Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just realized something. If the rumor about the HTC One X on Sprint are true, it's going to be called the HTc EVO One. That means that every major new phone on Sprint for 3 years run has been called EVO and has had a lower number than the previous year.

EVO 4G
EVO 3D
EVO One

The galaxy S and SII were major new phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Yikes, is that out of contract price accurate at $800? I'm still out of my upgrade for another year.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Obviously, it's stupid to freak out over rumors 1 day before the official announcement, but this article is saying that they're replacing the excellent screen with an AMOLED, which would suck.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Several phone news sites have reported that Sam's Club is getting the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22. No word is that is the same day that Sprint will sell it or not.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Obviously, it's stupid to freak out over rumors 1 day before the official announcement, but this article is saying that they're replacing the excellent screen with an AMOLED, which would suck.

There's a review out of the HTC One X that states "tapered edges of the Gorilla Glass front of the phone that protects its 720 x 1280 pixel Super LCD2 display."

I'll trust an in-hands review over a news post citing a source relaying information from their source.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint does not replace that.

I broke the outerglass over the camera. The camera works but I'm worried about damaging the actual lens. Is there a cheap way to fix/replace this?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MrCodeDude posted:

I'll trust an in-hands review over a news post citing a source relaying information from their source.
No one disputes that the international One X features an SLCD display. The claim is that the Evo One may be deviating from the international model here (which it already does on SoC, mind you) to feature an AMOLED screen. As far as I know, there's no hands-on review of the Evo One to confirm or otherwise.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

rock2much posted:

I broke the outerglass over the camera. The camera works but I'm worried about damaging the actual lens. Is there a cheap way to fix/replace this?
I had to replace mine back when I had the 4G...it's pretty cheap and simple: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HTC-EVO-4G-A9292-CAMERA-LENS-HOLDER-STICKERS-NEW-/150782002179?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item231b4ec403

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Several phone news sites have reported that Sam's Club is getting the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22. No word is that is the same day that Sprint will sell it or not.

I haven't gotten word on my EMD yet, but the rumors and signs are pointing to that date.

rock2much posted:

As the other guy said, it's cheap and easy, it falls into the "Duckman can even repair it." go to a sprint store, usually they would harvest Aaron camera from a Evo in the back.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 4, 2012

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Grumpwagon posted:

I think I'd actually prefer AMOLED. I know that the colors aren't quite as accurate as SLCD2 but I still really love the over-saturated colors regardless.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

tomguycot posted:

I think I'd actually prefer AMOLED. I know that the colors aren't quite as accurate as SLCD2 but I still really love the over-saturated colors regardless.

As a whole, I'd probably prefer the average AMOLED over the average SLCD2, but in this case, we know the SLCD2 on the international One X is exceptional, and we don't know whether the (rumored) replacement is pentile, or what it's quality is. Again, at this point, I'm not going to believe anything until the announcement, but I'd rather have a known excellent screen than a shot in the dark.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

I had to replace mine back when I had the 4G...it's pretty cheap and simple: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HTC-EVO-4G-A9292-CAMERA-LENS-HOLDER-STICKERS-NEW-/150782002179?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item231b4ec403

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't gotten word on my EMD yet, but the rumors and signs are pointing to that date.

As the other guy said, it's cheap and easy, it falls into the "Duckman can even repair it." go to a sprint store, usually they would harvest Aaron camera from a Evo in the back.

Sorry guys, I'm stupid. It's an Epic 4G that I busted, not an EVO.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rock2much posted:

Sorry guys, I'm stupid. It's an Epic 4G that I busted, not an EVO.

Just go and break the rest of it, you'll feel better.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So If I'm switching to Sprint at the end of April, I should still probably get the Galaxy Nexus and not this New HTC device right? (I've only ever used and prefer to use 'GoogleExperience' devices like the G1 and G2).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheReverend posted:

So If I'm switching to Sprint at the end of April, I should still probably get the Galaxy Nexus and not this New HTC device right?
Given that we only have rumors of the device's specs, and what we can extrapolate from the international model, it's hard to answer that question. But we expect at least a few things:
  • The Galaxy Nexus and Evo One are the same or comparable in specs in most departments.
  • Galaxy Nexus will run stock Android, have top-notch community support, and is more likely (or at least on par) with getting official updates.
  • The One X ships with a 1800 mAh non-removable battery, the GNex with a 1750 mAh removable battery with extended battery options available. Presumably the Evo One follows the One X here.
Personally I'd go for the Galaxy Nexus. The only real reason to go with the Evo One, if those specs hold, is for aesthetics. Granted, the S4 (Evo One) might get better LTE battery life than the Omap (GNex), but not sufficiently better to put up with a non-removable, intolerably small battery.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Given that we only have rumors of the device's specs, and what we can extrapolate from the international model, it's hard to answer that question. But we expect at least a few things:
  • The Galaxy Nexus and Evo One are the same or comparable in specs in most departments.
  • Galaxy Nexus will run stock Android, have top-notch community support, and is more likely (or at least on par) with getting official updates.
  • The One X ships with a 1800 mAh non-removable battery, the GNex with a 1750 mAh removable battery with extended battery options available. Presumably the Evo One follows the One X here.
Personally I'd go for the Galaxy Nexus. The only real reason to go with the Evo One, if those specs hold, is for aesthetics. Granted, the S4 (Evo One) might get better LTE battery life than the Omap (GNex), but not sufficiently better to put up with a non-removable, intolerably small battery.

The battery thing really isn't a big deal. 1800mAh is hardly intolerably small. The Evo shipped with a 1500mAh battery, and I've never had to touch it.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

I checked the op for information, but I'm curious about buying out the rest of my contract (about 6 months). My evo 4g has a spider webbed screen, and a charger port that requires me to wrap the cord around it several times to keep it plugged in.
With the new phones coming out I'm looking to get into one cheaply as possible.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Can you do EPRP through a Sprint store? I'm planning on waiting till the end of the month to get the Galaxy Nexus. My current phone is limping through till then and I'd rather get it day one that have to wait for shipping.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

jisforjosh posted:

Can you do EPRP through a Sprint store? I'm planning on waiting till the end of the month to get the Galaxy Nexus. My current phone is limping through till then and I'd rather get it day one that have to wait for shipping.

No, but they will ship it via UPS overnight saver. I actually ordered mine on saturday and got it monday somehow.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Goldmund posted:

The battery thing really isn't a big deal. 1800mAh is hardly intolerably small. The Evo shipped with a 1500mAh battery, and I've never had to touch it.
Always-on LTE is a battery drain. Now, the S4 with integrated LTE should be less of a battery drain, but we'll see how that works out.

In any event, sub-2000 mAh non-removable batteries on Android, particularly LTE devices, is a complaint among the review community. Even if it's large enough to maintain par battery life with existing devices, there are a number of folks who, today, can't make it through the day on a single charge and thus do battery swaps with some frequency.

Personally, I want to see 2000+ mAh batteries become common. The question shouldn't really be "can I make it through a day?" but "how many days can I go on a single charge?" or, perhaps alternatively, "can I even kill this thing within a day?" lovely battery life can be remedied by better power management which Android devices, after years, are still woefully bad at. Turns it out it can also be remedied by bigger batteries without necessarily making the phones lol huge (see RAZR MAXX).

In any event, it's worthy to point out the battery situation on recent HTC devices to folks for whom it might be a problem. Admittedly many folks will get by just fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, how do you do a battery pull reset on a phone with a fixed battery?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Usually a combination of "well that should never happen!" along with a key combo that promises to reboot.

Generally speaking the onus is on manufacturers to ensure proper use of hardware watchdogs and even to integrate a hardware key-combo-activated reset circuit.

These aren't HTC's first phones with non-removable batteries. (XE is?) So hopefully they've figured that much out by now.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cock Democracy posted:

No, but they will ship it via UPS overnight saver. I actually ordered mine on saturday and got it monday somehow.

Awesome, still no ETA on when they'll be up for preorder is there?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I assume it'll be similar to doing a power cycle on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (which also has a non-removable battery) - if its hung to where nothing on the screen responds, holding the power button for like 10 seconds will cause a full reboot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fist posted:

I checked the op for information, but I'm curious about buying out the rest of my contract (about 6 months). My evo 4g has a spider webbed screen, and a charger port that requires me to wrap the cord around it several times to keep it plugged in.
With the new phones coming out I'm looking to get into one cheaply as possible.

Call retentions and they can do it. I highly recommend waiting until the Galaxy Nexus launches.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call retentions and they can do it. I highly recommend waiting until the Galaxy Nexus launches.
Absolutely. Do you know the ratio they apply? 5$/month?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wasn't the Sprint/HTC announcement supposed to happen today?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
It just started :)

Edit: They named the phone 'HTC EVO 4G LTE', good work there! They also made it ugly as hell in my opinion, might be getting the nexus instead.

poxin fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 4, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

HD calling option seems pretty classy though. That may be worth the cost of admission for me and my wife.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Doesn't sound too bad. I'm not a huge fan of the non-removable battery, but 2000 mAh is definitely a step in the right direction. Also, a lot of folks will be happy that it includes a micro-SD slot, unlike the One models.

"HD Voice"? That'll be interesting.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
That is the ugliest phone I've seen in my life. With that said though the deal breaker for me will be the screen. I'm having trouble finding out if it's a SLCD2 like the other models or AMOLED like the rumors indicated. After seeing a few friends with SGSIIs and Galaxy Nexuses there is no way I'm buying a phone without an AMOLED display. Those things are way too good looking and being that the screen is the most important aspect of a phone (to me) the screen type is absolutely a deal breaker. It'll be a shame if it's SLCD2 since I really like the kickstand and removable storage (won't miss sense though).

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

tomguycot posted:

That is the ugliest phone I've seen in my life. With that said though the deal breaker for me will be the screen. I'm having trouble finding out if it's a SLCD2 like the other models or AMOLED like the rumors indicated. After seeing a few friends with SGSIIs and Galaxy Nexuses there is no way I'm buying a phone without an AMOLED display. Those things are way too good looking and being that the screen is the most important aspect of a phone (to me) the screen type is absolutely a deal breaker. It'll be a shame if it's SLCD2 since I really like the kickstand and removable storage (won't miss sense though).

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

Spec sheet indicates its a SLCD2. Apparently the SLCDs in the HTC One line look better than any AMOLEDs, so this is a good thing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Spec wise a nice phone, and some of the changes they did from the HTC One is nice, but that is one ugly phone. It is amazing that Sprint has not been able to capture the momentum they had with OG EVO. It was the lasted phone from Sprint that excited me outside of the iPhone. Also Sprint needs to get Nexus phones on launch. This 4 to 6 months later is bullshit. If the iPhone can be releases on all carriers at the same time no excuse for the Bexus.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Well, I got my fifth (5th!) refurbished EVO 3d today, in the lovely new plum purple, and guess what happened? It crashed twice on my drive home. Completely stock, no apps installed yet or anything. It's not looking good for number 5.

Sprint must be outsourcing their repairs to crackheads who approve a phone as soon as it boots. This is just awful.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think I'll be getting the E4GLTE come November when my update is up. I'm excited and I think the phone looks great.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Sole Survivor posted:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/htc-evo-4g-lte-fact-sheet.htm

Spec sheet indicates its a SLCD2. Apparently the SLCDs in the HTC One line look better than any AMOLEDs, so this is a good thing.

That is encouraging to hear. I'll definitely have to play around with some display units (my upgrade is in June so the timing is pretty good here) but after seeing the display on the SGSII and Galaxy Nexus the bar is pretty high.

And, Bigpolar, that really sucks on the Evo 3D. I picked one up after my Evo 4G got stolen last year and I haven't had any sort of problems with it. Though I'm pretty sure I'd end up strangling someone if they tried to stick me with a purple one after that many duds. That's just insult to injury.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Wow, that really does look good. Like an idiot, I've been sitting on an upgrade for 16 months, but instead of getting an iPhone for resale now, I guess I'll just upgrade from my EVO 4G to this new LTE version. Bitchin'. I also really like that they kept the external SD card, even if they went with that dumb fixed battery route.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's great cause I almost decided on getting the next iPhone or whatever.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Well, that phone is ugly as hell, but 2000ma battery and that SLCD2 screen (and a surprise microSD card slot), count me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-evo-4g-lte

For anyone wondering how there's a removable microSD card but no removable battery, here's why. Only the top part of the back cover is removable.