Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

It changed? It looks the same to me.

Different accounts got different versions of the PS3 UI. You most likely got the one that they ended up finally using. Others (like me) had a much, much nicer UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I used to be able to browse by sub category. It was pretty slick.

That went away long ago.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrGreenShirt posted:

Not for me it didn't! :argh:

It's been on hulu (non plus, even) for a while; I was quite nonplussed about it!

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Just wanted to drop by to recommend:

When a deadly outbreak of influenza holds the residents of a quarantined apartment building hostage, Coco and his pregnant wife, Pipi, must form a tentative partnership with an unstable but well-stocked neighbor.

This is another case of bad box art, this isn't some mindless action flick with zombies. It's one of the best pandemic movies I've seen in a while. When you first start watching it, you'll probably be tempted to stop watching immediately when you see what must be one of the most low-budget opening credits that video toaster ever produced. Once it gets past establishing all the characters in the first act, there is a constant sense of tension that continues out to the end. The tension and paranoia between the residents builds until the last 30 minutes which is in effect a giant chase scene with a very John Carpenter inspired musical selection playing in the background. One of the final confrontations uses a deus ex machina but I was able to live with it.

I'd highly recommend giving it a shot, I've been pretty disappointed lately at my random Netflix suggestions but this one appeared to be right on.

Netflix Instant - Phase 7

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Is anyone else doing the free 30 day trial of Amazon Instant whatever? It's pretty slick.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mouser.. posted:

Just wanted to drop by to recommend:

I'd highly recommend giving it a shot, I've been pretty disappointed lately at my random Netflix suggestions but this one appeared to be right on.

Netflix Instant - Phase 7

It's a great survival movie that similar to many Euro films has sparse action scenes in-between the buildup.

Especially the Twilight Zone-esque setup for the characters that gradually leads to less civil behavior over time.

I really liked it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
What happened, why is it morning? Apparently I just watched the entire run of Terriers in one sitting?? What a great show.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
A whole bunch of TED Talks are on now and they are some very good listens. I noticed the comedy one first and I'll admit that some of those were even a little too geeky for me, but the are several other series such as Cyber Awe, Space Trek, and a few others.

Also finally watched The Captains , which is basically just Shatner reconnecting and reminiscing with all the past captains from Star Trek. I actually enjoyed it very much, and proceeded to watch some TNG afterwards.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also finally watched The Captains , which is basically just Shatner reconnecting and reminiscing with all the past captains from Star Trek. I actually enjoyed it very much, and proceeded to watch some TNG afterwards.

I found that movie hilarious and also a bit uncomfortable - Shatner always framed the conversation from his perspective, and tried to make every interview about how awesome he was. (See his argument about Kate Mulgrew about her father, where he keeps goading her for no reason about lying to her father to study with Stella Adler.)

However, totally worth it to see just how batshit crazy Avery Brooks is now.

I just watched Rango last night, and boy oh boy was it incredible. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the story was a fun little adult romp reminiscent of spaghetti Westerns and Chinatown. Johnny Depp actually knocked it out of the park, and the other characters were great - though it looks like Ned Beatty's got a bumper crop playing villainous heads of cartoon societies in CGI movies now.

My favorite part of the movie? Reading the Netflix reviews afterward, especially all the 1 and 2 star reviews from people who didn't expect it to be a darker movie than it was. Some favorites:

quote:

"bad movie if you are 8 and under make sure that your parents will watch with u or if they approve of it this is a very bad movie and also stupid also known as dumb"

quote:

"its horible how dare they call this a kid movie its HORIBBLE it saidd it was about a hero and a heroine it starts with rango talking to a crushed armadillo i quit the time i saw the zombie scene i"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hewlett posted:

I found that movie hilarious and also a bit uncomfortable - Shatner always framed the conversation from his perspective, and tried to make every interview about how awesome he was. (See his argument about Kate Mulgrew about her father, where he keeps goading her for no reason about lying to her father to study with Stella Adler.)

Oh I totally agree. It was so obviously from Shatners perspective and its his film and is completely about him. I loved how watery his eyes were in half the scenes.

The scene with Bill and Avery improvising together. :allears:

It seems all the captains but Stewart are completely living in the past. Probably because Stewart is the only one to move on to bigger and better things. I understand Shatners need for validation. That end scene where he comes to his "realization" was painful to watch.

The whole thing was kind of a beautiful train wreck. I sure enjoyed the hell out of it though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hewlett posted:

How so?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How so?

Just a completely rambling, high-off-his-rear end mess - kooky grandpa style. Always just playing on his piano and improvising, nothing he says really makes 100% sense. That kind of crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's awesome, I will definitely watch this. I shied away from it at first because I find Kate Mulgrew cringeworthy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's awesome, I will definitely watch this. I shied away from it at first because I find Kate Mulgrew cringeworthy.

As much as her show sucked, Kate Mulgrew comes off as a really sweet, intelligent person. And classy as hell.

Avery Brooks' segment is a riot, and if you watch other interview footage with him it seems like he's playing his weirdness up for Shatner.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2012

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

penismightier posted:

Avery Brooks' segment is a riot, and if you watch other interview footage with him it seems like he's playing his weirdness up for Shatner.

Most definitely. It's like he decided "Well, I'm going to do this interview with William Shatner for his self-serving gimmick movie. How can I make it interesting for myself? I know! I'll turn my half of the interview into the verbal equivalent of freeform jazz!"

I also found it hilarious how little time Shatner spends with Chris Pine. At least that was how it seemed to me.

The Patrick Stewart parts are the best, though. That is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve.

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, those segments were great. The Chris Pine thing was okay, but it was really hokey with the staged arm-wrestling and the group of people gathering around, saying "Man, he's so strong :keke:".

It did seem like Shatner got along with Scott Bakula the best, probably solely because they met at a horse ranch.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hewlett posted:

It did seem like Shatner got along with Scott Bakula the best, probably solely because they met at a horse ranch.

Or just because he's Scott Bakula. I'd love to spend a day talking with that man.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
I don't know when they put it up, but I'm happy to see Miami Vice (show) is up right now. I've been wanting to watch it again for awhile now.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Did they just get rid of subtitles?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Did they just get rid of subtitles?
They're still available for random titles, I don't think anything's changed. Not all movies or TV shows get them.

I know The Fighter still has them, which I finally started watching last night. I was actually making use of the subtitles, that fahkin' Bahstan accent can be wicked hahd to unnerstand yah?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

etalian posted:

It's a great survival movie that similar to many Euro films has sparse action scenes in-between the buildup.

Especially the Twilight Zone-esque setup for the characters that gradually leads to less civil behavior over time.

I really liked it.

I was going to write this but I couldn't find the right words at the time. The gradual decay of trust/sharing and rise of paranoia among the other apartment tenants was very reminiscent of The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo, Days of Heaven is available.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'd never seen it but I just watched it over the course of last night and this morning and really liked it.

Have to give props to whoever mentioned Timecrimes as well earlier ITT - I watched that last week and that was definitely one of the better time travel movies I've ever seen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Now there are some exceptions, and some movies truly are on very long wait for everyone, but typically its some esoteric concert disc or a movie from the 50's that Netflix had very few discs of to begin with, and then basically never replenished their supply after several of these discs were damaged beyond playability or 'lost' by subscribers. If a movie has that status though, more often than not it eventually (we're talking after like a year or more) moves from 'very long wait' to 'saved DVD' then to just permanently 'unavailable.'

Is Mystery Science Theater 3000: Space Mutiny set to very long wait for everyone or just me for that reason then? I typically give movies back pretty quickly.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Mystery Science Theater 3000: Space Mutiny set to very long wait for everyone or just me for that reason then? I typically give movies back pretty quickly.

Space Mutiny fell out of print awhile back, was never available separately, and the set it was in goes for ridiculous amounts of $$$ online. Popularity of episode + disc attrition = bung it to the top of your queue and hope for the best.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
After watching the first and only season of The Black Donnellys, I demand more seasons.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The OSS 117 movies were gone for a while, right? Well, they're back, and if you enjoy spy movies, comedy movies, French movies, French comedy movies, French spy movies, spy comedy movies, comedy spy movies, Jean Dujardin, jokes about religion, or movie movie movies, you absolutely must watch OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio. These movies are what the Austin Powers movies wish they could be and what Archer would be if it were a French movie.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Shadley Puffin posted:

Space Mutiny fell out of print awhile back, was never available separately, and the set it was in goes for ridiculous amounts of $$$ online. Popularity of episode + disc attrition = bung it to the top of your queue and hope for the best.

And scarily enough, it's not even close to the most expensive box set.

I imagine it would be worth contacting Shout! about. Having said that, I don't know what rights and episodes went from where to where when they switched distributors from Rhino, so I don't know how fruitful it could be. At the very least, expressing interest directly to the distributor or production company might get it put on Instant.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Not sure it it's been mentioned already but Trollhunter is an awesome movie about a group of Norwegian film students following around a badass guy in the wilderness hunting trolls.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

In case anyone's bored and looking for something to do on Netflix (and liked the ThanksKilling drinking game I posted a while back), I just posted a new drinking game for Iron Man 2 that you can try out.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

marsisol posted:

Not sure it it's been mentioned already but Trollhunter is an awesome movie about a group of Norwegian film students following around a badass guy in the wilderness hunting trolls.

Not only that but it's beautifully shot and is the only thing that has ever made me think I want to visit Norway.

Just watched Ghosts of Mars. Nice no-brainer scifi thriller. Never totally disgusting, some decent action. I wish they had made a sequel or two.

E: Just started Iron Man 2 with a beer and those drinking rules. I'll report back.

Manky fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

^^ Thank you goon sir, let me know what you think. I'd have gone for more specific rules, but we wanted ones that could cover both films.

On a Netflix-related note: Watching both Weeds and Supernatural, I see that Jeffrey Dean Morgan keeps getting typecast as patriarchs of the family of main characters, who either die or go missing before/during the first episode.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Or dies, yet still is a major character: Grey's Anatomy.

At least he sticks around in his movies, he was awesome in the Losers.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
After 2h10m, I've consumed 1 3/4 beers. The pepper Potts bickering rule is good, and the Tony insisting he's okay (though it probably works better for the first one). The energy weapons one is tricky because you'll go from a big lull to counting how many drinks you suddenly and quickly have to take. I'd throw in at least one more finish your drink rules. Good attempt though!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Manky posted:

After 2h10m, I've consumed 1 3/4 beers. The pepper Potts bickering rule is good, and the Tony insisting he's okay (though it probably works better for the first one). The energy weapons one is tricky because you'll go from a big lull to counting how many drinks you suddenly and quickly have to take. I'd throw in at least one more finish your drink rules. Good attempt though!

Thanks - basically, our gimmick is to keep our drinking games simple, with three rules and ONE Finish Your Drink line (we just happen to have one for each movie in that episode). Other potential rules for Iron Man 2 solely that we considered:

- Drink every time Justin Hammer offers something to someone
- Drink every time Tony looks at his "blood toxicity" level

It's tough to do one for Iron Man 2, since it's such an episodic movie, with many wildly different scenarios happening over its runtime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can't wait to play the drinking game for norton's hulk.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Kingtheninja posted:

Can't wait to play the drinking game for norton's hulk.

Personally, I'm really excited about showing off the Thor drinking game - we've already got some good ones.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just finished Reclaiming the Blade, a well done documentary about swords. First thing I noticed was the interesting choice in soundtrack featuring post rock's Explosions in the Sky and a variety of other rock / pop groups that fit the scenes very well.

The doc shows the evolution of swords, some choreography in movies by Bob Anderson who choreographed such movies as Star Wars ( he was Vader in a few duel scenes), LotR, Princess Bride, etc. It also shows larping! Okay not really larping, but, reenactments. It goes on to show groups today that are uncovering western martial arts books and trying to bring western martial arts to recognition alongside eastern martial arts, also modern day sword smiths utilizing medieval techniques.

Anyways there's a lot to this doc and its a good watch!

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Sometimes a Great Notion is pretty good. There's an absolutely DEVASTATING scene toward the end.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/179086

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
Im not sure if its been talked about in here but Brick is an amazing movie starring Joseph Gordon Levitt in a high school noir'ish film. I only watched it as a crappy fall asleep to movie but it turned out to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Brick is an odd one. It's like a noir film set in high school but the kids feel like they're speaking another language to me so I never got into it.

The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down - A comedy set as a narrated documentary, sort of like a drug and club version of The Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human, which is also decent if you haven't given it a shot.

• Locked thread