Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Just one page ago.

Ah poo poo. :smith: Well, someone should at least post yours or mine to the OP so that people won't ask about it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

czg posted:

I hope you guys like custom Quake levels because I just made a few.
Go download from here.
Huge-rear end screenshot here.
This map breaks a lot of limits, so please use a limit-breaking engine. If you're not sure which one, I can heartily recommend FitzQuake.

This looks like it owns, going to download.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I think I'm going to reinstall Quake and play those. Neat!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

czg posted:

I hope you guys like custom Quake levels because I just made a few.
Go download from here.
Huge-rear end screenshot here.
This map breaks a lot of limits, so please use a limit-breaking engine. If you're not sure which one, I can heartily recommend FitzQuake.

I'm partway through the second map now actually. Verra nice. I got interrupted by a Steam friend calling me out to do some QW duels, but I'll get back to it. :)

I think even more than with Doom, third-party mappers have really distilled out and improved the essentials of fun Quake-ish gameplay. Probably the modern hardware that allows much bigger spaces and more enemies doesn't hurt... anyway, this czg-ism is another good example of that trend IMO. It's not (at least not yet?) a barrage of hundreds of attackers like some other recent releases, but I am fine with a bit more restraint in the encounter design.

I did come across a bit of weirdness once the fights got serious in the second map (using FitzQuake), where my mouse clicks were either not registering or getting "stuck on", but saving/quitting/reloading fixed that.

Quake SP fans should check it out. Have a look at that screenshot collection above if you're dubious, or also here's one I took: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshot/596966336536464067?tab=public It's not the pure classic super-contrasty and moody Quake look, but it has a good atmosphere of spelunking around in monumental-scale subterranean ruins.

Edit: Hey, one more random comment. Enabling the axe-gibbing of downed zombies is a great idea; it makes for some fun variety in fighting them before and after getting explosive weapons (or running out of rocket ammo). I'm pretty sure this isn't the first map/mod I've seen that in, but thumbs up on that FWIW.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 1, 2012

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! :)

Chaddicus
Apr 1, 2012

Ex libris.
This is an amazing post. I started gaming back on a 486 and with DOOM. So many good memories. I haven't heard of some of these games and will be sure to check them out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jblade posted:

Trying grabbing the 1.07 patch here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dczd4gqigcqlz13

I already have the patch, although given the complete lack of instructions I'm not sure I installed it right - just unpack everything to the AMC directory?

quote:

What character are you playing as? If you could show me a screenshot as well that'd help since I haven't come across this bug before. There is no long status bar like the Old Duke one that shows all weapons and ammo at once, but the HUDs should definitly show what inventory item you have ready. Some HUDs don't show keys which was a mistake (but there is a PDU you can use to check all of your items and keys)

I'm playing as Agent Stanfield. Here is a screenshot. Turns out that item display is working (I just didn't have an item ready). Note that I took that screenshot at the instant I was picking up a weapon and ammo; that stuff at the top of the screen appears for less than a second and then vanishes again. Ideally, I'd like that to display all the time.

It also seems to forget my keybinds every time I exit, which is a pain in the dick.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

What's the point of the gently caress Yourself call in brutal Doom other than drawing enemies out?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Reason? In MY Doom mod?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RandolphCarter posted:

What's the point of the gently caress Yourself call in brutal Doom other than drawing enemies out?

Wait, it can lure enemies? I just use it to taunt enemies as they sit their screaming and bleeding and crawling around after a shotgun blast removes their arm/lower torso/disembowels them.

Then I kick their heads off or curb stomp them.

Hmmm, maybe those 90s soccer moms were right about Doom... :ohdear:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha yeah same here, I just used it to tell enemies to gently caress themselves.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I don't really like the direction Brutal Doom has been taking lately. It seems like they're running out of things to do that can be considered straight upgrades and are starting to make changes just for the sake of making changes. Like the new shotgun sprite that looks way too similar to the assault rifle; does that really need to be there? The new imp sounds (which are from Doom 3 by the way) I can take or leave, but the possessed zombie chatter is really obnoxious and doesn't belong in Doom at all. This is all stuff that is very much up to personal taste, which would be fine if it was in smaller mods that people could download if they wanted them, but I don't think it belongs in what I and probably many other people consider to be the "flagship" Doom mod.

closeted republican posted:

Ah poo poo. :smith: Well, someone should at least post yours or mine to the OP so that people won't ask about it in the future.
Don't feel too bad. Yours is a better implementation than his because it works with any version of Brutal Doom and doesn't need to be updated when new ones come out. I'd say it definitely merits a link in the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lork posted:

I don't really like the direction Brutal Doom has been taking lately. It seems like they're running out of things to do that can be considered straight upgrades and are starting to make changes just for the sake of making changes. Like the new shotgun sprite that looks way too similar to the assault rifle; does that really need to be there? The new imp sounds (which are from Doom 3 by the way) I can take or leave, but the possessed zombie chatter is really obnoxious and doesn't belong in Doom at all. This is all stuff that is very much up to personal taste, which would be fine if it was in smaller mods that people could download if they wanted them, but I don't think it belongs in what I and probably many other people consider to be the "flagship" Doom mod.

I've been following its development in the ZDoom Projects forum (which is ironic considering all of the test releases are intended for Skulltag and the Skulltag thread for Brutal Doom is slow as poo poo.) Judging from the amount of negative feedback some of the changes are receiving, I have a pretty good feeling that they're going to redact a lot of the new audio changes.

I don't mind the shotgun changes, but I've complained about the assault rifle aesthetics in the past. It's blurry and the black furniture washes out a lot of the detail, resulting in a nondescript black triangle at the bottom of your screen. I think it's especially ugly when compared to the other weapons. I'd prefer something like this or this, at least for the sake of contrast. If I knew how to do the replacements, myself, I'd be all over it.

I'd agree with you, though: It definitely feels like Brutal Doom is beginning to roam into "feature-creep" territory. I'd rather see the author move on to making the mod compatible with a lot of the Realm667 bestiary than changing the "gently caress Yourself" taunt or the Plasma Rifle sprite for the umpteenth time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lork posted:

Don't feel too bad. Yours is a better implementation than his because it works with any version of Brutal Doom and doesn't need to be updated when new ones come out. I'd say it definitely merits a link in the OP.

I didn't request to be in the OP because it was a just a small patch (like Dominic White's, wich fixed the sound of the candles on GZDoom version) for the current one. I changed the voice clip for myself but just shared it for others, same as closeted republican.

Also about how Brutal Doom is changing, i consider (execpt the mentioned voice), everything going better with each version. The chaingun being one the one that improved vastly in 0.15 with its secondary fire allowing to move. Shotgun's sprite has better animation and looks really nice with the heat shield like Duke Nukem 3D's.

On the Assault rifle subject I agree. Doom weapons being in the center of the screen it looks plain ugly and they could use something more like a G36K.

All of this can sound a little :spergin: but there is nice imput in this thread about this mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guillermus posted:

Also about how Brutal Doom is changing, i consider (execpt the mentioned voice), everything going better with each version. The chaingun being one the one that improved vastly in 0.15 with its secondary fire allowing to move.

Really, the minigun has finally found a useful alternate fire. Having to remain motionless in the older alternate mode was very un-Doom-like, and made it difficult to use even at the best of times. The new mode is great: A ridiculous RPM that will empty your ammo supply in surprisingly little time and somewhat increased recoil. You can't help but realize that you're wasting significantly more ammo on every target, but it feels so good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lork posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. I understand the feeling of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". On the other hand, one of the things that makes Brutal Doom so awesome is that it came in and 'fixed' something that most people would agree wasn't broken to begin with. The problem with changing the audio is that it's such a big part of the Doom experience even if you don't realize it. When you do anything in Doom a sound effect plays that you've heard a million times, such as a door opening or the Pinky idle sound. I guess it kinda subconsciously reminds you that you're playing Doom. If all the sound effects were suddenly different, it would be very jarring I think. I've been trying to think of a better way to describe it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It seems like most of the new changes are there just for the sake of being different. What drew people to Brutal Doom was that it was basically a more gory and intense Doom and that's it. It seems to me that the developers got the wrong impression from what people wanted and have starting changing everything because that's what they think people want. I don't think anyone was upset about things like the Doomguy sounding like Danny Glover when he flipped people off instead of a XTREME AND HARDCORE 90S COMIC BOOK CHARACTER. At this point, I won't be surprised if every enemy is redrawn at one point just because it's new.

Honestly, one of the best things to do would be to just either slow down or focus on adding something else, like Realm667 enemy support, like someone mentioned earlier. We don't need another goddamn new Plasma Gun sprite or the Assault Rifle being remade again.

quote:

I feel pretty much the same way. I understand the feeling of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". On the other hand, one of the things that makes Brutal Doom so awesome is that it came in and 'fixed' something that most people would agree wasn't broken to begin with. The problem with changing the audio is that it's such a big part of the Doom experience even if you don't realize it. When you do anything in Doom a sound effect plays that you've heard a million times, such as a door opening or the Pinky idle sound. I guess it kinda subconsciously reminds you that you're playing Doom. If all the sound effects were suddenly different, it would be very jarring I think. I've been trying to think of a better way to describe it.

Exactly, After you've played Doom for a while, the sounds are really important for figuring out what's going on. If you hear Reverent screams in the background, you know to take out a heavier-duty weapon instead of the Pump Shotgun you were using to kill 3 or so imps. Adding Doom 3 sounds disrupts that part of gameplay all because the author wanted to add something new to the mod.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 2, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The reason I have a problem with the new zombie sounds and the shotgun sprite specifically is that they both negatively impact the gameplay. The assault rifle and shotgun look so similar at a glance that I've actually mistaken one for the other in the heat of battle on multiple occasions. The zombie sounds are so loud and omnipresent that they drown out all the other sounds, including the important sound cues that closeted republican mentioned.

Conversely, I don't care one way or the other about the imp sounds, because they're still distinct from all the other sounds in the game, so if you hear them you can tell that there's an imp nearby. I'd question whether anybody was asking for them to be changed, but at least they don't hurt the game by their inclusion.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I just found a copy of Descent 3 + Mercenary for $1.99 at a 7-11 :pwn:

Edit:

:neckbeard:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

I just found a copy of Descent 3 + Mercenary for $1.99 at a 7-11 :pwn:

I never did find a copy of Mercenaries, but I've played through the base game twice. It was pretty good, although the original Descent is still my favorite.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord
You found that at a 7-11? What the hell?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just found my CDs for Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Allied Assault, AvP, and a bunch of other old poo poo.

But more importantly I found a CD of DOOM II Explosion which promises "Over 2000 new levels, cheats, programs(?) and sound files." So, uh, should I rip this bad boy and put it up somewhere for y'all? I know I've had it laying around forever but I don't think I ever even used it back in the day. And this was an actual sold-in-store thing, not that the fact guarantees quality but that's half the fun. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

I just found my CDs for Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior, Allied Assault, AvP, and a bunch of other old poo poo.

But more importantly I found a CD of DOOM II Explosion which promises "Over 2000 new levels, cheats, programs(?) and sound files." So, uh, should I rip this bad boy and put it up somewhere for y'all? I know I've had it laying around forever but I don't think I ever even used it back in the day. And this was an actual sold-in-store thing, not that the fact guarantees quality but that's half the fun. :v:

Oh no! That's :filez:! The proprietor that sold DOOM II Explosion may still look for royalties! :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

Heck yeah you should upload it! Most of the files on it would be legal for distribution at any rate, worse comes to worse you have to delete whatever special launcher they included.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Just upload it, I guarantee you everything on that disc was ripped from newsgroups and FTPs anyway.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

RyokoTK posted:

Oh no! That's :filez:! The proprietor that sold DOOM II Explosion may still look for royalties! :v:

If RED HOT wants to come after me those Krauts can eat my American rear end. How the hell did I end up with this thing anyway.

Install Gentoo posted:

Heck yeah you should upload it! Most of the files on it would be legal for distribution at any rate, worse comes to worse you have to delete whatever special launcher they included.

No launcher, it's literally just a CD full of files. :xd:

So while that's uploading I have a special bonus treat for ya. Hot off a demo disk from Computer Gaming World's June 1997 issue here's a "CWG Exclusive Quake Level by Richard 'Levelord' Gray!" Let me know how it is, all my computer stuff is kind of a mess right now and I don't have anything installed.

code:
	***	CGW's Custom Deathmatch Level		   ***
	***		by the Levelord			   ***

Welcome!! This is a diabolical brainspawn of the Levelord, with additional
twisted input from the CGW editors. The level has several gruesome
features, most notably severable/regenerating limbs. You'll notice the
level is laced with megahealths. A few minutes in a deathmatch will
quickly reveal why they're there. 

Not only can you blow a player's arm off, in which case they can't 
fire a weapon or pick up weapons, and can't pick up ammunition, 
but you can also take off their leg, leaving them hobbling, awaiting 
the coup de grace. If you happen to lose a limb (or two), make a 
beeline for the nearest megahealth to restore your lost member(s). 
If you've lost both a leg and an arm, each megahealth will
restore only one limb, so you'll need two.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Run the INSTALL.BAT file from the CD-ROM (in this directory), or
to install manually, create a sub-directory off of C:\QUAKE like
CGW (i.e. C:\QUAKE\CGW) and copy the contents into that directory on
your hard-drive. Then to bring up this game, type the following:

QUAKE -GAME CGW

If you're running Quake from within a DOS box, we suggest adding this
line to the above to get more memory (and better performance):

-WINMEM 16

where 16 is the amount of RAM you're giving Quake. If you've only got
16MB, then skip this line, and let Quake take its usual 8MB.

You can also play the level single-player and deep-six the usually cast
of villains, but this one's a lot more fun multiplayer, so have at it.

To map the level as a listen server from a DOS prompt, enter the
following:

CGWLSTN

Or to play single-player, type CGWSING at a DOS prompt

After getting into Quake using the -GAME CGW switch, you can go to the level
by simply typing

MAP HIPSIDE

at the Quake command prompt.

Our special thanks to the Levelord for producing a smokin' level on very
short notice, and to Vengence and Jaymz of The Lone Gunmen Quake Clan
down-under in Australia for the sick-and-twisted severed limb patch,
and of course to id Software for creating the macabre playground we
call Quake.

Enjoy, and let the fragging begin!!

Clan CGW
e: wait i just read that top part about blowing peoples' arms off in Deathmatch. you could mod Quake like that on a per-map basis?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 4, 2012

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Yodzilla posted:

e: wait i just read that top part about blowing peoples' arms off in Deathmatch. you could mod Quake like that on a per-map basis?

Presumably there's an included QuakeC code mod.

I remember a limb-severing mod that we ran on our Quake server for a while back in the day, so it might even just be that same mod bundled in.

Edit: This be it, and it does indeed sound like the same mod:

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/quakec/deathmatch/player.txt
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/quakec/deathmatch/player.zip

JLaw fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 4, 2012

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I've been trying to play through Cold as Hell, god drat the second level is brutal.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

^^ hey that's pretty cool.

And here's :siren: DOOM 2 EXPLOSION :siren: ready for consumption! I'll start poking around myself tomorrow but given that there's over 500 megs of Doom 2 stuff in there they weren't kidding about how much crap they crammed onto that disk.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Free Chicken posted:

You found that at a 7-11? What the hell?
It was in the $10 or less DVD rack. I flipped past a couple cardboard sleeves of public domain movies to find Descent 3 bundled with the expansion. When I took it to the front and the guy scanned it, it didn't give a valid item entry so he shrugged and said "Is two dollars okay?"

I bought it on the spot and walked out, totally forgetting about the soda I was there to purchase.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That info file is awesome Yod, I used to be internet buddies with Jaymz from TLG wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyy back in the day. That's kind of awesome seeing his name again. :3:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I already have the patch, although given the complete lack of instructions I'm not sure I installed it right - just unpack everything to the AMC directory?
Yeah, my bad for not giving instructions. I'll update the wiki with some.

quote:

I'm playing as Agent Stanfield. Here is a screenshot. Turns out that item display is working (I just didn't have an item ready). Note that I took that screenshot at the instant I was picking up a weapon and ammo; that stuff at the top of the screen appears for less than a second and then vanishes again. Ideally, I'd like that to display all the time.

It also seems to forget my keybinds every time I exit, which is a pain in the dick.
The keybinds thing sounds annoying, but that's more an Eduke32 issue than one with the AMC TC. The bar is supposed to disappear like Half-life's weapon bar, but I'll add in an option to make it stay onscreen in the next patch I'm working on since I imagine there's other people who'd also like it onscreen at all times as well.

EDIT: You could actually edit that in right now, if you open the file 'AMCGAME.CON' with a txt editor and look for this line:
code:
actor APLAYER MAXPLAYERHEALTH 0 0 0
and add this under it:
code:
setvar WEAP_SHOW 30
It'll force the bar to always be on. It won't work on a saved game though since Duke saves the code files into the save file itself, so any changes won't affect it.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 4, 2012

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
What do people consider to be the 'best few wads' for Doom at this point? Also, what's the consensus on Final Doom, is Plutonia as great as people say it is?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love the poo poo out of Plutonia, but drat is it hard! It'll really change your opinion of Revenants and Chaingunners from "minor annoyance" to "seething hatred."

TNT Evilution is utterly mediocre though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jblade posted:

Yeah, my bad for not giving instructions. I'll update the wiki with some.

The keybinds thing sounds annoying, but that's more an Eduke32 issue than one with the AMC TC. The bar is supposed to disappear like Half-life's weapon bar, but I'll add in an option to make it stay onscreen in the next patch I'm working on since I imagine there's other people who'd also like it onscreen at all times as well.

EDIT: You could actually edit that in right now, if you open the file 'AMCGAME.CON' with a txt editor and look for this line:
code:
actor APLAYER MAXPLAYERHEALTH 0 0 0
and add this under it:
code:
setvar WEAP_SHOW 30
It'll force the bar to always be on. It won't work on a saved game though since Duke saves the code files into the save file itself, so any changes won't affect it.

Sweet, thank you. I'm only a few levels in, I don't mind restarting.

E: also, while I have you here, two typo reports -
Research computer: "Personel" should be "Personnel"
New Game menu: "precludes" should be "precedes", or possibly the sentence should be restructured.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 4, 2012

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
FYI folks: Quake mapper (and probably also-otherwise-accomplished guy) DaZ has a YouTube channel where he plays through 3rd-party maps for various games, and also talks about mappy stuff at times:

http://www.youtube.com/user/darrenweekes/videos

If you're not familiar with what Quake SP maps are like these days, there's some neat things to see in his back catalog of videos. Actually you should trust that pretty much any Quake map he's recorded is worth playing, and go try it yourself. (Particularly czg's recent map... play that before watching much video of it.)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

maev posted:

What do people consider to be the 'best few wads' for Doom at this point? Also, what's the consensus on Final Doom, is Plutonia as great as people say it is?

Requiem!

I don't like Plutonia, the levels are ugly and it's frustratingly difficult for me. TNT was okay.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I love the poo poo out of Plutonia, but drat is it hard! It'll really change your opinion of Revenants and Chaingunners from "minor annoyance" to "seething hatred."

TNT Evilution is utterly mediocre though.

If you think Plutonia is bad, wait until you try Hell Revealed. HR in UV is one "oh gently caress" moment one after another once you get past the levels 1-11. Once you've got a decent grasp of Doom's mechanics, it's pretty fun. You need to be good at starting enemy in-fights, know how enemies behave, and have good dodging skills and it is doable. I've got a UV HR run that's almost done, and it's been the most intense fun I've had in Doom for a while.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

If you think Plutonia is bad, wait until you try Hell Revealed. HR in UV is one "oh gently caress" moment one after another once you get past the levels 1-11. Once you've got a decent grasp of Doom's mechanics, it's pretty fun. You need to be good at starting enemy in-fights, know how enemies behave, and have good dodging skills and it is doable. I've got a UV HR run that's almost done, and it's been the most intense fun I've had in Doom for a while.

I've beaten HR and HR2 on UV in coop. But I hate playing that kind of stuff SP. I know how to do all the things you mention but I don't play Doom to prove my e-manhood, I just want to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

I've beaten HR and HR2 on UV in coop. But I hate playing that kind of stuff SP. I know how to do all the things you mention but I don't play Doom to prove my e-manhood, I just want to have fun.

I actually played UV HR1 in SP for fun. :v: