Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is a really dumb question and might not even be the best thread for it, but I'm not sure where to post this. I have an extremely limited understanding of how email actually works, and right my company is looking to switch to another provider for creating & sending newsletters.

In one of the emails, a rep. from the new company we'll be moving to said:
"If you used a hosted version link in the emails you sent through them, I would find out from them if those ever get removed"

What exactly is meant by "hosted version"? Is that simply how like some emails say, "Can't view our emails? Click here instead" and it takes you to a webpage that has the same content as the email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naes
Jun 20, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

What version of outlook and exchange are you using?

The user's computer has outlook 2007 on it and the server is running Exchange 2003.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Naes posted:

EDIT: Well I did a bit of reading and it says that I need to enable Outlook Anywhere for the exchange account on the PC I want to use it on, only problem is there is no exchange account on that laptop. I have been TRYING to add the exchange account but it never adds, no matter what combination of domain/server etc I try. So basically, I can't use outlook anywhere until the account is added to the computer??

if the outlook client fails that's fine, it will fail and then you enable outlook anywhere, and it should work. So like it fails, and will say "work offline" / "retry" / "Cancel", pick work offline to get to the prompts.

make sure to do BASIC AUTHENTICATION when setting up in the thing.

should look something like this:

(note the outlook anywhere address is probably your OWA address, but the exchange server address you enter earlier might be different... like mailserver01.company.local vs. mail.company.com or whatever)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sab669 posted:

This is a really dumb question and might not even be the best thread for it, but I'm not sure where to post this. I have an extremely limited understanding of how email actually works, and right my company is looking to switch to another provider for creating & sending newsletters.

In one of the emails, a rep. from the new company we'll be moving to said:
"If you used a hosted version link in the emails you sent through them, I would find out from them if those ever get removed"

What exactly is meant by "hosted version"? Is that simply how like some emails say, "Can't view our emails? Click here instead" and it takes you to a webpage that has the same content as the email?

We use Vertical Response for our email newsletters. IMO it's not a good idea to use your own exchange environment for newsletters since hosted versions let you handle unsusbscribing/subscribing easily and tracks stats like who leaves/joins the list. They also should provide a web version like you described in the last paragraph.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

We use Vertical Response for our email newsletters. IMO it's not a good idea to use your own exchange environment for newsletters since hosted versions let you handle unsusbscribing/subscribing easily and tracks stats like who leaves/joins the list. They also should provide a web version like you described in the last paragraph.

Oh, no, we wouldn't be hosting it on our own server. Like I said, I know gently caress all about email and I'm just trying to understand the terminology better. Wasn't sure if this is where I should ask. And yea, we're switching to Vertical Response :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Figured this might be a good place to put this, even though it's more of a Mac question.

I'm having problems with iCal on one of our user's machines. Basically, whenever they receive an event invitation through Mail, it sends a response but fails to add it to iCal. I also can't get it to invite people to events that have been created, but oddly enough it will send cancellation notices. I've gone ahead and filled in the external server information, but that hasn't helped at all. Google reveals that it's somewhat of a known issue, but not much else.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Not specifically limited to Exchange, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone here have a policy about putting personal cell phones on company email? I finally got out Lotus Traveler server working correctly and want to draft up a policy stating IT can and will wipe a phone if it's lost/stolen/employee leaves. Traveler gives me the option to only wipe itself and any associated data but I want them to sign off in case something goes wrong and the entire phone gets wiped.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wonder_Bread posted:

Not specifically limited to Exchange, but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone here have a policy about putting personal cell phones on company email? I finally got out Lotus Traveler server working correctly and want to draft up a policy stating IT can and will wipe a phone if it's lost/stolen/employee leaves. Traveler gives me the option to only wipe itself and any associated data but I want them to sign off in case something goes wrong and the entire phone gets wiped.

We have our employees sign the following

My Employer posted:

I, __________________________, acknowledge the following by using my personal device to synchronize Company email:

1. I have demonstrated to IS my personal device meets the Current Personal Device Standards listed in the Current Security Standards

2. I will report a lost or stolen device to IS within 24 hours

3. I will not use my personal device to access, store or send Protected Health Information (PHI)

4. Information Services will not provide support for my personal device

5. The Current Personal Device Standards are subject to change without notice

IS has my explicit permission to remotely wipe my personal device in any of the following events:
1. Device is lost or stolen for more than 24 hours

2. I terminate employment with company for any reason

3. My device no longer meet the Current Personal Device Standards listed in the Current Security Standards

A remote device wipe might include any and all data, including that on removable media (e.g. SD cards) from the device, which may result in loss of personal information. I will hold harmless Company for any damage that may arise as a result of my personal device being wiped.
This agreement is effective as of __________________________________ between __________________________ and Company.

The current personal device standards require that the devices meet specific criteria listed as

Current personal device standards posted:

This document provides a high-level list of current security standards for company. Devices used to connect to company network must comply with the security standards outlined herein. The security standards are subject to change without notice.
CURRENT PERSONAL DEVICE STANDARDS
Type
Security Feature

Smart Phone
Enforce device encryption, including encryption of storage cards
Enforce pin/password of 4 characters or greater
Enforce password history
Enforce password expiration (90 days)
Enforce auto-lock after 10 minutes without user input
Enforce auto-wipe after 10 incorrect password entries

Tablets
Enforce device encryption, including encryption of storage cards
Enforce pin/password of 4 characters or greater
Enforce password history
Enforce password expiration (90 days)
Enforce auto-lock after 10 minutes without user input
Enforce auto-wipe after 10 incorrect password entries

In order to have a personal device synchronize email, it must meet certain standards for security purposes. These standards, as posted above, are industry standards. You can contact your carrier or device manufacturer to see if your device qualifies. If they are unable to tell you, consider using the web as device support can change with software upgrades. One resource you may consider is the Wikipedia Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync Clients. Your device should have a green “Yes” in the Exchange ActiveSync 12.0 or 12.1 tables. Some devices do not meet the standards posted above without installing third party software. You will need to contact the software vendor to ensure their software will meet the security standards posted above. If you are not comfortable doing this on your own, it is recommended you pick a device that supports the standards posted above without third party software.

A copy of the signed document is submitted to IS before active sync is enabled on their exchange account and kept on file with HR for the entirety of their employment. We're anal about the mobile encryption requirement because some of our employees, even though it's against policy, send PHI over email :( We give them a one time best effort to get active sync setup on their device, after that they're on their own

Nebulis01 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 19, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Nebulis01 posted:

3. I will not use my personal device to access, store or send Protected Health Information (PHI)

Thanks for sharing this. I have the worst time coming up with these from scratch, so I'll borrow heavy from those.

I'm curious about the rationale behind the quoted point though. Something like that here would make the device useless if it was strictly followed by the user, not to mentioned if they're checking email how could they reasonably prevent other people from sending them PHI. Is it just more of a CYA so that when you get sued you can say you told them not to do it? It seems like all the other security requirements you have in place that PHI would be safe enough on a phone.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I have the worst time coming up with these from scratch, so I'll borrow heavy from those.

I'm curious about the rationale behind the quoted point though. Something like that here would make the device useless if it was strictly followed by the user, not to mentioned if they're checking email how could they reasonably prevent other people from sending them PHI. Is it just more of a CYA so that when you get sued you can say you told them not to do it? It seems like all the other security requirements you have in place that PHI would be safe enough on a phone.

Our lawyer made us place it in there, HIPAA also requires we do a 'best effort' to make sure that portable devices with access to PHI are encrypted. I would love to believe PHI is safe on a phone but rooted devices can falsify flags sent to exchange and tell me 'yes i'm encrypted' but in reality aren't I can't stop thinking about being sued :(

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
That policy is for personal devices. Do you have company devices that do allow access to PHI?

It just seems like the only "effort" that policy has is telling people not to do it, and they are probably doing it anyways. It would be just as effective to say it's OK to access PHI and then tell them not to root their phones to bypass the checks on encryption, locking, etc.

Anyways, I understand the difficulties of dealing with non-technicals when it comes to policy.

Thanks HIPAA :smith:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Naes posted:

The user's computer has outlook 2007 on it and the server is running Exchange 2003.

Configuring RPC over HTTP(S) in Exchange 2003 is not for the inexperienced. This is something they improved greatly in later versions.

This Petri article shows the basic premiss for a single server. But again, if you aren't comfy mucking around, do not attempt to configure this.

Nevergirls outlined the correct method for configuring the client, the only thing I would add is that deploying Exchange in these types of situations without a cert from a trusted CA is scrub tier. At the very least get a starfield cert from godaddy or certificatesforexchagne.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That policy is for personal devices. Do you have company devices that do allow access to PHI?

It just seems like the only "effort" that policy has is telling people not to do it, and they are probably doing it anyways. It would be just as effective to say it's OK to access PHI and then tell them not to root their phones to bypass the checks on encryption, locking, etc.

Anyways, I understand the difficulties of dealing with non-technicals when it comes to policy.

Thanks HIPAA :smith:

We have company issued blackberry devices that we issue to certain users that are allowed to access PHI on internal facing applications since BB users can access the intranet stuff

But yeah, thanks HIPAA and non-technical users :effort:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this seems like a dumb question, but I've been stumped on it for so long I guess I figure I should just ask someone else.

is there a way to move outlook profiles between computers? like, the views, accounts, signatures, everything?

bonus points, with redirected folders on a domain network, is there a way to have profile data sit on a network drive?

I have a large network, where ideally I'd like a user to be able to sit down at any machine, maybe having never even logged on to that machine before, and get the same environment - outlook profile included. probably a pipe dream though.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

this seems like a dumb question, but I've been stumped on it for so long I guess I figure I should just ask someone else.

is there a way to move outlook profiles between computers? like, the views, accounts, signatures, everything?

bonus points, with redirected folders on a domain network, is there a way to have profile data sit on a network drive?

I have a large network, where ideally I'd like a user to be able to sit down at any machine, maybe having never even logged on to that machine before, and get the same environment - outlook profile included. probably a pipe dream though.
Look into roaming profiles.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Some things, yes. See here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/where-does-microsoft-outlook-2010-save-my-information-and-configurations-HP010354943.aspx

everything that's stored in ROAMING you can have saved on a network drive using GPO for folder redirection.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I've got a new Exchange server built for one of our offices and within its first week of use in production, Exchange has eaten some emails and I need to restore them.

Unfortunately, the way this thing is setup isn't straightforward at all. It is running on 2008 SP1 x64 (not R2) and is being backed up by a batch file that instructs Windows Server Backup to take a system state snapshot and move it to a file server where our BackupExec machine picks it up as part of its routine backup of said file server.

Now, I usually handle everything that doesn't involve Windows servers newer than 2003 nor Exchange and I'm the only one that can work on this, so lucky me. What do I need to do to restore the emails for that particular mailbox? I've got the VHD and corresponding XML files and such that I can restore from BackupExec, but should I put them on the Exchange server itself or build up a dummy VM and just restore the whole system state to a clean 08 x64 install? Do I have to run Server Backup to restore from the VHD or is there an application I can use to browse the contents and extract from it? I haven't messed with Exchange in years (as we were running iMail before we were forced to switch), so I'm feeling a bit lost. I'm currently googling around as well, but any help is much appreciated.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nevergirls posted:

Some things, yes. See here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/where-does-microsoft-outlook-2010-save-my-information-and-configurations-HP010354943.aspx

everything that's stored in ROAMING you can have saved on a network drive using GPO for folder redirection.

my understanding of roaming profiles though, is that things like mail accounts and (windows explorer) folder view settings, et cetera don't roam. am I just wrong about this? even if the psts were on a shared drive, a support person would have to recreate the profile, direct it to the pst, and so on.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

my understanding of roaming profiles though, is that things like mail accounts and (windows explorer) folder view settings, et cetera don't roam. am I just wrong about this? even if the psts were on a shared drive, a support person would have to recreate the profile, direct it to the pst, and so on.

Well first of all if you're on exchange why are you using PSTs. Secondly, I'm not sure about roaming profiles, but I am talking about folder redirection. So what you would do is have the Outlook profile set up automatically via GPO, and then once that's done all the other settings listed in the above link should Just Work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nevergirls posted:

Well first of all if you're on exchange why are you using PSTs. Secondly, I'm not sure about roaming profiles, but I am talking about folder redirection. So what you would do is have the Outlook profile set up automatically via GPO, and then once that's done all the other settings listed in the above link should Just Work.

Sorry, I'm just confusing myself and others.

My first question was about migrating mail profiles on random computers not using domains or exchange.

But then my second question was about mail profiles on exchange domains. so whoops again.

but anyways, re: the second question, you're right about using group policy, I've just never done it. I'll research a bit and do it that way. thanks!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

but anyways, re: the second question, you're right about using group policy, I've just never done it. I'll research a bit and do it that way. thanks!

this will probably be the easiest way: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx#BKMK_CreatingPRFFiles

you can do it for older versions of outlook just search for "RPF"

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
I have an interesting issue that is either solvable by script, or not.
I have a client that came on board that had Exchange 2000. As part of the project they were upgraded to 2003, then from there to 2010. Naturally, they use public folders for just about everything.

At some point, the default Contact template was overwritten for all users to always load up a copy of a particular contact (which is using a custom form that has a ton of data already in there) for all users. Resolution is relatively simple - in the folder(s) that exhibit this problem, you can change which form you use such as IPM.Contact. We have a blank template uploaded and set for our admin account and it works. However new users and all the other previous users (of which there are quite a lot) still use the busted one. So the setting user-specific, irrespective of what machine they use to connect so it isn't on the local registry/profile, it has to be in Exchange somewhere.

I've checked into ADSIEdit to see if there is some special flag that sets what this is for accounts, and dug into the Public Folder data but can't find anything useful. Anyone have any ideas or seen something like this? I'm at a point where I will probably have to call Microsoft, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Pvt. Public posted:

I've got a new Exchange server built for one of our offices and within its first week of use in production, Exchange has eaten some emails and I need to restore them.

Unfortunately, the way this thing is setup isn't straightforward at all. It is running on 2008 SP1 x64 (not R2) and is being backed up by a batch file that instructs Windows Server Backup to take a system state snapshot and move it to a file server where our BackupExec machine picks it up as part of its routine backup of said file server.

Now, I usually handle everything that doesn't involve Windows servers newer than 2003 nor Exchange and I'm the only one that can work on this, so lucky me. What do I need to do to restore the emails for that particular mailbox? I've got the VHD and corresponding XML files and such that I can restore from BackupExec, but should I put them on the Exchange server itself or build up a dummy VM and just restore the whole system state to a clean 08 x64 install? Do I have to run Server Backup to restore from the VHD or is there an application I can use to browse the contents and extract from it? I haven't messed with Exchange in years (as we were running iMail before we were forced to switch), so I'm feeling a bit lost. I'm currently googling around as well, but any help is much appreciated.

Short answer: If your backup method doesn't allow for you to perform a granular restore of mailbox items (it doesn't), then you are probably going to have to grab the backed up EDB file and mount it as a recovery database.

Either `restore-mailbox` to a temporary account, or use the fancy-pants new-exportmailboxrequest feature and dump it directly to a PST file.

Then (and this is the important bit) change your backup scheme so that Backup Exec is using an exchange agent and performing backups of the mail database directly. You can keep using windows backup in the manner that you are, but I would configure a secondary Backup Exec job for at least the databases for performing these types of granular restores.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

Short answer: If your backup method doesn't allow for you to perform a granular restore of mailbox items (it doesn't), then you are probably going to have to grab the backed up EDB file and mount it as a recovery database.

Either `restore-mailbox` to a temporary account, or use the fancy-pants new-exportmailboxrequest feature and dump it directly to a PST file.

Then (and this is the important bit) change your backup scheme so that Backup Exec is using an exchange agent and performing backups of the mail database directly. You can keep using windows backup in the manner that you are, but I would configure a secondary Backup Exec job for at least the databases for performing these types of granular restores.

I've been raging about this poo poo backup method since they foisted it upon me. I didn't even want to have to deal with Exchange, but I lost that fight too. Because our president wanted to be able to see everyone's calendar. Yes, really. Goddamnit.

Thanks for the info. That's about what I had figured I needed to do. Sigh.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Pvt. Public posted:

I didn't even want to have to deal with Exchange, but I lost that fight too. Because our president wanted to be able to see everyone's calendar. Yes, really. Goddamnit.

That's a good reason tbh.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Pvt. Public posted:

I've been raging about this poo poo backup method since they foisted it upon me. I didn't even want to have to deal with Exchange, but I lost that fight too. Because our president wanted to be able to see everyone's calendar. Yes, really. Goddamnit.

Coming to an Exchange thread and bitching about Exchange is pretty silly. Your president is smart. Yes, really.

Exchange isn't the problem, the method chosen to back it up is the problem. It's really very easy.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Nevergirls posted:

That's a good reason tbh.

Normally I would agree, except we had the option of doing open calendaring with iMail but Exchange was purchased because it was a name.

Spamtron7000 posted:

Coming to an Exchange thread and bitching about Exchange is pretty silly. Your president is smart. Yes, really.

Exchange isn't the problem, the method chosen to back it up is the problem. It's really very easy.

That's what I was saying, though (about the backup method)? I know Exchange isn't the problem, but the reasons surrounding Exchange were poorly thought out. We don't have a large enough environment to warrant such a fully-featured mail server and there were better options.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2012

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Pvt. Public posted:

Normally I would agree, except we had the option of doing open calendaring with iMail but Exchange was purchased because it was a name.

Honestly if you manage your own mail services, there isn't a better solution.

It's a name because Exchange is one of the things Microsoft does incredibly well, I hope they don't ever gently caress it up.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I need a book recommendation. Today I had some exchange\DNS\rDNS\Header problems that needed answers and it highlighted how little I know about email in general and how exchange handles email.

I want something in the area of Baby's first exchange server, as that will probably have all the basics in it that I need to brush up on.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Pvt. Public posted:

Just to give you some heads-up tips for Backup Exec:

Make sure to update Backup Exec on the media server to the latest version allowed by your licensing. Install the service packs and hotfixes via LiveUpdate. Then, install the BE Agent on Exchange.

Make sure circular logging is turned OFF on the Exchange server - you want granular backups and truncation of transaction logs on Exchange. Make sure you don't have overlapping backups from the Windows Server backup and Backup Exec or VSS will poo poo itself. BE can be ornery when backing up Exchange, but with some TLC is works pretty well.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Morganus_Starr posted:

Just to give you some heads-up tips for Backup Exec:

Make sure to update Backup Exec on the media server to the latest version allowed by your licensing. Install the service packs and hotfixes via LiveUpdate. Then, install the BE Agent on Exchange.

Make sure circular logging is turned OFF on the Exchange server - you want granular backups and truncation of transaction logs on Exchange. Make sure you don't have overlapping backups from the Windows Server backup and Backup Exec or VSS will poo poo itself. BE can be ornery when backing up Exchange, but with some TLC is works pretty well.

Thanks for the tips. I'm in the process of getting new licenses for BE 2012 and the various agents we've been neglecting to buy. I'll finally have the backups done proper.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone else run across this issue? Happens for me (Outlook 2010) with any coworker using Mail.app (Snow Leopard or Lion for sure).

Reader's Digest version: emails sent with {Mail.app} and {Any Other Email Client} both show up as 'unflagged', but if I sort that folder by flagged status it'll create two unflagged groupings - one for emails sent with Mail.app, one for emails sent with any other email client. If I take an email sent with Mail.app, flag it for followup, and then clear the flag, it'll drop down into the grouping of emails sent with other clients.

Damnedest thing.

edit: added that this happens for me in Outlook 2010. OWA seems to group the messages all together as expected.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2012

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker
Is there a way to export rules from one user to multiple?

i.e. We have a series of emails that come in to notify us about issues at multiple locations.

I have a rule set up to sort things as "from x user, with y in subject, move to z folder"

Since I have about 2 dozen of those rules, and want to copy them to a half dozen other people, I'd like to avoid the busy work of rebuilding them manually.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Does anyone know a way to modify the global address list so disabled users do not show up? We have Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, but for whatever reason I can still see disabled users in Outlook. When previewing the GAL with the Exchange System snap-in, I see the disabled user. I've tried the hide from Exchange address lists option in Users and Computers. I also searched through this thread and found the showInAddressBook attribute, which has 2 entries for All Users and the Default Global Address List. When trying to remove the GAL entry and applying the changes to the user, the list was re-added on its own after a minute. Users are complaining because they see old users in the GAL.

I've also looked at this article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198

It only allows you to change the fields, as opposed to modifying the filter via the snap-in to remove disabled accounts. It also warns that using raw mode incorrectly could cause huge problems requiring the reinstallation of Windows and Exchange.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The hide from address list option in exchange management console (or users and computers if you're on 2003 still) works fine. The GAL can take a while to refresh on the server, then it can take a while longer for clients to download a fresh copy. Don't be surprised if the change takes a day or so to kick in.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Having a weird issue with an iPad and iPhone that are connected to Exchange 2010.

Specifically, the user in question has created a bunch of folders under his Inbox on the server to organize things. This works fine in Outlook 2007 on his laptop. However, when he makes a change on his iPhone or iPad it doesn't seem to replicate to Exchange because it doesn't show up on his laptop. For example, he moved some stuff out of his Inbox root to subfolders on his iPad. This showed up fine on his iPhone, but it did NOT show up on his laptop in Outlook 2007 (the messages were still in the Inbox root). I have tried turning off Cached Exchange Mode on the laptop and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Having a weird issue with an iPad and iPhone that are connected to Exchange 2010.

Specifically, the user in question has created a bunch of folders under his Inbox on the server to organize things. This works fine in Outlook 2007 on his laptop. However, when he makes a change on his iPhone or iPad it doesn't seem to replicate to Exchange because it doesn't show up on his laptop. For example, he moved some stuff out of his Inbox root to subfolders on his iPad. This showed up fine on his iPhone, but it did NOT show up on his laptop in Outlook 2007 (the messages were still in the Inbox root). I have tried turning off Cached Exchange Mode on the laptop and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Are you seeing anything in his "Sync Issues" folder?

Are other users having the issue?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you seeing anything in his "Sync Issues" folder?

Are other users having the issue?

It's the CEO; he's the only person in the entire company with officially supported iOS devices. Everyone else has to use Android.

I'll check the Sync Issues folder, hadn't thought of that.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Powdered Toast Man posted:

It's the CEO; he's the only person in the entire company with officially supported iOS devices. Everyone else has to use Android.

I'll check the Sync Issues folder, hadn't thought of that.

Well I would do 2 things, first, validate everything using the TEC site:

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com

And see if you still see the behavior when you configure the iOS device for another mailbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

sanchez posted:

The hide from address list option in exchange management console (or users and computers if you're on 2003 still) works fine. The GAL can take a while to refresh on the server, then it can take a while longer for clients to download a fresh copy. Don't be surprised if the change takes a day or so to kick in.

Yeah, with the default settings up to a 48 hour delay for changes to AD properties to propagate out to the GAL/OAB can be expected. I actually had to look into this recently because our VP of HR was complaining that changes she made in the program[0] we set up for her to manage the GAL with were taking a long time to show up in the GAL on her machine. By default, the Offline Address Book is generated once a day at like 4 AM. You can change the frequency if you like, but MS doesn't recommend it and if you've got a large environment (thousands of users) where it takes several minutes for the OAB generation to run this may not be feasible. Then on the client side, Outlook checks for OAB updates shortly after startup and then once every 24 hours if it's left running.

[0] What we ended up using for this is a little webapp called PeopleUpdate. It's designed to allow non-technical HR staff (or even individual employees if you like) to keep GAL information updated. Unlike some of the full blown AD management/delegation solutions like Ensim Unify, that's all this does; there's no provisioning/deprovisioning or Exchange integration for creating mailboxes or anything like that. It's really easy to use from an end-user perspective and it's pretty straightforward to get set up; once it's set up it requires no maintenance. The only tricky part of the setup is building the LDAP search filters if you want to hide disabled accounts or service/utility accounts or whatever.