Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Desert Bus posted:

My issue with Mel is her enunciation. It sounds to me like she went overboard trying to sound spooky and magical.
Ergo perfectly in character, since book Melisandre also really oversells her magical abilities, menace and knowledge of the supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I know. I know. Oh oh oh.

Under the sea, water is air and authors write books! I know. I know. Oh oh oh.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Nimec posted:

Under the sea, water is air and authors write books! I know. I know. Oh oh oh.

It is known.

Still, into the second season and no lemoncakes.

I think I'll post a theory about the comet in the TVIV thread about how it just a probe sent out by the Imperium. Soon it will send its data back to Holy Terra and then they can expect an invasion of Imperial Guard, dropped off by the ship the Litany of Litany's Litany. Yeah? :commissar:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Speaking of mounting direwolves, Grey Wind's giant CGI head is going to look lovely on Robb's body. :allears:

Something that just occurred to me...

Did we actually witness Roob die? I mean Yeah, we saw him stuck with a few quarrels and perhaps run through with a sword, but did anyone check his pulse?

Not the first time a corpse was made to look like someone else. Missing face? Missing head?
Not too late for the gurm to bring Roob back. Would be quite the thing for Cat too see, after she went and ripped her own face and throat apart.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Grey Wrobb (Grobb Wind) is obviously Azor Ahai.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

zocio posted:

Let me translate that: I pictured Melisandre as having nice tits, not saggy ones.

Christina Hendricks will always be Mel in my mind...
Um...you really can't get much saggier on a woman of her age than Hendricks, just due to the sheer goddamned size of the things.

Sophia posted:

It gets easier to deal with the plot when you accept that on a base level everyone in the story has the impulse control of a three year old in Willy Wonka's factory and the mental fortitude of a paranoid schizophrenic. Characters are all merely reflections of their authors, after all.
Well, it's not too far off from the time/setting he's basing it off of, as the TVIV thread mentioned. There's tons and tons of :psyboom: moments where rulers do insane things for really petty reasons.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

:pcgaming: GRRM NAME TALK :pcgaming:

And Charles becomes Charlie, Chuck, Chip, and Chaz.

Richard = Dick

varlet
Feb 10, 2010

I would use every crayon in my box

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Grey Wrobb (Grobb Wind) is obviously Azor Ahai.

Tommen is the Prince That Was Promised (a kitten).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Fog Tripper posted:

Richard = Dick
And Mad Men has taught us that, oddly, Peggy is short for Margaret. :pseudo:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Stallion that will Mount the World

Whatever it was the Seven do

The Old Gods are just the USB trees from Avatar

Azor Ahai ???

Prophecies seem to keep getting tossed aside as GRRM runs out of/steals ideas.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Fog Tripper posted:

Something that just occurred to me...

Did we actually witness Roob die? I mean Yeah, we saw him stuck with a few quarrels and perhaps run through with a sword, but did anyone check his pulse?

Not the first time a corpse was made to look like someone else. Missing face? Missing head?
Not too late for the gurm to bring Roob back. Would be quite the thing for Cat too see, after she went and ripped her own face and throat apart.

if either robb or little robb show up I'm done. I mean really done. About the only thing dumber would be Ned coming back. Even Xenu or the imperium or gay nazi vampires or santa claus or whateverthefuck showing up would be less of a cheapening, interest-killing development.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

nuncle jimbo posted:

if either robb or little robb show up I'm done. I mean really done. About the only thing dumber would be Ned coming back. Even Xenu or the imperium or gay nazi vampires or santa claus or whateverthefuck showing up would be less of a cheapening, interest-killing development.

That assumes GRRM writes so the point is moot. Thankfully the lemoncakes keep him away from his keyboard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nuncle jimbo posted:

But Robb has fans and as we all know GRRM loves pleasing his fans.

He's been knocking everyone down just so he can bring them back for a massive orgy of cliche.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ehhh, I've known one or two girls who've gone by Cat when they probably should have gone with Kate instead. It's less a "this sounds like that" than a "this has the same letters as that" diminutive. Some nicknames don't make a lot of sense, like Jack, Bill, or Hank. (Or Ned.)

So have I, I guess I am trying to justify in my mind why they are mispronouncing her name :(

And by orgy of cliche is that a figurative statement or a literal orgy of cliche-zombies? There is a difference. :science:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mind the walrus posted:

But Robb has fans and as we all know GRRM loves pleasing his fans.

He's been knocking everyone down just so he can bring them back for a massive orgy of cliche.

The next cliche he brings down is the cliche of breaking cliches.

He's playing a long, pizza-grease coated game. We're through the looking-glass here, people.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Clearly, Ser Robert Strong is actually Grey Robb. That's why he's never seen without his armor/helm.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Gurm's dick is hard and full of feces.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Gurm's dick is hard and full of feces.

It is known.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is known.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I was watching the second ep of this new season with my gal and they do the part where Theon shows up at Pyke and is all over his sister....after that my girlfriend asks "This GRRM guy doesn't have a sister does he?"

Bad thread?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I was watching the second ep of this new season with my gal and they do the part where Theon shows up at Pyke and is all over his sister....after that my girlfriend asks "This GRRM guy doesn't have a sister does he?"

Bad thread?

Two sisters...

http://georgerrmartin.com/life/

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Do you want to know if the Gurm has a sister or if you should marry that girl?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

It is known.

Still, into the second season and no lemoncakes.

Weren't there lemoncakes in Episode 9? Arya's asking the baker dude for handouts and is like, "How about a lemon one?" or something. Then she went and watched her dad's head get chopped off.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
How many kids do his sisters have and do any resemble a miniature goblin-Santa hybrid? Unless all those kids are prolific writers with a healthy BMI we might have to nurse these suspicions.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zocio posted:

Do you want to know if the Gurm has a sister or if you should marry that girl?

The answer to both is true, apparently.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh she's on lock for sure. Don't you worry. She was also laughing her rear end off at GRRM on the making-of for the blu-ray of the show and said he sounded like a "real nerdlinger".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how long Gurm humored a timeskip after ASOS before deciding "Nope, too much work" and shat out AFFC and ADWD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how 2000 pages of dickery and more pointless detail with a thimble-full of plot development is "less work" than just jumping ahead five years and pretending it's the start of a whole new saga, basically dividing the series into "generational eras" of sorts.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Urdnot Fire posted:

and shat out AFFC and ADWD.

Some newcomers might read this as figurative, but let me point out that Udrnot Fire is being literal here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM's words are fiery berry dooks, and we are the Dothraki Sea.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

Some newcomers might read this as figurative, but let me point out that Udrnot Fire is being literal here.

Seriously. He even reproduced it as the most riveting chapter in ADWD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Watching the HBOGO Episode on preview and I've got to say, the scene where Tyrion disposes Janos Slynt and institutes Bronn as Commander of the Gold Cloaks is still pimp.

E- As a straight man I shouldn't be this embarassed to see gratuitous scenes of people loving. Christ, is the complex plot not enough to prove this is adult?

And the scene with Theon feeling up Asha Yara is as gross as I remembered it.

E2- Sahlador Saan (or horwever you spell that) is loving awesome, as is Davos. Great casting and great lines. Thank loving christ.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 4, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

Watching the HBOGO Episode on preview and I've got to say, the scene where Tyrion disposes Janos Slynt and institutes Bronn as Commander of the Gold Cloaks is still pimp.

I also liked the scene between Arya and Gendry when she tells him who she really is.

Also because Jaqen H'ghar is still the best character GRRM's invented.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

E- As a straight man I shouldn't be this embarassed to see gratuitous scenes of people loving. Christ, is the complex plot not enough to prove this is adult?

And the scene with Theon feeling up Asha Yara is as gross as I remembered it.

At least she didn't return the favor like she did in the book. That was too Gurmy even for HBO.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jaquen H'ghar's actor is loving awful in the one scene I've seen him in. He's acting way too much and putting on too many "sexy bad boy" affects to take seriously. I know that's kind-of the point, but say something for subtlety's sake.

Also it is kind of nice that the turd-basket of AFFC has been out so long-- Lena Headly is already putting in touches of Cersei's myopia and megalomania.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh aces you get to see Melisandre's tits. The goon who said they were saggy is loving high. Even with professional make-up and CGI airbrushing those are still tits men can, will, and likely have died for.

And it's "plot relevant" since you get to see the shadow-baby being conceived beyond the shadow-of-a-doubt (hah, I'm not funny).

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

mind the walrus posted:

I like how 2000 pages of dickery and more pointless detail with a thimble-full of plot development is "less work" than just jumping ahead five years and pretending it's the start of a whole new saga, basically dividing the series into "generational eras" of sorts.

he doesn't get paid or have time magazine happily slurp his greasy wad for a 5 year timelapse

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

loving hah the White Walkers make the goddamn Predator clicking noise. Also an awful lot of infanticide going on right now.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
I'm hoping this season ends with every episode with a baby being killed right before the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The tits:infanticide ratio is the new sexposition counter.