GTI was about the same when I was looking.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrKatharsis posted:

I meant to suggest the SR-R Spec V but we're talking hatches. In that case, I propose the comedy turbo Juke option.

EDIT: ^^^GTI repairs isn't accurate either because $700 over 5 years? Yeah right, that's like two window regulators.

Yeah but the Sentra is absolutely ancient and I think the rates on the SE-R aren't great, either.

Isn't the Juke actually pretty good? I've heard it's actually pretty fun to drive. Also rock-bottom insurance rates.

As for the BRZ: you only live once. It doesn't have much cargo space and insurance will probably cost a lot but I'd do it anyway. Obviously your opinions may differ.

Best thing to do I feel is just test drive as much as you have time for.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

Don't bet on it.

Out of my 6 local dealers, there are exactly 1 WRX and 1 STI for sale.

Most places have been selling them as soon (if not before) as they hit the lot since the widebody redesign.

Huh did not know that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'd really like a BMW 1 series, but BMWs are a bit out of my price range for now. I'm torn on the Juke. I might take a look at it. Right now I'm puttering around in a 4 cylinder CR-V so most cars are "fast" compared to it. The CR-V is okay mechanically for now so I'm going to stick with it till I find something that I absolutely love.

So as not to derail the thread with hatchback chat, have you seen the BMW i8 Spyder concept? I really want this to become a reality.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/02/bmw-i8-concept-spyder-video/

vvv Yeah, I did not intend to turn this into a car recommendation derail. Back to car news, everyone!

Problem! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm planning to move from the 1 series to the BRZ at some point. This has turned in to a recommend me a car thread .

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

2013 Viper will be unveiled in NY.

This car is going to be amazing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

This car is going to be amazing.

Isn't it basically an SLS but with a V-10 and no gullwings?

Wait that actually sounds good except for the gullwings because gullwings are awesome.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Wait that actually sounds good except for the gullwings because gullwings are awesome.

I second this. I love the look of the SLS's wings, though a Viper with its platform based on the SLS may be interesting. It would be cool to see if Dodge can get the thing to hook up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think gullwings are cool, but aren't there some nasty practicality issues with them (clearance, ease of closing, rollover explosive bolts...)?

I mean, I've never opened my car door and thought "drat, my car would be a lot cooler if the doors opened up!"

Of course, you can't make a mid 90's Taurus SHO any more cool. It's pretty much tops in that department.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 3, 2012

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

I think gullwings are cool, but aren't there some nasty practicality issues with them (clearance, ease of closing, rollover explosive bolts...)?

I mean, I've never opened my car door and thought "drat, my car would be a lot cooler if the doors opened up!"

Of course, you can't make a mid 90's Taurus SHO any more cool. It's pretty much tops in that department.

I believe it depends on the implementation. Some open out and then up which can cause clearance issues, other issue would be if you took the car out in the rain, there is not a whole lot stopping 1/2 the roof from being rained through while you get in, also of course those hydraulic arms are going to wear out in a few years, etc, etc. But overall they look cool as hell and unlike lambo doors, aren't all played out (yet). Someone who has some experience could chime in as I have only dinked around with a few cars with them.

And I agree. Those 90's SHO's are cool sleeper. Owners find it surprising when someone walks up and ask them about their SHO and find out someone else actually knows what it means. I have a video somewhere around here of a bunch of boosted SHO's beating on Vettes/SS's/Stangs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

I sure hope not because the SLS is the ugliest Mercedes I've ever seen.

The new Altima looks pretty good, for a midsize FWD sedan with a CVT I guess.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like the new Altima too. I'd put it up there with the new Fusion as a top pick in the midsize class. The Camry and current Accord really don't interest, and the Sonata is looking dated.

Edit: There were a lot of forced induction V6 SHO guys on shoforum back in the day. Those engines took boost really well. It was magical to see a 450whp front drive car pull on sports cars. If you were already moving anyways.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 4, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BobSpelledBackward posted:

I believe it depends on the implementation. Some open out and then up which can cause clearance issues, other issue would be if you took the car out in the rain, there is not a whole lot stopping 1/2 the roof from being rained through while you get in, also of course those hydraulic arms are going to wear out in a few years, etc, etc. But overall they look cool as hell and unlike lambo doors, aren't all played out (yet). Someone who has some experience could chime in as I have only dinked around with a few cars with them.

And I agree. Those 90's SHO's are cool sleeper. Owners find it surprising when someone walks up and ask them about their SHO and find out someone else actually knows what it means. I have a video somewhere around here of a bunch of boosted SHO's beating on Vettes/SS's/Stangs.

Not necessarily true. There is a clearance issue above the car, but usually they're on super low slung sports cars so it's still not taller than an average person. Most designs (by which I mean the SLS and the DeLorean) actually require less side clearance than a conventional door (slightly less than a foot for the delorean I believe). Also, most of the designs include a drain area for water to come off the top part of the door/roof, while the side panel usually covers the majority of the roof cut from the door. I know that on the DeLorean, in order to make sure that the mechanism didn't wear out in a few years, the actual motive power for the door comes from a set of aerospace quality torsion bars which are held under tension when the door is closed, and the gas struts are there only to cushion the doors so they don't bounce at the end of their travel. Apparently those torsion bars will last basically forever.

Also, unlike lambo doors, gullwing doors are actually pretty good at being a door. Especially in a low-slung sports car, the extra cut on the roof makes it easier to get in and out without hitting your head and you can open the door fully with only like a foot of room on the side. The original reason for gullwings on the SLR was I believe to allow the frame rails at the bottom to be higher for better chassis rigidity while still letting people get in.

The biggest issue with gullwings, other than cost, is that you can't open them if the car is on its roof or if there is less than 11" clearance on the side. Mercedes solves this with like complicated explosive bolts. I don't know if the Delorean solves this at all except by being really low and really wide. I guess they expect you to break out a windshield and crawl out or something. You've already totally wrecked the car, so I can't imagine this is a huge deal so long as you package a hammer in the cabin or something.

In conclusion, gullwings are the coolest and I will one day buy a DeLorean.

Oh, and the SLS would have been cool if only it had round headlights.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

BobSpelledBackward posted:

I second this. I love the look of the SLS's wings, though a Viper with its platform based on the SLS may be interesting. It would be cool to see if Dodge can get the thing to hook up.

Its the other way around actually.

The SLS is based of the new Viper Platform. Its just Mercedes inept management of Chrysler, corporate pettiness, and the following breakup and money issues that stalled it this long. Just like the M-Class is based of a Cherokee platform.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Throatwarbler posted:

I sure hope not because the SLS is the ugliest Mercedes I've ever seen.

The new Altima looks pretty good, for a midsize FWD sedan with a CVT I guess.

Whaaaaaaaat? The ugliest you've ever seen? The old R-class is pretty bad, and the old A and B classes aren't lookers either.

Even the new SL looks pretty dumb compared to the SLS. Would you rather drive this:

Or this?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hot drat. I think the SLS is a hot piece. If the new Viper is the poor mans SLS, then I can't wait for Clarkson to shred it's tires and declare it the worst American car ever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bidikyoopi posted:

Whaaaaaaaat? The ugliest you've ever seen?

Yes. The back end is terrible and the proportions are terrible. I'd rather have a new Altima, they're both slushbox-only so who gives a poo poo.

The new SL does look pretty dumb. The SL peaked with the R230.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

Its the other way around actually.

The SLS is based of the new Viper Platform. Its just Mercedes inept management of Chrysler, corporate pettiness, and the following breakup and money issues that stalled it this long. Just like the M-Class is based of a Cherokee platform.

Did not know this. I thought that the whole cross platform use between the two was over. I guess I have been out of the loop too long lately.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I never thought I'd just about :barf: just from looking at a car. :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes. The back end is terrible and the proportions are terrible. I'd rather have a new Altima, they're both slushbox-only so who gives a poo poo.

The new SL does look pretty dumb. The SL peaked with the R230.

you're weird and your foreign tastes and customs frighten and disgust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, the SLS is all but confirmed to be built on what was to be the third-gen Viper's platform. We don't know if THIS third-gen Viper is also built on that platform, though; it's not like Fiat auto group has a dearth of sports car platforms to build on, after all. It could be a whole new car from the ground up.

I'm really interested to see whether the new engine will be odd-fire like the old Vipers or a euro-style even-fire design. Has anything like that about the motor leaked?