Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"A good morning to you Miss Lette. We were just saying that we may leave once we were all awake and ready, which it seems we can do now? Perhaps we should stop by the guardhouse and see if those scouts have returned with news on the centaur's trail. I suppose we will meet Sir Dolan at the gate?"

He turns to leave just as he spots Alec himself, giving the man a surprised look before it quickly fades. "Ahh, I did not notice you for a minute Sir Alec. What brought on the sudden change if I might ask? Did you do this yourself?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf glares at Lo'el before heaving an exhasperated sigh. "By the gods, let's just leave. I'll fill you in when we get there. Until then, try to keep the chatter down."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

Keeping the chatter down certainly would not be a problem for the resident swordmaster for the next hour or so. He manages to grunt some sort of affirmation to Lette's teasing, and replies with a grumbling yet soft "...and good morning to you too, m'lady." Somehow he still managed a bit of politeness despite his semi-consciousness and his general unhappiness. It would pass sooner or later - it always did, and he could shake it off were it truly necessary. But it wasn't, and so he continues on through his haze, leaving when the others do and otherwise staying silent.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec shrugged "It is time for war, it is to be done. Less chance for someone to tug or grab you, that is what I always thought. It is possible that the strange people of this land might actually take me seriously, but that is a danger worth taking." Alec sneered in contempt of his treatment yesterday.

When the barmaid brought the smaller portion of meat than the others, Alec attacked it quite hungrily, finishing it faster than manners would dictate, but slow enough to not be disgusting. Alec took another swig from his waterskin emptying it of all it's clean water.

Alec was about to start a chant... but remembering the trouble it caused he paused and instead slung it over his shoulder. Taking out his piece of wood, he carved in a few ritzen about reminding to fill water in his room, and to not trust the people of the South, in memory of the note he was given.

Alec looked over to Isit and said as carefully as he could "So is practice is going to go till noon? I wouldn't want to miss the... show. I would be looking into some... business before I go, I'm sure it would not take that long." He smiled, thinking that this minor discretion would at least calm the odd tree - 'êlf" Alec thought correcting himself.

Alec was sure that the "historion", would know why this place is special. There had to be some reason it was so fought over. It might be as simple that this is the only place that can fight back, but Alec was not willing to take the chance. Their Sagas must contain SOMETHING he thought determinedly.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 4, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

At her suggestion that they refrain from chatting needlessly, Lette regarded Isit for a moment, then shrugged in acquiescence. And what better way to block off discussion...

The girl grabbed a roll from the foodstuffs, ripped it open and gutted its soft innards. Grabbing a healthy (or not) quantity of cooked bacon, she stuffed the roll completely and set upon it as though starving.

She paused to listen to Alec's explanation. Nodding in acknowledgment, she wiped grease from her mouth with the still-pristine breadguts before continuing her campaign of breakfast carnage.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 4, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit scowls. "No time for errands Alec. Stay with us, or stay and read."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Dolan sees to his open business with a businesslike precision, drawing the runes despite the flare of heat in his mind as he begins channeling the energy; his vision dims for an instant as he finishes casting, but nothing more unpleasant occurs. Instead, he's treated to the parts of the prior day he didn't see yesterday; all the passengers, including Kat, are seated and desperate... and as soon as the wagon stops, Kat quickly worms her way under the seat, just where she'd been found. The refugees get herded off, just as for the other wagon, and after a long delay the wagons start up again... whereupon Kat promptly emerges from under her seat and goes about very cautiously spending much of the next several hours in and out of view as she nears the front of the wagon, hunched over to stay low and in the shadows to avoid being seen. She moves with calm purpose a young girl wouldn't oft display unless she was very interested in centaurs- and soon before the vision comes to the fight Dolan's familiar with, the young girl wriggles her way back into her hiding place.

Scryguard has faded. History roll is successful.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looks to Lor'El "Might I borrow some leaves and a feather. I must have a note sent to King Roland, and I know they will not take normal ritzen seriously." Hopefully, with a note, and permission he could meet this historion if he could not do it in person today, it would be when he returned.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Leaves?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"What Lor'El bought yesterday, you know... things to put words down on. I want to make a note for King Roland." Alec stated somewhat sedated.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh! That kind of leaf. Silly of me." She broke the awkward silence by digging back into her breakfast.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

That warmth again. He had missed it in his dreams because of what he had seen, but now he recognized it for what it was. "You never left, did you?" he mutters under his breath. "You're still with me, and have been with me since yesterday... or longer?" This complicated things. He did not know what this... this spirit, or whatever it was, wanted, only that it seemed to be in his head, and was either feeding off his magic or improving it somehow. Of course Dolan had never known a spirit to be entirely charitable, and from what he remembered of last night, the drat thing admitted the opposite.

He shakes his head. There's nothing he can do about that right now. Focus on what can be done, and on the now. Unless his spell was being misled, which was unlikely after this amount of time, this entire investigation just got strange. Why had this wagon indicated a different past than the other? They must have been taken separately, then brought together to, perhaps, form a more alluring bait. Too many possibilities, too much speculation, not enough facts. It would take far more time than Dolan had to sort it all out.

And on top of all this, there was the possibility of a traitor in their midst. Or traitors. He had to report his findings to Dirksen, but it was possible he could not trust any of Dirksen's men to deliver a message unread to him. Or Dirksen himself may be untrustworthy. If there even is a traitor, and that message was not merely a false flag to foment unrest among their ranks. Too few facts. He settles for a non-committal solution for the time being.

quote:

34 kernång, 2412

Morning readings inconclusive. Possible tampering of evidence by attacking parties. Will have to investigate further upon returning.

He didn't like it, but for now it would have to do. He leaves the wagon depot and makes his way to the palace to deliver his report before leaving to meet the others at the gate.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He quickly grabs a portion of food for himself and devotes his whole attention to it as he tries to avoid the harsh glare Isit was sending him. The sooner they were away from this city today, the better. He was not used to all this secrecy and would likely land them in more danger if he were to open his mouth and instinctively speak his mind. Ears twitching and cheeks flush in embarrassment, he soon devours his own breakfast before digging out his journal, regrettably tearing out a back page and handing it, along with his quill, over to Alec.
"There you are. If you would prefer, I could write it for you?" He did not wish to sound rude, but he was not sure on the northerner's grasp on words, given how his various pronunciations had gone so far.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

There's a rush of heat to Dolan's head, but it doesn't quickly abate this time; it builds slowly, making the dwarf's skin flush as something begins to happen. There's a sense of pressure all around his mind, somehow, until finally- sounding as strained as if she's trying to talk while lifting a loaded horsecart- the voice replies faintly inside Dolan's head, "I... apologize... meant no harm... soon..." The alien sensations then collapse in a rush.

At the guard house, Captain Dirksen's busy shepherding a few new recruits for armor familiarization, but listens to Dolan's report with half an ear. "Magic? But it didn't show anything out of the ordinary?" The quarter-orc pauses. "Damned odd. I'll pass it on to the Mayor, see what he makes of it. You'll be heading out today? The guards returned after sundown, said the tracks followed the road north as far as they could ride until just vanishing near the fork to the north."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Let me try it, after all it is rare I get to write in these words." Alec takes up the quill and writes a short note, pausing briefly to think at times and then continuing with his laborious and slow script. Finally, he shows Lor'El the note, which says "Lord Roland, I honorably request to see the records of the past. I tried to yesterday, but was denied. Thank you, Alec of Cheruscisten" Alec looks to Lor'El and asks quickly "Does that suffice?"

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 4, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Shouldering his pack back on, the faun cocks his head to look at the note. "It looks good." he says, trying to hide his surprise at the man's impressive grasp on a written language that clearly wasn't his own. "But, if you seek to find a historian or history texts, would it not be easier to ask for them personally when we return? I would not trust putting notes in strange hands, given-" He cuts himself off then. 'Given our recent news of traitors and spies' was what he would have said, but he did not want to receive another of Isit's harsh glares. Gods, he was not used to all this. He simply gives the man a meaningful look before moving to exit the inn. "Shall we be off?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a shrug Alec adds "I do not see what they would make of it. A errand boy would be less... noticed than going personally. It is just a simple request." He honestly wasn't sure that anyone would make something of a strange request, Alec himself had been trying in person for a day to get access to them. If anything, this was more wolfen than what he had tried before.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"I suppose." he says simply to Alec as he heads for the door. "When you search these texts, I would like to join you. It will be a good chance to expand my knowledge and make some notes. Though I suppose that will have to wait for our return. Let us be off then." With that said, he exits the inn and regrettably joins the pressing city crowds as he makes his way to the guardhouse, intending to pick up the supplies Martin had negotiated for the other day.

Soon arriving at the familiar building, the faun makes his way inside and soon notices Dolan and the Captain. "A blessed morning to you both." he says, coming to join them. "It seems we are making the most of the day and setting off now." He turns to the Captain. "I had heard there were to be some supplies waiting for us? Have the scouts also returned with news of our quarry?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a nod, Alec gets up "I going to go to the palace and deliver this, it will take but a second." Walking out of the door, he is able to make his way through the crowd and to the Palace. This time with clean clothes and cut hair, he approaches and says as carefully as he can, trying to mask his accent "Message for the Lord!" Alec's attempted mimicry is based on how the others addressed the King, and hopefully would get better results than before.

okay going to try this again, this time to give it to someone to give the lord a message, if it is needed, Diplomacy 9

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Looking more disgruntled by the second, Isit gestures to the others. "Let's get going. I have no desire to delay further. Martin, you set up a few thing, yes?" Heading to the palace with a scowl on her face, the elf tries to let go of her frustration. It proves to be a futile effort, so instead, she checks the supplies. The captain gets a nod. "How are thing on your end, no odd occurances?" Turning to Lette, she smiles. "You'll be learning a good deal about tracking thinking beasts soon, if I have anything to say about it."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 4, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Yes, I'll be heading out with the others," Dolan answers. The man's reaction was about what he expected; he was either legitimate or a good liar. "And yes, damned bloody odd." He turns at the sound of Lo'el's voice, nodding to the faun. "Good. The sooner we leave the sooner we can make up for lost time. Captain I do not wish to impose, but if you're able to provide mounts that would be a definite help."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Set up a few..." he repeats questioningly, the wheels turning just a little slowly in his head this early in the morning. Eyes downcast he thinks for a brief moment, and then nods his head. "Oh. Right, yes, there are rations and blankets and supposedly a pack mule waiting for us. And armor, should we want other than what we already have," he added, although he himself would be traveling light as always on that particular front. He assumed the others would likely do the same for the most part.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Thinking beasts... I don't know, isn't it all the same thing? Follow a trail, set traps, flush out, ambush, that sort of thing, right?" She steadies Martin and guides him around an exposed root that nearly intercepted one foot. "Think we should get some tea in this one?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"Hnnnnh." The Captain avers. "No horses to spare. Have to keep the few we've got at our disposal in case more attacks come in where we have to mount a rescue quickly. It's all quite here, but how long that will last..." He shrugs.

Alec's obviously-not-from-around-here visage draws a few long and frankly baffled stares before, at last, a rather nervous young man approaches with his hand outstretched. "I, um... I'm a junior clerk? I uh, guess I could take it..."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec claps his hands with the note in it around the outstretched hand "Do it urgently, if you don't this could be the fall of Noah. I go now to stem the tide." Alec rushes off nodding to group as he does, now it was time to go to War.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Understood," Dolan says. He didn't expect that they would have any mounts to spare. Even less likely enough for all of them. "Let's get our gear and move out then."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Lette gets a good friendly eye roll at that statement. "Nope, entirely different. Animals don't set traps." The elf nods at the dwarf. "Yes, let's." Pausing, she looks to the captain. "Is there a discreet gate we can leave from? I would rather not alert any watchers if they are present."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You're... not kidding?" The captain stops watching his charges, and gives Isit a hooded look. "The town's too busy for the gates it does have- they're all crammed full of people, I'm afraid. Especially at this hour."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

musical accompaniment

With a brisk jog he goes into the tavern, slipping through people as fast as he can. He takes the stairs up two at time, and goes into his room. It was finally time, and he was not going to be late.

cinematic full motion video posted:

The chain shirt flies over his lean torso and is strapped into place.

His quiver slips over his shoulders and into place, he tightens the buckles tight.

His shield falls into place at his back, a quick release tie to it.

The pack comes down in the center, and is tugged tight and snug.

The Quiver is filled with arrows one by one.

The spear stands straight in his hand.

Alec emerges from the Tavern changed.

Alec says as a wind tugs at his hair "I am ready."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She shrugs. "Well, it's worth a try. Some cities have less obtrusive gates for nobles and such." She shrugs. "Not like it's likely with Alec, he'll probably paint himself blue...and, I dunno set his hair on fire. Northerners."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Though tempted to respond to Isit by recounting what had turned into the most dangerous rabbit hunt of her life, Lette withheld the thrilling tale. She was certain that camouflaged pit was the work of some other hunter, anyway. "As long as we don't have to cook what we catch," she muttered.

"Oh! Captain, sir," Lette nudges Martin, as this concerned him, "Mr. de Mignolet says he had asked if we could access the armory. May I have a look?"

whats we gots, i need to rearrange my heavystuffs

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As the others busy themselves with preparations, the eager faun re-checks his gear for the, seemingly, tenth time before giving a ready nod. "Well, let us see to this armory quickly and be off. Time certainly seems to be of the essence. I suppose it is uncertain how long we will be gone, but do we have enough food supplies? Although, I am sure that I could hunt enough for us all if called for."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit grins seemingly full of cheer. "No cooking this trip. I'm sure people will be trying to track us too. That means no fires, except in emergencies."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan grins and slaps Lo'el on the back. "Hope you like your meat raw, lad."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a fresh face and a grin Alec walks over to Isit and the others. "I assume we will be traveling by both day and night then?" He was not looking forward to another three days of no sleep, but such is the life of a Warrior.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf gives Alec a look of exhasperation when he approaches. " Staying up for days is a good way to get butchered in a fight." Rolling her eyes, she points at Lo'el and Alec. " You two, put your hoods up and try to look less conspicuous. Alec please try not to talk until we are out of sight of the city. You draw too much attention because of how you act, and it could cause us danger, understand?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Although stumbling a little at the dwarf's slap, he looks down to Dolan and returns his grin. "The lack of a fire is regrettable and I am sure it will make the nights cold, but I am no stranger to such things. Fur can be quite useful in those situations. As for the meat, I suppose it is a good thing that I am not much of a cook to begin with."

He then looks to Isit. "I fear even with a hood that I would be quite.. recognizable." he says, looking down at his lower half.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 5, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Looking at the faun's legs, she sighs. Even pants wouldn't begin to cammoflague him. "Furry,and your legs bend funny. Suppose it's good you never expressed interest in being a spy. Guess we'll just have to keep you surrounded. Eh, not like we can't jump anyone that follows us once we leave."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec laughs loudly "Say that to the person on watch. I will wear this hood if need be." Alec wears the hood and stands bolt upright towering a good head over everyone else in the party. His spear in his hands securely.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"That does not even make sense." The elf cocks her head to the side and stares."Urgh. Try slouching a little and stow the spear while in city. That might work." Waving her hand, she sighs. "Let's just go. Remember not to do anything foolish."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 6, 2012

• Locked thread