Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Looks much more like a film trailer to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Hoops posted:

Looks much more like a film trailer to me.

It does, I'm not sure if you're saying that's a good or a bad thing?

I guess the whole thing with Daniels' character throwing a tantrum on stage will be a storyline for the first couple of episodes. After that they'll use the newsroom setting to wax on about the political issues of the day, as Sorkin likes to do. Which I'm all for by the way.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

It does, I'm not sure if you're saying that's a good or a bad thing?

I guess the whole thing with Daniels' character throwing a tantrum on stage will be a storyline for the first couple of episodes. After that they'll use the newsroom setting to wax on about the political issues of the day, as Sorkin likes to do. Which I'm all for by the way.

It's basically Studio 60, with how that first episode started, in a more appropriate setting for his political waxing...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I basically worship the ground Sorkin walks on, so I'm super excited that this is actually happening. I guess June 24 is the premeire?

I'm hoping he can cut loose a bit since it's on HBO. I feel like West Wing and Studio 60 he had to hold back sometimes.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

FISHMANPET posted:

I basically worship the ground Sorkin walks on, so I'm super excited that this is actually happening. I guess June 24 is the premeire?

I'm hoping he can cut loose a bit since it's on HBO. I feel like West Wing and Studio 60 he had to hold back sometimes.

Yep, June 24, and I agree completely with everything else there.

I mostly lurk TV IV but I'm super excited about this show... when do threads typically appear for a new show? I imagine two and half months out is a bit premature, but I'd be happy to start putting together an OP.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Help I am being seized by the throes of Sorkin fanboy-ism. This show is going to be a fun experience to watch and I am honestly quite excited. I've been working on an OP for this, I am just not sure how early it would be acceptable to post a thread for a show that isn't out yet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Newsroom 1x04: To protest a management decision a news anchor interrupts the live broadcast to start singing Gilbert & Sullivan tunes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We can probably just talk about it here until there's something more than a short trailer, since without more on the show we're just talking about Sorkin.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

FISHMANPET posted:

We can probably just talk about it here until there's something more than a short trailer, since without more on the show we're just talking about Sorkin.

Looking forward to every single rightwing blog, radio show, website and voter tears when this thing gets going.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
This may have come up earlier in the thread, but i did a quick skim and couldn't find it, soooo....

What are good introductory episodes? A colleague of mine is telling me how much he liked Borgens politics, but not the personal drama, so I want to introduce him to West Wing.
Is it better to just dive in with the pilot, or are there some easily accessible S1 episodes that can really blow his mind?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

shelper posted:

This may have come up earlier in the thread, but i did a quick skim and couldn't find it, soooo....

What are good introductory episodes? A colleague of mine is telling me how much he liked Borgens politics, but not the personal drama, so I want to introduce him to West Wing.
Is it better to just dive in with the pilot, or are there some easily accessible S1 episodes that can really blow his mind?

The pilot is the best place to start. In Excelsis Deo is also a really popular episode from the first season. NBC re-ran that one a lot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The problem is that every episode has at least minor spoilers for episodes that came before, even if you skip the "previously on" intro. The pilot's probably the best for introducing the characters, but The Crackpots and These Women, Mr. Willis of Ohio, and Celestial Navigation are all good.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Definitely start at the pilot. Season 1 seems really preachy to my eyes now (and has a really odd colour palette), but the pilot definitely makes an impact and gives you the show's "flavour". Everyone I've lent the DVDs to has burned through the first season in days. The West Wing is a relatively good example of a show that isn't a slow burner but still has great payoffs for story arcs. Most episodes are enjoyable on their own, but become more enjoyable once you're watching them in order.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Joementum posted:

Newsroom 1x04: To protest a management decision a news anchor interrupts the live broadcast to start singing Gilbert & Sullivan tunes.

:master:

Sorkin really does have an obsession.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Wait for Joshua Malina to show up at some point too. I can never tell if he's a really great actor or a really limited one.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Joementum posted:

Its from Penzance...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

njbeachbum posted:

Its from Penzance...

No, it's the one about honor.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

DominoDancing posted:

I guess the whole thing with Daniels' character throwing a tantrum on stage will be a storyline for the first couple of episodes.

It's fairly eyebrow-raising how similar the trailer's setup is to the Studio 60 pilot but I'll give Sorkin the benefit of the doubt for now. I hope he's making a donation to Chayefsky's estate or something.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Joementum posted:

I really love that episode. Sam coming to Ainsley's defense warms my heart every time even if it's a little cheesy.

"You're fired. S Seaborn." drat.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Joementum posted:

They're all about honor.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Every time this thread gets bumped I get sucked back into watching the series.

So needless to say, I'm in the middle of season six. :argh: Thanks a lot, Mr. Bond (who posted on Mar 16) :argh:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

TheBigBad posted:

They're all about honor.

I'm sorry, but were you the recording secretary of the Gilbert and Sullivan Society at university?

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

I'm sorry, but were you the recording secretary of the Gilbert and Sullivan Society at university?

No but then again I am not a woman.

(By the way, they are all about DUTY not honor)

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Junior G-man posted:

I once played the Stage Manager in a production of Our Town. :colbert:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

njbeachbum posted:

No but then again I am not a woman.

Drinks with little umbrellas sticking out of them, I'm supposed to be having right now.

All scenes including white house counsel are awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oliver Babish is better than Lionel Tribbey. He's got a big hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Vl0ORBaE

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm really curious what the 3rd Amendment implications were in the bill Babish is referencing in that clip. Not often that Congress treats into that territory.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm really curious what the 3rd Amendment implications were in the bill Babish is referencing in that clip. Not often that Congress treats into that territory.

Every time I see that episode I wonder that too. The 3rd so rarely comes up.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

njbeachbum posted:

Not just that, but it's a weird grouping.

No quartering troops, right to a trial by jury, and state sovereign immunity?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I did enjoy randomly selecting an episode and having it predict the *spins wheel* Arab Spring!

I can't wait for the new sets of prophesies from Sorkin this summer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

njbeachbum posted:

I'm at work and can't check the clip, but the only time I've ever seen the third amendment really used is as support for the right to privacy, since you can read the amendment as "my house, government get the gently caress out unless you're invited".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mu Zeta posted:

Oliver Babish is better than Lionel Tribbey. He's got a big hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Vl0ORBaE

I loved Tribbey, but this is one of my all time favorite West Wing moments. Thanks for posting it.

Joementum posted:

A friend of mine who is a lawyer jokes that Law & Order always goes into 1st, 2nd, and 5th amendment cases, and all he really wants is a episode focusing on the 3rd. "Let's get Jack McCoy arguing against the quartering of troops!" And now it'll never happen.

"It was a tentpole!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

thrawn527 posted:

"Let's get Jack McCoy arguing against the quartering of troops!" And now it'll never happen.

Never say never! Maybe Sorkin will focus an episode of Newsroom on this.

Newsroom 1x05: A Network executive (Sam Waterston) is forced to let the National Guard spend the night in the studio during a terrorist incident, but makes a passionate multi-paragraph monologue on air against it.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

enuma elish posted:

Not just that, but it's a weird grouping.

No quartering troops, right to a trial by jury, and state sovereign immunity?

I always figured that it was to do with the seizure of property or land for creating a larger military base, or something along those lines.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I take it as an all purpose right to privacy amendment. The government doesn't have the right to unlawfully watch me.

It turns out that the 3rd amendment only applies to a populace who isn't fat and content, but there you go.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
I don't think any line in any television story has stuck with me so much as Leo McGarry saying: This guy's walkin' down a street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, "Hey you! Can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole, and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole; can you help me out?" The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. "Hey, Joe, it's me. Can ya help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are ya stupid? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.

It worked on so many levels. His character being addicted to alcohol and pills, and him personally being a former alcoholic. It was just so on-the-nose perfect that it stuck with me from the first time I watched and heard it till now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Joementum posted:

Never say never! Maybe Sorkin will focus an episode of Newsroom on this.

Newsroom 1x05: A Network executive (Sam Waterston) is forced to let the National Guard spend the night in the studio during a terrorist incident, but makes a passionate multi-paragraph monologue on air against it.

Ha! For some reason I failed to make the connection with Newsroom. Thank you.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

James R posted:

I don't think any line in any television story has stuck with me so much as Leo McGarry saying: This guy's walkin' down a street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, "Hey you! Can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole, and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole; can you help me out?" The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. "Hey, Joe, it's me. Can ya help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are ya stupid? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.

It worked on so many levels. His character being addicted to alcohol and pills, and him personally being a former alcoholic. It was just so on-the-nose perfect that it stuck with me from the first time I watched and heard it till now.

This is a perfect example of Sorkin taking something that should be annoyingly cheesy and just making it work. Reading that now sounds sappy and shallow as hell, but you're right, seeing it on screen, with the delivery from John Spencer, is pretty great.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
John Spencer could have acted the phone book. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'm bumping this (although nearly not as much as I thought) because I've ran through some of the later episodes recently. I always understood the criticisms of the show post-Sorkin, but I also tacked it up a bit to the show being creatively bankrupt. And, hell, Jonathan Wells West Wing is still better than 95% of television programming ever produced.

That said, the more I've watched seasons 5-7, the more I've questioned the writing. For example RE: Zoe's kidnapping — the premise I don't have a problem with so much as the subplots that emerged as a result of it. Especially Abby being pissed at Bartlet because of ordering the Abdual Shareef assassination — THAT seems like an awfully big stretch for the sake of creating interpersonal drama. Granted, she was upset because her daughter had been kidnapped, but blaming your husband, the most powerful man in the known universe, for something he did a year prior ... I don't know, it seems clumsy to me.

• Locked thread