Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Aren't all the snakes in Australia in some kind of competition to see which could kill a human faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Advent Horizon posted:

Aren't all the snakes in Australia in some kind of competition to see which could kill a human faster?

Pretty much every animal is, even "lovely" koalas and kangaroos will rip your face to pieces if given a chance.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Not to mention the dropbears.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BonzoESC posted:

Get used to it. Huge, high-bypass twinjets are simply the most economical commercial airliner you can build right now (source: 777, 787, 737, A320, A350, E-170/190).

I don't mind them on anything other than the 737 just because the 737 is still using a gear height and overall design for the JTD8 :derp:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

Never be a tall person in a Canadair Regional Jet; I don't have anywhere to put my head and shoulders if I'm in a window seat, and if I'm standing up, I have to stoop over.

I actually find the ERJ to be more comfortable than the CRJ, but if we're talking 75-100 seat market the E-Jets are awesome.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blacknose posted:

Not to mention the dropbears.

The dropbears :ohdear:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

TA-134? He used to park that thing at Summit all the time when I was down there working.

If it's the "Cumberland Belle," then yup, less nose cone:

Actually no, not only the nosecone but the wings aren't painted yellow.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 5, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

If it's the "Cumberland Belle," then yup, less nose cone:

Actually no, not only the nosecone but the wings aren't painted yellow.

Yeah, different airplane.

They both have Chinooks in the background, though. Old ones get dismantled at Summit, new ones get modded at Milville.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't mind them on anything other than the 737 just because the 737 is still using a gear height and overall design for the JTD8 :derp:

A lumpy 737 engine; the clearance between engine and ground is basically the constraint on engine size. The 737 MAX will have longer gear in order to support a bigger engine.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I'm curious how much that's going to screw with ground crews. Some of the jetways probably won't move vertically without a fight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm curious how much that's going to screw with ground crews. Some of the jetways probably won't move vertically without a fight.

Would it be possible to build kneeling gear? It's not like that lumpy nacelle is dragging on the ground.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Greetings from opening day at Tiger Stadium Comerica Park. I love me some A-10's as much as the next guy, but something about an A-10 flyover is kinda :effort:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 5, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

It'll probably only be a problem at Southwest stations; the front doors on existing 737 classics (200-500) and NGs (600-900) are all between 2.6m and 2.8m above the ground1, the popular knockoff A320 has that door 3.5m off the ground2, and the MD-90 used when a 737 is too big has it 2.5m off the ground3.

They're not boosting it up to the towering 7.8m the upper deck of the A3804 by any means.

See section 2.3 in all these documents:
1: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/737sec2.pdf
2: http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/tech_data/AC/Airbus_AC_A320_20110501_Apr11.pdf
3: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/md90sec2.pdf
4: http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/tech_data/AC/Airbus-AC-A380-20111101.pdf

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

BonzoESC posted:

It'll probably only be a problem at Southwest stations.

And any concern they may have didn't stop them from placing a firm order for 150 planes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Understeer posted:

And any concern they may have didn't stop them from placing a firm order for 150 planes.

Considering it's only a gear length change of six inches (0.15m), that height change is the same as the one between an empty and a full 737-300/500/700.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Greetings from opening day at Tiger Stadium Comerica Park. I love me some A-10's as much as the next guy, but something about an A-10 flyover is kinda :effort:

A-10 flyovers are awesome if they're booking it OR if they're only 100 feet up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phy posted:

Would it be possible to build kneeling gear? It's not like that lumpy nacelle is dragging on the ground.

What why the gently caress would you go to this level of expense when you could just repair the jetbridges that are stuck in place?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

A lumpy 737 engine; the clearance between engine and ground is basically the constraint on engine size. The 737 MAX will have longer gear in order to support a bigger engine.

I know all this?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:stare: You're a Michigoon too?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What why the gently caress would you go to this level of expense when you could just repair the jetbridges that are stuck in place?

Agreed. It's far cheaper to 'fix' the airport. Look at the A380; all airport modifications for the upper jetway combined don't add up to a single airframe.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

A-10s again this year? I heard them in my neighborhood but didn't see them. Not like last year when a pair streaked over the house and set me and my daughter giggling and pressing our faces against the window to have a look at them.

Movax posted:

:stare: You're a michgoon too?

Lotta Michgoons up in here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

Agreed. It's far cheaper to 'fix' the airport. Look at the A380; all airport modifications for the upper jetway combined don't add up to a single airframe.

There was an interesting thing that was pointed out to me. The soviets tended to design aircraft to accommodate the extant infrastructure - so for instance the IL-86 has extremely low ground pressure for its size due to the fact that they didn't want to rebuild a shitload of runways. The West took basically the exact opposite approach - just build the plane exactly the way you want it in a vacuum and the infrastructure will be created to fill the need.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

A-10 flyovers are awesome if they're booking it OR if they're only 100 feet up.

They were doing neither of those things :negative:

It might be the Eagle-keeper in me but it isn't a fast jet flyover it isn't a flyover :911:

movax posted:

:stare: You're a Michigoon too?

:stare:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am cool with B1/B2 flyovers those are rad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Every non T-38 flyover is a good flyover.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was an interesting thing that was pointed out to me. The soviets tended to design aircraft to accommodate the extant infrastructure - so for instance the IL-86 has extremely low ground pressure for its size due to the fact that they didn't want to rebuild a shitload of runways. The West took basically the exact opposite approach - just build the plane exactly the way you want it in a vacuum and the infrastructure will be created to fill the need.

Your average runway costs something like $1-2 Million per linear meter to build. You need 2,000 to 3,000 such meters to operate a conventional heavy aircraft design. Russia has very poor infrastructure throughout most of its vast territory and would require many hundreds of those 2,000-3,000 meter runways. At $1M/meter it adds up.

The Russians were building aircraft capable of operating from poorly prepared runways in Siberia, Urals, Caucuses and the other 90% of the country, which I think is a bit different to building to fit a jetway height

edit: The B-36 was originally designed with single wheel main gear, but the contact pressure would shatter any runway in the world with the exception of 3 (I can't remember which 3). They changed the design the 6 wheel bogies to compensate - it's not just a russian thing to build to your runway specs.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 5, 2012

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

It might be the Eagle-keeper in me but it isn't a fast jet flyover it isn't a flyover :911:

Ha, you would have loved the Astros game in Corpus earlier this week, with a T-34 flyover.

Impressive!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BonzoESC posted:

Never be a tall person in a Canadair Regional Jet; I don't have anywhere to put my head and shoulders if I'm in a window seat, and if I'm standing up, I have to stoop over.

The difference is you're only ever on a CRJ for a couple of hours.

Singapore to London is about 12 hours which is particularly irritating when its the second leg of your trip 24 hour trip.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Lotta Michgoons up in here.
Yup. I didn't know that Selfridge had an A-10 squadron until just now. No clue how I missed that. Seems like a weird place to base A-10s out of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Your average runway costs something like $1-2 Million per linear meter to build. You need 2,000 to 3,000 such meters to operate a conventional heavy aircraft design. Russia has very poor infrastructure throughout most of its vast territory and would require many hundreds of those 2,000-3,000 meter runways. At $1M/meter it adds up.

The Russians were building aircraft capable of operating from poorly prepared runways in Siberia, Urals, Caucuses and the other 90% of the country, which I think is a bit different to building to fit a jetway height

edit: The B-36 was originally designed with single wheel main gear, but the contact pressure would shatter any runway in the world with the exception of 3 (I can't remember which 3). They changed the design the 6 wheel bogies to compensate - it's not just a russian thing to build to your runway specs.

Yeah sorry if it wasn't clear but I wasn't talking about jetway heights and poo poo. Obviously at the extremes you have to compensate for infrastructure, per your B-36 example.

There wasn't any implication that what the Russians did was wrong or incorrect, which you seem to be ascribing to my post. It's just a different approach and one that may well have been better suited to their specific realities.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

Yup. I didn't know that Selfridge had an A-10 squadron until just now. No clue how I missed that. Seems like a weird place to base A-10s out of.

Don't worry they're going away due to budget cuts.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Captain Postal posted:

Your figure seems awfully high. ATL completed a new runway in 2006: 9000ft by 170ft at a cost of $1.3B. This included $390M in land acquisitions, $160M in bridge structures for an interstate crossing, and $44M for a new control tower. The cost of turning a parcel of unimproved land into a modern widebody runway seems to be more on the order of $300k per linear meter.

Still not exactly a bargain...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Don't worry they're going away due to budget cuts.

I think that just leaves us with a few KC-135s?

Michigan has no significance :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am cool with B1/B2 flyovers those are rad.

My dad and I saw a B2 flyover at an airshow when I was in high school. It was all foggy, of course. The announcer guy on the loudspeaker was saying stuff like "I promise it's out there, folks," but we could hear nothing and see nothing. With absolutely no warning it just kind of appeared. To start with it was only a horizontal line, but then it banked and showed us its soft underbelly. Only then did I hear anything.

Cool loving plane.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

movax posted:

They did that with Eielson, too.

I think they just have enough KC-135s they just hand them out to keep people happy the base isn't straight-up closed.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL0gQhqhAjs

A windy day at Tokyo's two airports. Video showing a bunch of go arounds. Look at that wing flex.

One casualty was a Japan Airlines 777 which suffered a tail strike through the rear pressure bulkhead. Supposidly there is a youtube video of it happening at Haneda, people said it looked like it was ago around after deploying thrust reversers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

movax posted:

And some Coastie and Army Choppers. There was talk of some of those new small cargo planes but welp those were cut. Rumor had it UAV's were coming to Battle Creek (but only the pilots).

KC-135 could be cool I guess.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/06/navy-jet-crashes-in-virginia/

quote:

A Navy jet crashed Friday near Virginia Beach, Virginia, a military spokesman said.

The plane appears to have crashed into some apartments, and two apartment buildings were on fire, CNN affiliate WTKR reported, citing witnesses.

The jet was from Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Authorities did not immediately know the status of the crew of the two-seater F/A-18, said Lt. Cmdr. Mike Kafka, a Navy spokesman.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Witnesses say the pilots ejected, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

grover posted:

Witnesses say the pilots ejected, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Navy spokesperson confirms both pilots ejected, at least one is currently at a VA Beach hospital.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/military-plane-crashes-in-virginia-beach

A few more photos of the crash site there as well.