Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

DropShadow posted:

I'm so confused. The front end screams 8P A3 from the headlights, grill and hood. The doors also have the profile of an A3, while the A4 has relatively flat doors.

A3:

A4 Avant:

I need to see a profile pic of this car.

Compare the front bumper on peter gabriel's car to the front bumper on the A4 Avant you posted, specifically the fog lamp surrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The Avant I posted is a non-S-line, but the one on his car does look like the B7 A4 S-line bumper on my own car. However, the headlights are definitely not B7 headlights. Further, it has flush roof rails like the A3, not the kind that stand off the roof like the ones on the B7 Avant in my garage.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 3, 2012

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
This Audi post is a real mindfuck. The car looks like an A3 Sportback in the exterior shots, yet the interior is undoubtedly from an A4.

It makes my brain hurt.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

Picked it up on 3/10. Quality control blows but it sure is fun to drive.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Hermansen posted:

This Audi post is a real mindfuck. The car looks like an A3 Sportback in the exterior shots, yet the interior is undoubtedly from an A4.

It makes my brain hurt.

Exactly. That interior is definitely B6/B7.

Just noticed that the towhook cover on the car he posted is in a different place than the B7 as well, more in line with where it is on the A3.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

turnerburna posted:

Picked it up on 3/10. Quality control blows but it sure is fun to drive.

I can't help but gawk at Challengers. The styling is just *dead on* for what a throwback muscle/pony car should be. What an awesome car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

turnerburna posted:

Call me old but looks-wise I sure like it more than the rx-7 we've been fawning over. I'd rather drive the rx7 in anything other than a straight line, but the nearest drag strip is a lot closer than the nearest race track. Cool car turnerburna.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kyon posted:

Picked this up today :)

I keep wondering, how much does a decent FD run? Both purchase cost and cost of ownership (per year lets say). I know pretty much nothing about maintaining cars myself, but I've pledged myself that I WILL own an FD some day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I keep wondering, how much does a decent FD run? Both purchase cost and cost of ownership (per year lets say). I know pretty much nothing about maintaining cars myself, but I've pledged myself that I WILL own an FD some day.

I often wish Mazda had offered one with a different power plant but I guess that would have been against the very idea of the RX7.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Rhyno posted:

I often wish Mazda had offered one with a different power plant but I guess that would have been against the very idea of the RX7.

That is kind of like saying "I wish I could get that Ferrari with a LS1" because maintaining the Italian v12 is a bitch. Like you said it goes against the very idea of the RX7. That being said an LSx goes into the FD chassis very nicely! There used to be one in baton rouge that ran mid 10's on pump gas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paul Boz_ posted:

That is kind of like saying "I wish I could get that Ferrari with a LS1" because maintaining the Italian v12 is a bitch. Like you said it goes against the very idea of the RX7. That being said an LSx goes into the FD chassis very nicely! There used to be one in baton rouge that ran mid 10's on pump gas.

What if I did want a Ferrari with an LS1? It'd be easier to work on!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

What if I did want a Ferrari with an LS1? It'd be easier to work on!

Didn't some guy have an f430 once where the engine blew and Ferrari wouldn't replace it so he stuck a twin turbo LS1 in it?

Edit: it was a 360: http://jalopnik.com/5792518/awesome-1000-horsepower-chevy-powered-ferrari-360-is-awesome

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DropShadow posted:

The Avant I posted is a non-S-line, but the one on his car does look like the B7 A4 S-line bumper on my own car. However, the headlights are definitely not B7 headlights. Further, it has flush roof rails like the A3, not the kind that stand off the roof like the ones on the B7 Avant in my garage.

OK, so I just popped outside and took a phone pic of the A4 - it really does look like an A3 on the pics earlier, so hopefully this'll clear it up.
As you can see the roof bars aren't flush, they just look it in the other pics, here have a crappy phone pic :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
But that's a different car?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy poo poo...
OK, here's what happened - the pics I posted earlier on were off the dealer, they had 3 cars for sale at the time, and I have gone and posted the wrong drat pics.
I'll edit them in here (the right ones) if / when I dig them out. The interior is right, the external pics not so much!
If anyone wants more pics I'll just go take some, sorry about that guys, I am pretty ashamed right now.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 3, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kyon posted:

They were an optional extra from Mazda in Japan, so I'm not sure if any U.S. RX-7s got rear seats.

I would barely call them "seats" anyway:

We got some first gens in 2+2, not sure about any other gen.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

peter gabriel posted:

Holy poo poo...
OK, here's what happened - the pics I posted earlier on were off the dealer, they had 3 cars for sale at the time, and I have gone and posted the wrong drat pics.
I'll edit them in here (the right ones) if / when I dig them out. The interior is right, the external pics not so much!
If anyone wants more pics I'll just go take some, sorry about that guys, I am pretty ashamed right now.

We were all pretty confused for a while. At least you actually came back to the thread to clear stuff up, not like that MSPaint thread about pissing on the ceiling a few years back.

CharlesM posted:

We got some first gens in 2+2, not sure about any other gen.

The FC also had a 2+2 option, but not on the turbos.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ha, yeah I remember the MS paint thread.
I am waiting for the dealer to resend all the pics as they are really nice.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Kyon posted:

Picked this up today :)

This is what I imagine im getting into every day. drat my slightly more sensible choice.

And yours is in white too :swoon:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

turnerburna posted:

Beautiful, I think they're the best looking new muscle car our of the Mustang and Camaro.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Holy poo poo...

Much better. Congrats on the car. I've had mine for three years and can't imagine owning anything but a wagon now. If you go back a couple pages, I posted a recent pic of it, but here are some others: http://a4avant.tumblr.com

Have any mod plans for it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DropShadow posted:

Much better. Congrats on the car. I've had mine for three years and can't imagine owning anything but a wagon now. If you go back a couple pages, I posted a recent pic of it, but here are some others: http://a4avant.tumblr.com

Have any mod plans for it?

Ahh, yours is pretty much mine apart from the wheels, and your photography shows it off very nicely.

As for mods, none on the outside - I love it the way it is and the wheels I have tap into my 5 year old self and the posters of 308 Ferraris with 5 spokes, I think that's why I like em so much, daft I know.

Inside I am thinking about getting the sat nav / media centre installed and that's about it, it has bluetooth so my phone connects to the car etc so that's all great but yup, the media centre would be nice.

How are you finding yours? Mine makes me grin when I plant my foot down at 60mph and it just pullllllls!

I'm finding the driving position really good too and the small chunky leather wheel is just brilliant, makes it feel nimbler than it probably is.

lovely car by the way ;)

Trace
Apr 3, 2012

Never believe anything in politics until it is officially denied... In fact, Just to be safe, Never believe anything. Ever. We're out to get you. We're tracing every move you make right now. Standby.
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6.
Boosted, of course. Excuse the bra, she's a little shy ;)

2.7l Turbo'd V6

Trace fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 3, 2012

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Here is our complete driveway, each car has a very distinct use.

03 evo, lots of money sunk into it, 480whp before the meth. It is a teleporter. If you mash the gas you are instantly as far away as you can see and standing on the incredible brakes. It goes around corners like it is on rails until you goose the throttle and then the back end steps out. If you lift in a corner the only real way to save it is to stand on the gas.
97 m3 coupe, pretty rough around the edges, but great fun to drive. Its the next car to get money thrown at it.

Here is our runabout a 1979 vw rabbit. We are the second owners ever and its just great.

We both rotate through the cars during the week, the misses prefers the bmw and the rabbit but takes the evo when she has the kiddo. I tend to drive the evo to work in the dry and the m3 in the wet. The rabbit rarely goes farther than the market and is the best in the snow. Ill take some interior and engine bay pictures later on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the Evo on summers? I'd think it'd be otherwise better than the Rabbit in snow.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Is the Evo on summers? I'd think it'd be otherwise better than the Rabbit in snow.

Snow is very rough on the car, the driver and anyone else on the road. The Evo is very high-strung with big cams, a multi-plate clutch and large turbo. You really need to keep the revs up to keep it happy and that makes it a bit too exciting for around town snow use.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Right, I had the pics resent!

I'm sure you'll see where the confusion came from, here they are from the dealer...

And also, this just arrived this week, Mercedes SE to be stripped, repainted etc etc...

I'll get more details and pics of this soon, it's already totally stripped inside and out.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Ill take some interior and engine bay pictures later on.

These can't come soon enough.

Sweet rides.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

bird cooch posted:

Travis?

I'd post my car but the video of the fire damage is already in the horrible mechanical failures thread :shobon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

peter gabriel posted:

And also, this just arrived this week, Mercedes SE to be stripped, repainted etc etc...

I'll get more details and pics of this soon, it's already totally stripped inside and out.

Which motor does it have? My parents had one of those during the 90s, an absolute tank, but would leak water like a sieve

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You Am I posted:

Which motor does it have? My parents had one of those during the 90s, an absolute tank, but would leak water like a sieve

It's had an engine swap, it's got a 5 cylinder diesel, runs well enough although there are plenty of holes around the engine bay where the previous engines bits and bobs were bolted on.
Body is pretty sound overall. I'm getting a quote on a leather interior retrim tomorrow.

Edit: This engine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM602_engine

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 4, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

bird cooch posted:

Here is our complete driveway, each car has a very distinct use.

03 evo, lots of money sunk into it, 480whp before the meth. It is a teleporter. If you mash the gas you are instantly as far away as you can see and standing on the incredible brakes. It goes around corners like it is on rails until you goose the throttle and then the back end steps out. If you lift in a corner the only real way to save it is to stand on the gas.
97 m3 coupe, pretty rough around the edges, but great fun to drive. Its the next car to get money thrown at it.

Is that a sedan fender or something on the M3? The moulding between the door/fender is way off.

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I usually don't have anything to add to this forum, but this was too uncanny to pass up. This is the last view I had of my old car:

A 1979 280SE. Which would, incidentally, also fit as my entry in the AI's first car thread.

My current car is mildly different, although I have no pictures of it on the computer I'm at, so you'll have to do with this partially obscured picture of it that someone took last year for now.

(The GTR) Also, it looks like the tires are stretched on there, but it's an illusion. They're actually 245/40/17's on a 9" rim, and I have 255/40's on it now.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Dinosorcerer posted:

I usually don't have anything to add to this forum

Dinosorcerer posted:

[R32 GTR]

Oh, okay. :what: :fh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dinosorcerer posted:

I usually don't have anything to add to this forum, but this was too uncanny to pass up. This is the last view I had of my old car:

A 1979 280SE. Which would, incidentally, also fit as my entry in the AI's first car thread.

Woah!
Give me a few weeks and hopefully I'll be posting pics of it in that condition!

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Is that a sedan fender or something on the M3? The moulding between the door/fender is way off.

the door molding is currently inside the car.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Dinosorcerer posted:

My current car is mildly different, although I have no pictures of it on the computer I'm at, so you'll have to do with this partially obscured picture of it that someone took last year for now.

(The GTR) Also, it looks like the tires are stretched on there, but it's an illusion. They're actually 245/40/17's on a 9" rim, and I have 255/40's on it now.

Just out of curiosity; are you from US or CA?

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

travisray2004 posted:

Just out of curiosity; are you from US or CA?

i'd say neither since all the cars he posted are RHD. i'd have to guess either AUS or NZ.

post more pics of your R32!

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011
Yep, Australian. I'll dig up some pictures when I get home tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I love you for driving an R32