Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont know why you're even using the path tracers in it, they're so much slower than any other method. Vray is a biased renderer and it's strength lies solely in its hacks and cheats, if you bought it to use it like maxwell then I think you got the wrong package.
I'm not using them. They're however there, and the existence of VRayBPTracer kind of suggests some legitimacy in usage of these. So drawing parallels to "proper" unbiased renderers is not unwarranted, given developer comments to that topic and their current product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

Trintintin: Do you think it is worth my time to try to make it through this? Or did you have something much simpler in mind? I thought I would try and get an understanding of DOPS by breaking some of the modeling I am doing in zbrush. Anxious to try the new features in Houdini 12 too.

sigma pm me your email and I'll send you two hip files tomorrow, one which goes over the most basic of fracturing objects, and one which shows a bit more of what you can do with 12 and some simple DOPs tricks. I would say that the cmi tutorial is definitely something worth watching but don't take their word as final, there are about 100 ways to solve any problem in Houdini, you need to figure out how you would do it on your own after you get the basics down. My advice would be to pick a specific building that you can find a decent number of reference photos for, and try to recreate that in a fully procedural manner(I did a western saloon for example).

Almost all the fracturing stuff is the same in 12 as it was in 11, they just implemented a few new shelf tools and the bullet solver, but any information you find on rigid body stuff in Houdini should definitely still be relevant. Also ive been working exclusively with bullet since I started my internship in January, so I'll probably be able to answer any question you have on rigid body stuff.

That being said getting an good understanding of DOPs is not a short process, or an easy one. So pick an area you're interested in (rigid bodies, fluids, cloth, pyro/smoke) and just start playing around.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Sigma-X posted:

I'm on polycount (obviously) as Ghostscape so if you want to PM me there when you open a thread I'll have no problem giving you some feedback. It would be more useful I think to have it over there because it will attract other folks to giving you feedback :D

Great, I made the thread I'll send it to you. I'm Leodido on there by the way.
At the moment I only made a mug tho so I guess not much to comment, I should find some other stuff to make.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Any further advice on creating an airtight contract for freelance stuff? I would like to freelance more but it is hard not to get burned or just underpaid. Also, the idea of hiring a lawyer is daunting if you can barely pay rent.

You're probably not going to get a completely airtight contract without a good lawyer. If you have 40 minutes of time, watch this: https://vimeo.com/22053820 It's a fantastic and entertaining talk about the ins and outs of artist-client relationships.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Thanks for all the advice guys. Lots to think over. Luckily my brother is a lawyer, so contracts will be easier to fabricate.

Cubicle: in regards to this:

cubicle gangster posted:

Build up a small library of assets before you start - curtains, blinds, low poly furn for distance etc.

Any advice on where to start stocking up? I'm not planning to launch my business until at least the end of the year so that I can work through tutorials and build up a backlog of samples to show, so I'd love to get started.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

pistolshit posted:

Any advice on where to start stocking up? I'm not planning to launch my business until at least the end of the year so that I can work through tutorials and build up a backlog of samples to show, so I'd love to get started.

Load project for free stuff (get everything). Evermotion maybe, but some of it's not great. design connected is really good for detail/interior stuff, but costly. If you're doing some samples and a 50/50 of interior/exterior stuff, every interior setup you model make a basic version of and save out.

Decide on the type of work you'll be aiming towards and build your library around it - if it's residential interiors, make a series of groups of chairs/tables/lamp setups that can be merged straight into an interior. etc if you think you'll be hitting offices. Make proxies of them all too, get the materials nailed, and do quick little test renders in a studio scene. This will mean mid job, panic stations you can roll into a folder and get a scene populated with really good furniture within half an hour.

Good libraries and organization make such a massive difference to the amount of money you keep for the time you spend working.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 31, 2012

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Sometimes when I got 20-30 min left on my lunch at work I try to do some quick doodles in Zbrush. I usually begin with a sphere or very lowpoly bust and almost always start sculpting with absolutely no idea in my head. :)

Some random things:

(is it ok to link the pics from my blog? or should I link them from my own hosting?)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
drat dude you've got some nice sculpts. Where do you work?

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Those are quite excellent. I especially like the last one.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

Hey guys, I'm not much of a 3-d artist, but I still follow this thread, and figured I'd ask you guys if you wanted to do some simple collaborations!

I guess I could introduce myself first; my name is Tyler Rhodes, and I'm an animator who decided one day to make an animation about evolution. What's special about the animation is it involves many people who 'evolved' their drawings over time, which I then animated. I wanted to stray from the typical depiction of evolution as a linear process and instead represent it as a branching structure. You can see the animation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8X-j0dbZWs
and more general info on my process etc. here http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com/

Recently it was posted about on Scientific Americans website and made their video of the week, and has since bounced its way all over the internet garnering comments from Richard Dawkins all the way to Ken Ham, so I figured the time was right to finally ask you guys if you were interested.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/psi-vid/2012/02/29/an-evolution-animation-unlike-any-youve-seen-before/
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/645147-an-evolution-animation-unlike-any-you-ve-seen-before
http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/technology-1/video-of-the-day-evolution.html
http://io9.com/5889824/the-most-adorable-video-about-evolution-ever-courtesy-of-elementary-schoolers

Because the animation and drawings themselves are very 2-D, I was just curious if you all would be willing to have a little fun and do some 3-d re-imaginings of the various creatures in whatever style you'd like. I have a sort of 'family tree' of the original drawings here, but if you want/need a bigger version of a creature, just tell me and I can get them for you.
http://evolutionanimation.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tree-5-spoke-color-corrected-small.jpg

I'd love to hear your ideas, and thanks!

Sparr fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 23, 2012

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

PAnick posted:

Sometimes when I got 20-30 min left on my lunch at work I try to do some quick doodles in Zbrush. I usually begin with a sphere or very lowpoly bust and almost always start sculpting with absolutely no idea in my head. :)

Some random things:

(is it ok to link the pics from my blog? or should I link them from my own hosting?)

Holy poo poo, that robot is amazing. I'm a hard surface modeler and I would love to pick your brain about what your workflow is like on that guy.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Thanks. I have been working as a 3D artist for eight or nine years now. A couple of years at Massive Entertainment, then for Ubisoft...kinda. Now I work at MachineGames.

Normally I would never do hardsurface modeling in zbrush, but it works when you do that type of robot/exo armor like in crysis or when functionality doesn't matter as much. Also you cant be as sloppy as with organic sculpting :)

Which is why I usually just do monsters:

Highpoly

Lowpoly

But when I do something like a mech or robot with clean and simple shapes I build it in Luxology Modo:

(textured lowpoly)

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have a program that requires ctrl to be held when scrolling (for example with a mouse wheel) in order to scroll through frames in an image; I was hoping that I could bind this to the touch strip on my Cintiq so that I could just use the touch strip to scroll, but I'm not sure how to designate scroll as part of a key combination in the wacom tablet preferences utility. Currently I'm pressing one of the Expresskeys for ctrl and using the touch strip, but since I do a lot of scrolling it's killing my thumb.

Any of you guys know how to do this?

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
This is my first post in this thread, kind of embarrassed to be posting my stuff on the same page as PAnick, because holy poo poo dude.

I'm making a golem-ish creature in maya and I'm about to start uv-ing, but I want to know your opinions on what I've done so far with the low poly. Any suggestions on how to make him look more rocky before I import him into zbrush?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Bloomington posted:

I'm making a golem-ish creature in maya and I'm about to start uv-ing, but I want to know your opinions on what I've done so far with the low poly. Any suggestions on how to make him look more rocky before I import him into zbrush?

I'm no modeling rockstar, but I'd introduce a bit of irregularity and asymmetry to the model. A quick GIS for some nice rocks and boulders should get you moving in the right direction.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

snorch posted:

I'm no modeling rockstar, but I'd introduce a bit of irregularity and asymmetry to the model. A quick GIS for some nice rocks and boulders should get you moving in the right direction.
Thanks for the advice! I haven't actually mirrored the model yet so once I do that I'm definitely going to do a bunch of work messing with the smaller details and adding some asymmetry.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Bloomington posted:

My pipeline is usually something similar. Block out a quick easy mesh and then import it to zbrush. Sculpt, then make a new lowpoly on that(if its for gameart). Some things to think about is having an even distribution of quads and don't stretch them out too much, try to keep them square. You can also add more in places you know will be more detailed, like the face usually has a tighter cluster of polys then the back. But this all depends on what you want to do with the model. Only a highpoly in zbrush, or use it for normalmap baking to a lowpoly?

Like this monster/alien/demon...thing...guy:

I just blocked out a very basic mesh with quads. It can pretty rough since it's so easy to deform and move the polys in zbrush later.

Painted in zbrush

A little render in Modo.

PAnick fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 4, 2012

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

PAnick posted:

My pipeline is usually something similar. Block out a quick easy mesh and then import it to zbrush. Sculpt, then make a new lowpoly on that(if its for gameart). Some things to think about is having an even distribution of quads and don't stretch them out too much, try to keep them square. You can also add more in places you know will be more detailed, like the face usually has a tighter cluster of polys then the back.
I have a few tris on the model because some of the quads didn't look very good, is it better to have tri's or quads that don't fit very well?

EDIT: It's ideally going to be used as gameart.

VV Oh god yes I would kill to see your workflow VV

Bloomington fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 4, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
These are amazing PAnick! Do you really get them done in half an hour? Are you up for recording your working some time and uploading it? I'd love to see someone as talented as you work. I really need to sit down with ZBrush and learn it!

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Bloomington posted:

I have a few tris on the model because some of the quads didn't look very good, is it better to have tri's or quads that don't fit very well?

Depends on which version of zbrush you have. 1-2 couldn't handle tri 's very well. It got better in zbrush 3 and zbrush 4 doesn't have too many problems with it. So no, it doesn't have to be quads, you might just get some small weird distortions when trying to paint on a tri if you are unlucky.

My pipe when doing a game character is usually: rough lowpoly -> zbrush -> build new lowpoly on that highpoly with nicer topology.

Something like this:

This way I dont waste time on the first model when things like proportions might change(which they ALWAYS do) during the zbrush sculpting. :)

Lowpoly with only a normalmapp:

Another highpoly -> lowpoly example:

concerned mom: Hahaa eh no. Those first few torso busts are the quick ones. Making the whole body and texturing takes a little longer. I do have some old recordings lying around:
(ignore music)

Devil sculpting

Alien sculpting

You can see here how I start from a pretty basic little ball of maybe 20 polys.

PAnick fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 4, 2012

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
I'm using 3.5 at the moment, so that's a relief. It's generally better to build an entirely new model above the highpoly from scratch as opposed to exporting a lower poly version of the high poly from z-brush, yes? Oh god that must take forever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bloomington posted:

I'm using 3.5 at the moment, so that's a relief. It's generally better to build an entirely new model above the highpoly from scratch as opposed to exporting a lower poly version of the high poly from z-brush, yes? Oh god that must take forever.

Look up some videos on YouTube about "retopologizing". It's a little easier than you think to go from high-res sculpt to low-poly mesh.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

mutata posted:

Look up some videos on YouTube about "retopologizing". It's a little easier than you think to go from high-res sculpt to low-poly mesh.
Awesome, thanks!

VVV Oh wow that's much easier than I expected. I was thinking I would have to redo it by extruding planes. :gonk:

Bloomington fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 4, 2012

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Bloomington posted:

Mutata was faster but I was gonna say the exact same thing. We use 3dcoat and TopoGun. Makes it very fast.

3DCoat retopology example

Topogun 2 retopology example

I'm pretty sure both these programs have a 30 days trial so just download and try it out. Lots of tutorials on youtube on how to get started.

PAnick fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 4, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Seriously awesome work and thanks for the videos! I think it's time for me to finally learn zbrush..

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I got inspired by your stuff and decided to actually try to make something with ZBrush after over a year of putting it off. This is my first real sculpt I guess. Nothing too special, and definitely room for improvement, but I quite like it! It's based off a silent from Dr.Who but I stuffed a few things up. It was downrezzed and put into Cinema 4D for rendering. Total polygon count is only 20k. It was fun!

Edit: I started off with a dynamesh sphere and had to sculpt it into a rough bust. I don't have too good a grasp on anatomy currently so that was a little hard. PAnick, would you care to share that super low poly bust you use? I'd really like that :allears:

Edit2:

And in zbrush:

Jewel fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 5, 2012

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ronan beckerman done a bit on us and spoke to my boss... it's mostly just talking about how we do stuff with no specifics, as is standard for this sort of poo poo.

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/interview-with-dbox/

It's got pictures though. Of those I worked on the un studio & taipei ones.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Ronan beckerman done a bit on us and spoke to my boss... it's mostly just talking about how we do stuff with no specifics, as is standard for this sort of poo poo.

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/interview-with-dbox/

It's got pictures though. Of those I worked on the un studio & taipei ones.

Holy crap, you work at Dbox? The stuff you guys put out is crazy. I can never show that stuff to my boss, else he'll expect me to do the same, and I never ever get enough time to make anything meaningful. So it always seems I'm going over budget. :(

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Jewel posted:

PAnick, would you care to share that super low poly bust you use? I'd really like that :allears:

Of course! Lowpoly Torso bust
Import obj and sculpt away!

concerned mom Thanks. I got tons of recordings actually. As soon as I get some spare time I'll upload them as well.

Like this video of some really old game models (some all the way from 2007)
Youtube video

Ghost character from a competition:

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

I'm trying to make a sort of membrane in Zbrush (like webbing in a dragons wing, for example), but I'm not really sure how I would go about it. Can I just create a new flattish 'object' and intersect it with the model somehow? How would I do that?

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
So before I start sculpting, how does UVing work with your workflow? Should I be UVing the low poly model so there's something to bake the high res details onto? If so will it keep my UV's when I retopologize? It'd be nice if I didn't have to UV it twice. :ohdear:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Bloomington posted:

So before I start sculpting, how does UVing work with your workflow? Should I be UVing the low poly model so there's something to bake the high res details onto? If so will it keep my UV's when I retopologize? It'd be nice if I didn't have to UV it twice. :ohdear:

UV it after you retopo. You don't need a perfect low res mesh to start with. Some of the best character artists I know often start with spheres even for whole characters now that there's dynamesh.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

ceebee posted:

UV it after you retopo. You don't need a perfect low res mesh to start with. Some of the best character artists I know often start with spheres even for whole characters now that there's dynamesh.
Awesome, I was wondering if I would still be able to bake the high res onto the low res without an initial UV map to work with. Thanks for the good news!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

International Log posted:

So it always seems I'm going over budget. :(

Use it as an reason to get bigger budgets! We spend on average twice as long on stills here than I did at my last place, and a full 2/3 days in photoshop with no 3d changes to do makes the biggest difference.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm rendering some furniture in Rhino for a project, and I would really like to have a person rendered sitting in the chair for some of my final shots of it. However, I don't have the time or the skill to make a realistic looking person in Rhino so I'm trying to find a site that has free (or cheap) pre-made people models I can stick in my Rhino model. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good non-sketchy site to find these? The ones I've found so far either look like they're going to install spyware on my computer or only have hilariously proportioned scantily-clad women to download.

If I can't find a person model I'm going to photoshop a picture of a person into it, but I'd like to have a model I can move around and stuff.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Anyone know good places to get vray shader collections? I'm trying to teach myself vray, but I don't have any materials to work with.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://www.vray-materials.de/

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
New project I got on Tuesday. Needs some work, but my camera and post are set...i think? The tile color range could be a touch wider, and I'm trying to bite my tongue about the lack of saturation until I get some foliage in there. Source was a few photos of the patio area and lots of various aerial shots of the hotel. Oh and "dimensions" of the width of the patio as it tapers from foreground to middle. Yeah, that's totally enough information, Sales Guy.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would:
Brighten up the glass a shitload (post?)
throw a 2 sided material/slight refraction on the umberella - just to get some lighter bits/structure in the shadow.
get some glossy reflections on everything
Add a bit more texture to the material in the foreground, disp/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
Working on an Awesome Mech:

Right now I'm cleaning up some problem spots and adding details here and there.

E: For those who don't know, the mech is actually called the "Awesome"