Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faster
Oct 5, 2007

haunted sleep posted:

It's entirely possible to make full songs using nothing but an iPad and an app like NanoStudio (or GarageBand or Tabletop or Meteor, etc). It's just a matter of dealing with certain limitations (like if you want to use a synth like Horizon but are sequencing everything in NanoStudio, be prepared to get well acquainted with AudioCopy and AudioPaste). However, if you've never had experience with desktop music production apps, it will probably be easier for you to get accustomed to iOS music apps.

What kind of music were you planning on creating? For newbies, I tend to recommend NanoStudio or GarageBand.

Thanks this was really helpful. I don't even know what iOS music production is capable of using just the apps and the iPad but I would be interested to mess around with minimal electronic stuff (Mark Bell/Bjork production style).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Faster posted:

Thanks this was really helpful. I don't even know what iOS music production is capable of using just the apps and the iPad but I would be interested to mess around with minimal electronic stuff (Mark Bell/Bjork production style).

It's capable of quite a lot. I think a Gorillaz album was done entirely on the iPad.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is it at all possible to get Amplitube for iPhone to output through the phone's internal speaker?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

juche mane posted:

Is it at all possible to get Amplitube for iPhone to output through the phone's internal speaker?

Why would you want this? :psyduck:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Because my cigarette amp broke.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

It's not possible as far as I can see. If you switch the audio output control (the AirPlay button), it also switches the input, so it doesn't work.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

jakewastaken posted:

It's capable of quite a lot. I think a Gorillaz album was done entirely on the iPad.
Not entirely as they like to say, if you look closely. There were a few external things used.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These tracks were done entirely in nanostudio:

http://nanomaquina.cellmod.net/

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What about like a really good but small and not pain in the butt set of battery powered speaker? I basically just need to be loud enough to hear myself and don't want a zillion cable/ power cordd/etc. It's for a guitars class.

thanks. :)

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

juche mane posted:

What about like a really good but small and not pain in the butt set of battery powered speaker? I basically just need to be loud enough to hear myself and don't want a zillion cable/ power cordd/etc. It's for a guitars class.

thanks. :)

Any cheap computer speaker set should work, or any old mp3 player speakers you might have. I busk like that sometimes. Sometimes itll squeal and feedback for no reason, but I haven't figured out why that happens or what to do about it but there you go.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Just registered my Amplitube 2 and they didn't give the distortion pedal. Now What!

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I apologize up front if I come across as crass, I assure you this is not my intent.

I mostly play/write noisy guitar rock/pop and I'm looking for a "Drummer in a box" type of program. For years I've used loops but I'm looking for something to use/try something else.

Tried looking through the app store but didn't really find anything. Then again I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

DM-1 is a pretty cheap/useable piece of drum machine software. Pretty flexible.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dm1-the-drum-machine/id431573951?mt=8

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'm a funkbox fan. Classic sounds/patterns, variable randomness to the timing, cheap, stable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MoDrum is pretty good, but it's geared more for electronic music.

I use NanoStudio for drums a lot too, mostly because it lets you import samples.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Seconding DM-1, but iMachine is tons of fun too.

Edit: And of course there's GarageBand too, which has some neat semi-automatic drums, besides the regular drum recorder.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 24, 2012

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Air. I want to be able to record guitar and stuff from line in. The Macbook Air does not have a line in. :( There are a few line -> USB adapters out there, but none made by Apple. If apple made one I'd buy it, knowing it'd just work, but third party things don't always play well.

Does anyone know of a good converter unit that works well with all ios music apps, or should I just get a Macbook Pro?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any line to usb adapter is going to show up as a microphone to the os, so I would think that nearly all of them would just work.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
The M-Audio Mobile Pre USB audio interface should work with the CCK (with phantom power switched off though), according to various sources on the web.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how!! posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Air. I want to be able to record guitar and stuff from line in. The Macbook Air does not have a line in. :( There are a few line -> USB adapters out there, but none made by Apple. If apple made one I'd buy it, knowing it'd just work, but third party things don't always play well.

Does anyone know of a good converter unit that works well with all ios music apps, or should I just get a Macbook Pro?

Yeah, like FLX says, you want to get a dedicated audio interface and thanks to the proliferation of Logic, Mac-compatible ones are easy to find.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I'm pretty sure the headphone jack on my macbook can be used as a line in if you wanted to. I'm not sure about the Air though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Apogee Jam is about as close as you will get to an interface made by Apple, this thing works on iPad/iPhone as well as Mac, and it's quite small and discreet so it won't look out of place hanging off the side of a Macbook Air.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
I use the Korg iElectribe for drums, mostly. I use it to program drum beats for my various musical projects that usually go nowhere. It amounts to little more than loops but so does any, similar program or app.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

You can make full songs in iElectribe, it's just a little trickier than making straight forward loops. That program rocks.

I think the original is better than the Gorillaz branded version based on what I've seen.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

jakewastaken posted:

You can make full songs in iElectribe, it's just a little trickier than making straight forward loops. That program rocks.

I think the original is better than the Gorillaz branded version based on what I've seen.
Yes and no. Even if it's full song length and has different parts, as long as it's a prerecorded thing, I think of it like a loop. It doesn't have the means to be changed live, while you're playing something else. That's what I mean. My "band" has been programming full songs using it and not looping anything.

I wanted the Gorillaz one but it has a major problem. All the samples in it are consider copyrighted. If you were to use that app to make beats for music, you would have to get permission to be able to sell it. A minor thing that doesn't matter to most people here, probably, but points against it in my book.

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
General question: In your experience, how are the Apogee Jam and iRig? Are those the best solutions to connecting your guitar to iPad? Are they compatible with most apps (Nanostudio, Garageband, others...)?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I iRig is great for practice and utterly wortheless for anything louder than headphones. Feedback is a huge issue. Does the jam have the same issue? I'd hope not, being twice the price and all.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah the Jam uses the dock port to connect so no issues there, the feedback on the iRig comes from the in and output going through the one little cable into the headphone jack. The Jam is definitely compatible with Garageband and Nanostudio (full list here) but it isn't compatible with Amplitube if you had that app in mind, most likely because they sell the iRig itself and wouldn't want their userbase to see the clear superiority of the dock connection method.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
The iRig is a great option for cheap recording, though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey can I export midi files from nanostudio/tabletop/etc?

I basically want to be able to use the ipad to rough out some beats and then transfer the midi file from the sequencer in ipad to my desktop DAW.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, NanoStudio has a midi export in the tools area (the wrench when looking at the track editor).

No idea why it isn't under the main menu where you save your project, but whatever. It works.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just bought Nanostudio and goddamn what a great app! , I literally came up with a cool midi loop for drums and then wifi connected to my computer and drag dropped it straight on a track in Studio One. Gotta love technology. :v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This thread would probably be one of the last places to post something off-the-wall like this, but if you haven't been following the "Tails Gets Trolled" thread in GBS, you would miss this song I made entirely in Garageband on my iPad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePSdwjOz5c
I really love the smart guitars and voice filters and even though I didn't feature them in the song, the new strings that were added in the last update are amazing. The way that Garageband lets you cue up a spot in the song and even counts you in for retakes of performances is really easy and helps a lot when you're making the song piece by piece.

Well, enjoy (or not)!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

A quick announcement that TC-11 has been updated - check out the post here!

Some quick retina screenshots (click for HUGE):

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Has anyone tried AC-7 Core app for controlling their daw? I kinda want it so I can easily start recording while sitting on the drums.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Be sure to grab Animoog today! Discounted to 3$!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Has anyone played with the Fairlight Pro app? $50 is an awful lot to spend on an app - I don't want to pull the trigger unless I know it's absolutely worth it.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2012

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

treasureplane posted:

Has anyone played with the Fairlight Pro app? $50 is an awful lot to spend on an app - I don't want to pull the trigger unless I know it's absolutely worth it.

One of my friends has it. The extra voices are decent but the sequencer has a pretty steep learning curve. I haven't tried the sampler. If you're the type of person that loves archaic interfaces for composing (like those tracker people although fairlight is not a tracker at all) then you'd probably love it.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Propellerhead Figure has finally been released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLjRH6GJec

It uses the same algorythms as Thor and Kong in Reason.
The best thing about it: it's only 1$ / 0.79€!

I'm not sure about it's value as a production tool, but it's definitely a really nice toy for doodling around. From my first impressions I think I like it even more than iKaossilator.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

treasureplane posted:

It's a really neat app - think of it almost as a museum piece recreation of the original fairlight experience, down to having to turn it on, insert the disk, wait for the disk to load, hear the drive chattering, etc. - but it's simply overpriced. The Fairlight company just doesn't seem to understand their place in the app world. It would be a great $10 purchase, but the current price is just absurd.

• Locked thread