Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DoctorWhat posted:

Is that Lalla Ward? She's married to Richard Dawkins? Wow, you learn something new every day!

Here's what I learned by googling her name:

Wikipedia posted:

Her great-grandmother Mary Ward was a talented illustrator and amateur scientist, and is documented as the first person in the world to die in a motor vehicle accident.

That's what you get when you play god!!! :arghfist::catholic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Shima Honnou posted:

Andy I'm pretty sure is just an idiot.

I think he read Bob Altermeyer's The Authoritarians and mistook it for the Bible :D.

Fundies and zealots can be fairly intelligent, but when they are, they use that intelligence to further solidify and justify their position, and expand the influence of the Movement.

For the dumb fundie and the smart fundie both, the core goal is always to flee ambiguity and complexity, as fast and as far as your mouth and your mental legs can take you.

Well, and intellect =! emotional maturity. You can be reasonably bright intellectually, while still being an emotional toddler. This is how someone can have an advanced degree in math, but still be prone to tantrums, hissy fits, and bids for attention. Part of Andy has just never grown up.

colonelslime posted:

Rather, more education seemed to polarize people even more, with the educated using their acquired skills to justify pre-held biases.

Aye. And, not even intelligent and open-minded people are immune to the current of their own cognitive processes, because the brain craves consistency, congruence, and predictability, and is willing to perform a number of nifty cognitive somersaults (see: the flash-lag effect) to avoid spending more energy or generating more dissonance than necessary to make sense of the world.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 2, 2012

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

andrew smash posted:

He's not even an idiot exactly, whatever he is he's intelligent enough to finish an electrical engineering degree and get into harvard's law school, yet he also managed to produce conservapedia. He is a bizarre man. I would feel sorry for him if he wasn't such a piece of poo poo.

He's fascinating, I'd really like to have some sort of alarm that would tell me when Andy is writing something insane on the net because it's so entertaining. I just wish a player from a sport Andy knows nothing about comes out as super Christain but is a really mediocre player so Andy can proclaim him the greats player of that sport who has ever lived.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ultragonk posted:

He's fascinating, I'd really like to have some sort of alarm that would tell me when Andy is writing something insane on the net because it's so entertaining. I just wish a player from a sport Andy knows nothing about comes out as super Christain but is a really mediocre player so Andy can proclaim him the greats player of that sport who has ever lived.

This already happened, his name was tim tebow

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

andrew smash posted:

This already happened, his name was tim tebow

Good point, but I was thinking more like curling or Aussie rules. Actually I wouldn't care what the subject was Andy comes out with such amazing crap it's some of the funniest stuff on the net today. It's just a pity some people probably agree with it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Oh if only there was some super Christian sepak takraw player, if for no other reason than to introduce more people to sepak takraw.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
If Conservative is autistic (which is possible, looking at all the stuff he's written), then he definitely has additional conditions or disorders. Every single autistic person I grew up with and knew had severe issues with cognitive dissonance - it's very noticeable and grating when stuff doesn't "click" or fit, and our lack of social skill means we complain about it frequently. For him to be able to accept all his bullshit means he's particularly defective.

Edit: Either that or he was raised and educated so badly that his ability to sort and process information has been malformed, which I'd say still counts as a disorder.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 2, 2012

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Small Frozen Thing posted:

If Conservative is autistic (which is possible, looking at all the stuff he's written), then he definitely has additional conditions or disorders. Every single autistic person I grew up with and knew had severe issues with cognitive dissonance - it's very noticeable and grating when stuff doesn't "click" or fit, and our lack of social skill means we complain about it frequently. For him to be able to accept all his bullshit means he's particularly defective.

I've had several friends and acquaintances on the spectrum---one of whom was a hardcore Republican, the other, an extremely devout and theologically-conservative Christian.

They weren't upset about the disconnect between the doctrine and the reality, because they weren't aware of it. The devout Christian had never been educated about Christianity's various hypocrisies and crimes against humanity, and the ultra-Republican couldn't read social situations or cues well enough to be able to tell by himself when his candidates were lying or cutting corners.

It takes a measure of cognitive sophistication to be able to read when someone is lying--or even, to realize that a person is capable of lying, or that their motives for doing or saying something might not match yours.

In both cases, the doctrine's underlying logic was found sufficiently appealing and congruent, and so all that messy human "stuff" didn't matter.

But, granted, in both these cases, these dudes were fairly young, and still had a lot to learn and experience.

I'd tend to agree, personally, that an inability to parse disconnects or deal with dissonance to this extreme degree constitutes at least some kind of disorder. It's certainly an impediment to normal functioning in my book, that's for sure.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 2, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ultragonk posted:

. I just wish a player from a sport Andy knows nothing about comes out as super Christain but is a really mediocre player so Andy can proclaim him the greats player of that sport who has ever lived.

Can it be a fit, attractive Indian Christian cricketer so Conservative can swoon too?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Binowru posted:

Oh if only there was some super Christian sepak takraw player, if for no other reason than to introduce more people to sepak takraw.

That reminds me of one of my favorite videos from The Onion:

Ngyuen Thi Buch Thuy "Just give me the drat Sepak Takraw ball"

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tartarus Sauce posted:

My sampling is probably pretty biased - I was going to a school for kids too smart for normal SpEd schools, but too unpleasant or weird for normal school. But some of them were conservatives, so what you're saying sounds right - if they're unaware of the issues, it won't bug them.
Something that's interesting is how they react if you present them with solid evidence that could induce cognitive dissonance. I've found that while most hardcore rightwingers just stonewall - "not true, I know it" - autistic rightwingers actually get nervous and visibly squirm when I bring up hypocrisies and inconsistencies. They'll eventually get panicky and yell at me to shut up, because cognitive dissonance is so unpleasant for us that it's actually painful. It's pretty sad, honestly. :(
Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I've found that while most hardcore rightwingers just stonewall - "not true, I know it" - autistic rightwingers actually get nervous and visibly squirm when I bring up hypocrisies and inconsistencies. They'll eventually get panicky and yell at me to shut up, because cognitive dissonance is so unpleasant for us that it's actually painful. It's pretty sad, honestly. :(
Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Which, to my mind, makes the autistic right-wingers that much more intellectually and morally honest! At least they're aware of the dissonance!

It also shows, I think, how even people on the spectrum can be driven as intensely and profoundly by emotion as the neurotypicals, despite their outward appearance. Most people would probably expect autistics to just go where Logic leads, a la Spock, but it's clear that they had deep emotional ties to those beliefs.

Any interesting stories in particular? What hypocrisies or inconsistencies did you bring up?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Can it be a fit, attractive Indian Christian cricketer so Conservative can swoon too?

Yes, yes it can. One with a name they couldn't pronounce in a million years.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Which, to my mind, makes the autistic right-wingers that much more intellectually and morally honest! At least they're aware of the dissonance!

It also shows, I think, how even people on the spectrum can be driven as intensely and profoundly by emotion as the neurotypicals, despite their outward appearance. Most people would probably expect autistics to just go where Logic leads, a la Spock, but it's clear that they had deep emotional ties to those beliefs.

Any interesting stories in particular? What hypocrisies or inconsistencies did you bring up?

Oh, we're very emotional. There's a reason the "lol autistics are robots" meme is pretty offensive to me. It's really just a matter of habit - if we can't intuit why someone is doing something naturally, then we have to use logic and try to reason it out. And if we happen to suck at reasoning and using logic too... Well, I suppose you end up with Conservative.

As for details, it was mostly just stuff like "Politician you support voted against the Americans with Disabilities act", "Ollie North technically committed treason", "your parents will not suddenly start paying huge taxes because they get $300,000 a year, the vast majority of that will be taxed at lower brackets, here let me show you the math". Facts, not opinions. Opinions, they are quick to say don't matter as much.
A lot of the time, they're clinging to some kind of social identity, a group they can "belong" to without actually doing much more than holding similar viewpoints. Making them feel uncomfortable and unhappy with that group is perceived as an attack on their "connection", however feeble it may be.
I think the closest I have to a success story is convincing a guy that his weird sexual issues weren't evil, and he didn't have to be a Republican just because his parents were. He then went on to join the furry fandom, but it was still a net gain. :v:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

It's Tuesday, and that means it's about time for Andy to start making poo poo up again.

From the news section:

quote:

The theory of an old universe is contradicted again, this time by discovery of planets that formed "at dawn of universe." [1] How many counterexamples to an Old Earth does an atheist need in order to start opening his mind?

Apparently "dawn of the universe" means "hand of God." Let's see what the actual article says.

Christian Science Monitor posted:

Planets found at dawn of universe, but their existence is a mystery

Scientists have found two planets orbiting a star that formed only a billion years after the big bang. But the universe had few planet-making elements then, so how did the planets form?

Two planets from a period near the dawn of the cosmos are hinting that there may be more than one way to sow the seeds of planet formation.

A team of astronomers reports it has found two planets orbiting a star some 376 light-years from Earth in the constellation Cetus. The team estimates that the star is 12.8 billion years old, indicating that the star and its planets formed only a billion years after the universe itself emerged in what astrophysicists have dubbed the big bang.

By contrast, the solar system humans inhabit formed about 4.6 billion years ago.

The article is fairly interesting actually if you like space and stuff.

Someone rightly calls Andy out on the talk page. I really cannot believe the following statements came from a man with a Harvard law degree:

quote:

Sorry, you're saying that a planet formed around a star that's 12.8 billion years old is evidence for a young universe? --JasperK 14:08, 2 April 2012 (EDT)

No, obviously not. The evidence is that the planets were formed at the dawn of the universe, and that disproves theories of an old universe. The claims of an old date are based on circular reasoning and implausible assumptions. For the flaws in claims of an Old Earth, see Radiometric dating.--Andy Schlafly 14:45, 2 April 2012 (EDT)

:psyduck:

Sorry - I'm still not with you. You're saying it disproves theories of an old universe, but it's not evidence for a young universe?--JasperK 14:59, 2 April 2012 (EDT)

The "12.8 billion years" date is based on flawed assumptions. It's as meaningless as speculating precisely the time that a crime was committed, when all that matters is who committed the crime. Likewise, if planets and stars were formed together, as the evidence now suggests (and old universe believers long denied), then it's a young universe.--Andy Schlafly 17:15, 2 April 2012 (EDT)

Okay, so the 12.8 billion years date is based on flawed assumptions. But that's not what you're saying about the CSMonitor article; you're saying it contradicts the idea of the old universe. It doesn't. You have arguments against an old universe, others disagree, but this report adds nothing new to that particular debate.--JasperK 18:05, 2 April 2012 (EDT)

The CSMonitor article sets forth new evidence that confounds the old universe theory - that's why it is news--Andy Schlafly 01:32, 3 April 2012 (EDT)

I just don't even know.

Andy Schlafly: Astrophysicist and Scholar.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 3, 2012

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Oh, we're very emotional. There's a reason the "lol autistics are robots" meme is pretty offensive to me. It's really just a matter of habit - if we can't intuit why someone is doing something naturally, then we have to use logic and try to reason it out. And if we happen to suck at reasoning and using logic too... Well, I suppose you end up with Conservative.

Ooh, snap. Conservative: Sucks At Everything. :D

quote:

A lot of the time, they're clinging to some kind of social identity, a group they can "belong" to without actually doing much more than holding similar viewpoints. Making them feel uncomfortable and unhappy with that group is perceived as an attack on their "connection", however feeble it may be.

Right--especially since it's often so hard for people on the spectrum to forge those connections in the first place!

quote:

I think the closest I have to a success story is convincing a guy that his weird sexual issues weren't evil, and he didn't have to be a Republican just because his parents were. He then went on to join the furry fandom, but it was still a net gain. :v:

Eh, well, we count our blessings, I suppose ;).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

It's as meaningless as speculating precisely the time that a crime was committed, when all that matters is who committed the crime. Likewise, if planets and stars were formed together, as the evidence now suggests (and old universe believers long denied), then it's a young universe.

Wow.

Everytime I think there's a limit to how stupid the leaps of logic Andy has to make, he always manages to exceed them with something stupider.

"Planets formed around a star a billion years after the big bang, 12 billion years ago, ergo because it formed so soon this must support a young universe!" :byodood:

Oh yeah, that's not a contradiction. :rolleyes:

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Is anybody interested in writing a program to scrape the Conservapedia edit history to determine what fraction of edits are made by who. Then perhaps it could be upgraded to estimate how much new content was added by each edit, so we could see what fraction of the content Conservative puts up?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wow.

Everytime I think there's a limit to how stupid the leaps of logic Andy has to make, he always manages to exceed them with something stupider.

"Planets formed around a star a billion years after the big bang, 12 billion years ago, ergo because it formed so soon this must support a young universe!" :byodood:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he read the headline and maybe the first paragraph of the csmonitor article, formed an incorrect conclusion that agrees with his existing views, and would now rather pound his own dick with a hammer as mentioned upthread rather than admit he was sloppy or wrong.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wow.

You missed the headline there:

Andy Schlafly posted:

It's as meaningless as speculating precisely the time that a crime was committed, when all that matters is who committed the crime. Likewise, if planets and stars were formed together, as the evidence now suggests (and old universe believers long denied), then it's a young universe.

How could someone with a law degree say that it's meaningless to determine when a crime was committed? That's how you loving know who committed the crime.

The time of a crime is incredibly important in determining who the actual criminal by figuring out who had the opportunity to commit the crime at the time it actually happened. Knowing when a crime occurred allows law enforcement to rule out potential suspects by determining where they actually were when the crime was committed and keep other people with motive and means under suspicion until their location at the time of the crime can be independently determined. I.e. the whole concept of having an alibi.

This is just further evidence against crediting Andy's time at Harvard as a positive attribute. It's pretty clear he learned absolutely nothing at Harvard Law and was probably only on Law Review because of his famous, wealthy family.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Law schools all over the country are filled with idiots just like him, unfortunately.

The guy was probably a loving gunner, too. Dick.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

The Rokstar posted:

Law schools all over the country are filled with idiots just like him, unfortunately.

Yeah, but Harvard has easily one of the best and most exclusive law schools in the nation. It's not like he went to the law school at Liberty University, you'd expect this kind of idiocy and myopia from one of their graduates, but not from loving Harvard.

The Rokstar posted:

The guy was probably a loving gunner, too. Dick.

I'd never heard the term "gunner" before your post, but after googling it, it seems like a perfect fit for Schlafly.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Was somewhat surprised to see this on the article on penguins:

quote:

Roy and Silo, two male homosexual birds in the penguin enclosure at New York's Central Park Zoo, built a nest, incubated an egg, and successfully raised a chick. They exhibited courting behaviour, built a nest together, and ignored all the advances from female penguins. When keepers gave them a fake egg to look after, they behaved like model parents. So, when another breeding pair stopped looking after one of their eggs, the keepers gave it to Roy and Silo who successfully hatched it and raised a chick called Tango. However, the following season Silo left Roy and mated with a female penguin named Scrappy who'd just transferred in from Sea World Zoo in San Diego. [3]

Or at least surprised to see it without some ranting afterwards about how it is unnatural or something.

Incidentally, i thought i was blocked from Conservapedia since i am from the socialist atheist hellhole that is Europe. Odd.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Yeah, but Harvard has easily one of the best and most exclusive law schools in the nation. It's not like he went to the law school at Liberty University, you'd expect this kind of idiocy and myopia from one of their graduates, but not from loving Harvard.
Harvard is full of two types of people; those clever enough to get in and those wealthy or from a prestigious enough family to get in. There's some overlap but not much.

Also he was post-grad at Harvard which is much much easier than getting in for undergrad.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Also he was post-grad at Harvard which is much much easier than getting in for undergrad.

Harvard's law school is top 3 in the country.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

This is great. From the talk page for the main page:

quote:

"Conservative Rand Paul's state of Kentucky cruises to the national college championship, defeating Kansas in the finals. [5]". Championship of what? If we're supposed to be doing a news headlines, that's not a very good headline, sorry. JanW 17:12, 3 April 2012 (EDT)

quote:

Sure, the word "basketball" probably should have been included in the headline somewhere, but it's not worth making a big deal about. Someone who really didn't know what championship it was could have just clicked on the link or looked 2 headlines down. --BaileyJ 23:01, 3 April 2012 (EDT)

quote:

Right. Also, headlines are best when they are concise, and spelling out the sport seems unnecessary to me.--Andy Schlafly 23:21, 3 April 2012 (EDT)

Yes, headlines are best when they're concise, and it seemed FAR MORE IMPORTANT to mention the name of the junior senator of the state that the winning team was from than it was to mention the sport that the championship was of. Whoever said he couldn't admit to being wrong was dead on, because all it would have taken was an "Oops, yeah, let me add that to the headline."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm afraid I don't follow your liberal logic. How can Andy ever admit that he's wrong if he's always right?

Here's the humor and "wit" level we're dealing with:

quote:

I have decided...

That the liberal worldview is correct and that communism is the way to go. The North Koreans have it right; the only one's that deserve to live above poverty levels are government officials. And you know what, everybody should subscribe to socialist medicine and attend public schools, and the wishes of the liberal labor unions should come before quality care and education for patients and students. Additionally, everybody should get food stamps, or better yet, private grocery stores should be banned and replaced with government canteens. After all, why should people get to decide what the eat anyway? All red meat ought to be banned because it's bad for you and is bad for the environment. If we continue to eat red meat and drive cars the planet is going to melt because of global warming. In fact, I think the government should limit the number of times people can go to the bathroom per day, because going to the bathroom contributes to global warming. So does breathing, which is why I think we should all follow China with their one-child policy.
And before anybody does anything rash, look at your calendar, because it's April Fools Day:):):):)! DMorris 09:56, 1 April 2012 (EDT)

I really enjoyed your witty posting!--Andy Schlafly 11:02, 1 April 2012 (EDT)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The name "BaileyJ" sounds like it may be a troll name, considering that "Bailey Jay" is a transgender porn artist. Of course, it may be a coincidence, but it stood out to me.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Elim Garak posted:

This is great. From the talk page for the main page:

Yes, headlines are best when they're concise, and it seemed FAR MORE IMPORTANT to mention the name of the junior senator of the state that the winning team was from than it was to mention the sport that the championship was of. Whoever said he couldn't admit to being wrong was dead on, because all it would have taken was an "Oops, yeah, let me add that to the headline."

Also, the headline that's two headlines down:

Conservapedia posted:

As they face off tonight for the basketball championship, the University of Kentucky is better than the University of Kansas: Kentucky charges "only" $127,016 for the worst college major (gender studies), while Kansas charges $139,328. [17] And those are government schools demanding that.

No mention of Rand Paul, but they do include the crazy assertion that Kentucky is better than Kansas because tuition is lower for gender studies. :psyduck:

Binowru fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 4, 2012

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
That attempt to connect Rand Paul to the basketball championship is pretty funny considering he never went to the University of Kentucky, and in fact all of his education throughout his life came from outside the state of Kentucky.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Elim Garak posted:

"Conservative Rand Paul's state of Kentucky cruises to the national college championship, defeating Kansas in the finals. [5]"
Kansas is a conservative state too, right? In a game between two conservative states it's not that surprising that one of them wins.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Shima Honnou posted:

The name "BaileyJ" sounds like it may be a troll name, considering that "Bailey Jay" is a transgender porn artist. Of course, it may be a coincidence, but it stood out to me.

Only saying because it's not a perfect world, but it's this kind of statement that inadvertantly gets a man into trouble.

Exioce fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 4, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Exioce posted:

Only saying because it's not a perfect world, but it's this kind of statement that inadvertantly gets a man into trouble.

I don't mean it negatively, it's just a thing that stood out to me.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't mean it negatively, it's just a thing that stood out to me.

No, no, I meant that someone might naturally enquire "how is it that you know so well about the performing names of transgender porn stars?" and if you were a Republican politician it might be the end of your career.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

kissekatt posted:

Kansas is a conservative state too, right? In a game between two conservative states it's not that surprising that one of them wins.
Nevermind that the college with the most wins is UCLA. Also last year was Duke, which is in North Carolina's Austin-like scooter-infested leftopia.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Harvard is full of two types of people; those clever enough to get in and those wealthy or from a prestigious enough family to get in. There's some overlap but not much.

It's not really "easier", they still accept like, 10% of applicants a year but the applicant pool is much smaller because of the increased requirements.

People smart enough to get into Harvard can still have horrible political opinions though

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's not really "easier", they still accept like, 10% of applicants a year but the applicant pool is much smaller because of the increased requirements.

People smart enough to get into Harvard can still have horrible political opinions though

But it's not so much that Schlafly just has terrible political opinions, it's that he's stupid and ignorant as hell.

Just look at the example I noted, he's claiming that it's inconsequential to determine the exact time a crime took place, which is absolutely absurd to anyone who knows about the criminal justice system, and Schlafly has a loving law degree. This is stuff you'd learn from just watching Law & Order, or maybe one of those true crime reality TV shows, but Schlafly can't get it right with a law degree under his belt.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Bruce Leroy posted:

But it's not so much that Schlafly just has terrible political opinions, it's that he's stupid and ignorant as hell.

Just look at the example I noted, he's claiming that it's inconsequential to determine the exact time a crime took place, which is absolutely absurd to anyone who knows about the criminal justice system, and Schlafly has a loving law degree. This is stuff you'd learn from just watching Law & Order, or maybe one of those true crime reality TV shows, but Schlafly can't get it right with a law degree under his belt.

Oh, I'm sure Schlafly realizes that "opportunity" is as crucial as "method" and "motive". But when you definitively know who the perpetrator is, ahead of time -- say, because the perpetrator's identity is a central tenet of your religion...

... yeah, it's not a very good metaphor. But that's the thing: Schlafly can't admit that he used poor judgment, even in such a minor issue as this.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Exioce posted:

No, no, I meant that someone might naturally enquire "how is it that you know so well about the performing names of transgender porn stars?" and if you were a Republican politician it might be the end of your career.

Bailey J was quite 4chan famous for a while. And honestly, I think that's much a much worse thing to admit to knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Roblo posted:

Was somewhat surprised to see this on the article on penguins:

Or at least surprised to see it without some ranting afterwards about how it is unnatural or something.

Incidentally, i thought i was blocked from Conservapedia since i am from the socialist atheist hellhole that is Europe. Odd.

They want to hold up the fact that the penguin stopped trying to mate with another male as some sort of proof that you can cure being gay, I guess. Except all that article would say if he was trying to make that case is that bisexuality seems totally ok and that it makes you a very caring parent unless you introduce multiple strangers to the mix. Then again, if you're looking for logic behind articles in Conservapedia, you'll be looking for a long time.

• Locked thread