Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Paul MaudDib posted:

Try not to crack the emulsions, don't bend them if you can avoid it. They are probably 6x6 120 negatives, but may be 116 or some other oddball which may be hard to scan by yourself.

bending them is essential if he wants to drum scan - they're wrapped around a cylinder during the scanning process. try flatbed scans first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JaundiceDave posted:

bending them is essential if he wants to drum scan - they're wrapped around a cylinder during the scanning process. try flatbed scans first.

Good point, I didn't consider that. If you do try drum scans see if they'll immerse the emulsions in scanning fluid first to soften them. It is gelatin, even if it's a century old.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Where is this from? Is someone homebrewing the chemicals for K14 development!? :neckbeard:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1322673

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is the proprietor of the local analog camera shop, pretty much the only one in the country hence making him the nexus for all the analog camera users.

Chii Fei by alkanphel, on Flickr

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

you need to be quite dedicated to "home"* process your own Kodachrome (max 6 frames).

Stephen Frizza posted:

After mixing up your chemical solutions (tedious in its own right) and preparing wet and dry work space this is what is required to process this film....

The basic steps of the process are as follows....

Step 1 = Alkaline bath for removal of rem jet layer
Step 2 = Wash
Step 3= first developer
Step 4= wash
step 5= Exposure of unexposed silver halide in the red layer of film (though base non emulsion side)
step 6 = cyan developer
step 7 = wash
step 8= blue layer re exposure (via emulsion side)
step 9= yellow developer
step 10= wash
step 11= chemical reversal of green layer
step 12= wash
step 13= magenta developer
step 14= wash
step 15= Pre bleach bath
step 16= bleach
step= 17 Fixer bath
step 18 = wash
step 19 =stabilizer
step 20 dry.......

*=Fully equipped lab

Still a good development. Maybe someone somewhere with enough money will want to invest in a lab to process all the new K64 from Kodak's boutique manufacturing [/dream]

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 1, 2012

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
There's a kodachrome plugin for lightroom just use that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Schofferhofer posted:

There's a kodachrome plugin for lightroom just use that.

I think there might be something wrong with you.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Does anyone know if there are any professional film development labs in Lisbon, Portugal?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I found a really interesting article about the decline of Kodak.

http://nightowltrader.blogspot.com/2011/09/rise-and-fall-of-eastman-kodak.html
e:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 2, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Film From Germany by Execudork, on Flickr
My E-6 kit and all of the film I ordered from Maco-direct.de arrived today. Hurray! Now to start accumulating rolls of slide film...

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
APX 100 is a fantastic film in Rodinal. I'm curious to see how the efke goes, I've been tempted by their 4x5 offerings but see a lot of cautionary posts about how fragile the emulsion is...

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is APX 100 available at all in the US?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
so i just ordered three rolls of this
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/120120-Adox-CMS-II-20-High-Resolution-Film-120-Size
and a bottle of this
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/120501-Adox-Adotech-CMS-II-Film-Developer

anyone have any experience with this film?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

Film From Germany by Execudork, on Flickr
My E-6 kit and all of the film I ordered from Maco-direct.de arrived today. Hurray! Now to start accumulating rolls of slide film...
Clearly the Goldbären are the biggest win in that delivery.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

Is APX 100 available at all in the US?

Its also branded as Rollei Retro 100 if you keep an eye out.

Reichstag posted:

I'm curious to see how the efke goes, I've been tempted by their 4x5 offerings but see a lot of cautionary posts about how fragile the emulsion is...

Of the non Fuji/Kodak's I've used Adox and Fomapan quite a bit, and I've found Adox to be quite easy to scratch and bend, while Fomapan to be fairly robust. I've also been warned off purchasing Efke at a local shop due to its fragility.

_____!
May 2, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

so i just ordered three rolls of this
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/120120-Adox-CMS-II-20-High-Resolution-Film-120-Size
and a bottle of this
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/120501-Adox-Adotech-CMS-II-Film-Developer

anyone have any experience with this film?

I'm quite curious about this as well since I just ordered some in 35mm. Of course I only got Adonal with it so I'm sure it won't come out quite as well as with the dedicated developer. I also got some Ortho 25 and that 1950's style emulsion so I can't wait!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So I just bought another camera today - it's a canon EOS rebel, but..it's just a rebel. no x, no xs, no nothing else. On the body it just says "EOS Rebel" with a red streak under rebel. I can't seem to find any other information about this specific camera anywhere, anyone know anything about it?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

whereismyshoe posted:

So I just bought another camera today - it's a canon EOS rebel, but..it's just a rebel. no x, no xs, no nothing else. On the body it just says "EOS Rebel" with a red streak under rebel. I can't seem to find any other information about this specific camera anywhere, anyone know anything about it?

It's probably this: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/EOS1000FRebelS/index.htm

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Low end EOS bodies are one of those things everyone should be looking to snag at a garage sale or flea market or something. They're not sexy but they can usually be had for single-digit prices (I paid $5). If nothing else it opens up options for dirt cheap, practically free, by letting you get double mileage out of the best and the cheapest lenses. Your nifty fifty becomes normal again, the 35/2 becomes a wide, and your 24-70/24-105s become loving awesome.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Now that I've safely secured a copy that hasn't been dropped, let's talk about the Yashica Lynx 14e. It loving owns for low-light shooting. Not only do you get a fast f/1.4 lens, but it's leaf shuttered for reduced vibration. The camera body itself is also extremely heavy, which I think probably also contributes to vibration resistance. Beyond that, the shutter is fully mechanical unlike GSNs, and you have full control over your shutter speed so you can shoot high ISOs. The battery is only for the meter, and it has your standard Copal leaf shutter so it should be repairable, no more pads of death.

On the downside, it's heavy, the meter eats batteries and is a mercury type, the battery is housed inside the RF and tends to leak and get goo everywhere, I hear it's pretty flare-prone, the shoe is cold, and a fast 35mm (while an absurd request) would have been even better. Also the film counter is broken on both my copies, I think it's a weak spot.

I think it makes a wicked party camera or street shooter for the price.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
Yeah, I got mine at a thrift store for $15 with the lens, a flash and a bag.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Some day I'm going to buy one of the pellicle EOSes since they're so much more plentiful than any of Nikon's.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Some day I'm going to buy one of the pellicle EOSes since they're so much more plentiful than any of Nikon's.

Now this one I don't get. Why, do you plan on shooting sports or something? Pellicles are basically worse in every way except vibration and shooting speed. It's not like the mirror bodies are particularly rare or expensive.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Now this one I don't get. Why, do you plan on shooting sports or something? Pellicles are basically worse in every way except vibration and shooting speed. It's not like the mirror bodies are particularly rare or expensive.

Just to try something different, same reason I shoot film really. It's no F3 High Speed with a 250 exposure NASA back and high eyepoint viewfinder, but I don't even know if that combination is physically possible, let alone for a reasonable price, so....

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Low end EOS bodies are one of those things everyone should be looking to snag at a garage sale or flea market or something. They're not sexy but they can usually be had for single-digit prices (I paid $5). If nothing else it opens up options for dirt cheap, practically free, by letting you get double mileage out of the best and the cheapest lenses. Your nifty fifty becomes normal again, the 35/2 becomes a wide, and your 24-70/24-105s become loving awesome.

Goodwill puts the Reel 2000 at $45 every time I see one. Actually, maybe it's the same one making the journey around all the stores in CT for the past 3 years because nbody will buy it for that.

Anyway, I got a Vivitar 135mm mcro lens in MD mount for $25 and it's in great condition. Sometimes Goodwill is awesome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

whereismyshoe posted:

There's a current ad on my local Kijiji for a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 previously used on a "Canon Rebel"; I couldn't figure out what the seller was talking about. The ad claims it won't work on DSLRs, but Rebel = EOS = Canon Autofocus and it will work on a current-generation Canon DSLR, right? The seller is wrong, no?

Saint Fu posted:

Clearly the Goldbären are the biggest win in that delivery.
Yes. I do love those German gummy bears. :3:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beastruction posted:

Just to try something different, same reason I shoot film really. It's no F3 High Speed with a 250 exposure NASA back and high eyepoint viewfinder, but I don't even know if that combination is physically possible, let alone for a reasonable price, so....

The thing with pellicle mirrors is you lose like a half to a full stop of light for basically no reason. It's like losing a bunch of effective ISO, and unless you're going to be blazing away on motordrive or something that seems counterproductive. Film ISOs are usually low as it is, compared to digital.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Low end EOS bodies are one of those things everyone should be looking to snag at a garage sale or flea market or something. They're not sexy but they can usually be had for single-digit prices (I paid $5).

Echoing this hardcore. I nabbed a Rebel X with a 35-80 for $4.99 at Goodwill. I don't really use the lens but the body is so (relatively) small it has become the new walking around camera paired with my Industar 50-2. Hell if I take the flash with me that is bigger than the camera!

It is also nice to know if something happens to it I'm not that put out since it cost about 30 bucks for the lens/body combo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

I've also been warned off purchasing Efke at a local shop due to its fragility.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll try to remember to be more careful than usual with it.

I mainly bought it because a) I'd never tried efke before and b) it was the cheapest B&W 120 film for sale at Maco-direct when I placed my order.

Fuji Reala 100 (3 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr
No SAD, and I haven't yet pushed all the way to current in PAD, so tonight I scanned and lightly edited some film to put here. I shot a roll of expired Reala about a month ago, and this weekend picked it up from the shop and figured out how to turn off the automatic white balance feature on my Epson 3170. Now all of the scans are not weirdly variable, but all are also coming from the scanner very much on the blue / green end of the white balance. This (and the other 9 I just uploaded from the same roll) was scanned to JPG, and Lightroom 3.6 pushed the white balance "warmer" by +30 and "purpler" by +20, getting closer (but not quite on) what I was hoping for. Perhaps it's the expired film, perhaps it's the scanner, perhaps it's my uncalibrated monitor, perhaps it's something else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The 50mm is a really great addition to that kit, as is the 35mm f/2. If you have to pick one focal length, 35mm is pretty great, but the 50mm is slightly less expensive and also great.

e: re:_____!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 4, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ExecuDork posted:

There's a current ad on my local Kijiji for a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 previously used on a "Canon Rebel"; I couldn't figure out what the seller was talking about. The ad claims it won't work on DSLRs, but Rebel = EOS = Canon Autofocus and it will work on a current-generation Canon DSLR, right? The seller is wrong, no?

What I understand of it is that Sigma originally reverse-engineered the EOS AF and aperture communications protocols to create EOS lenses without paying for a license. All that work went out the door when Canon updated it the protocols for digital bodies. Sigma used to re-chip older lenses so they'd with newer lenses but they're mostly run out of chips for the affected lenses. I've been bitten by this twice, once with an awesome deal on a 70-210 F/2.8 Sigma AF lens and with a 28 F/1.8 Sigma.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
look what i got for free today

all expired but who cares

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing with pellicle mirrors is you lose like a half to a full stop of light for basically no reason. It's like losing a bunch of effective ISO, and unless you're going to be blazing away on motordrive or something that seems counterproductive. Film ISOs are usually low as it is, compared to digital.

The way I look at it, shooting film means I've already given up a lot of convenience and versatility, so one more stop of ISO isn't a dealbreaker. I like my Olympus XA even though f/2.8 means it needs 800 speed film indoors, which requires shooting at f/16 or f/22 outdoors. A pellicle camera would be more expensive and less useful than an XA, but I think they're interesting enough that it would be worth trying at some point anyway.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I found some unrefrigerated Sensia 200 that expired 7 years ago :swoon:

In other news, someone on Craigslist is offering up a free Besler 67SC and I'm itching to build a darkroom. Do I make the drive and commit to it? I know next to nothing about enlargers.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
on Kodachrome:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/2790863/last-remaining-kodachrome-film-developer-stars-in-short-documentary

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!

Tshirt Ninja posted:

someone on Craigslist is offering up a free Besler 67SC and I'm itching to build a darkroom. Do I make the drive and commit to it? I know next to nothing about enlargers.

The Beseler is a great piece of equipment, th 23C is my favourite in the school darkroom.
I have never made c-prints nor familiar with the process, optics, or the rest. However, leafing quickly through a pdf manual for the 67SC it looks really terrific. Don't give the guy a deal, hit him in the nuts and walk away: only buy it if he'll give you a bargain. It's not worth it to be in a rush for a hobby that can accrue so much expense so quickly, cheap stuff is always coming along down the pipe.

Peridot
Mar 3, 2010

:colbert: out with it Plustek, i know you and my bank manager are plotting against me, he likes to watch me squirm.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
New Jobo CPP3 rotary processor coming soon. With this and that Plustek and maybe a V700 for 4x5 I won't have to leave the house except to take pictures :swoon:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/blog/?p=47&preview=true

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tshirt Ninja posted:

In other news, someone on Craigslist is offering up a free Besler 67SC and I'm itching to build a darkroom. Do I make the drive and commit to it? I know next to nothing about enlargers.

"It's a free enlarger"
/

Basically the answer is yes, take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

New Jobo CPP3 rotary processor coming soon.

:toot:

Any word on cost? If their throwing in a 290 GBP lift just for buying one and sending them an email I bet it's not going to be cheap :(

EDIT:

quote:

The processor is expected to sell for around £1990 inc VAT

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/new-jobo-cpp3-film-and-print-processor-18905