Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vignette is a much better camera app and has any filter you'll ever need, plus it's easy as hell to just share it right to twitter/facebook. drat kids and their Instagram :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Healbot posted:

Instagram is pretty cool to piss off hipster idiots. It's lacking a real purpose otherwise.

I love the internet. Seriously, please give me more of this. People's identity is now so wrapped up in what piece of plastic they carry around in their pocket. Amazing. I too hate it when someone with a different brand of phone as me has the same application.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Why do so many people in this thread have a persecution complex? They're just phones and apps, jesus :psyduck:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

What does this have to do with... anything?
He's stating that the Otterbox, despite being an otherwise very rugged and sturdy case, has giant unprotected hole in the back for no functional purpose other than to display the device's Apple logo.

The point being that Apple folks will gladly give up (insist, even) actual protection in order to flaunt their device as a status symbol. Meanwhile, folks like him and I wonder why there's a giant-as-gently caress hole in the back of a rugged case.

It's not immediately relevant to Instagram, aside from the hipster idiot thing.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why do so many people in this thread have a persecution complex?
I think everyone is just amused by it. It's the Apple Instagram folks (admittedly, a small subset perhaps) who feel like the party was ruined.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why do so many people in this thread have a persecution complex? They're just phones and apps, jesus :psyduck:
Don't be obtuse for the sake of appearing like an objective third party.

If you seriously think people feel persecuted rather than amused by iPhone users being upset about Android having instagram, you need to calibrate your models of other people.

As it is, the most likely explanation is you're being willfully obtuse.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Don't be obtuse for the sake of appearing like an objective third party.

If you seriously think people feel persecuted rather than amused by iPhone users being upset about Android having instagram, you need to calibrate your models of other people.

As it is, the most likely explanation is you're being willfully obtuse.

It all just reeks of "Wahh iPhones are seen as status symbols and Androids aren't :qq: "

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It all just reeks of "Wahh iPhones are seen as status symbols and Androids aren't :qq: "
That assumes any of us actually want our phones to be seen as status symbols.

I have to admit though, if I had a Galaxy Note, I would be endlessly entertained by (not so) slyly showing it off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

He's stating that the Otterbox, despite being an otherwise very rugged and sturdy case, has giant unprotected hole in the back for no functional purpose other than to display the device's Apple logo.

The point being that Apple folks will gladly give up (insist, even) actual protection in order to flaunt their device as a status symbol. Meanwhile, folks like him and I wonder why there's a giant-as-gently caress hole in the back of a rugged case.

The reason I ask is because it's not an Apple thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wait, what? I don't feel persecuted. I'm just basking in the wonder glow of the internet. This is just like the SNES/Genesis days, people arbitrarily choosing sides based on what their parents happened to buy at Montgomery Wards.

SNES was better, though.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have to admit though, if I had a Galaxy Note, I would be endlessly entertained by (not so) slyly showing it off.

I had a Note for a week and on four separate occassions, I had random people in public stop and ask me what it was. One lady kept saying "Oh, that's a tiny iPad you can draw own."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really doubt anyone here actually gives a poo poo about it beyond how hilarious it is that a small subset of iphone users are getting their skinny jeans in a bunch over some dumb camera app.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

They actually made an otterbox for the one guy who ever bought a Dell phone?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

They actually made an otterbox for the one guy who ever bought a Dell phone?

:suicide:

Uh, I mean, yeah; that's Cakefool's phone, what an idiot!

You know they sold really well in Europe for 6 months before Dell's messy abortion of a Best Buy-based US launch, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Splizwarf posted:

:aaa:

I hope they're not all like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ha, gently caress you buddy, I'm the idiot who bought a red one. I can pass it off as an etch-a-sketch :smug:

Edit: the logo fell off mine, I wouldn't want a hole in the back of the case.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 4, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What I meant, though, was that, unlike Apple, I'd be stunned if Dell had the pull to tell Otterbox they better make sure the logo was left visible.

More likely, in both Apple and Dell's case (ha), the Otterbox guys said "hey, you know what'd look cool?". The center of the back is probably the least vulnerable place on a phone, and the curves around the logo are structurally reinforcing to the whole back of the shell. It's less likely to flex than a blank flat sheet of the same size and material.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Droid 4 Otterbox doesn't have a cutout for the Motorola logo so there. :smug:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This comment pretty much sums up how I and every other android user I have talked to about Instagram feel about it

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
When are we getting Photosynth :colbert:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had a Note for a week and on four separate occassions, I had random people in public stop and ask me what it was. One lady kept saying "Oh, that's a tiny iPad you can draw own."

Why only a week? Did you not like it?

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Honestly, picplz is still a much better app than Instagram; it just sucks that it doesn't have a much larger userbase. Here's just a couple of points that makes it better to me:

• Pics taken within the app save both filtered and unfiltered versions.
  • You can actually browse through user's photos on a web browser unlike Instagram.
  • They don't force you to crop your photo into a 1:1 square.

The only real difference are the filters and some frames.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I get that there are objectively better camera apps out there, but after one day of using Instagram, the user base alone is enough of a reason for me to stick with it. I had no idea how many of my friends were using this, and also that there was a social networking facet to it.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
Anybody tried the new Swiftkey Beta 3 yet? It fixes a lot of the issues I was having before with Swiftkey.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AnimalChin posted:

Why only a week? Did you not like it?

No, I liked it, but I purchased it from Amazon along with the flip cover for about $725. I liked it a lot though. Right after I bought it though I decided instead to buy some tools, so I returned it and got a GNex for $450. I found a guy that was liquidating an entire wood shop/mechanic shop of tools, and I really wanted to buy a nice table saw and some other tools, but I couldn't justify buying myself $700 worth of phone, and then another $500 in tools.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I've been using Google Listen as my podcast app but have had some problems with playback randomly stopping. I'm looking for a new app for podcasts now. Doggcatcher appears to be the favorite, but do downloaded podcasts show up in Play Music? That's something that bothered Mr about other podcast apps I tried out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Macintosh posted:

I've been using Google Listen as my podcast app but have had some problems with playback randomly stopping. I'm looking for a new app for podcasts now. Doggcatcher appears to be the favorite, but do downloaded podcasts show up in Play Music? That's something that bothered Mr about other podcast apps I tried out.

From when podcast apps were discussed a few days ago, I think Pocket Casts was the favorite. It has an "add to playlist" option that I haven't played with that may do what you want.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
I can confirm that podcasts downloaded with pocketcast don't show up in the normal music players.

I use the playlist feature a lot, and it is my favorite feature.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BearQuake posted:

I can confirm that podcasts downloaded with pocketcast don't show up in the normal music players.

I use the playlist feature a lot, and it is my favorite feature.

So if it doesn't add them to playlists visible to other players, what does it do?

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure, they seem to be stored on my SD card as mp3s, with number strings a names.

They do not show up in any of the music apps I have installed. N7 player, play, double twist.

Magic? Maybe I didn't understand the question?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BearQuake posted:

I'm not sure, they seem to be stored on my SD card as mp3s, with number strings a names.

They do not show up in any of the music apps I have installed. N7 player, play, double twist.

Magic? Maybe I didn't understand the question?

This is funny. One or both of us doesn't understand what the other is saying/asking.

You said the playlist feature is your favorite feature and then you say you're not sure what it does.

BearQuake
Oct 22, 2008
Ooh, I was referring to the built in playlist feature of the pocket cast app. It allows you to set the order of downloaded podcasts so that once one ends another will start. I love the feature, because it means I don't need to touch the phone while driving to select a new episode.

I think I mucked this up. The original poster was concerned that downloaded podcasts would show up in other apps. I confirmed that this was not true, but then proceeded to talk about a feature that he didn't ask about.

UncleNaughtyFingers
Apr 29, 2008
I use Doggcatcher along with Poweramp, podcasts are not picked up in Poweramp because I don't have it search those folders.
I was using Pocket Casts since it was a Amazon AOTD, after it started acting up I ended up buying DC from recommendations in the previous thread, for some reason it has fallen out of favor, I feel like I'm all alone :-(
DC can be a bit complicated with all of it's options but it's never gave me any problems.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I always thought BeyondPod was the preferred podcast app. It certainly fits my needs. I used to use Doggcatcher and podcasts definitely showed up in other apps, thought there might be a toggle to stop this.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Haha, I have the same combination.

It was half price because no one wanted it and is like the only modern device in existence with a transflective screen, which makes it basically priceless for airborne people of all sorts.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

UncleNaughtyFingers posted:

I use Doggcatcher along with Poweramp, podcasts are not picked up in Poweramp because I don't have it search those folders.
I was using Pocket Casts since it was a Amazon AOTD, after it started acting up I ended up buying DC from recommendations in the previous thread, for some reason it has fallen out of favor, I feel like I'm all alone :-(
DC can be a bit complicated with all of it's options but it's never gave me any problems.

No dude, I am a Doggcatcher guy myself. I agree with you it has almost more options than you need but it works loving great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'll always whore for ACast due to its simplicity. It's as close to Google Music as I got after several podcast apps that just had too much going on.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

DashingGentleman posted:

a transflective screen

This is supposedly one of the reasons it got picked up by the DoD, too. And now we are three. :hfive::hf::kimchi:

Cakefool, how did you even get a red one? I thought they were black-only and EOLed here and in the UK before the red ones came out in Japan (and white only made it to mainland Asia, I think).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought it direct from Dell, it worked out better to buy it outright then get the sim-only plan that suited me for £10/month, plus I got to choose outrageously camp red & pay £5 for a second years warranty :v:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This might not be the right thread for this, but I am looking for an app. The may only works with rooted devices I'm sure.

I want an app that will let me increase the volume output of my headphone plugin past what it is capable of doing.

Edit: \/ \/ \/ Do you know of any other apps that can do this, but don't have features locked away behind the screen of a pro version?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2012

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SlayVus posted:

This might not be the right thread for this, but I am looking for an app. The may only works with rooted devices I'm sure.

I want an app that will let me increase the volume output of my headphone plugin past what it is capable of doing.

Volume+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Edit: \/ \/ \/ Do you know of any other apps that can do this, but don't have features locked away behind the screen of a pro version?
To simply increase the volume past its maximum you don't need the pro version.

• Locked thread