Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't the mileage mostly a function of low gearing + fatness? Curb weight of a Solstice was like 2900 lbs while an NC Miata is 2400 lbs.

I don't think so, the gearing in the Solstice was pretty tall due to having a truck transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

You know, I dismissed the new Chevrolet Impala at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

The rear 3/4 view makes me think of a... Chevrolet Audi?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

SouthLAnd posted:

I can't think of a more deserving car to get a handle on the center console for your passenger to grip in abject terror. That car is a monster.

a few sparse seconds of exhaust in this clip.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

You know, I dismissed the new Chevrolet Impala at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

I like that they toned down the Camero tail lights for the Impala. Still there but not screaming at you about how they come from the Camero. The 13 Malibu's tail lights look too forced.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can't say I love the new Viper, especially the front.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't say I love the new Viper, especially the front.

I'm hoping it's how it photographs. Supercars are wide and have pointy front ends (as this Viper does), and photographs with the right field of view can really abuse that and make it look bad on camera.
The profile and rear look great. The front looks pinched.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SouthLAnd posted:

Did something scratch that quarter panel? I thought it was tree reflections at first, but they'd have to be right in front of the photographer or something to reflect like that.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't the mileage mostly a function of low gearing + fatness? Curb weight of a Solstice was like 2900 lbs while an NC Miata is 2400 lbs.

Yes the Sky/Sol were a bit heavier, and the NA engine was peppy but not enough to counter the weight for MPG levels some may want, that was why the Turbo 2.0 had better MPG both in city/hwy except well, who got the 2.0 to keep their foot out of it? ;)

With the GMPP chip in my Sky It is rated for 290HP/340TQ(Engine) over the stock 260/260 which is makes it feel more like what the car should come with stock and it does increase the fuel mileage if you can drive it softly. I get over 34+ on the HWY and average around 27 when I'm not playing. More like 23 whem I am.

The NA engine could have used a 6spd, however the engine was much more torquy (sp?) than the Miata and the 5spd actually worked well as far as a performance level was concerned. In the Turbo I can say the 5 spd is fine except that 1st is almost useless being almost too short. It is however, a very strong transmission and shifts nice.

With a newer NA engine making more like 200HP and a Turbo making a full 290+, it would make a killer little comeback. That red car you posted looked pretty sweet but it will be hard to pass the Styling design that went into the Sky IMO.

Also that new Viper does look drat sexy. Kinda reminds me of the new C6 when it first came out as far as changed look from the last version. The Stiffness+Weight loss claims are pretty good too.

BobSpelledBackward fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 4, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CornHolio posted:

Did something scratch that quarter panel? I thought it was tree reflections at first, but they'd have to be right in front of the photographer or something to reflect like that.

Or tall trees about 20 yards behind & to the right of the photographer?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I'm hoping it's how it photographs. Supercars are wide and have pointy front ends (as this Viper does), and photographs with the right field of view can really abuse that and make it look bad on camera.
The profile and rear look great. The front looks pinched.

Yeah I was diggin the rear and rear 3/4 for sure. Have to see one in person.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Thwomp posted:

I like that they toned down the Camero tail lights for the Impala. Still there but not screaming at you about how they come from the Camero. The 13 Malibu's tail lights look too forced.

I don't like how you can't spell Camaro.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
The sheetmetal for the new Viper isn't objectively pretty but good for SRT for doing everything else right. I also like the OHSHIT-bar, I think that was in the old one too.

Also not to dredge up old poo poo but the Autoblog story about the SLS thing said

quote:

Inside Line cites unnamed sources who say that the SLS AMG actually began life as the next-generation Dodge Viper.

So considering it's all hearsay, I wouldn't rule out collaboration but it would be ridiculous to dislike the SLS for "stealing" the Viper development. Also davebo is right, there is no slush in the DCT.

New Traverse also has the new Chevy fascia. I think it's way too Volkswagen and boring, I liked the double bar old one a little better.

New RLX. Boring except the very arachnid headlights.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bidikyoopi posted:

Those wheels :psyduck:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bidikyoopi posted:

New Traverse also has the new Chevy fascia. I think it's way too Volkswagen and boring, I liked the double bar old one a little better.

More new SUVs incoming, new Santa Fe:

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Cream_Filling posted:

ditto for a Chevy BRZ fighter

(in Cheap Chuck Woolery voice) "Your new Chevy Beretta!"

I know I'm going to be disappointed by this car, but I really want it to be not FWD. gently caress, just have the wheels on the right side of the car be powered, but for the love of God, don't let it be FWD.

You can call it whatever you want, I will buy one if it isn't FWD. :negative:

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

bidikyoopi posted:

I really think that Acura could not have tried harder to make every one of their new cars 100X uglier than their previous generation. The new (2012) TL is one of the worst looking cars I have seen since the Aztek and this car doesn't do anything to help. Anyone else agree with me?

Now if they do this to the Acura NSX.... :cry:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I'm not saying I like it, but I will say it's a hell of an improvement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thwomp posted:

I saw CRV on this one at first glance and I'm not bad about that stuff normally.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BobSpelledBackward posted:

I really think that Acura could not have tried harder to make every one of their new cars 100X uglier than their previous generation. The new (2012) TL is one of the worst looking cars I have seen since the Aztek and this car doesn't do anything to help. Anyone else agree with me?

Now if they do this to the Acura NSX.... :cry:

I think the TL is just bland. They got rid of the beak but didn't do anything beyond the other toned down chrome looks other Acuras got after the whole beak thing got too much.

Honestly, I couldn't pick out a 12 TL from any other recent Acura sedan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw CRV on this one at first glance and I'm not bad about that stuff normally.

Yeah, that was my first reaction too.

Is horizontal slats/stripes scross the grill suddenly in with everyone? I bet the next Equinox will look just like the CRV/Santa Fe.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2012

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

Thwomp posted:

I think the TL is just bland. They got rid of the beak but didn't do anything beyond the other toned down chrome looks other Acuras got after the whole beak thing got too much.

Honestly, I couldn't pick out a 12 TL from any other recent Acura sedan.

Not only did they make it look like all the others, but the rear view as well as the front grill style were just made too I dono, pointy/big/random angled. I liked the old TL for being modern yet clean looking, then the new one as with all their new cars looks like it got a bit bloated and overdone. Will be interesting to see what the next generation style look like in another 6+ years I guess.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
That Santa Fe looks better than the CRV, so whatever.

I also liked VW's move towards cleaner designs, so I'm all for Chevy finally realizing how ugly their weird two hole snout was. The old grille just didn't line up with the rest of the car and, while that was the point so it got your attention, that annoyed me and it never looked right. Also the lower air intake usually ended up in a sub-optimum position.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Is horizontal slats/stripes scross the grill suddenly in with everyone? I bet the next Equinox will look just like the CRV/Santa Fe.

I think the '13 Escape looks better than all of those. It's lack of chrome slats/strips helps in my opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like the lack of chrome but it just looks like an embiggened Focus nose and the Focus is already a little catfishy for my tastes.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm rather fond of the outdoor air-conditioning unit look of the big grill Fords. :)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I know its old news and just been released, but I saw one of the Hyundai Veloster's in person the other day and I'm seriously thinking of selling my s15 200sx and buying one.

Fuel is on the up and up here in Australia, and buying a car that has a supposed half fuel consumption seems like a good idea now. Plus, I would like to have a boot space that is larger than a fist.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

Puddin posted:

I know its old news and just been released, but I saw one of the Hyundai Veloster's in person the other day and I'm seriously thinking of selling my s15 200sx and buying one.

Fuel is on the up and up here in Australia, and buying a car that has a supposed half fuel consumption seems like a good idea now. Plus, I would like to have a boot space that is larger than a fist.

I saw one of the Sporty ones for the first time the other day, the center exhaust and overall look is pretty drat sharp and unique.

However I will never be able to stop thinking Hyundai Velator instead of Veloster hah.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
More Viper Sexyness...

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
Forza 4 is on the ball as well.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BobSpelledBackward posted:

More Viper Sexyness...
The inside is nice, but I think the outside is ugly as all hell. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Puddin posted:

That ain't happening until they do a diesel

S15 200SX 6 speed manual - 7.2 highway 10.0 city
Veloster 6 speed manual - 5.2 highway 8.3 city (l/100km)

Impressive but you're never going to save any money doing the switch when fuel is still so cheap in Australia

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Presto posted:

The inside is nice, but I think the outside is ugly as all hell. :(

For me, its that front intake on the hood. Everything else on that car looks great, but that hood scoop loving destroys it.

To quote from the book of Clarkson: It's like a girl; she's funny, interesting, comes from money but has a beard.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Porche Cayenne has grab handles on both sides of the center stack. For serious rock crawling I guess.

I read a ditty on MT about how the Viper originally had seats like a Corvette. Marchionne took one look at it and gave Gilles poo poo, so now the Viper has Ferrari seats.

quote:

For me, its that front intake on the hood. Everything else on that car looks great, but that hood scoop loving destroys it.

That's literally the engine air intake, I think that's the same setup as a Ferrari 550 . All Vipers have had it since the 1st gen.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 4, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

dissss posted:

That ain't happening until they do a diesel

S15 200SX 6 speed manual - 7.2 highway 10.0 city
Veloster 6 speed manual - 5.2 highway 8.3 city (l/100km)

Impressive but you're never going to save any money doing the switch when fuel is still so cheap in Australia

True. The missus does want a new car and its a nice compromise between a 2 and a 4 door.

Through city driving I've been averaging about 13.2l/100km. Best highway I've had was 7.33.

If I had the money I'd keep it and have both.

However if we do get a new car, it gives me some leeway to finally, maybe, start my project car.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The Viper has the same stupid taillight design as the GranTurismo. And I don't like either.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Puddin posted:

True. The missus does want a new car and its a nice compromise between a 2 and a 4 door.

Through city driving I've been averaging about 13.2l/100km. Best highway I've had was 7.33.

If I had the money I'd keep it and have both.

However if we do get a new car, it gives me some leeway to finally, maybe, start my project car.

if you want more boot space sell the S15 and get a 180SX :v: use the 5-6 grand you have left over to put an S15 SR20DET in and have the best of both worlds.

or a stagea 260RS. but I dont think your fuel bill will be going down if you do that..

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The new Impala is a good-looking car, but something about it saddens me. With this new version, it looks like there will no longer be any new cars that have a column shifter and front bench. Trucks are even going to console shifters. I think the GM trucks are the only ones left, unless the Rams still do.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Well, at least that Lincoln has a push-button transmission. No idea why it has a console anyway, though. I think the cop-only Caprice has a column shift and front bench, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

I think the '13 Escape looks better than all of those. It's lack of chrome slats/strips helps in my opinion.

I hated that lower air intake design on the NA Focus and I don't like it here, either. The original Kinetic language looked much better. Also, I liked the styling of the old Escape better.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SouthLAnd posted:

All I see there is some GM designer who has a boner for the XF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cream_Filling posted:

Well, at least that Lincoln has a push-button transmission. No idea why it has a console anyway, though. I think the cop-only Caprice has a column shift and front bench, too.
Pretty sure the Caprice is console shifted too. EDIT: yep.

Weirdly, I think the cop Taurus will have a column shifter with a console and buckets.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

All I see there is some GM designer who has a boner for the XF.
I don't see this as being a bad thing. First thing I said when I saw the pictures was that it looks like an overgrown Cruze.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 5, 2012