Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeeeeeeessssssss. Finally! Also, they used one of my flavor quotes in that press release. As usual, I can't give any real details other than "It's rad". The only more detail I can go into is, "It's loving rad and was the game I wanted to work on in the first place!"

Can you at least give us a radness number from 1 to 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Benagain posted:

Can you at least give us a radness number from 1 to 10?

Or even, praytell, give us a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of radness?

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Okay biting the bullet. Going to have to run a game of Dark Heresy sooner than expected. Plus none of my current group have a real idea of what warhammer 40k is apart from the very basics.

Has anything on the line of a book filled with terrible things to do to NPC/PCs like tome of corruption been released for any of the four game series? otherwise shall make do with the former. First session looks like it may be heavily dead space inspired, and involve a lot of cursed individuals with such traits.

(Won't derail the chat with warhammer 2e talk but said book is filled with stuff like this http://i.imgur.com/Kge1F.jpg nothing like giving a random npc birds for blood).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

friendlyNeurotoxin posted:

(Won't derail the chat with warhammer 2e talk but said book is filled with stuff like this http://i.imgur.com/Kge1F.jpg nothing like giving a random npc birds for blood).
That is an incredible table. 40krpwise, the core Dark Heresy book has tables of Corruptions and Mutations that produce twisted PCs/NPCs, Rogue Trader's got another table of Navigator Mutations you might find useful, and Black Crusade has tables of more dramatic Chaos Gifts which can include replacing bodyparts with animal features, that kind of thing.

If Only War's been bumped up to a full system, then does that mean Dark Heresy's being updated too and releasing OW as a splat for DH v1 would've given it too short a lifetime?

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2012

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
To be honest I think they may have decided that DH was mechanically too limiting for an IG-based supplement. In running two PBPs of it, I've found a ton of rather frustrating situations that would have been improved by use of BC, but I started the games before it came out. There's been some talk of DH2e but who knows if that's anything more than idle chatter.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Rules question for Black Crusade:

When you attack using two half-actions using the Two-Weapon Wielder talent, do they count as the "same" half-action or do the two half-action attacks add up to a full turn? As in, can you aim, and then do a lightning attack with your main hand, and then a standard attack with your offhand all in the same turn?

Normally I would assume that you need to actually spend an individual half-action on each attack, but then there's this passage from the lightning attack descriptor:

"If the attacker is wielding a second weapon in his off hand,
he may make an additional attack as part of this action. See
Two Weapon Fighting on page 242."

which makes it sound like the second attack doesn't take up any of your turn. The rules for Two-Weapon Fighting itself really don't clarify anything.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Going to buy the ever-loving poo poo out of Only War. Deathwatch has given me the long-awaited chance to shoot 'nids with bolters while shouting 'FOR THE EMPEROR!' and now with Only War I can finally live out my Gaunt's Ghosts fantasies. Maybe a bit of Ciaphas Cain on the side, too.

I'm guessing they'll have a purpose-built setting for the line, as with all the others. But what are the chances FFG might be able to make supplements that draw directly on Black Library IG fiction? They'd sell millions if they could get some Dan Abnett tie-ins going on.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

This works out great because my favorite DH game ever was a Guard game that was basically just Kelly's Heroes in space. It'll be nice to be able to do that now that they've learned from a lot of their mistakes.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rules question for Black Crusade:

When you attack using two half-actions using the Two-Weapon Wielder talent, do they count as the "same" half-action or do the two half-action attacks add up to a full turn? As in, can you aim, and then do a lightning attack with your main hand, and then a standard attack with your offhand all in the same turn?

Normally I would assume that you need to actually spend an individual half-action on each attack, but then there's this passage from the lightning attack descriptor:

"If the attacker is wielding a second weapon in his off hand,
he may make an additional attack as part of this action. See
Two Weapon Fighting on page 242."

which makes it sound like the second attack doesn't take up any of your turn. The rules for Two-Weapon Fighting itself really don't clarify anything.

Lightning Attack is the melee equivalent of Full Auto, and Swift attack is the equivalent of Semi-Auto. Both Lightning and Swift Attacks are made with just one weapon and use one half-action. Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) lifts the restriction on making only one attack action per round.

Lightning Attack: The attacker makes a Weapon Skill Test with a –10 bonus. Success indicates he has hit his target with his melee weapon once for every Degree of Success. The number of hits scored cannot exceed the attacker’s Weapon Skill Bonus.

Swift Attack: The attacker makes a Weapon Skill Test with a +0 bonus. Success indicates he has hit his target with his melee weapon once for the initial Degree of Success, plus once for every two additional Degrees of Success. The number of hits scored cannot exceed the attacker’s Weapon Skill Bonus.

Two-Weapon Wielder: If a character with the Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) Talent is armed with two melee weapons, he may perform a melee Attack Action (either a Standard Attack, Swift Attack, or Lightning Attack) with one of these weapons. He may then perform a melee Attack Action (either a Standard Attack, Swift Attack, or Lightning Attack) with the other weapon, with any applicable modifiers to the Test. This attack may be against any target in melee.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

Lightning Attack is the melee equivalent of Full Auto, and Swift attack is the equivalent of Semi-Auto. Both Lightning and Swift Attacks are made with just one weapon and use one half-action. Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) lifts the restriction on making only one attack action per round.

Lightning Attack: The attacker makes a Weapon Skill Test with a –10 bonus. Success indicates he has hit his target with his melee weapon once for every Degree of Success. The number of hits scored cannot exceed the attacker’s Weapon Skill Bonus.

Swift Attack: The attacker makes a Weapon Skill Test with a +0 bonus. Success indicates he has hit his target with his melee weapon once for the initial Degree of Success, plus once for every two additional Degrees of Success. The number of hits scored cannot exceed the attacker’s Weapon Skill Bonus.

Two-Weapon Wielder: If a character with the Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) Talent is armed with two melee weapons, he may perform a melee Attack Action (either a Standard Attack, Swift Attack, or Lightning Attack) with one of these weapons. He may then perform a melee Attack Action (either a Standard Attack, Swift Attack, or Lightning Attack) with the other weapon, with any applicable modifiers to the Test. This attack may be against any target in melee.

I don't think it works quite the same as Semi/Full-Auto when dual-wielding guns:

If a character is fighting with a weapon in either hand or
benefits from a Talent or Power which allows him to make
more than one attack in his turn only one of his attacks
may be a Lightning Attack and have the chance of scoring
additional hits.

Still kind of unclear if you can do Lightning + Swift, or Swift + Swift. Not really sure why they put that restriction in, considering you can do full auto + full auto if you're using guns.

Also you didn't really answer my question about actions.. Look at the descriptor for lightning attack, which makes it sound like the extra attack is a part of the initial (half) action and therefore wouldn't spend your second half-action in the turn.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 5, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hahah oh god, ANOTHER 40k RPG. Ok.

This could be awesome. I mean, it's like Deatwatch if we were on the total other side of the power spectrum. Fighting the hellhole slogs through cities and blasted landscapes for a pointless cause and we are all gonna die, gently caress YEAH :black101:

...that being said, I wonder how 'lethal' this game is going to be. I mean Guardsmens are the 40k redshirts, so it'd be weird to get to a super powered point and laugh at enemies. Not sure if there is much room for stuff outside of combat in this setting.

I trust FFG to make this pretty fun though. Can't wait to :commissar: people in my party

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The text you've quoted comes from the Swift Attack talent description, so it probably applies to Swift Attacks too. I'd say they've either forgotten to put it in the Lightning Attack description, or they didn't want that rule but forgot to delete it from the Swift Attack description. I'd say, considering ranged weapons don't get the restriction, it's the latter. Talk to your GM/players. If you can't reach a decision, flip a coin.

Using the Two-Weapon Wielder talent counts as two separate half actions, it doesn't combine them.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Commissar Class?

OH gently caress YES :commissar: Time to get my Ibram Gaunt on!

Edit: I knew I bought a Commissar hat for a reason.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 5, 2012

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So I'm shooting my Heavy Stubber with Automated Reload, Tearing and Storm.

It has a Damage Profile of -/-/10 and 1D10+5

If I roll enough to shoot 5 bullets, I know I rolled 5D10. but do I add +25 or just +5

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solus posted:

So I'm shooting my Heavy Stubber with Automated Reload, Tearing and Storm.

It has a Damage Profile of -/-/10 and 1D10+5

If I roll enough to shoot 5 bullets, I know I rolled 5D10. but do I add +25 or just +5
You don't roll 5d10. You roll 1d10+5 five times, with armor and TB and such applying each time.

Except it's Storm, so you actually shot off 20 bullets and hit with 10, so you roll 1d10+5 10 times.

Except it's Tearing, so as I understand it you roll 1d10 twice, pick the better result, and add 5. 10 times.

At some point in here you are probably going to get a 10 at which point it is time to consult the Righteous Fury rules. :allears:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Yeah I rolled a 3 on Ballistics check that after all the bonuses I had rolling was around 80. To make it faster I just rolled 10 dice twice. Then rerolled them one at a time and took the highest and then added 50...The Rak'Gol kinda exploded.

:black101: indeed

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

...that being said, I wonder how 'lethal' this game is going to be. I mean Guardsmens are the 40k redshirts, so it'd be weird to get to a super powered point and laugh at enemies. Not sure if there is much room for stuff outside of combat in this setting.

Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Nigh-unkillable badasses that are the only ones left standing after all around them have died. In this game, you and your party will emerge from beneath a pile of dead xenos to see all around you the bodies of the rest of your regiment locked in death with the bodies of even more xenos. From beneath another pile will emerge a Commissar, your Colonel, one of his bodyguards, and the communications man. The ten of you will look at each other and nod, a job well done. Then the comms man will receive a brief message. "Evacuation incomplete. Next enemy wave ETA fifteen minutes. Hold them at all costs. The Emperor Protects."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm fairly sure that I read this in an IG short story omnibus, who I'm sure stole it from somewhere else, but the basic idea was that this guy who managed to be the sole survivor of an entire regiment (twice) is hated and feared by everyone, because they figure there's only so much luck to go around and this bastard apparently takes all of it.

Which would be a great party mechanic. "You bastards just won't die, dammit, and no one will work with you! You're all being assigned to forward recon!"

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
In Rogue Trader, does Natural Armour given from the Tough Hide Mutation stack with worn armour?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

In Rogue Trader, does Natural Armour given from the Tough Hide Mutation stack with worn armour?

No, you take the highest AP value for a hit location, just like how you can't stack AP by wearing, say, mesh armor underneath power armor. The only exception is the Machine (X) trait, which adds X to your AP on top of the armor you're wearing. Also, certain bionics will add armor and those stack as well.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's the warham RPG thread, we're all idiots here.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't think it works quite the same as Semi/Full-Auto when dual-wielding guns:

If a character is fighting with a weapon in either hand or
benefits from a Talent or Power which allows him to make
more than one attack in his turn only one of his attacks
may be a Lightning Attack and have the chance of scoring
additional hits.

Still kind of unclear if you can do Lightning + Swift, or Swift + Swift. Not really sure why they put that restriction in, considering you can do full auto + full auto if you're using guns.

Also you didn't really answer my question about actions.. Look at the descriptor for lightning attack, which makes it sound like the extra attack is a part of the initial (half) action and therefore wouldn't spend your second half-action in the turn.

I can't stress enough how awesome dual wielding Heavy Weapons as a terminator is. Just ripping everything to pieces no biggie.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
I was hoping that Only War was gonna be a DH supplement still, but this is probably going to own. Are DH guardsmen gonna be left hanging, though? One of the players in my DH group loves the hell out of playing a guardsman and was hoping he'd get a book of his own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mikael Kreoss posted:

I can't stress enough how awesome dual wielding Heavy Weapons as a terminator is. Just ripping everything to pieces no biggie.

Can't imagine you hit too much though, since you can't aim and Gunslinger only affects pistols. Even with Ambidextrous you'd be at -20 BS with each hand at full-auto, so unless you're using like a 30,000 experience Sorcerer with Warptime/Shattertime you'd almost be better off using single shots.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 5, 2012

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

nauggins posted:

I was hoping that Only War was gonna be a DH supplement still, but this is probably going to own. Are DH guardsmen gonna be left hanging, though? One of the players in my DH group loves the hell out of playing a guardsman and was hoping he'd get a book of his own.

They've said it'll be compatible, so if it's really an issue you might be able to let him convert some material over from the OW book. I'll admit it's a bit of a letdown for playing Guardsmen acolytes, but I suspect being its own system will really help for anyone wanting to play an actual guardsman campaign.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Can't imagine you hit too much though, since you can't aim and Gunslinger only affects pistols. Even with Ambidextrous you'd be at -20 BS with each hand at full-auto, so unless you're using like a 30,000 experience Sorcerer with Warptime/Shattertime you'd almost be better off using single shots.

75 base Ballistic skill, super long ranges meaning you almost always have a +10 for short range. Plus my offhand is technically semi-auto but since it's a reaper and is twin-linked it hits about as many times as a full-auto.

Basically what I'm saying here is :black101:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mikael Kreoss posted:

75 base Ballistic skill, super long ranges meaning you almost always have a +10 for short range. Plus my offhand is technically semi-auto but since it's a reaper and is twin-linked it hits about as many times as a full-auto.

Basically what I'm saying here is :black101:

75 base BS, how does that even happen :stare:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I have this sudden urge to run Rogue Trader less as grimdark Star Trek and more as a grimdark spacefaring Pirates of the Caribbean.

Imagine this as the campaign theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPb6nG1E4P0&feature=endscreen&NR=1

:black101:

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Base 30 + 20 stat roll + chapter with +5 BS + 20 in advances = natural 75 before modifiers. Then, situational, +20 full auto +10 half range +10 motion predictor means your mainhand weapon sits at +115 and your offhand at +105. That's pretty dead killy. And, on top of that, an Arch-militant with twin storm bolters in power armor could be doing the same thing, though DW heavy bolters > RT storm bolters.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

I have this sudden urge to run Rogue Trader less as grimdark Star Trek and more as a grimdark spacefaring Pirates of the Caribbean.

To be fair, there isn't much difference between the two besides whether you're focused on imperalism exploration or robbing planets dry.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zereth posted:

Storm + Tearing

Solus posted:

Storm + Tearing

IIRC, the errata severely nerfed Tearning to avoid these shenanigans- now you just roll one extra d10 regardless of how many d10s of damage you cause and drop the lowest- so a weapon with Storm rolls damage for all its hits plus ONE extra die, and drops the lowest.

Sp basically, don't tell your GM about the errata :v:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm looking to reward my Kill Team in deathwatch with something unique for recovering an important item for the Iron Hands.

I was going to give them the choice of offense or defense. No rules until a choice is made.

Offense choice: a reliable+razor sharp bolt pistol for them all. You must aim to gain razor sharp.

Defense choice: An added armor layer that disperses power fields, but must "recharge". Halves the Pen of the first power field every 24 hours and makes the space marine's unarmed attacks have the power field rule for 1d5 rounds.

Any way this stuff is gaming breaking?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Only War needs to come out last week. I want my damned Commissars. Bolt Pistol and Chainsword is truly the manliest weapon setup.

Edit: speaking of which, what's the quickest way to manage such a setup in Dark Heresy, aside from Sisters of Battle?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 7, 2012

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Seems to me like it would take a while no matter what since you'd want a handful of things like ambidextrous and two weapon fighting, not to mention melee weapon training (chain) and pistol training (bolt) (not to mention actually being able to buy the weapons in question). I suspect guardsman or cleric probably get the earliest access to all the necessary stuff, but you probably still need to be high level. Maybe the easiest way would be to do it for an ascension campaign where you could probably start out with all the necessary feats and gear? Guardsman > Commissar (Stormtrooper) or something like that?

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mechafunkzilla posted:

50 Marine BS in Black Crusade, plus 5 from his backgrounds and full advances. IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT MOTHERFUCKERS :black101:

EDIT:

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm looking to reward my Kill Team in deathwatch with something unique for recovering an important item for the Iron Hands.

I was going to give them the choice of offense or defense. No rules until a choice is made.

Offense choice: a reliable+razor sharp bolt pistol for them all. You must aim to gain razor sharp.

Defense choice: An added armor layer that disperses power fields, but must "recharge". Halves the Pen of the first power field every 24 hours and makes the space marine's unarmed attacks have the power field rule for 1d5 rounds.

Any way this stuff is gaming breaking?
The defense choice will let you punch through chainswords. God bless 40k.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mikael Kreoss posted:

The defense choice will let you punch through chainswords. God bless 40k.

Well, there's your answer. Who cares if it's broken give it to them.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

InfiniteJesters posted:

Read The Buccaneers of America for inspiration. For instance, did you know that if you are starving on an ill-planned jungle trek, you can cook and eat a leather bag? Alexander Exquemelin will tell you how! :yarr:

It also reveals how major pirate expeditions would make the big bucks. Basically, you lay siege to a wealthy town (planet), kill the defenders, spend a few days drinking and raping and ransacking, then ransom the town (planet) back to the local governor - taking everything that isn't nailed down as you leave. Lots of people will try to hide their valuables from you, so make sure to torture them so you don't miss anything! :eng101:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Benagain posted:

Well, there's your answer. Who cares if it's broken give it to them.

Yeah there's really no such thing as "too much" in Deathwatch. The only reason to really limit poo poo you give players is so that you don't blow your load and become unable to top yourself, stopping the feeling of progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah there's really no such thing as "too much" in Deathwatch. The only reason to really limit poo poo you give players is so that you don't blow your load and become unable to top yourself, stopping the feeling of progression.

This, right here. There's no such thing as too powerful. The only thing that can ruin it is making it so you can't get any better. This is a 40k setting, everything is over te top.

Speaking of which, the instant Only War comes out, and I get ahold of the book, I'm running Guardgame Mk2. Not PantslessBadger's guardgame, but the sequal to my original guardgame.

gently caress it. Writing up the OP and planning everything now. Who here wants to be recruited into the Imperial Guard? Because anyone who does is getting shoved into an experimental Hive Volg Airborne unit. Feel like using lovely weapons, being chewed up by xenos, heretics, and traitors? Good. Because if we're going to do Imperial Guard, we're going to meet the damned death rates too. Multiple characer! Tonnes of unending recruitment! Horrible, violent, messy deaths!

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 8, 2012