Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Seriously lane splitting is the greatest of all things. I feel bad for anybody not in California

I used to be super paranoid about getting a ticket for lane splitting here in Maryland, where it's very much illegal (law says you can't even pass another motorcycle in the same lane). I've now had a few instances where I noticed a cop who clearly witnessed me doing it but they've never given me a second look. The only thing that worries me is that if I got into an accident while doing it, I would clearly be at fault, so I just don't ever go more than 20-30mph while I'm splitting, and for the most part avoid doing so in traffic moving fast enough that somebody could potentially change lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gnaghi posted:

This goes double for me as I'm really not supposed to activite the pump (New Jersey). I've only gotten yelled at once in years though. So what happens is car drivers pull up and sit there with their fuel doors open waiting for the attendant while I pop my card in to activate it, fill up myself and leave double quick. It's like I'm part of a royal family or some poo poo.

Yeah I've noticed every third pump jockey in Oregon will poke their head from around the pump island and say "go ahead and fill it up if you're paying credit". When they don't, and I do, nobody cares.

Also, I love reservation stations. None of that Oregon full-service silliness.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 26, 2012

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah I've noticed every third pump jockey in Oregon will poke their head from around the pump island and say "go ahead and fill it up if you're paying credit". When they don't, and I do, nobody cares.

Also, I love reservation stations. None of that Oregon full-service silliness.

I have a feeling that pump jockeys are a lot more scared of damaging your bike than getting in trouble with their bosses. That, and they likely have no clue what to do. And I don't take kindly to someone holding a nozzle so close to my balls.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I have a feeling that pump jockeys are a lot more scared of damaging your bike than getting in trouble with their bosses. That, and they likely have no clue what to do. And I don't take kindly to someone holding a nozzle so close to my balls.

I've only filled up in one of the weird "you can't do that yourself" states once or twice, but the attendant came out, took my card, swiped it, selected the fuel type, and handed me the pump.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

I've only filled up in one of the weird "you can't do that yourself" states once or twice, but the attendant came out, took my card, swiped it, selected the fuel type, and handed me the pump.

This makes 0 sense to me. I don't get why it's illegal in some places to pump your own gas. It's not rocket science and I trust myself far more with highly flammable fuel than I do any minimum wage jockey...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

This makes 0 sense to me. I don't get why it's illegal in some places to pump your own gas. It's not rocket science and I trust myself far more with highly flammable fuel than I do any minimum wage jockey...

But... they've had training!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Safety Dance posted:

But... they've had training!

Me too! My uncle said go pump that gas while I smoke this here cigarette. If you spill it on my charger I'ma beat ya.

To be fair it was a '69 Charger and knowing what I know now, I'd have beat me too if I spilled gas on it lol.

Honestly though, I've seen some people at gas stations who I wouldn't trust with a battery. Much less a gas pump.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bro_vlym50k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eF48tjVbPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McT9YYBtgLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wiUBCMdO7Y

That last one might not be entirely the guy's fault, but it's worth it to watch a bunch of bystanders beating the crap out of the guy with blankets and shirts like they're high school jocks with towels instead of, you know, actually smothering the fire.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I had a friend who drove away from a BP gas station and ripped out the gas hose. He realized it when he was a block away, got out of the car, and tossed aside the gas pump handle and hose remnants. He was really, really :350: at the time, though. A cop came to his house about it but didn't charge him.

That station deserved it, now that I think about it years later, just for being BP.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sagebrush posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wiUBCMdO7Y

That last one might not be entirely the guy's fault, but it's worth it to watch a bunch of bystanders beating the crap out of the guy with blankets and shirts like they're high school jocks with towels instead of, you know, actually smothering the fire.

No, filling gas cans in your truck is stupid as hell and there are warnings on every gas station I've ever been at telling you not to. Guy is dumb as hell and yes that fire is his fault.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

EightBit posted:

No, filling gas cans in your truck is stupid as hell and there are warnings on every gas station I've ever been at telling you not to. Guy is dumb as hell and yes that fire is his fault.

I know it's stupid to fill gas cans in your truck because of spillage and the related fire hazard (ie., the truck burning up is his fault), and I wouldn't ever do it myself. But frankly I don't see how having the cans in the bed of the truck makes them any more likely to actually catch fire in the first place. Unless he was smoking or something, that just seems like bad luck.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well that's cuz yous ignant.

The plastic of the cans and certain bedliners rubbing against each other can produce static electricity, which can make a spark.

On the other hand, a cigarette doesn't burn hot enough to light gasoline. I've seen people puff big cigars at the pump. Hell, when I was a kid my friend's dad would put out his cigarettes in spilled gas in his shop.

I think maybe even just the flow of gas can build it up in some conditions. I always just put mine on the ground and kept the nozzle touching the can.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I know it's stupid to fill gas cans in your truck because of spillage and the related fire hazard (ie., the truck burning up is his fault), and I wouldn't ever do it myself. But frankly I don't see how having the cans in the bed of the truck makes them any more likely to actually catch fire in the first place. Unless he was smoking or something, that just seems like bad luck.

You're creating static electricity between the pump and the can. They can and WILL ignite as seen in that video. Your truck is sitting on rubber tires and the static generated by the friction isn't grounded out.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The liquid won't ignite, but the fumes will. If those fumes happen to be in an enclosure of some sort, boom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just remembered a couple of really good ones;

Waving at kids in cars and
throwing glowsticks at stoplights.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

throwing glowsticks at stoplights.

You lost me at this one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AncientTV posted:

You lost me at this one.

Well it's really hard to throw glowsticks from a car. Plus, the *pew pew* noises I make to accompany their flight, sound a lot cooler in my helmet.

Edit: I'm a loving retard and just realized not everyone (occasionally) wears glow sticks to improve their nighttime visibility.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Xovaan posted:

motherfucking lane splitting.
Seriously lane splitting is the greatest of all things. I feel bad for anybody not in California

Jesus yes. I've never been in a traffic jam when I've been on my bike. I often flash the high-beam as I'm filtering through the two lines or cars.

mootmoot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 29, 2012

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: oops

kloa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 29, 2012

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Bees. Even when you sting me on the neck, miles away from my epipen because I left it in my other jacket, because I wanted to try my new mesh jacket out, and I didn't move things over because, well, SWEET NEW JACKET right?

So, even though my neck is currently swollen like a melon, burning, itching and hateful, I love you bees, you horrible, spiteful assholes, because you make honey and that poo poo is delicious.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well it's really hard to throw glowsticks from a car. Plus, the *pew pew* noises I make to accompany their flight, sound a lot cooler in my helmet.

Edit: I'm a loving retard and just realized not everyone (occasionally) wears glow sticks to improve their nighttime visibility.

littering sucks

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

aventari posted:

littering sucks

agreed. don't worry they don't get left behind.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In which GnarlyCharlie explains how he disposes of the evidence after wheelying through a rave

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

That station deserved it, now that I think about it years later, just for being BP.

But BP has fixed the gulf (according to the ads! ((paid for by BP)))

And lest we forget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqatJPvOfk&feature=related

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

In which GnarlyCharlie explains how he disposes of the evidence after wheelying through a rave

well... rave/tailgate.

It was dark and and there was techno music.
We'll be doing it again at the end of May.
RFK staduim.

https://www.facebook.com/events/349737761743536/

It should be a really good one. We still need to buy a new generator though :(

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Riding in the rain, people looking at me like I'm crazy, hearing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqcEuGhXtw&t=19s

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Got stopped by an unloading bus yesterday. 5 kids getting off and waving at me while I wave back like an idiot.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Angry mom shouting at me from the driver's seat over the head of her clearly embarrassed young son who's sinking down in the passenger seat. Just cos I shot myself out of a cannon from the stoplight, on the SV, from next to the mom's luxo-SUV. She had raced up and slammed on her brakes when adjacent to me.

Her eyes bulging out was the best part. I just wonder what set her off.

Then she started to swerve at me, so I took a quick right into a neighborhood and made myself gloriously lost.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bixington posted:

Riding in the rain, people looking at me like I'm crazy, hearing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqcEuGhXtw&t=19s

Try this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sdk-ZnrHkw

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orthod0ks posted:

Got stopped by an unloading bus yesterday. 5 kids getting off and waving at me while I wave back like an idiot.

I was at a stop sign in a parking lot and a little kid gave me the most sheepish wave. I revved at him and he grinned huge, while his mom shot me a death glare.

GimpFace
Nov 11, 2005

cuppa?
Nthing all the little kid stuff.

I like just not being part of all the bullshit that goes on during a drive to work in a car, you just are not part of that world on a bike, and when you do get some dick being a dick - you are only a few degrees of throttle turn away from leaving it all behind... So liberating.

Also, the smells and feeling "plugged in" to the world - I rode to work the other day in minus 6 weather. Sat at my desk with a hot coffee grinning like a loving madman listening to everyone else bitch about the roads and the weather.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GimpFace posted:

Also, the smells and feeling "plugged in" to the world - I rode to work the other day in minus 6 weather. Sat at my desk with a hot coffee grinning like a loving madman listening to everyone else bitch about the roads and the weather.

I've never been so cold as when I rode into work without my overpants. It's amazing, it's like my femurs were ice cores that just kept sucking up any heat the indoors were giving me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Radbot posted:

I've never been so cold as when I rode into work without my overpants. It's amazing, it's like my femurs were ice cores that just kept sucking up any heat the indoors were giving me.

I rode today with the distinct plan of "I'll ride until my legs get cold."

loving terrible idea.

Also, little kids are the best thing ever.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
1. The wave. Received my first wave a few days ago and I basically shat my pants. The gf claims that you get the same wave from fellow bicyclists. This is bs.
2. Coming back from a leisurely "training" ride and having the urge to continue onward, past the turn into the neighborhood to nowhere in particular.
3. Smiling like a school girl when I get home from work as I throw my crap down in the garage and just sit on the bike. :3:

I have only had a bike for about 2 weeks now with about 150 miles under my belt. Woo MSF this weekend! Where I will try to get rid of all of my horrible bad habits that I have inevitably created.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bopping along and singing like an idiot whilst hooning up the freeway because this song came on the mp3 player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y4K0J3fPmw

drat straight I do :colbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the wave from bicyclists is more an acknowledgement of a death pact than any sort of cool-guy solidarity.

The wave is cool, though I like to give a "I look like a robot in my helmet with the tinted visor" tough-guy nod.

I also like being at a stoplight, opening my visor for some air and enjoying all the sounds and sights of being outside on a beautiful day...then slapping my visor down as soon as the light changes and going WOT and leaving it all behind me.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bopping along and singing like an idiot whilst hooning up the freeway because this song came on the mp3 player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y4K0J3fPmw

drat straight I do :colbert:

I'll second singing like an idiot - and add in dancing (or, attempting to).

I get some odd looks nowadays as I spend most of my time on my bike singing at the top of my lungs :D

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shimrod posted:

I'll second singing like an idiot - and add in dancing (or, attempting to).

I get some odd looks nowadays as I spend most of my time on my bike singing at the top of my lungs :D

I was on a 45mph urban road a while ago and was in the same cluster of traffic as a guy on a sportsbike, him a few cars up and in a different lane. We were both bobbing our heads, kinda dancing, and swerving a little in our lanes when traffic was too slow/tedious.

Of course I know a lot of riders do this it was still nice to actually see someone else doing exactly what I do. We're all the same!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Listening to music and dancing while riding is basically the most amazing thing ever.

Just don't listen to DFA1979 unless you like doubling the speed limit wherever you go. :ninja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wnl9PpnTXI&ob=av2n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM&ob=av2e

Queen - Dont stop me now - pretty much sums up riding for me :D Best song to listen to while riding.

• Locked thread