Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Left Ventricle posted:

Weirdly, the cop Taurus will have a column shifter with a console and buckets.

What's weird? That's how Crown Vics are and equipment outfitters have planned accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kimbo305 posted:

What's weird? That's how Crown Vics are and equipment outfitters have planned accordingly.
Maybe "weird" wasn't the right term. I meant that it will have a console, rather than the empty space between the seats the CV had.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Left Ventricle posted:

I don't see this as being a bad thing. First thing I said when I saw the pictures was that it looks like an overgrown Cruze.

Not at all, the XF is a drat fine looking automobile.

And to the people compaining about the lack of "design language" and "not being able to tell it's a Chevy", pretty sure the Impala and that SUV (Traverse was it?) are supposed to be the first models with the new corporate face/styling, that's why it looks different to the existing lineup.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Left Ventricle posted:

The new Impala is a good-looking car, but something about it saddens me. With this new version, it looks like there will no longer be any new cars that have a column shifter and front bench. Trucks are even going to console shifters. I think the GM trucks are the only ones left, unless the Rams still do.

Jesus, I didn't know anyone actually liked column shifters. I'll give you that it's occasionally convenient to have more space in the front (especially in a single-cab truck), but I loathe column shifters worse than anything. At least buttons are quick and precise. For that matter, why put them on the center console instead of on the steering wheel itself?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

PT6A posted:

Jesus, I didn't know anyone actually liked column shifters.
Love 'em. I'm pretty old-fashioned like that. All of my cars have had column shift/bench seat. I feel that it's a waste of space to have a big old hunk of plastic taking up the space that another person could be sitting in. Maybe it has to do with crash regulations? There's no room for an airbag there since that's where the radio/nav and HVAC controls are?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Jesus, I didn't know anyone actually liked column shifters. I'll give you that it's occasionally convenient to have more space in the front (especially in a single-cab truck), but I loathe column shifters worse than anything. At least buttons are quick and precise. For that matter, why put them on the center console instead of on the steering wheel itself?

So that when the customer who still wants button shifters inevitably has their heart attack / stroke / senior moment, the passenger can reach over and put the car in neutral instead of running off the road / into a building / through a farmer's market.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

So that when the customer who still wants button shifters inevitably has their heart attack / stroke / senior moment, the passenger can reach over and put the car in neutral instead of running off the road / into a building / through a farmer's market.

Relax, in 10 years time, only outlaws will have manually driven cars.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BobSpelledBackward posted:

I'm gonna have to train myself to stop seeing Bugs Bunny's face in almost every modern console.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
No picture because it doesn't actually look any different from the old one but the '13 Dodge Ram will have the new 3.6l engine, 8 speed transmission (on the V8 too) plus air suspension! Chrysler is claiming fuel economy improvements of at least 20%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PT6A posted:

Cops like them for space reasons.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Column shifters are kinda dumb now that it isn't physically connected to the transmission anymore, but old guys like me don't like things to change in our pickups. They even make it seem like it is still connected to the transmission by making it hard to pull down and pick your gear.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cops like them for space reasons.

Yeah, the MDT typically gets mounted where a console shift lever would be.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

Column shifters are kinda dumb now that it isn't physically connected to the transmission anymore, but old guys like me don't like things to change in our pickups. They even make it seem like it is still connected to the transmission by making it hard to pull down and pick your gear.

What was that, about not liking things changing in your pickups?

(From the 2013 Dodge RAM)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So new cars have to have various traction/stability software functions, right? How is this stuff signed off on by the government? Are there published standards for how the systems need to perform?

It seems like the perfect storm of bureaucratic myopia and bench racing.

What motivated this question is the new Viper. The engineers could spend a lot of time doing a good job with it or just a little bit of time on it to barely meet the mark, while nudge/winking at owners to just turn it off.

e: wrong word choice

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

So new cars have to have various traction/stability software functions, right? How is this stuff signed off on by the government? Are there published standards for how the systems need to perform?

What motivated this question is the new Viper. The engineers could spend a lot of time doing a good job with it or just a little bit of time on it to barely meet the mark, while nudge/winking at owners to just turn it off.

I haven't heard of any mandatory testing, otherwise this might not have happened: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/04/consumer-reports-2010-lexus-gx-dont-buy-safety-risk.html

(Jalopnik called it "Lexus GX 460 Wins Consumer Reports Prestigious "Don’t Buy" Award" but it was basically two sentences and a link so gently caress Gawker.)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, is this the real 2013 Chevy Silverado?

Because if it is, it's the worst looking truck I've ever seen in my life. Maybe GM wouldn't need bailouts if they could actually make decent managerial decisions, like not letting hairdressers design their work trucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I doubt that's legit, it's too feminine. Ford learned that lesson with the late 90s F150.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ya, that just looks like another Prototype styled truck that they may base a few things off of but was just built for show. Lets hope at least.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Because if it is, it's the worst looking truck I've ever seen in my life. Maybe GM wouldn't need bailouts if they could actually make decent managerial decisions, like not letting hairdressers design their work trucks.

Is it the Colorado?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

The beltline is so high on this car it's like an octogenarian. Wow.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

That concept is from 2003. It's called the Cheyenne.

Also, notice the Mercury sign in the background. :(

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/03/rumormill-all-new-chevy-silveradogmc-sierra-to-resemble-cheyenne-concept/

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 5, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

I haven't heard of any mandatory testing, otherwise this might not have happened: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/04/consumer-reports-2010-lexus-gx-dont-buy-safety-risk.html

I knew that happened, but it only strengthened my idea that government testing isn't really robust.

I hope the SRT guys aren't working too hard on the software in the Viper; that's all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GreatGreen posted:

It looks nothing like the spy shots from last month.

So probably not. It might be some sort of concept or maybe a euro/asian-market version, since it sort of looks like the new Colorado/Trailblazer that just came out in Thailand.

Also, I wish people wouldn't make snide comments about the GM bailouts so much. Immediately pre-bailout GM management did a lot of smart stuff, made some tough calls, and put some really good product in the pipeline. Then, post-bailout, the utterly brain-dead GM Board of Directors hosed everything up by hiring what is undeniably the dumbest and most inexperienced executive among any car company right now, Dan Akerson.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

I knew that happened, but it only strengthened my idea that government testing isn't really robust.

I hope the SRT guys aren't working too hard on the software in the Viper; that's all.

More like unsafe-at-any-speed dumbestic automakers want to save money and cut corners with our lives by not adding mandatory rear-view cameras, undefeatable traction control, and tiny airbags for each bone in the foot. According to our proprietary calculations, rear-view cameras alone increase safety by over 100 safety points!

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 5, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

What was that, about not liking things changing in your pickups?

(From the 2013 Dodge RAM)

That seems like you could accidentally bump it out of gear, though, and it looks like you have to move it through reverse before putting it from drive to park. It seems like it sort of encourages old people to accidentally put it in reverse.

I know some people hated it but I actually sort of liked the old Prius's tiny vertically mounted, spring-loaded gear selector nub thingy with a separate master "Park" button. If anything, they should have made it smaller or at least shorter. The current console control is dumb.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 5, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cream_Filling posted:

It looks nothing like the spy shots from last month.

So probably not. It might be some sort of concept or maybe a euro/asian-market version, since it sort of looks like the new Colorado/Trailblazer that just came out in Thailand.

Thank goodness.

And also, I'm sure GM did make some hard calls around the time of the bailout, but you also just admitted they went right back to being retards immediately afterwards by hiring someone who obviously wasn't prepared to do the job. You can't just buck up right when there's a crisis, then drop the ball the rest of the time. Seems they'd do well to learn the meaning of the phrase "an ounce of prevention..."

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

That seems like you could accidentally bump it out of gear, though, and it looks like you have to move it through reverse before putting it from drive to park. It seems like it sort of encourages old people to accidentally put it in reverse.

Don't most automatics go P-R-N-D? Mine always have and I know I normally see reverse lights blink for half a second when I see people parking.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GreatGreen posted:

Thank goodness.

And also, I'm sure GM did make some hard calls around the time of the bailout, but you also just admitted they went right back to being retards immediately afterwards by hiring someone who obviously wasn't prepared to do the job. You can't just buck up right when there's a crisis, then drop the ball the rest of the time. Seems they'd do well to learn the meaning of the phrase "an ounce of prevention..."

Well, the Board of Directors is distinct from the management of a company. The management team of Whitacre, Lutz, etc., was pretty good and had a ton of experience. The Board was and is a pack of retarded monkeys since it's mostly former/current executives from other big companies. Ackerson is a moron who has never worked in any sort of heavy manufacturing company and whose last CEO job was destroying Nextel before jumping ship into a cush private equity firm for a while. He only got the job because he had some golf buddies on the board and nobody else wanted it.

Since then, the stories of his cheapness, ego, and ignorance are spreading. Most famously, when first shown GM's current advertising push to emphasize fuel economy, he asked "why are we advertising something no-one cares about? You put the gas in and then you leave,". He also replaced Tom Stephens, an engineer, with an HR manager from his old company as vice-chairman of product development, supposedly for "loyalty" issues. Dumb bullshit like that. He's said that he thinks GM spends too much on product development instead of using marketing to sell stuff that's cheaper to develop and manufacture, and has described the current generation of Cadillacs as "too good" and thus wasteful.

It's depressing to see them lose all the progress they've made. We'll see in a few years once the stuff designed under the new management starts showing up in public.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cream_Filling posted:

I know some people hated it but I actually sort of liked the old Prius's tiny vertically mounted, spring-loaded gear selector nub thingy with a separate master "Park" button. If anything, they should have made it smaller or at least shorter. The current console control is dumb.

With the exceptions of the crazy-rear end Prius transmission and some push-button autos, I've never seen an auto that didn't have Reverse between Park and Drive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

With the exceptions of the crazy-rear end Prius transmission and some push-button autos, I've never seen an auto that didn't have Reverse between Park and Drive.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking there. I guess it's been a while since I ever looked at a shift pattern on an automatic transmission.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking there. I guess it's been a while since I ever looked at a shift pattern on an automatic transmission.

If the knob works the way I think it's designed, you will turn the dial to the gear you want (P-R-N-D) and then press the knob in. It won't be like your headlight knob that changes as you turn it. The press would also have to be confirmed by something like the brake pedal being pressed or the car moving at 0 mph.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I really think they license an off-the-shelf package or module from Bosch or somebody and customize it with some performance and weight parameters.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

It can be set to "fully off". It's there because launch control.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2012-dodge-viper.html

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

I really think they license an off-the-shelf package or module from Bosch or somebody and customize it with some performance and weight parameters.

Or just whatever Mercedes uses on the SLS.

As a disclaimer, this is a guess and I say it ignorant of the actual current state of tech sharing between Benz and Chrysler.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Or just whatever Mercedes uses on the SLS.

As a disclaimer, this is a guess and I say it ignorant of the actual current state of tech sharing between Benz and Chrysler.

Non-existant. Daimler sold them back in 2007. I think Daimler paid like $35 billion for the company back in the 90s but was happy to get rid of it for a billion dollars. If you look at where Mercedes has went since 2007, I can't say I would blame them, they were a loving albatross. As far as the whole SLS/Viper rumor I don't buy it for a second.

e: The concept was sketched in 2009 with sketches displayed at the NY auto show
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/mercedes_sls_amg.html

It's also claimed to be the first car entirely designed "in-house" by AMG,
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/mercedes_sls_amg.html

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 6, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mr.Peabody posted:

If you look at where Mercedes has went since 2007, I can't say I would blame them, they were a loving albatross.

Mercedes quality in the mid-90s was getting a reputation for being rather poo poo. They propped up Benz by draining Chrysler of every dime they had while investing as little cash as they could into the Chrysler lineup. At the time of the merger Chrysler had some of the largest cash reserves of any car company in the world, when Daimler cut ties they eventually needed a government bailout to keep the doors open. There was an albatross in that relationship, but it sure as hell wasn't Chrysler.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

At the time of the merger Chrysler had some of the largest cash reserves of any car company in the world, when Daimler cut ties they eventually needed a government bailout to keep the doors open.

Weren't GM and Ford USA doing similarly well at the time?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

It can be set to "fully off". It's there because of launch control.

I understand that you can do all the cool stuff you want, but I wanted some insight into what checkboxes the government regulators are looking to tick when they come by to test your brand new car. How much can you get away with, what is the testing methodology, etc.

Also, the engine is offset 40mm to the passenger side. Goddamn.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I really do love the write ups that Allpar does. I wish more fan sites put that much into each article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

It can be set to "fully off". It's there because launch control.

I wonder if that 100k mile interval for spark plug changes is because it's going to be an engine out job to do it?