Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm guessing based on her EX move damage and constantly recharging SP bar that Elizabeth is intended to be the Robo-Ky or Hakumen of this game.
Ummm pretty sure that's only boss Elizabeth that has all that, the samples show she doesn't have SP regen or retarded damage as an actual playable character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

Ummm pretty sure that's only boss Elizabeth that has all that, the samples show she doesn't have SP regen or retarded damage as an actual playable character

No, she always has that. Look at the end of Gameplay Sample 2, her SP bar starts filling up incrementally (right before the debug mode kicks in and sets her SP back up to max). Pretty sure this was confirmed elsewhere too but I'll double check later to make sure I'm not crazy.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

No, she always has that. Look at the end of Gameplay Sample 2, her SP bar starts filling up incrementally (right before the debug mode kicks in and sets her SP back up to max). Pretty sure this was confirmed elsewhere too but I'll double check later to make sure I'm not crazy.
Boss Elizabeth has a thing over her meter that says SP UP to say she's regenerating it all the time. Any previous impressions were SOLELY based on her boss form and those two clips are the only thing we've ever seen of her non-boss form. If playable Elizabeth DOES generate meter for free for some reason it's not nearly as dramatic as her boss version based on watching 3 meter ticks in like 2 seconds.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
She was generating meter fairly rapidly in the second gameplay example, although obviously not as fast as boss mode, but seeing as it wasn't happening in the first example I think it might be Awakening only or something.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Eeevil posted:

She was generating meter fairly rapidly in the second gameplay example, although obviously not as fast as boss mode, but seeing as it wasn't happening in the first example I think it might be Awakening only or something.

Yeah I remember in BB you start generating meter automatically when your health falls below a certain point, maybe she has the same thing?

Troffen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eeevil posted:

Yeah that's seems like a pretty likely answer. It could also be that awakening mode activation super is specifically responsible.

However, there's a period after using SB or Super moves where your meter gain is greatly diminished, it's like 4-5 seconds long. That might have something to do with what we're seeing, depending on how the regen behaves along with this mechanic...

In any case, the regen rate is still pretty fast, looks like about 3-4 SP per second. That's potentially a LOT of bar, depending on if it stays active when she's getting hit and doing combos and all that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, when I first saw that super that drained her life down to Awakening, I thought it was the dumbest thing, but in thinking about it, it could be really good, assuming you can stay alive long enough to let the blue health regenerate. You'll get both the defense and meter buffs, and all your life back, assuming you don't get wrecked after the activation.

Goddamn, this loving game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

Boss Elizabeth has a thing over her meter that says SP UP to say she's regenerating it all the time. Any previous impressions were SOLELY based on her boss form and those two clips are the only thing we've ever seen of her non-boss form. If playable Elizabeth DOES generate meter for free for some reason it's not nearly as dramatic as her boss version based on watching 3 meter ticks in like 2 seconds.

Okay here's where I got a little confused, playable Liz USED to have the SP-Up icon shown on screen: http://andriasang.com/con0ev/p4_arena_screens/

But I guess they removed the icon entirely? It's kind of unnecessary so that wouldn't surprise me.

S-Alpha posted:

You know, when I first saw that super that drained her life down to Awakening, I thought it was the dumbest thing, but in thinking about it, it could be really good, assuming you can stay alive long enough to let the blue health regenerate. You'll get both the defense and meter buffs, and all your life back, assuming you don't get wrecked after the activation.

Goddamn, this loving game.

Also consider as I mentioned, it has almost no total time. So you could land a Fatal Counter, go into the super, combo after it for a full ~10 seconds, during which your blue life regenerates and so does your SP.

I think Concentrate's meter recharge on use is probably based on how much blue life you give yourself as well, since that would make sense with the whole "swap HP for SP" thing they were talking about.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

- What is her 3D? Is it just the far ranged version of her 2D?
- How do you manually detonate her Maragi? Do you hold->release or do you input->press button?
- Can you OMC her Maragi to give it less recovery?
- If you use Fire Break and then EX Agi, do both fireballs become unblockable? Stagger the release of them so you can actually tell, ie do 236A+{B}, }B{
- Is Agidyne effected by Fire Break, and if so, does she have any solid blockstrings into it? Maybe just 2C Agidyne?

-Yes!
-I'm pretty sure manual detonate is only for Agi! At least, I couldn't figure out a way to manually detonate.
-Yes.
-I tried to test this but it was too hard to set up! I'll need to wait til I go to the arcade with a friend for a test.
-Yeah it's affected. The most common thing I see though is string into Unblox Agi XX Agidyne. Hard to tell what was a true blockstring since Agidyne was unblockable but I seemed to be able to do 5C or 2C xx Agidyne without getting DPed.

Note about losing blue life for Liz, blue life recovers REALLY slow in this game, you aren't likely to get much back before you get tagged and lose it all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Spiking posted:

-Yes!
-I'm pretty sure manual detonate is only for Agi! At least, I couldn't figure out a way to manually detonate.
-Yes.
-I tried to test this but it was too hard to set up! I'll need to wait til I go to the arcade with a friend for a test.
-Yeah it's affected. The most common thing I see though is string into Unblox Agi XX Agidyne. Hard to tell what was a true blockstring since Agidyne was unblockable but I seemed to be able to do 5C or 2C xx Agidyne without getting DPed.

I'm almost certain there's a way to manually detonate Maragi, I've seen people detonate the slow one close to themselves, or let it roll the whole way across the screen, and it wasn't related to where the other player was. Maybe there's something else to it? I really don't know, can't find anyone who does know.

Actually about OMCing Maragi, is that only on hit? Or can you cancel the startup regardless? I was wondering, because Maragi hits low, about the possibility of doing Maragi OMC -> IAD j.A for a ghetto unblockable.

Edit: Here's one example of what I mean, watch how she detonates it way in front of Teddie? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAY-eQHWSA#t=6m28s

quote:

Note about losing blue life for Liz, blue life recovers REALLY slow in this game, you aren't likely to get much back before you get tagged and lose it all.

That's very true, but do note that the timer for recovering life is not effected by super flash or hit pause or anything. Also, you have to consider that life you are earning back is worth more than normal, since you are now under the Awakening damage scaling.

In some cases you could get a net life increase, since you only have to recovery 62.5% of the life you lost to at least break even.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 3, 2012

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

It also has utility if the other person (un)intentionally drops a combo right before you hit awakening, you can force yourself into it so they can't just do another combo to kill you before you hit it normally.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Persona 4: The Ultimate in Santonaka Arena."

God help me if this becomes a running joke.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really do hope Chie stays very good. I'm planning on maining her.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I'm want to main Mitsuru, Yu and Elizabeth myself.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm looking at Kanji, Labrys, and maybe Elizabeth. There may be a theme involved here.

Also, after watching streams of this for too long, Chie has started to fill me with an inexplicable rage. I think it might have to do with the hailstorm of pain.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Choosing a main character in a fighting game without having played it never works out, especially in Arcsys fighters. The systems and gimmicks are pretty pronounced so something that sounds like your playstyle might not actually match the way you play.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Choosing a main character in a fighting game without having played it never works out, especially in Arcsys fighters. The systems and gimmicks are pretty pronounced so something that sounds like your playstyle might not actually match the way you play.

I am trying to restrict myself since after playing persona 3 and 4 I would love to play them all.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

So true, I remember getting so hyped for original BB and then settling on a character I hadn't even considered before because his playstyle just matched me so well when I finally got around to trying him. The vids make everyone looks very good, i can't wait to get a chance and actually try them out and see which ones actually work for me.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
eff that, gonna rock overly shaded yu and beat up all the waifus

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

True, but if you know your playstyle you can kinda guess. I play Axl in GG, so right now I figure I'll adapt best to Naoto or Mitsuru (she's got to have an Axl color scheme for a reason, right?).

Of course, I play Ragna in BB so I guess it's not really an accurate guess.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RedBoot posted:

True, but if you know your playstyle you can kinda guess. I play Axl in GG, so right now I figure I'll adapt best to Naoto or Mitsuru (she's got to have an Axl color scheme for a reason, right?).

Yeah, and with Kanji being Tager with Mobility, it's pretty easy for me to tell that I'm gonna like him. Decent enough knowledge of character traits goes a bit further in this game than most, what with the extremely simplified basic mechanics that the game sports.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Just so my curiosity wanes, what ArcSys archetype is this game missing at this point? Is there a type of character that this game doesn't cover? I know Shadow Labrys' well, Shadow, Yosuke's Ninja, such like that... But is there anything else not covered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmAZl0Ndo9k

And of course Elizabeth's IK is 999 Megidolaon.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Yet another arcsys game without slayer in it

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Just so my curiosity wanes, what ArcSys archetype is this game missing at this point? Is there a type of character that this game doesn't cover? I know Shadow Labrys' well, Shadow, Yosuke's Ninja, such like that... But is there anything else not covered?

Hm, let's see... We've got shoto, grappler, speedy dude, lame chick(s), ranged physical character, kung-fu lady, boxer man, oversized weapon character, trap character, random item user, copycat character (Elizabeth), and an 'unusual' character (S. Labrys). I dunno, I can't think of much else that's missing. Labrys and Akihiko both have elements of the Order Sol charge level thing, so that's kinda covered.

I dunno, I can't think of anything. All that's left is to get hype for the console release and pray it happens quickly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

We're missing any sort of overly complicated ranged projectile user, ala Venom or Mu.

Really the only big question is when Marie is going to show up. I'm assuming probably console only because they don't want her in the fighting game before she's out in the RPG.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

RedBoot posted:

And I play Sol in GG, and Jin in BB, and I have no idea who I'm going to play in P4U. I actually tried to play Ragna when I first started to play BB, and it didn't click at all. He played somewhat like Sol, so I expected to love him, but I ended up loving Jin so much more.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 3, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

thetrin posted:

And I play Axl in GG, and Jin in BB, and I have no idea who I'm going to play in P4U.

Mitsuru has both freezing attacks and chain-pull moves so there you go!

I'm leaning towards Yukiko or one version of Labrys right now but I really have no idea, half the cast looks fun to play. Shadow Labrys looks way cooler than the regular one, but her voice is HORRIBLE.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Mitsuru has both freezing attacks and chain-pull moves so there you go!

I'm leaning towards Yukiko or one version of Labrys right now but I really have no idea, half the cast looks fun to play. Shadow Labrys looks way cooler than the regular one, but her voice is HORRIBLE.

Sorry, typo. I meant I play Sol and Jin. I expected Ragna to be a no-brainer for me in BB because of Sol, and I ended up with Jin. I'm always interested in how that stuff works out.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...Because different game are different. I didn't pick up Slayer until Accent Core when I pretty much only played Testament in Slash. Blazblue is a totally different game from GG, so its no surprise that you picked up a character that is not like Sol because BB's Ragna is nothing like Sol in my opinion outside of the notion of rushdown.

Anyway I'm not sure why an Axl player would play Naoto either. Naoto is pretty much zone all day at a level Axl never seeme capable of? Also all his big damage came off Bomber Loop which you needed to be close to land.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Random question because I couldn't answer it myself with five minutes on Dustloop--it looks like this Yukiko does her IK on reaction to Kanji pulling out his Persona and gets the full animation when Kanji blocks it but his Persona in the back gets hit. I don't know what the speed/hitbox/invul are like on most IKs but doesn't that make Persona attacks a huge liability if the other character can IK? Or is it only a problem against Yukiko because she a Ky-like IK?

E: I'm also assuming that the hit breaking the Persona isn't necessary for this but what do I know

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

We're missing any sort of overly complicated ranged projectile user, ala Venom or Mu.

Really the only big question is when Marie is going to show up. I'm assuming probably console only because they don't want her in the fighting game before she's out in the RPG.

I dunno, I think that kinda describes Yukiko/Aigis. Certainly, Aigis is considered more of an effort character than most, which is more or less why she gets played a lot less than others. But that's more or less hearsay from people who play the game in arcades.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I don't see why Yukiko wouldn't be a "complicated ranged projectile" user. She's got traps, a ground projectile, and a MvC Mega Man-esque button just for throwing projectiles. She's definitely my favorite character so far, along with Kanji.

Edit: And she may not have the ability to make bank shots or whatever but being able to toss an enemy from one trap to another by TAP charging both of them combined with the two-on-one aspect of using her Persona on offense lets her be complicated in a different way.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I guess Yukiko sort of fits that bill. I think of her more as a bizarro Anji/Eddie thing though, with lots of unblockable setups and button holding tricks and things like that. Not so many elaborate setups where you put 3 things on the screen in specific places with the intent to use them all for a combo/mixup/setup later on. But I guess that's just splitting hairs anyway.

Aigis definitely doesn't though, she's basically the equivalent of I-No, hyper-rushdown oriented with some really solid projectiles backing up her game.

Mio Bison posted:

Random question because I couldn't answer it myself with five minutes on Dustloop--it looks like this Yukiko does her IK on reaction to Kanji pulling out his Persona and gets the full animation when Kanji blocks it but his Persona in the back gets hit. I don't know what the speed/hitbox/invul are like on most IKs but doesn't that make Persona attacks a huge liability if the other character can IK? Or is it only a problem against Yukiko because she a Ky-like IK?

E: I'm also assuming that the hit breaking the Persona isn't necessary for this but what do I know

Yukiko doesn't do her IK on reaction to the Persona call, the startup is like ~2 seconds long, and she had already started it before he called his Persona. Kanji didn't block the IK at all, he just got hit with it. I don't know the hit properties on that IK, I'm assuming it's blockable on the ground but air unblockable, which is why Yukiko tried to do it there. Kanji was probably either in recovery or just pushed a button instead of blocking/rolling past it.

Hitting someone on the Persona doesn't count as an actual hit so it wouldn't get you an IK if that's all you connected with.

And yeah the hit breaking the Persona was unrelated.

Most IKs are really slow and not that useful, but they also tend to be really, really invincible. I've seen Mitsuru use her's on reaction to a super flash to beat out a super before though, so they have some very situational use.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The real ArcSys stereotype we're missing is RoboKy.

I loved his Gas Meter/Power Overload/Whatever mechanic and am sad it's never appeared in anything ever again.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

From jiyunaJP on Twitter:

"Elizabeth has permanent SP regain status. Even when she's getting hit. 100SP in 30 game seconds. Her movement is sluggish. Her autocombo doesn't end with super, instead she does EX moves that take meter. Her 5D is a grab that puts them in fear. Her R Action is a grab with super armor. Does no damage?, but random status effect. 2D is unblockable poison swamp on the ground. 236A/B= EM Disruptor (Ziodyne), 236C/D = Controllable Tornado ride (Garudyne), 214A/B= Slash into Freeze (Bufudyne), 214C/D= front/back fire pillar (Agidyne). Her jC is really fast attack that knockdowns. If its overhead then its like Baiken Yozansen. Her Astral is a counter. Her heal move hahah. Wow. 214214A in awakening, heals like 20% really quickly. Can be stopped if hit. 214214C in Awakening is command grab with fear. Does 3000. The HP super just takes her down to Awakening. 236236C is instant kill, but seems worthless. Disappears on hit/block, and doesn't activate for like 10 seconds. She has a lot of ways to put opponent in Fear status, I wonder how big her FC combos will be. Her B+D does no damage but is pretty good. Fear is a status effect that makes every hit/throw you take FC. Naoto, Elizabeth, Teddy can inflict it. Don't know her health total, but it's very low. She's also pretty slow, but her A+C dodge is faster and further than others."

I'll edit this post as he tweets, unless y'all just wanna follow him instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LVQYVonKo

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 5, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah she has only 7500 health, so she has the lowest life in the game by a decent chunk.

Diarama looks ridiculous. Concentrate -> Diarama, it's free and puts you into Awakening Mode and will be really easy to get a net increase in total life remaining. I guess this will greatly help to offset her otherwise extremely low life total.

Can't wait to see people start to put her together. Sadly I still don't think I've seen a single good Labrys player. :/

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Oh man, Elizabeth's music is Battle for Everyone's Souls. This game keeps getting better and better.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah she has only 7500 health, so she has the lowest life in the game by a decent chunk.

Diarama looks ridiculous. Concentrate -> Diarama, it's free and puts you into Awakening Mode and will be really easy to get a net increase in total life remaining. I guess this will greatly help to offset her otherwise extremely low life total.

Can't wait to see people start to put her together. Sadly I still don't think I've seen a single good Labrys player. :/

I played Liz a lot today heres my scrub thoughts and stuff.

Her health sounds low but actually it's comically low. After you eat a combo or even before you might as well go into awakened mode so you can use her supers and heal move etc. In this game Chie will just land a 5k combo on you and goodnight. For real her health is low. That being said she's cool as gently caress.
I don't think she's gonna end up being bad. I'm tempted to switch to her because she's more interesting than Kanji. She is V slow. But good roll with long range, also her DP is above average. I wish it did damage though at least a little. As it is it's a mixed bag because if you get like confuse effect BOOYA or even better paralyze but if you get charm?? Useless. But, it sets them to fullscreen, which is good.

Her normals are not Good exactly but not bad. Her AA cr.B feels totally average and it should give a combo but I couldn't figure out what to do. A and air A are hmm definitely just average. B and air B are super cool and pokey like a sim limb but since this is airdash land ground B can be punished. Air B I hope someone finds a good combo from because it was really easy to land if you did it falling.

Her persona attacks are so cool and interesting. She can do fakeouts and mixup from like fullscreen in the right situation, since her persona D is a grab. You can do like C C grab or C C cr.C or C C xx beam or any other special. cr. D makes a weird swamp and I'm not sure of the effect but it has slow startup so I didn't use it much because I was fighting Chie so I had to be worried about Run Up B into dead from my hilariously low life. I'm wondering if she can do C C and then grab super. I think she might have some deadly good combos but I can't say for sure.

Her heal is fast but still not really safe unless you've confused them or something. Even then it's not really safe unless they are actually confused by confuse.

I think unless she ends up with some truly deadly combos she's gonna be dead water. Too smart of a character for this game of Dp DP grab roll FATAL COUNTER 6k combo!!!

She has some combos that freeze. I'm wondering tonight if people can get grabbed out of freeze... what if she can do combo for like 2k into freeze into 6k grab?? sounds good!

Also Labrys totally sucks she doesn't have any mixup and other chars have more retarded super armor. All her overheads are too reactionable and I'd rather play the better normal character. I'm sorry!!!!!!! I guess she has combo off of grab RC i think. But I don't know why you'd play her in this game with more fun and way stronger characters.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spiking posted:

Bad Labrys and Elizabeth news

*Sigh* Of course. :negative:

It never fails, any character I show interest in ends up being awful. Well, maybe there'll be a way to be scrubbily effective with Elizabeth and Labrys. That sucks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Liz is still too new. I think if she has a 5k combo or something she'll be good. Or good resets. Her mixup is pretty good though so I think she's gonna end up better than Labrys.

• Locked thread