Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bobulus posted:

^ As far as I know, it's just a Neverending Story reference to match up with him earlier riding a Falcor for no real reason.

You get the wolf thing now, right?

I'm kind of terrified that there's already a generation that hasn't seen a film that was so huge to my childhood.

You know, I have seen Neverending story a hundred times and it's just this minute clicked that that is what the wolfhead is from. Now I just feel dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Starmaker posted:

I've been reading this comic from the start, and sporadically kept up with the fan base, but I didn't even know the wolf head was a fandom thing. It's a fandom thing?

Not the wolf thing specifically, but Andrew's interlude/rant at that point was a response to fandom people whining about how long Hivebent was taking.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nate RFB posted:

This video still contains my favorite Fat Vriska joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8HOWTja_s

Somehow I was anticipating DULCE HERMANO Y TREMENDO JOSE TRES.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ha ha, and here I came in, after seeing the album, to specifically complain about there being no Darkleer song. Wow, that's really too bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FebrezeNinja posted:

Volume 5 had a few removed for being stolen. Cathedral of the End and such.

Oh man, I have that version. Uh, where's it stolen from?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Not the wolf thing specifically, but Andrew's interlude/rant at that point was a response to fandom people whining about how long Hivebent was taking.

Yeah, I think this sort of thing just depends on the reader. I had a friend start reading near the end of Act 5, and though he wasn't around for the Hivebent reaction he was able to piece together that Some People at Some Point had complained about the trolls, hence that response.

And honestly that author intervention is more penetrable than something like, say, the Pantskat jokes. The Hussie/Vriska thing will probably be easy to suss out (oh the author has a crush on this character who abruptly became very important halfway through the story) but like Hussie in the attic the full impact of the joke is probably lost for the purely archival reader.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

You know, I have seen Neverending story a hundred times and it's just this minute clicked that that is what the wolfhead is from. Now I just feel dumb

I mean, I'm not trying to be mean, but...

Hussie Standin posted:

It is like I am the kid from the Never Ending Story. I was chased by some bullies into this loving attic and now I am watching people watching people watching more people kissing and stuff basically forever. How many metalayers removed this story can we get??

This attic is spooky. I wish those bullies would just leave me alone.

Later I am going to ride a long magic dog through the sky and gently caress their poo poo up.

Do you have any idea how long I've been trapped in this attic??

Do you have any idea how loving SCARY it is in here???

Do you have even the SLIGHTEST CLUE how many times that wolf head over there has SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME?????

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAR FOOT posted:

Thanks muchski. Now to come up with a suitable phrase to go underneath...

8luh!!!!!!!!

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Prison Warden posted:

Amd maybe I missed other people saying this, but the twin lizardlike statues right before his proposal are in the exact same position/posture, or extremely closely so, to the eye laser / oracle statues in Neverending Story as well.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Koush posted:

http://fav.me/d306esa

:aaa: I knew I recognized that from somewhere! I remember finding that looking for homestuck wallpapers that aren't completely terrible/that I wouldn't be ashamed to display in public.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dexanth posted:

Amd maybe I missed other people saying this, but the twin lizardlike statues right before his proposal are in the exact same position/posture, or extremely closely so, to the eye laser / oracle statues in Neverending Story as well.

I'm kinda expecting for the camera to cut back to Hussie's ghost later and have him complain about how all the magical horses sank into the mud and now he's alone.

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"
FYI, you aren't a true Homestuck fan if your wallpaper isn't an animated mosaic of every Randys133 video.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

After the contest ended Radiation announced that not a single person had written a song about Karkat, out of the over 700 entries he received.

Well, that's easily the most depressing Homestuck-related statement I've ever read.

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

I did get a few Karkat tracks - about five, actually - just not any ones that I thought were super-appropriate for the character and the album. Nothing that made me get up and shout "drat YOU KARKAT!"

Rachel Macwhirter actually sent in one called Blood Knight, and, while cool, it was kind of a midi rock guitar thing, so... why not go with the real thing?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was the Indigo Archer thing as huge a kick in the balls as I'd imagine it was? Especially after all the legal stuff you had to take care of beforehand. Like did it cause a huge headache for the redistribution of money and such? Even though it was only up there fore a matter of hours before it was caught.

I guess I just hope it wasn't as stressful as I'm afraid it turned out to be, because the fan album idea was really neat.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.

Nate RFB posted:

Like did it cause a huge headache for the redistribution of money and such? Even though it was only up there fore a matter of hours before it was caught.

I imagine the money from album sales just all goes to Huss of Lips, Inc and then from there is paid out to individuals at a later date, unless they just get some kind of flat fee for music or something.

If this is how it's done, it wouldn't cause a problem with the ripped-off track thing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
wow I'm loving Iron Infidel, reminds me a little of the song of the ood from the 4th season of new doctor who

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
Holy poo poo, I love "Your Universe". Great sound all over, and I just love geeky things that can fly under the radar ("I took your arm to show that I care" :lol: )

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bigbigtruck posted:

Holy poo poo, I love "Your Universe". Great sound all over, and I just love geeky things that can fly under the radar ("I took your arm to show that I care" :lol: )

Yeah, the song's pretty nice. Wonder who made it?

quote:

Your Universe by Marcus Carline with Rachel St. Marseille (voice), Steve Blum (piano), Nicole Sequeira (bass), and Eric Hagstrom (drums)

Wait what

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Armadillos! posted:

I imagine the money from album sales just all goes to Huss of Lips, Inc and then from there is paid out to individuals at a later date, unless they just get some kind of flat fee for music or something.

If this is how it's done, it wouldn't cause a problem with the ripped-off track thing.

If payment is handled the way it has been for stuff like art prints, which I presume it would be, then the thief won't have been paid yet.

I still can't get over the fact that his friend is claiming it was an innocent miscommunication and that it was a "remix". And that there's some folks on tumblr who for some reason have decided they agree it sounds different.

Courtesy of flatluigi:

I mean come on.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Nate RFB posted:

Was the Indigo Archer thing as huge a kick in the balls as I'd imagine it was? Especially after all the legal stuff you had to take care of beforehand. Like did it cause a huge headache for the redistribution of money and such? Even though it was only up there fore a matter of hours before it was caught.

I guess I just hope it wasn't as stressful as I'm afraid it turned out to be, because the fan album idea was really neat.

The legal stuff, as far as I know, was just contracts that needed to be signed and sent back. The delay was, I imagine, mostly just waiting on everyone to sign them and mail them back. I don't think it had to do with making sure they weren't plagiarised or anything. So the problem in that regard was mostly sending one extra contract to one extra person and waiting for it to come back.

I mean the whole thing must have been embarrassing and frustrating, but from a technical point of view I don't think it was too troublesome. At least, I hope not. I don't want this one idiot to spoil the whole thing, because it was a really neat thing to do and we got an amazing album out of it (also, thank you Radiation for all the work you put into judging and producing the album. It's really great!)

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

As long as we're being unambiguous about it, yes, the legal issues involved the contracts, and had nothing to do with the content of the songs.

The Indigo Archer / Purple Tyrant thing was a big "oh poo poo" moment at first. It's been my first time really dealing with a significant issue on behalf of the company, and saying the guy "should have been embarrassed" without having a complete dialogue with him was a bad move on my part. Even if the tracks were plagiarized. We haven't come to a consensus on what to do with the money. Probably just give it to whoever does the replacement tracks (assuming those actually happen....)

Since Paul Taylor (actual composer of the tracks) seems to be amicable about the whole thing, can't really feel bad about it now.

Also no problem. I'm really good at other people making music. ;P

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Live and learn, I guess.

Are you planning to pull replacements from the submissions that didn't make the cut this time, or will there be a second, smaller call for submissions just for those two slots?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They took the essence of happiness itself and put it into Olive Rogue. That song had me with the biggest grin from start to finish.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OmegaZultan posted:

They took the essence of happiness itself and put it into Olive Rogue. That song had me with the biggest grin from start to finish.

I was just starting to listen to this song for the first time when I read this post, and you are SO CORRECT. Time to groove the gently caress out for another 4 minutes 57 seconds :unsmith:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Radiation posted:

Probably just give it to whoever does the replacement tracks (assuming those actually happen....)

Were there no applicable runners up for those characters?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Does anyone know what language the singing in Iron Heretic Infidel is?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 3, 2012

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

OmegaZultan posted:

I have to say, that track also had the best fanart of the album :3:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Finished the Album, I liked a lot of it. Olive Rogue is the best one by far though and I hope there`s more from those artists in the future.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I want replacement tracks. Feels thematically strange with two ancestors missing. :(

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, it's too bad someone had to ruin it. :smith:

Ah well. Looking forward to the B-sides regardless.

Mazerunner posted:

Does anyone know what language the singing in Iron Heretic is?

Not a real language, it's the author's idea of "Old Trollish".

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
The backmasked interstitial tracks Radiation put in are making me want more music for Lord English. I'm sure someone on the music team got some inspiration from LE's recent appearances.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Tollymain posted:

Oh man, I have that version. Uh, where's it stolen from?

Cathedral of the End wasn't stolen, but another song (Endless Heart) by the same person was. He had downloaded a midi of some video game song for remixing practice, promptly forgot about it, then found it a year later or something and thought "Hey, this could make a good Homestuck track! :downs:"

His other songs were original as far as anyone could tell, but he still got removed from the team to be on the safe side. He was a good sport about it, unlike a certain other disgraced musician, so one of his non-plagiarized songs stuck around in the comic for about a year before getting replaced by Derse Dreamers.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Kind of a bummer for that guy that what sounds like an innocent mistake got him booted from the music team. Good on him for being understanding about it though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Yeah, it's too bad someone had to ruin it. :smith:

Ah well. Looking forward to the B-sides regardless.

Not a real language, it's the author's idea of "Old Trollish".

Ah, I thought something might be up when they used 'bloo' as a word.

Although I got to say I'm not really a fan of the vocal tracks. It's a shame because the singers are clearly talented and the tracks themselves are good, I just really prefer the non-vocal soundtrack feel. They just feel jarring when put with the rest.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Ah, I thought something might be up when they used 'bloo' as a word.

Although I got to say I'm not really a fan of the vocal tracks. It's a shame because the singers are clearly talented and the tracks themselves are good, I just really prefer the non-vocal soundtrack feel. They just feel jarring when put with the rest.

The words have a real Old English feel to them. Helps that you can recognize deed as virtue's linguistic ancestor, and bear as carry's.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Homestuck is over until 4/13.

Everyone get out.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Some Strange Flea posted:

Homestuck is over until 4/13.

Everyone get out.

Welp, another thing to wait for to compound upon the others. How is my frayed psyche supposed to deal with this leisure drought?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Well to be fair it's only a week next Friday. I can wait that long.

I think.

Can I? Shall I start shipping characters now or give it another day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Oh come on it's only ten days.

...We're going to be making shipping matrices over Pesterchum while roleplaying our fantrolls by day two, aren't we?