Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Most producers that use controllers are just using that as the easiest way to play their own stuff and have already tailored it for traktor to be awesome. Don't really consider them the same as a open format DJ.

Sure but then I guess the/our/your problem with people using controllers has more to do with demographics than skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Muck and Mire posted:

name names bro, who was the last wack controller DJ you saw here in SF?

Yeah I'm curious to hear this too, I'm in the bay area and I've seen a ton of great DJs on controllers in the past month even. I know you just said "all of them" but I'd be really curious what shows you go to. Off the top of my head I can say that Jacques Greene was amazing at 1015 Folsom, and Stanton Warriors at Public Works was out of control, but I'm not sure if they were using a controller or vinyl, and it doesn't really matter to me.

And to put things in perspective, I've been collecting records since I was a kid, and DJing exclusively on vinyl up until a couple weeks ago. I've played a ton of house parties, and had a regular weekly Soul 45 night for years at Ruby Room. At most of places I've played over the years, nobody really kept their turntables too nice, and they got wrecked by a lot of DJs, that's just what happens in a club/bar.

Also, where do you DJ? I'd love to come check you out sometime, for reals

reichsten fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 3, 2012

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
My favourite part about people hating on controllers is finding out that their favourite DJs all use Traktor or Ableton.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

Also, where do you DJ? I'd love to come check you out sometime, for reals

This isn't creepy at all or anything.

Firaga posted:

My favourite part about people hating on controllers is finding out that their favourite DJs all use Traktor or Ableton.

My favorite DJ is DJ Sneak, he only uses vinyl

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

My favorite DJ is DJ Sneak, he only uses vinyl

I was just talking in general, I hear this argument at least once a night when I go out.

And why would that be creepy? You're a DJ your name is everywhere anyway. You don't have to give the guy your home address.

Edit: Sneak oh it all makes sense this argument is just as stupid as him calling SHM out on twitter.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 3, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Uh okay, typically it's not that weird to promote your shows, especially to people that might actually be interested

Edit: how about you just post some of your mixes? I'm seriously very curious to hear your DJing

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's not really creepy for goons to meet up.

I'm not participating in this argument though because I don't know anything.

Anyways, I want to improve my mixing abilities. My usual transitions are usually either gradually bringing in mids highs or lows or some combination of the three over 32 or 64 beats and I try to only make big switches over on 32 beat. Or I'll drop in the bass or bass/treble on a 32 beat and work at bringing in the rest over more time. I can kind of drop mix but it can sound weird at times (usually just experiment with this). I also sometimes start with loops on a song to bring it in (usually the first or last four beats of every 32 in the song) and try to make it fit.

I guess I'm just asking for advice on what else I can do or what you guys do. I also feel like I'm missing out by not using cues very much, I try to set cues where I usually start to mix in on a song so I don't have to find it when I load up the song but I'm sure there are more purposes.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

It's odd to me that you guys think I have some kind of deeply invested interest in preserving/proving some nonexistent namesake in a DJ integrity pissing contest on The Something Awful Forums.

quote:

It's not really creepy for goons to meet up.

I'm not interested in meeting up with people from the internet.

quote:

Anyways, I want to improve my mixing abilities. My usual transitions are usually either gradually bringing in mids highs or lows or some combination of the three over 32 or 64 beats and I try to only make big switches over on 32 beat. Or I'll drop in the bass or bass/treble on a 32 beat and work at bringing in the rest over more time. I can kind of drop mix but it can sound weird at times (usually just experiment with this). I also sometimes start with loops on a song to bring it in (usually the first or last four beats of every 32 in the song) and try to make it fit.

I guess I'm just asking for advice on what else I can do or what you guys do. I also feel like I'm missing out by not using cues very much, I try to set cues where I usually start to mix in on a song so I don't have to find it when I load up the song but I'm sure there are more purposes.

I set up cues on songs to know which part of the songs I want to cut in/out of, and mixing windows. It helps a lot when you have a massive library and you're mixing in and out of stuff every few minutes and don't have time to listen/cue stuff up.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's odd to me that you guys think I have some kind of deeply invested interest in preserving/proving some nonexistent namesake in a DJ integrity pissing contest on The Something Awful Forums.

I don't think you're that invested, you're just a dick talking out of your rear end and I'm calling you out a little bit.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
this thread got weird fast

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

bedtime for dogs posted:

this thread got weird fast

Yea, I'm done with this thread. Apparently saying anything that might upset controller DJs leads to a massive influx of poo poo posting.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
DJ cred is funny emptyquote this if you agree

E: to add to the flames here is DJ Sneak using CDJs, not sure what that means to anybody.
http://www.be-at.tv/brands/wmc/shelborne-hotel/dj-mag-recession-sessions/dj-sneak.go

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 3, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"yo i wanna hear you spin, what venues do you frequent?"

"GET AWAY FROM ME YOU STALKERS"

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

We may be able to salvage this thread yet...

I think OG KUSH BLUNTS might have had a point, if only that turntables are on their way out. Fabric and Pacha and those other world-class clubs are always going to have a pair but I feel like your run-of-the-mill bar or tiny club might stop maintaining them, if they do in the first place. It's a feedback loop too, in that people start using controllers because they're so used to turntables being hosed up and so clubs/bars put less emphasis on the turntables because all of their DJs come in with controllers anyway. As new people get into DJing they're probably going to invest in a controller, even the good ones are about half what you'd spend on a turntable/mixer/serato setup.

P.S. Sneak played CDs when I saw him a couple of years ago.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer
I've only been mixing for about a year now and I've decided I want to get a turntable setup instead of a controller, because most of the controller DJs I know aren't very good and the good promoters around here don't book controller DJs.

Also because I love the way records feel.

Oh god, am I weird? Is there any hope for me? Help me goons :smith:.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I started with vinyl in 99, and now I'm really enjoying my controller. There are so many awesome things to do with these gizmos. In particular, I really like using Ableton for sets - so much control, so many nifty tricks. I do miss the feel of pinching the spindle just a tiny bit to line up beats, though. That was nice.

Anyway, here's DJ Sneak playing a set on CDs last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDtsqgJhAds

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I also have been DJing vinyl since around that time, and there are obviously things that I miss about it, but I'm thinking of digital as a tool and trying to figure out what I can do with digital that I couldn't with vinyl.

Off the bat, my transitions are WAY longer, and I can cue things so quickly that I'm almost always playing two tracks at once. One big limiting factor of records is that you physically need to move them around, and it takes time to cue up the needle, etc. Also, there's a lot of songs that don't have a clear beginning, like a pad intro with no rhythm. On vinyl I could literally not time some songs to come in right at the start, so you lose the intro pad and start from the first beat. With digital, I can make cue points so that I know where to start, 16 bars before a drum hit. Pitch shifting is also nice, although I don't really use it much, it's still easier to just hear if a key is working or not.

As for vinyl purism, the entry bar was already lowered when labels started doing tons of reissues in the 90s and 2000s. Back when it was all vinyl, you had to really find your copy of a record, because it was out of print and there were only 1000 in the world. Once all the old rare poo poo started getting massive reissue runs, the thrill of the hunt kind of died right there for me. I don't personally collect reissues for the most part, but why would I DJ a $50 record at a house party where it will get beer spilled on it when I can invest 10 bucks in a reissue that nobody will know the difference?

Anyway vinyl is great, controllers are great, all DJ's are terrible, music sucks, etc etc.

Muck and Mire posted:

I think OG KUSH BLUNTS might have had a point, if only that turntables are on their way out.

I don't think anyone is arguing against that. This is a big reason why many people (including me) made the switch.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Yea, I'm done with this thread. Apparently saying anything that might upset controller DJs leads to a massive influx of poo poo posting.

You're posting on somethingawful and you literally said "all controller DJs are lovely" and "gently caress Club Controller DJs". You started this shitstorm, don't pretend it's not your fault.

What you said was just as loving retarded as ye' olde CD vs Vinyl debates

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm addressing the guy ITT who is pining for "the old class of DJs." Which parties are you going to in SF, btw? I see plenty of controllers here, I know plenty of people who use them, and I've never noticed a difference between the two groups.

Have we met?? What clubs do you typically go to in SF? :)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

mitztronic posted:

Have we met?? What clubs do you typically go to in SF? :)

What a creep!

But for real, are there any good regular Techno / Tech-house nights in the bay area? I go to a lot of "headliner" DJ shows at places like Public Works, 1015 Folsom, Mezzanine, Mighty, but I'm looking for like a monthly or something with local DJs.

Edit: VVVVV perfect thanks! Looks like Pete Tong is coming to Vessel this weekend, might have to go to that...

reichsten fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 3, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

JohnnyMondo posted:

What a creep!

But for real, are there any good regular Techno / Tech-house nights in the bay area? I go to a lot of "headliner" DJ shows at places like Public Works, 1015 Folsom, Mezzanine, Mighty, but I'm looking for like a monthly or something with local DJs.

Weekly @ Vessel for techno. Really, the only local dj only events I know of are the stuff Taj throws "Local Love". I think you can find those http://www.djtaj.com/

I don't think they really do techno/tech house. Vessel sounds like it would be perfect for you, they usually have local openers, and it's never expensive.

It's small though - maybe 200-300 max.

It seems like vessel's lineup doesnt really have much coming up, though.

e: another club is Monarch, it's new (remodeled), fairly young, friendly crowd. Mid-20s... They play techno/minimal/tech house type stuff. I've only been there once, I believe tiefschwarz is playing soon, though? It's even smaller than vessel

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2012

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

JohnnyMondo posted:

What a creep!

Edit: VVVVV perfect thanks! Looks like Pete Tong is coming to Vessel this weekend, might have to go to that...

Doesn't dirtybird rock a residency somewhere in SF?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I saw Umek at vessel a couple years ago and loved it. Funktion1 sound, cheap drinks and super friendly staff.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Of course I catch up on this thread when the vinyl vs controller debate is done. :(

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

keevo posted:

Of course I catch up on this thread when the vinyl vs controller debate is done. :(
I'm sure it will return in due time. :)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Longtiem posted:

Doesn't dirtybird rock a residency somewhere in SF?

They do a monthly (I think?) at Mezzanine

I believe they still occasionally do their golden gate park parties during the summer too

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

keevo posted:

I think calling it a debate is pretty generous...

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

fordan posted:

I think calling it a debate is pretty generous...

It's such a stupid "debate" to begin with anyways. Fighting over mediums of art is stupid and that's all there is to it.

"Oh, you paint with acrylic? Only oil painting is REAL painting"
"Oh, you sing tenor? Only baritones are real singers"
"Oh, you write novels on a computer? Real writers use typewriters"

A stupid, stupid, stupid thing to fight about. Content is all that matters, deliver it how you want to.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I don't think the argument was about "this medium is better than that medium" but more of an observation that "the barrier to entry for medium X is quite low, which leads to ignorance, and a larger number of folks who have worked a smaller number of hours because it's arguably easier to learn than medium Y"

I think the frustration of the medium Y folks stems from this growing desire for instant gratification, which is increasingly more common among young whippersnappers. The kid who sets her controller on top of a pair of 1200s is just used to getting what she wants when she wants it, so "I want to mix tracks right now oh hay push buttan" is coming from the same place as "I need a table for this right now oh hay turntables".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is anyone going to the DMC Bay Area Regionals? I've been to several of them in the past but the all ages crowd + it will probably take even longer than before to get everyone's laptops/interfaces connected makes it less appealing.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

epswing posted:

I don't think the argument was about "this medium is better than that medium" but more of an observation that "the barrier to entry for medium X is quite low, which leads to ignorance, and a larger number of folks who have worked a smaller number of hours because it's arguably easier to learn than medium Y"

I think the frustration of the medium Y folks stems from this growing desire for instant gratification, which is increasingly more common among young whippersnappers. The kid who sets her controller on top of a pair of 1200s is just used to getting what she wants when she wants it, so "I want to mix tracks right now oh hay push buttan" is coming from the same place as "I need a table for this right now oh hay turntables".

Oh, I totally agree.. I think we're hitting on the same point from two different angles.

Your use of the feminine pronoun brings up something I find interesting - a lack of female DJs. There are 3 or 4 female DJs in my city who get regular playtime (compared to 50-60 males) and I almost never see new girls gettin' their spin on (or trying to). What gives?

Or is this one of those things guys do to get laid that girls don't need to?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rickets posted:

Or is this one of those things guys do to get laid that girls don't need to?

Much like motorcycles :v:

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I'm getting pretty bored with DJing, so much that I put my technics up for sale to see who would bite. I got about half a dozen emails but noone actually came to pick them up.

Right now I'm just producing music but I would really love to just own a pair of CDJs and mix CDs without Serato. I even put in my ad that if you wanted to do a straight up trade for CDJ800MK2s, I'd be down to do that. I guess it's the challenge of knowing your music that much more, and instead of carrying a thousand remixes of a track I'd just carry the few good ones.

Also I think it's really cool to see people spin with CDs. You actually have to concentrate a bit and tell people to gently caress off instead of just lining poo poo up in Serato for 5 seconds making sure it's beatmatched then waiting around, pretending to fiddle with the knobs, to mix the track in.

I guess you could say that I hit a plateau, and I want to take things to the next level.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I really love my CDJs. I'd recommend getting the newer generation that can read off USB drives. It's nice to not need to burn CDs.

Oh, and that Dirtybird residency at Mezzanine is quarterly. The next one is sometime in May I believe.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

epswing posted:

This. Mixed with the thing that people I meet nowadays asking questions about 'the game' all seem to desire to become a 'DJ', while the previous generations just wanted to play out their music. DJ's used to be the geeks in the corner, what happend to that?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sjoewe posted:

This. Mixed with the thing that people I meet nowadays asking questions about 'the game' all seem to desire to become a 'DJ', while the previous generations just wanted to play out their music. DJ's used to be the geeks in the corner, what happend to that?

Yeah. As much as I encourage all folks to engage with musical endeavours, I must confess to snarling a bit internally when I encounter people who say they want to be a DJ but when asked what kind of music they want to play respond with "don't know, whatever's popular - I hear dubstep and electro is big right now."

This has happened a few times to me in the last month. What's the point if you're not passionate about the music and haven't cultivated some form of selective taste you want to share? (Yeah, yeah: fame, fortune and groupies. Good luck with that, starry eyed dreamer.)

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Dopo posted:

I really love my CDJs. I'd recommend getting the newer generation that can read off USB drives. It's nice to not need to burn CDs.

Oh, and that Dirtybird residency at Mezzanine is quarterly. The next one is sometime in May I believe.

I tried to go to the last one but the line was down the block by 10 pm and not moving at all from what I could tell. Not trying to wait in line in the cold for 2 hours, sorry Claude

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Sjoewe posted:

DJ's used to be the geeks in the corner, what happend to that?

Well I don't know about that, DJs always used to be the cool ones. This was before producers really started having to DJ too. MCs used to sometimes edge it but even then.

The thing is to be a good DJ I think you had to be the anti-geek really. You had to hustle and make connections, talk to promoters (and most importantly get paid! A lot if possible), chat up the girl behind the record shop counter to get those promos, talk to producers get those exclusive tracks on DAT so you could get those dubplates cut. You couldn't just sit in your room twiddling knobs, ignoring the phone and just download what's new off a website and call it a day. That's what producers did!

Of course that's dealing within actual music scenes of various sizes. There's always been the guys who'd sit back, get those record pool Top 40 CDs of the month and play the local pub or club, maybe an 18th birthday or whatever but that's kinda different.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Maybe in hiphop, but certainly not in electronica. Just look up some old photo's and you'll get all the proof you need.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Sjoewe posted:

DJ's used to be the geeks in the corner, what happend to that?

I believe you're posting on a forum full of them :D

The geeks are what's pushing controllerism forward..hell, controllerism is a result of the geeks looking for newer, better, easier ways of getting your music playing the way you want to play it. Look at guys like Ean Golden for all the proof you need.

The cool guys stay with what they know, what keeps them successful. The geeks are always looking for something that works better for them, pushing the envelope, doing something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Sjoewe posted:

Maybe in hiphop, but certainly not in electronica. Just look up some old photo's and you'll get all the proof you need.

Wasn't talking about hip-hop. And I'd say Hawtin was one of those slightly rarer breeds back then - a producer who also DJ'd. Didn't happen nearly as much as it does nowadays, I guess because record sales used to be able make you some sort money (though not exactly millions).