Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We have some pork chops that we got a week ago and say "Best by March 30". They've been wrapped up in the paper and plastic they came in from the store in the fridge since we got them. We just put them in the crock pot to cook all day long (8 hours, give or take a few minutes), today being April 4. They smelled fine; they looked fine; they felt fine. Are we stupid or is everything going to be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Golbez posted:

They smelled fine; they looked fine; they felt fine.

They were probably fine.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Golbez posted:

Are we stupid or is everything going to be okay?
If you open meat that's actually bad, you WILL know it.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I tried to make some yogurt today, hosed it up, and got curds and whey instead. It is now becoming paneer cheese since that's what the internet says to do with curds and whey. But I've never really used paneer before, what's something I can do with it that's pretty easy?

edit - Also, this only uses the curds. What should I do with the whey? (I found a recipe that converts leftover whey from making mozzarella into ricotta cheese, but the preceding mozzarella recipe called for rennet, which isn't used in paneer, so I don't think that will work...)

khazar sansculotte fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 4, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ronald McReagan posted:

I tried to make some yogurt today, hosed it up, and got curds and whey instead. It is now becoming paneer cheese since that's what the internet says to do with curds and whey. But I've never really used paneer before, what's something I can do with it that's pretty easy?

Curry

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Pan-fry 1cm-thick slices in baby spinach, minced garlic, a little sea salt, and olive oil.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Does anybody have any recommended books/ebook/websites that focus on identifying/eating edible wild plants/mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest? I've seen a couple online, but the reviews seem to indicate that most are focused on the East Coast, or don't give enough info to distinguish a plant from its lookalikes, etc.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I have a bunch of potatoes and vegetable stock to get rid of so I am going to make a soup. This is pretty straight forward but I'd like to make it interesting with some other ingredients/spices. Any suggestions on how to make it a bit less conventional?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Nifty posted:

I have a bunch of potatoes and vegetable stock to get rid of so I am going to make a soup. This is pretty straight forward but I'd like to make it interesting with some other ingredients/spices. Any suggestions on how to make it a bit less conventional?

I dunno about "less conventional", but potato leek soup is amazing so you should do that.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Viking Blood posted:

Got these from a friend on his return from Japan. From what I understand they are spices to flavor rice (?) but other than that I am at a loss to figure out the traditional use and/or what kind of recipes to use them in.

They seem to be various spice mixtures with varying ratios of sesame/that asian pepper that creates a numbing sensation/other goodness.

Can anyone help unlock these culinary mysteries from glorious Nippon?
The first one is ichimi, and the next two are shichimi. The third one is upside down by the way. They actually say "black shichimi" but I don't know how that's different. The whole time I was in Japan people used ichimi and shichimi interchangeably whenever they wanted to spice something up. In the vinegar for gyoza, on udon or soba, wherever.

The last one is sansho, like someone else said (I'm on my phone and can't go back and see who, sorry).

Nobody can help me with my oven problem? I even emailed GE directly but they haven't responded.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
I'm oven-retarded, sorry. All I know is how to find out if the temperatures are calibrated accurately, not switching between fahrenheit and celsius. vov

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Golbez posted:

We have some pork chops... in the crock pot to cook all day long

:cripes: Can I ask why?

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Does anyone know the water content (in mass) of dry baker’s yeast and fresh baker’s yeast?

So far Google has given me kind of conflicting answers: for dry baker’s yeast, I’ve found 5%-15% water; for fresh baker’s yeast, I’ve found 60%-75%, depending on the source. Maybe it varies from brand to brand? If so, I guess assuming about 10% for dry baker’s yeast and about 70% for fresh baker’s yeast is reasonable?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What are you doing that it could possibly matter?

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
So I made my first tres leches cake ever this past Sunday. It was pretty good, but I made it with plain vanilla and I feel that I could definitely do with adding things to it next time.

If I want to add ingredients, do I add them at the dry stage where I'm mixing the cake flour and sugar and such? If you like to make tres leches cake, what sort of stuff do you like to add to it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Esoteric Scientist posted:

Does anyone know the water content (in mass) of dry baker’s yeast and fresh baker’s yeast?

So far Google has given me kind of conflicting answers: for dry baker’s yeast, I’ve found 5%-15% water; for fresh baker’s yeast, I’ve found 60%-75%, depending on the source. Maybe it varies from brand to brand? If so, I guess assuming about 10% for dry baker’s yeast and about 70% for fresh baker’s yeast is reasonable?

For the amount if yeast that you would use in a typical recipe, the humidity will make more of a difference than the water content of your yeast. And if you're using enough yeast as to throw off the hydration of your bread, you are probably using way too much yeast.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Turkeybone posted:

:cripes: Can I ask why?

Laziness and a suggestion from a mom. I never professed to be a gourmet. :(

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any pointers for making bread (or bread-like food) with a predominant taste and smell of yeast? I want to bring it out as a flavor, and just adding more yeast seems to have negative side effects.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grushenka posted:

So I made my first tres leches cake ever this past Sunday. It was pretty good, but I made it with plain vanilla and I feel that I could definitely do with adding things to it next time.

If I want to add ingredients, do I add them at the dry stage where I'm mixing the cake flour and sugar and such? If you like to make tres leches cake, what sort of stuff do you like to add to it?

It depends on the ingredients you are adding.

If you are talking liquid flavorings for example (almond extract, brandy, orange juice, whatever), add them with the wet ingredients.

If you are going to add something like nuts, you are probably best off adding them at the end or as a topping (if you want them crunchy), or grinding them into a powder and adding them with your dry ingredients (if you want them for flavor)

baquerd posted:

Anyone have any pointers for making bread (or bread-like food) with a predominant taste and smell of yeast? I want to bring it out as a flavor, and just adding more yeast seems to have negative side effects.

Let the dough sit for a longer time before baking. Still punch and knead like regular, but let it rest for a longer period of time.

Depending on the type of bread you are making you could add a little beer for additional yeast notes.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I would also suggest finding fresh yeast. You'll use a larger quantity of it for the amount of leavening you want to do so you get more of that yeast flavor without too much yeast action. You can also ferment the dough in the cold to slow down the action of the yeast to compensate for adding more.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't know if people missed my question at the end of the last page, or if no-one has an answer, but I thought I'd just try asking again, seeing as Easter is almost here!

Scientastic posted:

I tried to make Hot Cross Buns from this recipe the other day and they were OK-ish, but nothing special. A bit heavy and the crosses were crunchy, not soft.

Does anyone have a good, works-every-time recipe for Hot Cross Buns?

Was it an error to make them slightly smug "non-denominational Spring festival buns" with letters on them? Do they only work if you have God on your side?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've never had a good hot cross bun. They've always been kinda dense and bland.

Then again, the midwest is kinda dense and bland, so maybe that's why they came out that way.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never had a good hot cross bun. They've always been kinda dense and bland.

Then again, the midwest is kinda dense and bland, so maybe that's why they came out that way.

I feel sorry for you. Hot cross buns are amazing! I don't know what they're like in America, but a good one over here is sticky and spiced and delicious.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I don't know if people missed my question at the end of the last page, or if no-one has an answer, but I thought I'd just try asking again, seeing as Easter is almost here!

America's Test Kitchen has got your back: http://luluthebaker.blogspot.com/2010/04/hot-cross-buns.html

Also, yes, only The Lord can properly grant fluffy tastiness to your hot Cross buns. Trying to shoehorn in some other pagan nonsense will just make them flat and uninspired. Worse, eating them automatically causes 2d6 points of damage to your Faith stat and requires a level 8 or higher cleric to cast Restore Moderate Faith or the higher level Rebirth spell.

Do you really want to have to find a level 8 cleric in this day and age? I think not. :colbert:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Golbez posted:

Laziness and a suggestion from a mom. I never professed to be a gourmet. :(

Well, that's ok that why we come here :chef:.

If you want to get the benefits of slow cooking -- next time get a pork shoulder or piece of pork shoulder, chuck, blade, or even "country style ribs." They benefit from low and slow while a straight-up pork chop, not so much.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Can someone recommend me a good entry-level knife for general use? I love cooking from scratch but dealing with these dull-as-hell Wal-Mart knives is driving me crazy. When I see people making knifework look so effortless I get very envious. So what is a knife that can tide me over for most uses until I have the money to branch out and build up a collection of cutlery?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

Can someone recommend me a good entry-level knife for general use? I love cooking from scratch but dealing with these dull-as-hell Wal-Mart knives is driving me crazy. When I see people making knifework look so effortless I get very envious. So what is a knife that can tide me over for most uses until I have the money to branch out and build up a collection of cutlery?

Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef knife.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Turkeybone posted:

Well, that's ok that why we come here :chef:.

If you want to get the benefits of slow cooking -- next time get a pork shoulder or piece of pork shoulder, chuck, blade, or even "country style ribs." They benefit from low and slow while a straight-up pork chop, not so much.

For the theory-minded among us, this is because the cuts Turkeybone is mentioning contain a good amount of collagen, which is transformed – as if by magic – into gelatin during lengthy cooking. Gelatin of course has excellent texture and makes your meats lip-smacking good. Pork chops, on the other hand, are pretty lean and contain little collagen, so during long cooking they just get tough and rubbery, rather than tender and wonderful.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Thanks, that right there is what I always want to know about everything.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone have a preferred way of making Bearnaise? Is Ruhlman's Quick Bearnaise just as good as the traditional method?

The quick method is below:
Easy Bearnaise Sauce

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced shallot
aggressive pinch of salt
pepper (optional)
2 egg yolks
6 ounces salted butter
2 tablespoons minced tarragon (or more to taste)
Combine the lemon juice, shallot, salt, and pepper in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup or other container with a narrow base. Let it sit for a few minutes.
Add the egg yolks and give it a buzz with the hand blender (if you’re blade doesn’t reach the yolk, use the whisk attachment).
Melt the butter in a one-cup measuring cup with a spout or some other container that will allow you to pour the butter in a stream. Make sure it’s piping hot.
With the hand blender running, pour the butter into the egg yolks, pumping the blender up and down (or side to side if using whisk) as you do so. Add half the tarragon and continue to blend. Stop and fold in the remaining tarragon.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
There was a really comprehensive Indian cooking thread about 2 years ago, it's probably in the archives now. Can someone please post it if you've got a link to it? Thanks!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3101044

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That is quite an amazing op. It's like the scientist wearing a lab coat telling me table-side about how they masturbated the cow daily to keep it happy and burned scented candles and played saxophone music for it every day before they butchered it for my dinner last time I went to a steakhouse

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Does anyone have a preferred way of making Bearnaise? Is Ruhlman's Quick Bearnaise just as good as the traditional method?

The quick method is below:
Easy Bearnaise Sauce

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced shallot
aggressive pinch of salt
pepper (optional)
2 egg yolks
6 ounces salted butter
2 tablespoons minced tarragon (or more to taste)
Combine the lemon juice, shallot, salt, and pepper in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup or other container with a narrow base. Let it sit for a few minutes.
Add the egg yolks and give it a buzz with the hand blender (if you’re blade doesn’t reach the yolk, use the whisk attachment).
Melt the butter in a one-cup measuring cup with a spout or some other container that will allow you to pour the butter in a stream. Make sure it’s piping hot.
With the hand blender running, pour the butter into the egg yolks, pumping the blender up and down (or side to side if using whisk) as you do so. Add half the tarragon and continue to blend. Stop and fold in the remaining tarragon.

I made bearnaise every day at work for 2 years.. that's a reasonable enough approximation (we used a blender, too).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Okay, I actually have a question!

I have (sigh) some boneless skinless breasts, some eggplant, and also some kohlrabi (which I've never cooked before, though I ate the leaves already). Thoughts on how to cook kohlrabi/put these ingredients together in some way?

Basically Id like to use all these things, but its not necessary, also assume I have/can get most other ingredients.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Turkeybone posted:

I have (sigh) some boneless skinless breasts, some eggplant, and also some kohlrabi (which I've never cooked before, though I ate the leaves already). Thoughts on how to cook kohlrabi/put these ingredients together in some way?

Basically Id like to use all these things, but its not necessary, also assume I have/can get most other ingredients.
Make kimchi with the kohlrabi, add it to a stir fry with the chicken and eggplant.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

Dice up the chicken and eggplant, saute with some tomatoes and onion. Roast the kohlrabi, stick it in a food processor with some butter and puree it. Put the sauteed chicken and eggplant mixture in a casserole, top with the kohlrabi puree, and bake it.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Super spicy grilled chicken, grilled eggplant, kohrabi slaw, yogurt and herbs somewhere in there.

It's almost summer, just go for it.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2012

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
I realized today that I have oven temperature/timing issues for Easter: we need to cook multiple things at the same time at different temps, but we only have one oven and more than one thing we want to cook in it.

Then I realized that I have a Sous Vide Supreme and after a quick check, our ham should fit. Mostly. So two questions:

1) The very tip of the narrow end of the ham won't be submerged (though the lid will still fit on). It's not like I'm doing a 48-hour cook or anything, just a few hours to get this pre-cooked, salty thing to temperature. Alternately, can I remove the wire rack from the Sous Vide Supreme, which should allow the whole thing to be submerged?

2) Glaze. Obviously filling the bag with glaze would not work. If I'm going to be roasting veggies in high heat in the oven (400-450), can I just toss the ham in after it's heated through to set the glaze? If so how long should it take at those temperatures? Or should I be borrowing my father-in-law's blowtorch to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I snagged a whole bunch of morels yesterday and already fried a bunch of them in butter but I was wondering what other cool things can I do with them?