Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Gembolah posted:

Going to look at a 2001 Legacy GT Limited tomorrow, 50k miles, $5k.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get it if everything looks ok?

Holy moly. Only 50k on an 11 year old car? That's awesome.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Totally TWISTED posted:

Re: Accessories/Upgrades
I did some price comparisons between parts.subaru.com and subarupartswearhouse.com, the latter comes in about 5% cheaper. I haven't looked at shipping prices yet though so possibly that could make a difference.

For what it's worth - Auto-dim mirror upgrade, so glad I got it on my Legacy GT. Now driving a car without one just kills me at night.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Gembolah posted:

Going to look at a 2001 Legacy GT Limited tomorrow, 50k miles, $5k.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get it if everything looks ok?

No. That sounds solid.

The headgaskets probably haven't been touched and thats like a 1300 dollar job, other then that, the SOHC NA motor/driveline combo is a winner.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Unfortunately with my internet searching and with my Dad having a Costco membership I never came across this. Having already put down a deposit on an agreed price I don't think I can change it up now.

Re: Accessories/Upgrades
I did some price comparisons between parts.subaru.com and subarupartswearhouse.com, the latter comes in about 5% cheaper. I haven't looked at shipping prices yet though so possibly that could make a difference.

There might be some way to get your deposit back. Either way, here's the link for anybody purchasing a subaru (besides brz, wrx, sti) from a dealership should check it out.

https://www.costcoauto.com/default.aspx

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

There might be some way to get your deposit back. Either way, here's the link for anybody purchasing a subaru (besides brz, wrx, sti) from a dealership should check it out.

https://www.costcoauto.com/default.aspx
Looking around online I don't think their pricing will beat my $46 over dealer cost price. The $500 would be nice and would bring them closer but when I factor in a non-refundable airplane ticket, the membership price, and the wait time I don't think it will be worth it. I appreciate the link though.

Of note they do have some 15% off parts, services, and accessories program which is worth looking into.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 2, 2013

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Gembolah posted:

I got there and it has 113k miles, significant rust, reeks of smoke and has cigarette burns everywhere. Guess it actually was too good to be true.

Hey at least you were smart enough to walk away instead making excuses that the issues weren't that bad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Falco posted:

Hey at least you were smart enough to walk away instead making excuses that the issues weren't that bad.

Yeah :sweatdrop:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2011 impreza? I am hoping to install one so I can use a bike rack. There seem to be hitches made for this but can't find any real definitive answer about it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Hey Jamal do you remember what width the kognition wing on the AQ car was? After the NASA event in phx last week it's game on for sti track build.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Dread Head posted:

Has anyone installed a hitch on a 2011 impreza? I am hoping to install one so I can use a bike rack. There seem to be hitches made for this but can't find any real definitive answer about it.

For something lightweight like a bike you can put a hitch on anything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dread Head posted:

I've heard that Forester hitches work pretty well. You could also drop a bundle and go to a professional trailer hitch installer (this is what I did, but I tow).

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Dread Head posted:

I don't know the price of getting a hitch installed but you could get a nice roof rack for 450 or so. Only real disadvantage is if you plan on driving long distances with a bike because the mileage would be worse. I think bikes get less rock chips and stuff on the roof though.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Hollis Brown posted:

I don't know the price of getting a hitch installed but you could get a nice roof rack for 450 or so. Only real disadvantage is if you plan on driving long distances with a bike because the mileage would be worse. I think bikes get less rock chips and stuff on the roof though.

Not to mention more road grime. If you have disc brakes or suspension this is more important. However, you do get alot more bug guts with the roof rack. Bug guts on my brake levers/shifters makes me :smith:. I wrap the fork stanchions with a shop towel and piece of duct tape.

Also mileage wise, I can get 24 highway in my STi with one trail bike. We usually take the OBS though, which gets 25-26 with two trail bikes on the roof.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm thinking of selling my RCE GTWORX Bilstein struts/springs for RCE Tarmac 1/2 coilovers, good idea?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Problem with roof racks is it is a pain to life the bike up and down. I am hoping to get something like this as it makes it super easy to get bikes on/off. http://www.thule.com/en-US/CA/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/990XT-Doubletrack

I was planning on installing it myself as it looks pretty simple.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Holdbrooks posted:

Hey Jamal do you remember what width the kognition wing on the AQ car was? After the NASA event in phx last week it's game on for sti track build.

no. but it would have either been the widest one he makes or something custom. bolting on the big wing was the easy part. it took over a year to get enough downforce out of the front end to match.

send me an email if you want to talk about it. peter at functionauto.com

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2012

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

You guys heard about the V12 BRZ?!?!?!

I was just at the local Subaru dealership buying an oil filter and crush washer, so I decided to ask if they had a BRZ on the lot, not really knowing or caring but wanting to check one out in person.

The sales guy proceeds to tell me there is a waiting list for the 250,000 dollar V12 BRZ. But the V6 is pretty good to. I thought he was pulling my leg so I laughed. He didn't think it was funny, so I said, "Its a flat 4 cylinder." To which he replied, "they have one of those but I just built a V12 version on line, I know what I'm talking about." He was grumpy in addition to being retarded. I said, "I don't think so" and laughed (this time at him) and left.

I think that if people that stupid can make enough money to survive then its only a matter of time until I am rich beyond my wildest dreams.

loving moron. I have to continue my rant. In addition to the above, this dealership has:

lied to me when I was considering buying from them
sold me an incorrect crush washer (I was none the wiser till i tried to fit it)
sold me incorrect oil (it was in a box with apparently others mixed. Lesson is to check EVERY quart)
left the oil cap off on an oil change

but never sold me a car.

Don't go to McCurley Integrity Subaru in south east WA unless you are buying parts. And then check them before you leave the store.

I bought mine from Dick Hannah Subaru in Vancouver. Kind of funny, but I was going to buy one off the lot there, but the salesman told me to order one since I was going to be in Japan for another 2 months. Well I ordered everything I wanted and saved the 3500 they were marking the vehicles up to. Is this normal in Washington?! If you buy one on the lot you pay their stock fee?! Anyway I got:

2012 WRX base dark grey
STi Front lip
STi short shift with STi knob
SPT catback
Fog lights

Walked out of there and paid 25,500...I think it was a decent deal...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Install Report from Koni Sale:

When installing Konis, you can just cut the struts off at the gold caps (use it as a guide for the grinder). All that fancy measuring crap doesn't really apply since we don't need to use the provided spacer/adapter piece.

Get a longer (60mm+) bolt (M12x1.5 thread) and some washers and simply suck the strut insert inside the housing. I gave it a quick spray of white lithium grease on the nubs to help it slide into the housing better.

And remember, locktite the bottom bolt! :science:

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Ripped out the mud guard and installed a 3/16" aluminum primitive racing skidplate. Rear diff guard going on tomorrow.

BTW, the front lip spoiler install sucks while on the ground...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nice. Primitive makes good stuff and they actually rally

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a nice Primitive on my '06. I might buy another one if I can ever get a deal on shipping.

e: vvv International shipping is always kind of a bear. I think I paid $40 in duty alone (thanks, UPS) last time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 6, 2012

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I have a nice Primitive on my '06. I might buy another one if I can ever get a deal on shipping.

I ordered 2 front skid plates, 2 rear skidplates, front lightbar and 2 sets of rally armor mudflaps shipped to Dallas for $52. I didn't think it was too bad..

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Primative owns.

My RS has the big front skid and my new one is coming with front and rear skids.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How are oil changes with the skid plate? I've been thinking of picking one up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone able to fill me in on SPT and if you can get those parts fitted via Subaru dealerships from new? Is warranty respected?

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I ordered mine without oil holes due to the extra crap getting in the engine bay. Its only 3 bolts so taking it off isn't too bad. If you want to keep it on, tell Paul you want it with precut holes.

Oh and with the SPT gear, Subaru carries all the SPT gear and can do installations for you. They warranty the products also.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Anyone able to fill me in on SPT and if you can get those parts fitted via Subaru dealerships from new? Is warranty respected?

what spt parts and why? They are mostly meant for old guys who want "performance parts" on their wrx. Not meant for competition (Subaru has group n parts for that). They make a catback exhaust and a couple of brightly painted suspension parts, nothing that is going to effect warranty.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Mine is 5 bolts. The first time it's kind of a pain, but after two on offs you get the rhythm down. It really isn't a big deal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

what spt parts and why? They are mostly meant for old guys who want "performance parts" on their wrx. Not meant for competition (Subaru has group n parts for that). They make a catback exhaust and a couple of brightly painted suspension parts, nothing that is going to effect warranty.
They "made" my gauge pack, though they really just matched the dash lights and put a pink(sorry, cherry blossom red) logo on it.
The good thing about it was the book rate on it is hilariously low, so if you're not self-installing, it almost offsets the markup (it is still awesome and the oil temp gauge works again).

The only other thing spt does that I would even remotely consider is an exhaust. But that is because basically no one makes an LGT wagon exhaust that doesn't look/sound like something an 18 year old would install on his wrx to hear the rumble. But $1000 for basically no performance benefit? Hell no.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Finally got the rear diff guard on. You have to shift the rear diff forward 3/8" while sliding the cover through the bolts that hold the rear diff to the subframe. Pain in the rear end, but its not going anywhere.

Monstertruck fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 8, 2012

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

2011 bought last July. No dents or scratches visible to me anywhere near the rust. Will the dealership be of any help?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

I cant use ANY part that does not have a OEM WRX part number to stay within class. While I've found some amazing things that did have WRX part numbers (Suspension especially), the SPT intake and exhausts will help free up a few KW. And as said, I need WRX OEM part numbers or I cant / wont do it on the red car. If SPT is OEM enough I can get away with a few more things and piss off others who aren't looking like I am :D

Group N is specifically homologated parts for a STI, they can not be used, except where said part was also sold as OEM WRX. Which interestingly enough the engine mounts and gearbox mount was.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Airbone Operation posted:

2011 bought last July. No dents or scratches visible to me anywhere near the rust. Will the dealership be of any help?

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I've got a question that I can't seem to find a definite answer for. My fiancee and I just bought a 2004 Subaru Outback and we absolutely love it. It needs a little bit of work, but the first thing I'm going to do is fit a Fumoto Valve on the oil pan when I change the oil. I know that if I'm doing a regular oil change that I need to replace the crush washer between the pan and the oil drain plug. Should I put a new one in when I install the Fumoto Valve, or does it come with something that makes a good substitute?

EDIT: I'm also having trouble finding a service manual for my car. I can find plenty for 2000-2006 Forester/Legacy, but nothing for my Outback. Help, please!

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 8, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Airbone Operation posted:

Talk to the dealer; this happened during rail transport for a lot of 2008-2011s locally and the dealership has agreed to repair most of them.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The SPT catback is great, but I was never able to find it at a reasonable price. Nobody else really makes something with a modest increase in sound over stock except Maddad (and maybe Cobb?), who's even more expensive.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're talking about the 02-07 catback, that's made by Bosal and rebadged by SPT. I bought mine direct from the manufacturer's eBay account for under $300 shipped a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
If you are just looking for sound you should check out Nameless Performance,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2uBmWtJtQ

https://www.namelessperformance.com