Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

A big flaming stink posted:

So, quick question. Since Tavros said that he killed Jade's Grandpa when she was just an infant, how the hell does Jade's dream robot get built? Is this just a continuity error or did it get lumped into the rest of "who the hell raised jade" questions.

Given that we see Grandpa puttering about in the game, I suspect he's not really all that dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a lot of timeline confusion involving Grandpa that still has to be sorted out. It's clear at one point that he did end up in the session while the kids were there, only to return to earth prior to the release of Sburb, bringing a taxidermied dream Jade corpse with him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Given that we see Grandpa puttering about in the game, I suspect he's not really all that dead.

The narrator said explicitly that Grandpa's timeline went like this:

- Landed in the home of Colonel Sassacre and the Batterwitch.
- Shot the Colonel with dual flintlocks.
- Raised, along with John's Nanna, by the Batterwitch.
- Ran off with the Colonel's dog to a live of adventure, took the name Harley.
- Became a billionare adventurer, inherited the Betty Crocker company.
- Investigated the destruction of his factory, where he found Jade's meteor.
- Took her back to his private island to raise as his own.
- Entered the medium somehow.
- Wasted time hunting various sburb enemies, stole a battleship, teamed up with Dad and Mom.
- Retrieved DreamJade's corpse, stuffed it.
- Presumably rode a meteor back to Earth, or otherwise somehow got back to Earth.
- Used his sburb-stolen tech to build a tower full of advanced gadgetry on his island. (Presumably built JadeBot at this point, knowing that eventually Jade would need it)
- Died via dual flintlocks fired by Jade / deflected by Bec and Tavros.
- Stuffed and put in place in the foyer.
- Years later, teleported to orbit by Bec, where, presumably, his corpse stayed until the universe was destroyed 413 years later.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

T-ten days? Aaaaa, panic, PANIC.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Bobulus posted:

The narrator said explicitly that Grandpa's timeline went like this:

- Landed in the home of Colonel Sassacre and the Batterwitch.
- Shot the Colonel with dual flintlocks.
- Raised, along with John's Nanna, by the Batterwitch.
- Ran off with the Colonel's dog to a live of adventure, took the name Harley.
- Became a billionare adventurer, inherited the Betty Crocker company.
- Wasted time hunting various sburb enemies, stole a battleship, teamed up with Dad and Mom.
- Retrieved DreamJade's corpse, stuffed it.
- Presumably rode a meteor back to Earth, or otherwise somehow got back to Earth.
- Used his sburb-stolen tech to build a tower full of advanced gadgetry on his island. (Presumably built JadeBot at this point, knowing that eventually Jade would need it)
- Died via dual flintlocks fired by Jade / deflected by Bec and Tavros.
- Stuffed and put in place in the foyer.
- Years later, teleported to orbit by Bec, where, presumably, his corpse stayed until the universe was destroyed 413 years later.

The bolded part is where I get lost. Who stuffed him? Baby Jade?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

He probably stuffed himself as his dieing act. Bec then teleported him to the foyer because he is a good dog, best friend.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

Probably never made explicit because it's gross.

- Baby Jade?
- Pre-hired outside contractors to come in and do the job?
- Fancy sburb-tech machine to do it automatically?
- Stuffed himself?

edit: Which reminds me of one of the more horrific Homestuck fanarts that showed up here at SA, back when it looked like the kids were going to fail: Jade putting the finished touches on stuffed John, Dave, and Rose, then putting a rifle to her face because no one was left to stuff her.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 4, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I read Lovecraft's The Silver Key yesterday, and between (uh spoilers for the story I guess) the stable time loop therein and the Dreamlands I can't help but draw parallels between Homestuck and Lovecraft's work beyond the Horrorterrors. Has Hussie talked about this, or his inspirations in general?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Radio Paranoia posted:

I actually struggle with Iron Knight. I think it's got something to do with the production of the rhythm guitars, but it just cuts through my head and makes it a real chore to listen to.

The rest is great though and I really like the Side A / Side B thing.

I love it, it reminds me of Iron Maiden. I just tried to buy the album, but clicking Paypal opens the paypal login, then closes it back to the normal credit card screen. I'll try after work :/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Personally, I got an Ys vibe out of Iron Knight.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SynthOrange posted:

T-ten days? Aaaaa, panic, PANIC.

Please, we waited two months for Cascade. This is nothing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh man, I only just noticed Eridan is in half on the album cover. Guy can't catch a break :allears:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

YF-23 posted:

I read Lovecraft's The Silver Key yesterday, and between (uh spoilers for the story I guess) the stable time loop therein and the Dreamlands I can't help but draw parallels between Homestuck and Lovecraft's work beyond the Horrorterrors. Has Hussie talked about this, or his inspirations in general?

I've been reading an entire Lovecraft collection ebook, and I thought the same thing when I read Beyond the Wall of Sleep.

Hussie has definitely read through these stories, and I can see why. They're really enjoyable despite the archaic (and at times overwrought) language. At first I thought MSPA's Fluthulhu and the horrorterrors were just a one-off gag referencing the Internet's sensation with the Cthulhu mythos that has developed over the years, but now I think he's genuinely paying homage to the guy's work.

Also, The Green Odyssey ("Gold Pilot?" This song sounds NOTHING like a Psionic song, especially considering it isn't dark at all, so I went with the original title) is just wonderful, probably my favorite on this album, and Temporal Shenanigans has some spectacular singing and lyrics. I don't usually do lyrical music but that one gets to me like Dawn of Man from MTaHK does.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Waffnuffly posted:

Temporal Shenanigans has some spectacular singing
Yes.

quote:

and lyrics.
I dunno, a lot of those rhymes are a bit forced and awkward. Before and for? Sympathize and otherwise, at the end of some already long lines?

I like what they were going for, but it needs more work on the lyrics to really shine.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Temporal Shenanigans is all about the presentation. The lyrics are iffy at times, but her singling + the music more than make up for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The lyrics are amateurish as gently caress, but unlike most amateur songs it can make the stilted lyrics work in its favor (spirographs line is still dumb though.)

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

OK clearly I don't know anything about lyrics; I guess that's only natural since the vast vast vast majority of all the music I listen to is instrumental! But still, the singing and music is great.

[Edit] Yeah, now when I pay more attention to the words, they do seem kinda clunky, but the quality of the sound is so good I can forgive that. This is one reason why I usually listen to instrumental music anyway; if I like the sound of something but the lyrics are incredibly bad, it takes away from the overall effect. Fortunately this song's lyrics aren't bad so much as just awkward at times.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Yes.
I dunno, a lot of those rhymes are a bit forced and awkward. Before and for? Sympathize and otherwise, at the end of some already long lines?

I like what they were going for, but it needs more work on the lyrics to really shine.

I liked Sympathize and Otherwise, but spirograph/intact and permit/this... just no.

It's a shame, because "I can see the endings that the realms will not permit" is a nice line, it just doesn't fit.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is it just me or are bits of Indigo Heir quite reminisent of Marble Zone?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably need to listen to the album a few more times, but for now I think my favorites are:

Gold Pilot
Violet Mariner
Fuchsia Ruler
Olive Rogue
Purple Bard
Violet Prince
Fuchsia Witch
Temporal Shenanigans

They're all pretty good though!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Can someone please tell me what Sonic Adventure level music Sunslammer reminds me of? It's driving me crazy :argh:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of that sounds even remotely similar would be Speed Highway. At least the beginning maybe?

e: I like how 3 people gave 3 completely different responses as "the only thing that could be similar."

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 5, 2012

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kazy posted:

Can someone please tell me what Sonic Adventure level music Sunslammer reminds me of? It's driving me crazy :argh:

Crank the heat up, maybe?
this bit in particular sounds similar, but I don't have much of an ear for these things.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kazy posted:

Maybe this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJB83PBaQE

It's all I can think of that sounds anything Sunslammer.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Well Manicured Man posted:

YES!!! I feel all tingly inside now that it's finally here!

Guess who wrote Rust Servant, Teal Hunter, and Violet Mariner :)

Little late on this, but congrats man! You're not perfect, but you definitely punch out good stuff, and quite a few really great pieces. Getting three songs featured is pretty awesome. Hope you keep it up for awhile to come, songs like Rust Servant are what the bandcamp needs more of. Cheers!

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Bobulus posted:

Wait a minute :crossarms:

I think you have the order here wrong. Do you really think he would abandon an infant to go off on adventure? I always assumed he adopted her after he somehow returned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking of music and waiting for an update, I am excited for the possibility that Friday will involve the introduction of the first of four new planet themes. John has Doctor, Rose has Endless Climb, Dave has Atomyk Ebonpyre, and Jade has Courser; so now Jane may have something new (as opposed to, one hopes, yet another Doctor remix).

I like the planet themes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Starmaker posted:

Wait a minute :crossarms:

I think you have the order here wrong. Do you really think he would abandon an infant to go off on adventure? I always assumed he adopted her after he somehow returned.

Grandpa got shot by the Jade, Tavros and Bec tagteam when Jade was very young so it's not like Grandpa was actually there to raise her for long. Also he could have easily used on of Skaia's defence gates to come back in a timely manner to look after Jade.

Jake Harley, a guy who goes hunting in the medium every day and uses a carefully choses gate to come back in time for tea.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Kinda sad I missed the music contest, I wonder if he'll hold another down the line.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Kazy posted:

http://vimeo.com/34970843

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

You call them slammers when you're extra angry at... elements?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I never knew there was a merchandise-driven cartoon for pogs. Amazing.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of music and waiting for an update, I am excited for the possibility that Friday will involve the introduction of the first of four new planet themes. John has Doctor, Rose has Endless Climb, Dave has Atomyk Ebonpyre, and Jade has Courser; so now Jane may have something new (as opposed to, one hopes, yet another Doctor remix).

I like the planet themes.
Frost was Jade's LOFAF theme. Courser is a Bec song. Both are amazing.

Hey Radiation, perhaps a good way to make sure there isn't any plagiarism with the next album would be to release it without the option of downloading it and, once the internet's listened to it for a bit (an hour or so seems all that's necessary), then make it available to purchase.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Haha, it's funny how an hour is probably more than enough time for Homestuck's fanbase to pore over an entire album and determine if any songs are plagiarized.

I also can't stop listening to Superego, Purple Bard, Indigo Heir, and Teal Hunter. This album is so, so drat good.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roger Explosion posted:

Frost was Jade's LOFAF theme. Courser is a Bec song. Both are amazing.

Hey Radiation, perhaps a good way to make sure there isn't any plagiarism with the next album would be to release it without the option of downloading it and, once the internet's listened to it for a bit (an hour or so seems all that's necessary), then make it available to purchase.

There's no such thing as releasing a song and not making it available for download. You can record the sound coming out of your computer as a file, so somebody'd just listen to all the songs, record them as they do so, then package the whole thing for download.

I mean, they can do that now too, and they probably do, just mean to say that "first glance" approach probably wouldn't work. Maybe if you just release thirty second samples of each song...

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm really enjoying Teal Seer. It sounds just the right amount of over-the-top for Terezi.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

There's no such thing as releasing a song and not making it available for download. You can record the sound coming out of your computer as a file, so somebody'd just listen to all the songs, record them as they do so, then package the whole thing for download.

I mean, they can do that now too, and they probably do, just mean to say that "first glance" approach probably wouldn't work. Maybe if you just release thirty second samples of each song...

Making things unavailable for purchase in the first flush of their shiny new-ness seems like poor business strategy, too.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm glad people here and on the MSPA forums seem to like Teal Hunter, considering I always thought it was the weakest of my three submissions.

Some Lined Paper
Sep 2, 2011

JOHN: wait a minute!
JOHN: i forgot, trolls hate cleaning products for some alien reason! shit, that's going to make everyone so uncomfortable.
Oh wow, loving the hell out of Rust Maid. Very Banjo-Kazooie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want to like Iron Knight, but it's just too high on the register. Makes my head hurt when I try to listen to it. I wish there was a version that was dropped to a lower key. :(