Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Getting it sucks but it shouldn't be that expensive. When I got it in my scalp a few years ago two weeks of oral Lamasil was like $20 even though I have high deductible insurance and had to pay the full cost. And Ketoconazole is like a nickel and almost as effective.

Going on 14 years of various grappling sports now, I know far more than I'd like to about fungus.
Yeah the actual fungus is apparently gone now, now I just need to figure out if there's anything I can do about the bumps except just rubbing with cleaning alcohol every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guilty posted:

So either you agree but are just arguing to be pedantic, or you're punching unnaturally, or you're punching uncomfortably, or your technique is bad because you have weak punches.
Let's just go back to the main point. When you make a fist, does that automatically line everything up for a solid punch to land with the first 2 knuckles? For me, the answer is no. I have to make an adjustment. That's my definitely of not natural.

My main point is -- I would certainly make it a point to tell new people that optimal punching angle/fist shape is different from person to person, and that you'll have to experiment with it to some degree so that the way they punch is good for them. That's certainly not denying anatomy, like the smaller outside metacarpals or the void between wrist and ulna.

quote:

So try not punching with the lateral part of your hand?
What?

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Guilty posted:

The main argument for the pointer and middle finger is that your hand is literally making a gigantic stick as the bones on your pointer finger is simply a continuation of your Radius. I don't get where you're coming from saying that it's 'not natural'

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Handskelett.png

To make contact on a straight punch with your pointer and middle knuckles, you have to bend your wrist slightly to the outside. If you land with the last three knuckles, your wrist is perfectly straight.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

To make contact on a straight punch with your pointer and middle knuckles, you have to bend your wrist slightly to the outside. If you land with the last three knuckles, your wrist is perfectly straight.

While this is true, that you do have to slightly adjust your wrist, in order to land a fully extended straight jab on the lateral last three knuckles requires the wrist to be bent, while a fully extended straight jab will naturally lead down the index and middle fingers. All of this can be seriously tested out within 2 seconds of just tooling around at home.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think just remembering to keep my wrist straight is working ok for me. I have narrow hands anyway.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Guilty posted:

While this is true, that you do have to slightly adjust your wrist, in order to land a fully extended straight jab on the lateral last three knuckles requires the wrist to be bent, while a fully extended straight jab will naturally lead down the index and middle fingers. All of this can be seriously tested out within 2 seconds of just tooling around at home.

You just said that what I said is true and then stated the exact opposite. Your hand or wrist must be shaped weird if you have to bend it to land with the last three knuckles. If you set your wrist absolutely straight and jab a wall directly at the level of your face, it will land with the last three knuckles, whether you rotate the fist horizontally or not.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other. People have been arguing about this for as long as I can remember, and I honestly think it makes very little difference either way. It is certainly true, however, that you have to bend your wrist to the outside to land with the first two knuckles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm going to solve this by buying puffier and rounder gloves.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

People have been arguing about this for as long as I can remember, and I honestly think it makes very little difference either way.

This times a million, I hate this argument

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I would honestly rather an entire page of infectious bacteria discussion than one more post about knuckle alignment.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Don't give a shiiiit

how to do bagwork:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwD3_YdOy8&feature=youtu.be
Don't forget the ush ush ush sounds

mind games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDL_1L8F9s&feature=youtu.be

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Argh I keep accidentally getting knees in my lower quad on my right leg when trying to kick people somehow. It's all swollen and stiff and I can't walk properly :(

I think it's because I follow people who back away from punches then try to kick from too close and they're checking and I hit their knee and now it's sore

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 5, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So my digusting toenail-through-front-of-toe is nearly grown through. I just took some ultra-gross pictures. I'm going to post them next time somebody mentions Bruce Lee or starts a debate about Sport Judo vs Traditional Judo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So my digusting toenail-through-front-of-toe is nearly grown through. I just took some ultra-gross pictures. I'm going to post them next time somebody mentions Bruce Lee or starts a debate about Sport Judo vs Traditional Judo.

Oh no. OH NO. :barf:

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Can we add self-defence to that list?

Having tried out boxing on the weekend I have to say it's possibly the most mobile martial art. Whoever it was who said you can't get low enough was absolutely correct.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So...have you guys heard of Kung Fu San Soo? I went to this dojo today, and the owner said it's a martial art that was adopted by the U.S. military up until 1992. Which sorta sounds impressive, but he mentioned that he doesn't do sparring because it would be too dangerous. No sparring when learning a martial art is a bad thing, no?

I wouldn't normally bother with such a thing, but the price is pretty cheap (which also may be a red flag), but thought I'd get some opinions first.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wow you still haven't decided on a martial art yet?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

So...have you guys heard of Kung Fu San Soo? I went to this dojo today, and the owner said it's a martial art that was adopted by the U.S. military up until 1992. Which sorta sounds impressive, but he mentioned that he doesn't do sparring because it would be too dangerous. No sparring when learning a martial art is a bad thing, no?

I wouldn't normally bother with such a thing, but the price is pretty cheap (which also may be a red flag), but thought I'd get some opinions first.

I dont know what that is unless you meant San Shou, but it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you expect to actually be good at fighting then yes you need to spar a lot

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Nierbo posted:

Hey man, it's only been 4 months. You gotta really shop around to find the martial art that's right for you.

ps. Sparring is pretty much necessary for any martial art, unless it is traditional culture focussed (Naginata, Iaido spring to mind here)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nierbo posted:

:(

Almost every place I've been to has some major downside (price, lovely instructor, the martial art itself not being particularly useful to begin with, etc.). I went to a Wing Chun place the other day, which is one of the top 3 martial arts I'd want to take, and that one had a tremendously douchey instructor.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I dont know what that is unless you meant San Shou, but it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you expect to actually be good at fighting then yes you need to spar a lot

I thought they were the same thing too, but apparently San Soo is something different.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You wan try 5 finger death touch on other student? You crazy. You leave.

e: VVVVVV rear end in a top hat!

mewse fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2012

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I'm just going to be a huge douchebag and do this because I'm morbidly curious about that toe:

Would Bruce Lee do sport judo or traditional judo and could Fedor beat him in a fight?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, that wasn't a joking troll post in response to people making comments about all the bad arguments that sometimes derail this thread?

Because it was so perfect in that regard that I assumed that was an ironic question.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Smegmatron posted:

I'm just going to be a huge douchebag and do this because I'm morbidly curious about that toe:

Would Bruce Lee do sport judo or traditional judo and could Fedor beat him in a fight?

On the street for self-defense purposes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Almost every place I've been to has some major downside (price, lovely instructor, the martial art itself not being particularly useful to begin with, etc.). I went to a Wing Chun place the other day, which is one of the top 3 martial arts I'd want to take, and that one had a tremendously douchey instructor.

I thought they were the same thing too, but apparently San Soo is something different.

You might try this place, I've heard only great things about it. http://theyardmuaythai.com/ I have a good friend who competes in amateur MMA at a high level who trains there. $120/mo is a little more expensive than some of the places you have been looking at, probably, but the instructors look impressive and the workout times are flexible. I'm sure the Muay Thai goons here can weigh in on it.

eta: the head instructor/coach is Joe Schilling, who's a professional MT fighter and seems to be a big name in the community.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 5, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

"Official" San Soo schools, if you want to call them that, are terrible bullshido garbage. All their lineage are faked up appeals to authority.

There might be splinter organizations that actually train people well. But I'd avoid just to be safe.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
That, plus the no sparring bit means that it's probably better to just stay away. Especially when it's no sparring because it's too "dangerous". That's ninjitsu levels of dumb right there.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I never wore a cup for the longest time in grappling and I started wearing one like 6 months ago, and yesterday I forgot to bring it and i felt like a nude piece of poo poo. Once you get used to that thing it is like a suit of armor, you feel superhuman wearing that sucker

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is a ton of bruising when starting out in MMA/BJJ pretty normal? I started last Thursday and my arms are bruised to hell. Having a great time though and looking forward to tonight.

Need to pick up a cup and mouth guard though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is a ton of bruising when starting out in MMA/BJJ pretty normal?
Yeah, welcome to the club.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I never wore a cup for the longest time in grappling and I started wearing one like 6 months ago, and yesterday I forgot to bring it and i felt like a nude piece of poo poo. Once you get used to that thing it is like a suit of armor, you feel superhuman wearing that sucker

This feeling is why I don't wear cups anymore- expect when we do striking. gently caress getting kicked in the nuts without that precious, precious armor.
I don't want to feel out of my element in a situation where a cup isn't allowed, which is pretty much all competitions around here, and real world situations, for what that's worth.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is a ton of bruising when starting out in MMA/BJJ pretty normal? I started last Thursday and my arms are bruised to hell.

Haha, yes. Enjoy! It gets better over time. Unless you bruise easy, then it just doesn't. Also, get a mouthguard ASAP. So important.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't want to feel out of my element in a situation where a cup isn't allowed, which is pretty much all competitions around here...

I'm actually doing my first competition at the end of this month (COPA in Lakeland, FL) and making sure to wear a cup every day because they are mandatory in the tournament. I figured that was the norm, but reading your post I'm thinking maybe its weird to have them be required?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is a ton of bruising when starting out in MMA/BJJ pretty normal? I started last Thursday and my arms are bruised to hell. Having a great time though and looking forward to tonight.

Yup! I get these awesome hard-to-explain-when-I-have-my-shirt-rolled-up fingertip bruises all over my arms if I've been away for a while and come back. Glad to hear you are having a great time, as mentioned above there is some debate about wearing a cup while grappling, but definitely get a mouthguard: one of the guys at the club is missing one of his front teeth due to rolling.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Can anyone recommend any good grappling blogs or news sites?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Chemtrail Clem posted:

The first time I bought a cup it blew my mind. I just put it on and home and walked around with it for like an hour occasionally hitting myself in the sack. I was like a little kid who didn't want to take off his halloween costume.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Antinumeric posted:

Yup! I get these awesome hard-to-explain-when-I-have-my-shirt-rolled-up fingertip bruises all over my arms if I've been away for a while and come back. Glad to hear you are having a great time, as mentioned above there is some debate about wearing a cup while grappling, but definitely get a mouthguard: one of the guys at the club is missing one of his front teeth due to rolling.

I wear short sleeve shirts at work, got a lot of looks and questions this week. Friday a 200lb guy landed on my elbow, looked like I had a golf ball stuck under the skin.

Picking up a mouthguard on the way home, will pry grab a cup and see how I like it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Kekekela posted:

I'm actually doing my first competition at the end of this month (COPA in Lakeland, FL) and making sure to wear a cup every day because they are mandatory in the tournament. I figured that was the norm, but reading your post I'm thinking maybe its weird to have them be required?

Most bjj competitions ban cups.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

attackmole posted:

The first time I bought a cup it blew my mind. I just put it on and home and walked around with it for like an hour occasionally hitting myself in the sack. I was like a little kid who didn't want to take off his halloween costume.
Hahaha I do the punching myself in the cup thing constantly

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I can get a pretty good sound if I play my cup like the bongos.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Kekekela posted:

It's different from competition to competition, but if the event follows the latest IBJJF rules for gi and nogi then there's no cups allowed. Previously I've experienced that nogi allowed you to wear a cup, while gi didn't. I've never seen it being mandatory, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Does (or has) anyone here trained with the YMAA? I did a white crane seminar at their Boston location and was very impressed. Very nice, good people. A friend of mine just had the opportunity to go and train with Dr. Yang at the retreat center in CA for a full month, and had an amazing experience. Apparently they're gonna have a segment on ESPN's E60 about the retreat center which should be coming on in September. I'm really jealous, wish I had the time and the living situation to devote to something like that.

• Locked thread