Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Robin Hood posted:

Heading out in a few hours but... poo poo. If one of my other fiends doesn't take Druid I might have to simply because you can take a Dinosaur as your companion. A loving dinosaur, guys.

Yeah, at like 15th level, and only if your DM lets you. Dinosaur companion sounds cool, but unfortunately it's very uncommon that you'll make it to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Red Robin Hood posted:

Heading out in a few hours but... poo poo. If one of my other fiends doesn't take Druid I might have to simply because you can take a Dinosaur as your companion. A loving dinosaur, guys.
Depending on your GM, they might say that you have to be in a climate that would actually have dinosaurs in order to take one as a companion. So, basically the jungle.

^ It depends on the type of dinosaur. Some are pretty small and not terribly powerful and can be taken as soon as you're able to take a companion. Dimorphodons, for example.

Quackenbush
Nov 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As a druid make sure you take the feat that lets you cast in Wild Shape ASAP

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, at like 15th level, and only if your DM lets you. Dinosaur companion sounds cool, but unfortunately it's very uncommon that you'll make it to that point.

Actually theres no actual limitation on taking Dinosaurs as the listing here shows. However, you would not be getting a full sized dinosaur for the larger varieties, as they cap out at Large, presumably because anything bigger can be cumbersome to adventure with.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
gently caress it! I want to teleport and stab poo poo so I'm going Cleric.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
In general healing in-battle is a bad idea - healing is what you do after the fight is over. So keep that in mind I suppose.

Quackenbush
Nov 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why does everybody say the Summoner is OP? I just read it over and the eidolon doesn't seem that much better than an animal companion, and the druid gets a full spellcasting progression and class features other than "have an eidolon"

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Quackenbush posted:

Why does everybody say the Summoner is OP? I just read it over and the eidolon doesn't seem that much better than an animal companion, and the druid gets a full spellcasting progression and class features other than "have an eidolon"

My GM's excuse is, "I have never seen an Eidolon built properly, so I'm banning the class."

Granted, this is my GM so take that with a grain of salt.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Quackenbush posted:

Eidolons are a lot more powerful then druid companions, and summoners generally have a better spell choice until you hit the higher levels. The Summoner is basically a slightly limited wizard and a really powerful melee warrior in one class until level 7 spells enter play.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
So I told my friend that had inquired about playing a Psychic Fist in Way of the Wicked that I was denying all Psionics. His response, "gently caress you. I'm going to ruin your campaign."

The grognards walk among us.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

So I told my friend that had inquired about playing a Psychic Fist in Way of the Wicked that I was denying all Psionics. His response, "gently caress you. I'm going to ruin your campaign."

Pretty sure the requisite response to that is "gently caress you, you're not in my campaign."

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Eidolons are a lot more powerful then druid companions, and summoners generally have a better spell choice until you hit the higher levels. The Summoner is basically a slightly limited wizard and a really powerful melee warrior in one class until level 7 spells enter play.

As I recall, summoners also get a lot of "early entry" spells, i.e. spells that are a lower level for the summoner than for another casting class. For example, summoners have Dominate Monster available as a sixth-level spell, when for wizards it is ninth. While this means lower DCs, this isn't always a problem (e.g. for buffs) and is sometimes compensated by spells being available at an earlier class level as well (sixth-level spells become available at summoner 16 versus ninth at wizard 17).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

As I recall, summoners also get a lot of "early entry" spells, i.e. spells that are a lower level for the summoner than for another casting class. For example, summoners have Dominate Monster available as a sixth-level spell, when for wizards it is ninth. While this means lower DCs, this isn't always a problem (e.g. for buffs) and is sometimes compensated by spells being available at an earlier class level as well (sixth-level spells become available at summoner 16 versus ninth at wizard 17).

Yep.

Summoners without their eidolon are a small step below wizards.

Summoners then get to have their eidolon.

I hesitate to call them OP in the face of a lot of other stuff, but I feel Summoners are at the very least very, very loving potent and in a way that doesn't require "tricks" to do so.

Quackenbush
Nov 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

That isn't really as powerful as you'd think, because a Summoner gets Dominate Monster at almost the same character level a Wizard does.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
I was looking though class archetypes when I came across the Bard's Sound Striker. Specifically, this:

Pathfinder SRD posted:

Weird Words (Su): At 6th level, a sound striker can start a performance as a standard action, lashing out with 1 potent sound per bard level (maximum 10), each sound affecting one target within 30 feet. These are ranged touch attacks. Each weird word deals 1d8 points of damage plus the bard’s Charisma bonus (Fortitude half ), and the bard chooses whether it deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage for each word.

Two questions:

1) Do you maintain it as a free action like every other performance?
2) Is there any reason this wouldn't function with sneak attacks?

e:Summoner-chat: I'm still apologizing to my friend for bringing a summoner to his level one campaign; my eidolon all but one-shot killed everything we came across.

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 4, 2012

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

^^^ The language "start a performance" suggests to me that it can be maintained like any other. I don't see any obvious reason why it wouldn't work with sneak attack assuming the other requirements are met.

Quackenbush posted:

That isn't really as powerful as you'd think, because a Summoner gets Dominate Monster at almost the same character level a Wizard does.

I don't intend to suggest it makes them better than the wizard, but rather that it makes their spellcasting much closer to the wizard's than you might expect from a six-level spellcaster.

OpenlyEvilJello fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 4, 2012

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yep.

Summoners without their eidolon are a small step below wizards.

Summoners then get to have their eidolon.

I hesitate to call them OP in the face of a lot of other stuff, but I feel Summoners are at the very least very, very loving potent and in a way that doesn't require "tricks" to do so.

Their Eidolon basically is a second character that's fully customizable, and IIRC, the whole business was to turn it into a pouncer with All The Natural Weapons. Then fire it like a tentacled missile at the enemy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

veekie posted:

Their Eidolon basically is a second character that's fully customizable, and IIRC, the whole business was to turn it into a pouncer with All The Natural Weapons. Then fire it like a tentacled missile at the enemy.
In my experience, a Summoner is best played as a solo class, because the Eidolon quite effectively gets rid of the entire reason an an arcane caster needs a party. It's like some of the shenanigans you can get up to with your druid's animal companion in 3.5e, except it's out-of-the-box, doesn't require any extra investment, and covers the class' primary weakness.

Yeah, wizards can break the world over their knee slightly more effectively, but at that point, it's like pooing on someone's lawn after you burn down their house. Evocative, certainly, but the damage is already well more than done.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've never played a Tabletop game before, so of course I'm going to start bugging people on the internet to help me build a character. I've got two different groups of friends that are heavy into Pathfinder, so I'm going to make a character and play with them both. I'd ask them for help, but they're all in school/out of town so it's hard to get them to sit down and help me make a character on my own time.

I'm using This to help build my character since I'm math dumb.

So anyway, I've been thinking about a Half-Orc Inquisitor. After long thought I finally decided that playing a Kobald was a dumb idea for a first-time player. I'm not finding a lot of resources on Inquisitor. No pre-made characters or suggestions of any kind.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 4, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
First play session was pretty fun. I went with Travel and Luck domains for my Cleric and I'm pretty happy with my choice so far!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Flameingblack posted:

I've never played a Tabletop game before, so of course I'm going to start bugging people on the internet to help me build a character. I've got two different groups of friends that are heavy into Pathfinder, so I'm going to make a character and play with them both. I'd ask them for help, but they're all in school/out of town so it's hard to get them to sit down and help me make a character on my own time.

I'm using This to help build my character since I'm math dumb.

So anyway, I've been thinking about a Half-Orc Inquisitor. After long thought I finally decided that playing a Kobald was a dumb idea for a first-time player. I'm not finding a lot of resources on Inquisitor. No pre-made characters or suggestions of any kind.

Depends on what you want to do with the Inquisitor. If you're going Half-Orc, you might look into the alternate favored class ability that lets you add 1/2 your class levels to Intimidate. This is in addition to the class ability that already lets you do the same thing. Take Skill Focus (Intimidate) and a trait for +2 to Intimidate and you can easily pull off a +20 Intimidate check at level 4 or so. 4 ranks, +2 from starting 14 Cha, +3 from class skill, +2 racial, +2 trait, +3 skill focus, +2 class ability, +2 alternate favored class. Then start picking up all the weird feats that interact with Intimidate and be Gorum's personal champion of Terror.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks for those Druid tips before, I'm actually having more fun with it than I had with my Sorcerer. The second encounter we had I rolled a natural twenty on initiative and proceeded to entangle loving everything, followed my by owl companion flying above it and clawing everything's eyes out.

We started at level 3, but everyone apparently had their character sheets done by the time I got there so I didn't do my feats yet. Any suggestions for those?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Depends on what specialty you want, Druids can spec into a wide variety of options:
-Attack/control spells: Mainly metamagic and possibly spell focus once you can identify the appropriate school to boost.
-Buff spells: Not much feat wise to take, other than maybe Extend to make them last longer.
-Summoning: Since you have them on tap anyway, Spell Focus(conjuration) and Augment Summoning, as well as the other summoning improving feats are often a gimme for low level druids.
-Combat(Mounted): Your animal companion is badass, so pick a pouncer or something with superior mobility(Flight for example), and ride it. Go with mounted combat feats to take full advantage, especially if you're Small.
-Combat(Personal): Once you get wild shape, you yourself are a powerful front line combatant, assuming you have the ability scores for it. Natural weapon feats, as well as stock melee feats like Power Attack and Combat Expertise can be used to let you take more advantage of the various forms special attacks like Grab etc. Up till then you'd be mostly just popping out a Produce Flame, Shilleagh or Flame Blade though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The most generalized decision is if you want to focus on spellcasting or animal form. Mind you, either way, you're a bear that has a bear best friend and you can summon bears and ride a giant bear, but in one your BEAR SPELLS are more powerful, and in the other your BEAR CLAWS are more powerful.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
IMO a druid should never take extend, just pick up a few rods, because most of the spells you want to extend are 3rd level or lower and rods are cheap.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

My last druid got a fair amount of mileage out of Scribe Scroll. There are a lot of spells on your list that a situational, but extremely good when the situation comes up.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Kvantum posted:

Depends on what you want to do with the Inquisitor. If you're going Half-Orc, you might look into the alternate favored class ability that lets you add 1/2 your class levels to Intimidate. This is in addition to the class ability that already lets you do the same thing. Take Skill Focus (Intimidate) and a trait for +2 to Intimidate and you can easily pull off a +20 Intimidate check at level 4 or so. 4 ranks, +2 from starting 14 Cha, +3 from class skill, +2 racial, +2 trait, +3 skill focus, +2 class ability, +2 alternate favored class. Then start picking up all the weird feats that interact with Intimidate and be Gorum's personal champion of Terror.

Make it a Conversion Inquisition Inquisitor with a level in the Thug Archetype of the Rogue class, then pump your Wisdom as high as it'll go. I made an Inquisitor 4/Thug 1 that had +20 to Intimidate and Dazzling Display. At that level you only need to roll a 10 or higher to send everybody within 30' scrambling for the exits as a Full Round Action. If you're Enlarged, you get an extra +4 on your Intimidate Check for being bigger than them, and you can downgrade that to a Standard Action if you cast Blistering Invective, in addition to dealing 1d10 Fire Damage and setting them on fire.

Essentially you're screaming so loud you cause your enemies to burst into flames.

If that's not enough, once you hit level 8 you'll be able to outright convince an enemy to join your side 1/day. The Will save for that is 10 + 1/2 Inquisitor Level + Wis Modifier. It's not unreasonable to hit an enemy Rogue or Fighter with a DC 21 Save or Join Us Forever. Even if they make their save they're still Dominated for an entire minute.

Grognard
Mar 31, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

gently caress it! I want to teleport and stab poo poo so I'm going Cleric.

That doesn't preclude getting an animal companion. Go look at some of the alternative domains. Not really sure it's worth getting one that is 2 to 4 levels under what a comparable druid can do. (Actually take the feat that allows you to cast self buffs on both yourself and your companion. Let the companion do the fight thing while you power up).

Or just say to hell with it all and play a witch.

Grognard
Mar 31, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

I do not think that word means what you think it means. . .

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
When my grognardy caster-supremacy-denier buddy resumes his campaign in a couple months, I'm gonna swap out my revolver-totin' Gunslinger for a Synthesist Summoner. Quadrupeds seem to have a solid advantage, but I may go slam-evolved biped just for the mental image of a horrifying betentacled spellcasting Guyver.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I've been wondering lately how Vital Strike stacks up to what could be done on a proper Pounce -- for convenience's sake, I'll say at levels 6, 11, and 16, when you meet the prerequisites for the Vital Strike feats. If there were feats that could be taken at those levels to allow Pounce, how would they stack up to the Vital Strike feats? I'm going to assume outright better, but I'm wondering just how big the difference would be.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

At level 16, I'd say that any feat which allows Pounce is going to be easily better than the entire Vital Strike feat tree combined.

At level 6, there would be much less of a difference since it would only allow one extra attack (or two for a two weapon fighter), but I'd still say that Pounce would be better, since getting a chance to apply damage dice and +damage (and another chance to possibly roll a crit) is better than just applying more damage dice.

In terms of "fixing" Vital Strike, in the event that anyone really wants to, I'd say a good step would be to change it to apply +damage modifiers (or at least just +strength) in addition to the extra damage dice. That's just on a rough eyeballing, though. I haven't crunched any numbers or anything to see if that would have some horribly overpowered result.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 4, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Make it a Conversion Inquisition Inquisitor with a level in the Thug Archetype of the Rogue class, then pump your Wisdom as high as it'll go. I made an Inquisitor 4/Thug 1 that had +20 to Intimidate and Dazzling Display. At that level you only need to roll a 10 or higher to send everybody within 30' scrambling for the exits as a Full Round Action. If you're Enlarged, you get an extra +4 on your Intimidate Check for being bigger than them, and you can downgrade that to a Standard Action if you cast Blistering Invective, in addition to dealing 1d10 Fire Damage and setting them on fire.

Essentially you're screaming so loud you cause your enemies to burst into flames.

If that's not enough, once you hit level 8 you'll be able to outright convince an enemy to join your side 1/day. The Will save for that is 10 + 1/2 Inquisitor Level + Wis Modifier. It's not unreasonable to hit an enemy Rogue or Fighter with a DC 21 Save or Join Us Forever. Even if they make their save they're still Dominated for an entire minute.
Sounds excellent. Right now my Level 1 stats are like this:
16 Str (+2 Racial)
12 Dex
12 Con
11 Int
13 Wis
13 Chr

I'm guessing Skill Focus replaces my Feat, right? I used a skill modifier for Intimidate and it still says I have 1 Feat left. I'm using trovetokens's website.

I picked up Nonchalant Thuggery and Brute (Half-Orc) as my traits, I'm not sure what to take to be honest, but this looks alright.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Fudge Handsome posted:

I've been wondering lately how Vital Strike stacks up to what could be done on a proper Pounce -- for convenience's sake, I'll say at levels 6, 11, and 16, when you meet the prerequisites for the Vital Strike feats. If there were feats that could be taken at those levels to allow Pounce, how would they stack up to the Vital Strike feats? I'm going to assume outright better, but I'm wondering just how big the difference would be.

I am at an odd effort point where I don't feel like building an example character but I would be happy to do the arithmetic if somebody provides some numbers [edit: attack bonus, damage expression, and target AC]. There are a couple of key differences between the two concepts: pounce means charging, which means double movement in a straight line over open terrain and +2 to attack rolls (-2 to AC); vital strike cannot be used with a charge, so you get a single but more flexible movement instead and no modifiers to combat stats. In general, the difference is going to be whether (or more accurately by how much*) the gain in expected damage from +2 to-hit and one or more extra instances of damage dice plus modifiers exceeds the gain from one or more extra instances of damage dice.

*It's pretty clear that a full attack is better than vital strike (possible exception for very low static mods), and adding a charge bonus on top won't make it any closer.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
You know what? gently caress it, I'll just use pencil and paper to create my character and a calculator. I'm no good at math, though.

My character? An Elven female rouge named Veritas :rimshot:

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
We have a she-elf Rogue in our party named Alibi.
We also have a Jekyll-Hyde-style Alchemist named Tanner.
Our healer is "James Tiberius Cleric"
The ranger's wolf companion is "Lupio"

I love clever names for characters.

All You Can Eat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 5, 2012

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Porkness posted:

We also have a Jekyll-Hyde-style Alchemist named Tanner.

Is this a Full House thing?

Gringo Mystique
Aug 28, 2000

Law should be like death, which spares no one.
I'm likely going to be playing in a homebrew based on the Pathfinder system. The main changes are Star Wars d20 style health, spells 7th level and above are likely going to be rituals, reduced cost of creating magical and alchemical items, and some various 4e style changes to fighters in an attempt to make them viable. I'm going to be playing a bomber alchemist, and would like some feedback on how I'm thinking about going with this build.

My basic idea is to always be throwing something, whether it's a bomb or acid flask or whatever. Playing a human, so my starting feats I'm thinking about point blank shot and charging hurler for the plus to hit and extra 10 foot range. As for further feats and discoveries precise shot and precise bombs are the next top priority so I can still effectively bomb into melee. Past that, I think that stink bombs are the ultimate goal.

I'll also likely be responsible partially for healing, and plan on doing that through making cure potions, which will be cheaper to make in the setting, as well as a reduction from the hedge magician trait. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Gringo Mystique posted:

I'll also likely be responsible partially for healing, and plan on doing that through making cure potions, which will be cheaper to make in the setting, as well as a reduction from the hedge magician trait. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

You'll need the Infusion discovery to make it so other people can drink your extracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I'm sorry to just drop into this thread from nowhere, but I'm having a problem I'm not sure how to find the answer to, and I'm not sure where to ask, but because this is part of a Pathfinder game I'm playing...

Essentially, my group is trying to figure out specifics of Portable Holes, such as its maximum weight allowed (since it's not listed like it is for the bags of holding) if there is any, because there's nothing saying there ISN'T a maximum either, and why can I walk through the hole, any object I push can go through the hole, but air only gets into the hole when it's first opened? How does it get in initially but not after? Does that mean I can keep closing it and opening it for unlimited air? Or does it only happen the first time you ever use it? Is there a fabric covering the hole when it's open that prevents anything from going through unless by sentient will? Can you see into the hole or is it just a black circle until I stick my head through? Why are there no specific details on what the hell it does apart from vague '10 minutes worth of air' and '10 feet deep'?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 5, 2012