Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hockey is also just a hard sport to do the small shop thing with. The merchandise is already expensive so most of the time you don't have much choice but to have a decent markup just so you can pay the rent. On top of that there is so much variation in equipment that it's expensive just to stock up.

My LHS is always +/- $10 of online prices before shipping so they are almost always the same price or sometimes a bit cheaper. Only negatives are they do not always have the best selection and its 40 mins away.

The only thing I order online now are stick packs from hockey money and tape from ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Tape I'm set for life. Every year Perani's has a clearance sale and sells 10 rolls for $10. :smug:

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Thufir posted:

Yeah I would say go with Icewarehouse first but they don't seem to carry Graf. Their prices are sometimes a little higher but I don't think Hockey Monkey does free shipping. IW does free 2-day on orders over $200 too so good for skates.

IW also does free return shipping on all skates so you could get a couple sizes and return the one that doesn't fit best. I've never done this but every time I've had to deal with IW, things have gone smoothly. They even helped me warranty a stick that was out of the warranty period - it was a shaft and I ended up with a full one piece from the manufacturer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm the only one who wears Reebok under the tongue. Weird.

I should have had my first IM point tonight; faceoff at center ice, center wins it in the air towards me, I whack it out of the air and he takes it all the way and scores. Too bad the lovely refs didn't see it. I even yelled at the guy that I touched that one!

oh well. Still had a ton of fun, and this year there were even a couple guys on my team cool enough to grab a few beers after the game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

Crossovers are the biggest thing to focus on learning.. they open up just about everything it means to "power skate".

You can work up to them by practicing c-cuts and pivot turns (google them) because they really teach you to learn and trust your edges.

I'm having trouble with crossovers in that I've fallen into a bad habit when I learned how to do them a month ago. Instead of straight up crossing my outside skate over, I've started to kind of roll my inside ankle so that it can sort of push/go behind my outside skate. Because of this, I'm overcompensating on my outside skate push (and getting a really huge push), and I can't repeat that the crossover until I kind of get 'set' again.

edit: I really enjoy the learn to skate classes even though I fall down a lot for being too aggressive. It just kinda sucks that as I progress through these classes, they don't seem to have as much application for playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That sounds like good habit to me.. my coach is always yelling at us to "break our ankle" so we can properly settle on the outside edge of a skate and use it to push. That's why crossovers generate so much speed, both skates are pushing as you turn.

Only problem might be is you're not used to the motion yet and your balance is a little off.. your body will figure it out eventually.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm having trouble with crossovers in that I've fallen into a bad habit when I learned how to do them a month ago. Instead of straight up crossing my outside skate over, I've started to kind of roll my inside ankle so that it can sort of push/go behind my outside skate. Because of this, I'm overcompensating on my outside skate push (and getting a really huge push), and I can't repeat that the crossover until I kind of get 'set' again.

edit: I really enjoy the learn to skate classes even though I fall down a lot for being too aggressive. It just kinda sucks that as I progress through these classes, they don't seem to have as much application for playing hockey.
What, are they teaching you jumps or something?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

Well you actually do want to be pushing with your inside leg too. You might not be getting on the outside edge of your inside skate enough. You could practice taking a big push with your outside skate and then gliding on the outside edge of your inner skate without actually crossing over (you will curve to the side doing this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYfKcWosp0&feature=related

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Doctor Butts posted:

Great skating lets you do this http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=170012&cmpid=twt-inline-video

Basicly, if you are good enough to skate, while carrying the puck, you can be viritually untouchable.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
16" CCMs, 74 in HT, Over for ever yo!

Seriously, I don't know how the people who wear theirs under find it comfortable. But I also like my skates super tight so that may be part of it.

I've also always been a big CCM supporter. When I was a kid, Tacks were the only skates I could wear because they provided the best ankle support, and I've just always liked their equipment beyond skates as well.

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 5, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I'm the only one who wears Reebok under the tongue. Weird.

I should have had my first IM point tonight; faceoff at center ice, center wins it in the air towards me, I whack it out of the air and he takes it all the way and scores. Too bad the lovely refs didn't see it. I even yelled at the guy that I touched that one!

:argh:tell me your height and shinguard size so I can fill out the sheet completely:argh:

Reebok pads seem especially bulky down towards the ankle, I'm not sure I could comfortably wear mine under the tongue even if I wanted.

And yeah, in my beer league experience you're probably not going to get credit for an assist that occurs any length of time before the goal since the refs aren't going to care/remember.

Anders posted:

Great skating lets you do this http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=170012&cmpid=twt-inline-video

Basicly, if you are good enough to skate, while carrying the puck, you can be viritually untouchable.

Yeah, I would have exploded my ankles if I tried to do that.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 5, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn I don't think I've ever seen anyone pivot that fast.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I was hoping that was a video of those fancy skating moves he put on later. He was just swerving the poo poo out of people in the corner.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anders posted:

:allears: Datsyuk :allears:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:allears: Datsyuk :allears:

For days.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Anyone have a Youtube link my crappy work won't load the NHL's bloated website even though it used to.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pleads posted:

Anyone have a Youtube link my crappy work won't load the NHL's bloated website even though it used to.

At like :35 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLLIczQUEc

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Pleads posted:

At about 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCJ7PcR5XY

edit: Beaten, but Pleads can watch mine :colbert:

Anders fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 5, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Crossovers are the biggest thing to focus on learning.. they open up just about everything it means to "power skate".

You can work up to them by practicing c-cuts and pivot turns (google them) because they really teach you to learn and trust your edges.
I looked up backwards c-cuts last night on youtube, and I realized I have never skated backwards like that. I use crossovers almost exclusively to generate speed.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Shinguard spreadsheet chat:

15" Easton EQ30s
74" tall
over the tongue, like a boss.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm having trouble with crossovers.

Crossunders :eng101:

The first move should be to cross your inside leg under for M A X I M U M P O W E R. Then push with the outside leg while you bring your inside leg back to position under your body.

It sounds like your problem isn't how aggressive your pushes are, but rather your edge work. For you, grasshoppa, I recommend outside edge drills

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I looked up backwards c-cuts last night on youtube, and I realized I have never skated backwards like that. I use crossovers almost exclusively to generate speed.
My coach loves to yell about technique and he got us all doing those a few weeks ago.. I'm still not very "light on my feet" and when I do those c-cuts I can get going faster than my legs can recover, which usually results in a hilarious fall.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hilarious falls are half the fun of playing hockey. Nothing better than laughing at a teammate who trips over the blue line.

Maybe that's just my team though :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, there's always lots of sticktapping whenever someone takes a spill. They usually end up being called snowcone for the rest of the night too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm a guy that wears shinpads! 15" CCM Vectors, 69" tall, under tongue.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Hockles posted:

I'm a guy that wears shinpads! 15" CCM Vectors, 69" tall, under tongue.

ME TOO! OLD ONES!

No idea about specs, but they are Jofa and under tounge!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shinpads increase the likelihood of a concussion, so I don't wear any.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Concussions could be solved if we all skated naked.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
All this shinguard chat makes me want some new ones. The elastic is wearing out and they keep shifting when I play

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

All this shinguard chat makes me want some new ones. The elastic is wearing out and they keep shifting when I play

Tape the poo poo out of them. :colbert:

I think that's why guys do it anyways. That's why I do it, I hate when they feel like they're floating around in my socks.

Every once in a while I see a guy who secures is shin guards with some old skate laces, that seems pretty smart because it means he doesn't have to keep buying tape.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

Tape the poo poo out of them. :colbert:

Every once in a while I see a guy who secures is shin guards with some old skate laces, that seems pretty smart because it means he doesn't have to keep buying tape.

I use laces and tape. I'm a freak like that and don't want anything budging an inch.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I bought new... X90s or something. They are bulky as hell compared to my old ones so I had to switch to over the tongue, but I am thankful for them every time I take a bomb off the leg and don't feel it. They also have wrap around calf protection, which honestly has been more useful for dulling the pain of a slash over any pucks to the back of the leg.

One of the arm pads fell off my shoulder pads last game, I bought safety pins to re-attach it but have forgotten so far. I like them too much to worry about dropping $50 on a new set.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I got some of these for christmas

It's funny, they are super bulky and padded but still noticeably lighter than my old Eastons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah the reebok guards are enormous.. I easily have the thickest legs on the ice because of it.

But they do seem light and all I feel is a thud when some shoots at me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

14" Hespeler, 70" tall, over tongue

They're going on 15 years old at this point and they're barely holding together, but gently caress it they're awesome :colbert:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

I skate with a guy who uses yellow caution tape because, as he says, it's cheaper and it works just as well. Totally badass.

Makes me want to get some police line tape the next time I need some.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I've played with a lot of people who use postal service priority mail tape they get for free.

Also shinguard chat I have Warrior Method jr 12", I'm about 61" tall and I wear them over the tongue! :cool:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

lazerwolf posted:

If you have access to a sewing machine, you can cut the strap and sew it back on about 2" back and it makes them like new again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dms666 posted:

If you have access to a sewing machine, you can cut the strap and sew it back on about 2" back and it makes them like new again.

Or skip the cut, fold the strap to make an 'S' shape in it, and sew right through the fold. Can do it with a needle and thread if you want.. the worst that happens if the thread breaks is the strap extends to its old length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Topoisomerase posted:

I've played with a lot of people who use postal service priority mail tape they get for free.

Also shinguard chat I have Warrior Method jr 12", I'm about 61" tall and I wear them over the tongue! :cool:

I've done that before. One of our HS asst coaches was a mailman. Also you should just let them dangle IMO!