Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I have absolutely loved this take on the origin of Superman, though I wish the art hadn't taken such a weird turn on the final few pages. That close-up of Superman flying was a little weird perspective-wise.

Also - we all know he'll be back in the classic costume in a few years, so this'll feel dated the second that happens. But otherwise I can't find an awful lot wrong with it.

That said: I am 100% looking forward to Grant Morrison taking Superman to new places and meeting new foes. A big game hunter with alien-killing bullets sounds just my speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That couldn't happen unless the pull the plug on the reboot and have everyone wake up from a dream back where we were.
Remember he's starting out in Kryptonian DNA armor and would have to make a conscious decision to move on to cloth and red undies. Where would that come from? He'd have to see a photo of a turn of the century circus strong man and get inspired.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Magic Love Hose posted:

That close-up of Superman flying was a little weird perspective-wise.
That page was sort of crazy/wonderful, and reminded me of the very final shot of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Of course I can't find a pic online, but if you've seen the movie, you know it.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

Teenage Fansub posted:

That couldn't happen unless the pull the plug on the reboot and have everyone wake up from a dream back where we were.
Remember he's starting out in Kryptonian DNA armor and would have to make a conscious decision to move on to cloth and red undies. Where would that come from? He'd have to see a photo of a turn of the century circus strong man and get inspired.

Maybe he could decide to make the Kryptonian armor look like red undies. You know, gotta keep up with the latest styles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Loved this arc. Really cool take on the origin.

I'm now looking forward to reading about Nimrod the Hunter. I was rereading all the past issues, and in #6 Saturn Girl reveals that it was Nimrod who used a "teleport rifle" to fire the microscopic hollow lead pellet in to Superman's brain. And somehow Myx and the Anti-Superman army (lead by Zod with bandages covering his face?) ended up inside.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was terrified by Alfred E. Newman as a child and pictures like this is why :gonk:

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Yo, did Grant Morrison just get away with publishing a Superman comic where he basically says DC's lawyers are the devil, and that the creators of Superman got completely hosed? Did that just happen?

How the gently caress did this get published?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

d00gZ posted:

Yo, did Grant Morrison just get away with publishing a Superman comic where he basically says DC's lawyers are the devil, and that the creators of Superman got completely hosed? Did that just happen?

Waid once wrote a comic making fun of a DC artist who killed someone with a hammer.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

d00gZ posted:

By being Morrison. What are they going to do, fire him and let him go work for Marvel?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

bobkatt013 posted:

Waid once wrote a comic making fun of a DC artist who killed someone with a hammer.

What?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

What?

Greg Brooks who drew the Crimson Avenger miniseries in 1988 killed his wife with a hammer. Notice the name on who its from (its the Crimson Avengers real name)

This is what got Waid fired from DC in 1988.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Alternate Lois is also reading a hologram Starfire comic. With all the controversy her New 52 iteration got I thought it was a fun nod.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

d00gZ posted:

I usually always miss these things when I read a book the first time, but I read the book before I saw your post and it was clear as day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also a Prez reference with them talking about the popular "President Rickard" in the 70s.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I was hoping for Morrison to get to the trippier stuff once the origin was re-done.

He did not disappoint.

EDIT:

Opopanax posted:

By being Morrison. What are they going to do, fire him and let him go work for Marvel?

I would not be surprised if DC fired Morrison over this.

Yes, it made it to the printed page - that doesn't mean that anyone at the company actually understood what it was publishing and that there won't be consequences once they figure it out. Yes, firing Morrison would be a boneheaded move, but let's not forget what comics company we're talking about. I'm not saying they WILL - but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mike From Nowhere fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 3, 2012

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003
Can someone post what Morrison did or sum it up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

I was hoping for Morrison to get to the trippier stuff once the origin was re-done.

He did not disappoint.

EDIT:

I would not be surprised if DC fired Morrison over this.

Yes, it made it to the printed page - that doesn't mean that anyone at the company actually understood what it was publishing and that there won't be consequences once they figure it out. Yes, firing Morrison would be a boneheaded move, but let's not forget what comics company we're talking about. I'm not saying they WILL - but it wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder if Batman will have a monster who gets rich at the expense of another person and the richer the monster gets the poorer the worker get.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ugenesis posted:

Can someone post what Morrison did or sum it up?

The Lex Luthor of Earth 23 has created some sort of crazy music machine that can access other universes, and out tumble a dying Jimmy, Clark, and a one-eyed Lois. They explain to President Superman that they had created this device that could manifest the human imagination, and together they created the perfect Superman, who "articulate[d] a code of ethics so pure and simple and good that we all wept." Needing more money, they take this idea to a rich technology corporation and they bastardize the concept, creating this horrific embodiment of cynicism and greed, who destroys their world and is hellbent on destroying all of the other universes as well.

It's brilliant.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
You forgot the part where the massive corporation bullies Lois, Clark and Jimmy into selling them the Superman with the threat of LAWYERS.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
There's plenty I left out. This is the money quote:

"We sold out! They had 500 experts lined up, thinking in harmony to streamline the Superman brand for maximum cross-spectrum, wide platform appeal. They built a violent, troubled, faceless anti-hero, concealing a tragic secret life, a global marketing icon. Everybody wears its brand. It makes people feel part of something big and new and cool."

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

There was also a Prez reference with them talking about the popular "President Rickard" in the 70s.

Dammit I just re-read Sandman recently too! *whoosh*

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Was I the only one bothered by the fact that Morrison pretty much let this new Ubermench slaughter the entire kid superhero universe?

I mean what the gently caress, man. That was pointless and stupid, and it really soured me on the whole issue.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

McCloud posted:

Was I the only one bothered by the fact that Morrison pretty much let this new Ubermench slaughter the entire kid superhero universe?

I mean what the gently caress, man. That was pointless and stupid, and it really soured me on the whole issue.

It was far from pointless and stupid. It was making the point that the "more grown-up" DC heroes and comics we've got today are increasingly violent and have pretty much killed the kids comic market. It's feeding off the kid-friendly past to make yet more over-violent toss that bears no resemblance to the comics we (well, the older fans amongst us) grew up loving.

This entire issue was a massive "gently caress you" to DC comics and I love Morrison for writing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

I don't really think it was pointless. The entire issue was being amazingly critical of DC from... basically beginning to end. (I really really doubt it was a coincidence that it used the black Superman.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think it was pointless. The entire issue was being amazingly critical of DC from... basically beginning to end. (I really really doubt it was a coincidence that it used the black Superman.)
As an aside, I really wouldn't mind if Action Comics/Morrison just followed and stuck with the exploits of President Superman; I'm already more invested and interested in his character after one issue than what Grant's done with regular Superman from AC #1-8.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

As an aside, I really wouldn't mind if Action Comics/Morrison just followed and stuck with the exploits of President Superman; I'm already more invested and interested in his character after one issue than what Grant's done with regular Superman from AC #1-8.

To be honest I feel the same way. I might not after a few issues but I found it a really interesting universe to at least look in on.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel the same way. I might not after a few issues but I found it a really interesting universe to at least look in on.

Totally agree, he could rotate through different parallel Supermans once in a while and I would love it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yannick_B posted:

Totally agree, he could rotate through different parallel Supermans once in a while and I would love it.

That would be awesome; who says Superman has to be about Earth-1 Superman only?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

It was far from pointless and stupid. It was making the point that the "more grown-up" DC heroes and comics we've got today are increasingly violent and have pretty much killed the kids comic market. It's feeding off the kid-friendly past to make yet more over-violent toss that bears no resemblance to the comics we (well, the older fans amongst us) grew up loving.

This entire issue was a massive "gently caress you" to DC comics and I love Morrison for writing it.

Now that you mention it does DC have any kid friendly lines? I know that Marvel does have comics made specifically for younger readers, but I don't know as much about DC.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

Bob Quixote posted:

Now that you mention it does DC have any kid friendly lines? I know that Marvel does have comics made specifically for younger readers, but I don't know as much about DC.

The comics they put out based on their animated shows are kid friendly I think. Plus for really young kids they had Tiny Titans and now they'll have Superman Family Adventures to replace that. I think they put out a "DC Nation" app which has all their all ages stuff. That's about all I know though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It would be the way to "franchise"-up Superman the same way Batman Inc and all the multiple Corps stuff did for Green Lantern.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

What amuses me is that Calvin Elliot a) does not wear glasses, and b) is President.

It's like Grant Morrison looked at the glasses disguise and said "well, I can make that look perfectly sane." I wonder if Morrison watched Super President as a kid at all?

meltor
Sep 28, 2002

The Modern Gentleman

Yannick_B posted:

Opopanax posted:

We are now talking about a new monthly ongoing here. Action Comics should be primarily about Earth-1 Superman for sanity's sake.

I'm not arguing with a DC Presents: Superman Tales or whatever, but please, not in Clark Kent's backyard.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
Oh man, I think I'm reading one of the best Superman arcs right now. At least it's already one of my favorite.

You guys remember the corny Superman Blue/Red crap? And the Millenium Giants? Well, I don't know if many people read the arc that came directly after that story, but it's definitely one of my the best Superman stories I've read recently.

I think the arc starts from Adventures of Superman #558, the whole story is about how the Silver Age Superman, Golden Age Superman, Modern Superman, and the Future Superman one day started getting visits from this strange girl telling them that something is in their "world". And later on these individual Superman started realizing that other Superman exists in different timelines. I'm still in the middle of this story but it's so freaking good, especially seeing all the different Superman in their own timelines "awaken". The whole arc is more than 20 issues, so it will take a while to finish it, but so far it's nothing but awesome.

The cover art is fantastic as well.

Realism fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 30, 2012

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Is this the one where everything is done Mort Weisenger-style but set in the modern day, with Steel and Superboy and an around-the-world baseball game?

Loved that one, myself.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Realism posted:

Oh man, I think I'm reading one of the best Superman arcs right now. At least it's already one of my favorite.
Sounds cool--Could you specify which issues and from what titles this encompasses?

edit: never mind, found it

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 30, 2012

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
This here has all the issues listed as well

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

This has probably been covered in the thread, but can someone explain to me what the hell happened in Action Comics 5 & 6? This is my first real introduction to the Superman universe beyond reading Secret Origin a million years ago and I seriously have no idea what the hell just happened with all this time travelling crap. :v is there something else I'm supposed to have read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Quidnose posted:

This has probably been covered in the thread, but can someone explain to me what the hell happened in Action Comics 5 & 6? This is my first real introduction to the Superman universe beyond reading Secret Origin a million years ago and I seriously have no idea what the hell just happened with all this time travelling crap. :v is there something else I'm supposed to have read?
Well first, the biggest issue is that the issues have less than nothing to do with the arc they were in the middle of. 5 and 6 were supposed to happen immediately following the conclusion of the origin arc, but the artist is notoriously late with everything so Morrison switched the issues around. So right off the bat you can forget any tie-in to the origin arc because there really was none.

As for what happened, I don't have the issues directly in front of me, so this may be a little jumbled or off:
The Anti-Superman Army travels through time and steals Kryptonite from the rocket. Superman travels back in time with the Legion to stop them, but he's too late, they've disappeared. Where they've disappered to is a lair located within a lead pellet in Superman's brain. The pellet got there at some point in the future because Nimrod the Hunter (who will be showing up in the next issue) shot it there with a teleportation gun. The Legion senses that they're in the pellet with the villains, so they must've gone back to the future and gone undercover to infiltrate the lair. So they do. But when they're discovered, the little man unleashes the kryptonite, within Supermains brain, which poisons him. However, he uses the rocket like a conduit to sap the Kryptonite energy from his system, restoring it and curing Superman.

I think.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 2, 2012

• Locked thread