Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Austin becomes infuriated that you think you're too good to acknowledge beer, he drinks beer!

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

You saying there's something wrong with him?

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

You saying he's stupid?

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

Dumb?

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

A moron?

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

That he's got no class?

WHAT?

Jerusalem posted:

You get a stunner.

WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

:laffo: Brilliant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Page 626 is the best page.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't wanna ruin this page with a stupid rear end question... let's just skip to 627.

Johnny Ace's voice - always that gravely? There are a couple of rugby league players in Australia who have identical voices due to neck-high tackles. One of them had an operation to repair it. Just wondering if that's the same with the new GM.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

tongster posted:

I don't wanna ruin this page with a stupid rear end question... let's just skip to 627.

Johnny Ace's voice - always that gravely? There are a couple of rugby league players in Australia who have identical voices due to neck-high tackles. One of them had an operation to repair it. Just wondering if that's the same with the new GM.

I think his is more due to having to shout to get the waitress' attention at the various bars and nightclubs around Tampa. You know, when he's down there doing development stuff. :v:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

tongster posted:

Well, during his time in All Japan, he'd have had to receive thunderous chops from Kobashi, stiff kicks from Kawada, powerful lariats from Hansen and crushing forearms from Misawa...

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Perigryn posted:

Well, during his time in All Japan, he'd have had to receive thunderous chops from Kobashi, stiff kicks from Kawada, powerful lariats from Hansen and crushing forearms from Misawa...

You could literally be making names up and I wouldn't know the difference.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tongster posted:

Get thee to the puro thread, and Ditch will probably happily educate you.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

tongster posted:

Kobashi chopping the hell out of Tenryu (not even the best example).

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

tzirean posted:

Get thee to the puro thread, and Ditch will probably happily educate you.

Your education will involve pain. Physical pain.

My question: I've heard that the luchador Oro was important, but last night I tried to find footage of him and all I could find was footage of his death.

I can find plenty of footage of Owen Hart that's not his death announcement/his supposed death video/his tribute show/lovely music video tributes but none of Oro that aren't literally watching him die.

So basically, 1.) does anyone have any match footage of the supposedly important Oro?
2.) is he only remembered because of his young death or what?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Duck of Death posted:

To me, his matches are like his promos: heavy-handed essays that are usually a chore to sit through. He's had some great ones, sure. Did he add that much to them? I watched the cage match with Flair recently and it was awesome, but almost everything I liked about it came from Flair. Even a 50-year-old Tenryu seems a better choice for best in the world during Trips' peak.

The cage match with Flair was well past his peak. Do you even know what you are talking about

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Nut Bunnies posted:

The cage match with Flair was well past his peak. Do you even know what you are talking about

Look man if you're going to kick out everyone who doesn't know what they're talking about, it's going to be one lonely PSP

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LvK posted:

Your education will involve pain. Physical pain.

My question: I've heard that the luchador Oro was important, but last night I tried to find footage of him and all I could find was footage of his death.

I can find plenty of footage of Owen Hart that's not his death announcement/his supposed death video/his tribute show/lovely music video tributes but none of Oro that aren't literally watching him die.

So basically, 1.) does anyone have any match footage of the supposedly important Oro?
2.) is he only remembered because of his young death or what?
Here's one I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF48xEhgQL0 (not very clear though)

From what I remember reading about him, he was an amazing high flier and had the potential to become that major crossover lucha star at that point in his career like Rey did years later). He studied lots of tapes from all around the world to improve himself as a worker, which ironically lead to his death when he tried to duplicate one of Kobashi's 'landing on his head' bumps and it ended tragically for him.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 4, 2012

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Were HBK's WM matches with UT better than HHH's last 2 WM matches with UT? Go ahead and include the build to the matches also if you want to.

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 4, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

My personal order for them is:

Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker I
Triple H vs. Undertaker III
Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker II
Triple H vs. Undertaker II

It's actually kind of hard to compare them, though. The Shawn Michaels matches were equal parts pure wrestling and drama, whereas the Triple H matches were mostly about the drama and storytelling. The first Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker match at Wrestlemania is absolutely flawless, a ***** match if I ever saw one. The second had a great build, but really lacked some of the excitement because you just knew Michaels was retiring. Triple H vs. Undertaker II had a fairly subpar build, but who didn't think the streak was over when Triple H hit the tombstone? Amazing stuff. Triple H vs. Undertaker III had a very good build and really delivered as an emotional culmination of the storyline.

All four are great matches--some of the best in Wrestlemania history--but if I had to pick which set is overall better, especially for repeat viewings, I'd say the Shawn matches.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

oldpainless posted:

Were HBK's WM matches with UT better than HHH's last 2 WM matches with UT? Go ahead and include the build to the matches also if you want to.

Yeah, I'd say so. I thought both of the Shawn/Taker matches were ***** and I wouldn't go quite that high for either of the Triple H/Taker matches, probably ****1/2 for last year's and ****3/4 for this year's. Splitting hairs though, they're all MOTYCs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Perigryn posted:

Here's one I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF48xEhgQL0 (not very clear though)

From what I remember reading about him, he was an amazing high flier and had the potential to become that major crossover lucha star at that point in his career like Rey did years later). He studied lots of tapes from all around the world to improve himself as a worker, which ironically lead to his death when he tried to duplicate one of Kobashi's 'landing on his head' bumps and it ended tragically for him.

Yeah, I knew all of that but that's some more context than I've heard on his status. I've seen his death a few times trying to find clips :( Thanks for this one!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
How is RF Video able to release something like this? (History of the ECW Tag Titles) http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=27040

Doesn't WWE own all the ECW rights and footage?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

How is RF Video able to release something like this? (History of the ECW Tag Titles) http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=27040

Doesn't WWE own all the ECW rights and footage?

The pedophile used to film ECW so they are using his footage.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This is probably a pretty silly question, and people who have watched wrestling for as long as they can remember may not even realize they do it, but it's so obvious to me since I watched a long time ago, and only see occasional shows now. But how long has the WWE been doing that zoom on impact thing? I've been watching Wrestlemania 28, and any time anyone does an impact move, even as simple as a clothesline, the camera will very quickly zoom in and out. It is most obvious on anything which impacts the mat. It's obviously meant to communicate the force of impact, while also covering it up. It's just a little jarring since it's done every single time now, and I don't really remember it. Does anyone have a feel for how long they've done it?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

The pedophile used to film ECW so they are using his footage.

uh...what?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

uh...what?

Rob Feinstein. To Catch a Predator.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

crankdatbatman posted:

uh...what?

lol i'll pretend you said 18

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is probably a pretty silly question, and people who have watched wrestling for as long as they can remember may not even realize they do it, but it's so obvious to me since I watched a long time ago, and only see occasional shows now. But how long has the WWE been doing that zoom on impact thing? I've been watching Wrestlemania 28, and any time anyone does an impact move, even as simple as a clothesline, the camera will very quickly zoom in and out. It is most obvious on anything which impacts the mat. It's obviously meant to communicate the force of impact, while also covering it up. It's just a little jarring since it's done every single time now, and I don't really remember it. Does anyone have a feel for how long they've done it?

They started doing it in recent months, along with moving the camera with strikes. It takes some getting used to.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cardboard Box posted:

They started doing it in recent months, along with moving the camera with strikes. It takes some getting used to.
Ohhh so it's that new?

I mean, I get it, but god it's unnerving.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Remember when Undertaker said that Shawn was always better than Triple H?

He is.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I got a different type of question. So around Halloween I bought a slightly off model Blue Demon mask. Looks great, except for the nose being covered, feels great and now I want to collect some more. Does anybody here have a recommendation for a seller of wrestling masks? I got my first one at elucha.com and like I said, don't like how the mask is slightly off.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.highspots.com/wrestling-masks.asp?id=49

Highspots has a decent amount in both commerical and pro grades, no clue how good they actually are though.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Thauros posted:

http://www.highspots.com/wrestling-masks.asp?id=49

Highspots has a decent amount in both commerical and pro grades, no clue how good they actually are though.
I've bought a couple of commercial grade masks from there: a blue Silver King and, funnily enough, Plata (Oro's brother). They're pretty good.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Has anyone ever won a 2/3 falls match 2-0?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bearnt! posted:

The Briscoes had a gimmick where they were winning every 2/3 falls match in two straight back in 2007.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

Bearnt! posted:

The real reason for Benoit's murdering spree was his shameful 2-0 loss to MVP on Judgment Day 2007

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Bearnt! posted:

Washed up Flair vs Washed up Foley.

But the first fall was Foley DQ'd for attacking Flair with weapons and poo poo.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I think I may have asked this before, but i think It's something worth discussing.

Do you guys think CM Punk would have gotten over if it wasn't for the smarky rear end crowd in NYC? The crowd made out Punk to be a huge deal.

Would have Punk gotten over eventually?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Perigryn posted:

I've bought a couple of commercial grade masks from there: a blue Silver King and, funnily enough, Plata (Oro's brother). They're pretty good.
thanks man!

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I think I may have asked this before, but i think It's something worth discussing.

Do you guys think CM Punk would have gotten over if it wasn't for the smarky rear end crowd in NYC? The crowd made out Punk to be a huge deal.

Would have Punk gotten over eventually?

Yeah, for sure. The Hammerstein debut gave him a hot start, but he still had to work for his spot. He was hotter than DX at Survivor Series but it's not like they used his insane crowd reactions to give him the ball until a few years later when he'd proved himself to the WWE brass.

This is starting to sound like a familiar story...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel like they've done this for quite a while, including jump cutting at the point of impact.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Was Shawn Michaels ever a heel once he returned from injury and started actively wrestling again? I know he was a bad guy and joined the nWo at one point, but I'm not sure if he was actively wrestling then. I suppose he was the heel in his feud with Hulk Hogan, but as soon as the match was done he was back to normal. Did he ever work as a heel for any sustained period of time after coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
No, I believe you're spot on.