Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

magimix posted:

The only question now is which of my 5 ME2 Soldiers do I import... (More to the point, I need to make sure that whichever one I pick has done all the requisite stuff too)

You do realize that you can change class in ME3? You don't need to import an ME2 soldier to play an ME3 soldier.

I might be mistaken, but I think if you don't switch class the game tries to assign ME3 skill points based on your ME2 skill, but if you do change class the game just gives you a fuckload of points and lets you sort it out yourself. I remember being slightly pissed off that my infiltrator had all sorts of weird stuff pre-bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy poo poo Priority: Rannoch is awesome.

Shepard: "No. This ends now." :black101:

dwazegek posted:

You do realize that you can change class in ME3? You don't need to import an ME2 soldier to play an ME3 soldier.

I might be mistaken, but I think if you don't switch class the game tries to assign ME3 skill points based on your ME2 skill, but if you do change class the game just gives you a fuckload of points and lets you sort it out yourself. I remember being slightly pissed off that my infiltrator had all sorts of weird stuff pre-bought.

This is true. With an import you get to (re)select your class and end up with 1 point spent and 59 free ones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo Priority: Rannoch is awesome.

Shepard: "No. This ends now." :black101:

MaleShep's delivery of the renegade Save Everyone speech is fantastic, it's just dripping with absolute contempt. Maybe the best VOed moment of the whole game.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dwazegek posted:

Can you pick the class you already have and get a respec, or is that not an option?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elysiume posted:

Can you pick the class you already have and get a respec, or is that not an option?

uh, you are always allowed to respec in the medbay, it's free the first time, even.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

uh, you are always allowed to respec in the medbay, it's free the first time, even.
I'm still in ME2, so I don't really know any of this. Thanks.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Not at the very beginning, but after a bit you can respec in the Normandy (and the first respec doesn't cost you anything).

Talking about respecs, is anyone able to respec Javik? He doesn't show up in my list of squad mates in the med bay.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

MaleShep's delivery of the renegade Save Everyone speech is fantastic, it's just dripping with absolute contempt. Maybe the best VOed moment of the whole game.

What about "STEEEEEVE!!!!!!!"?

Probably the most emotion my manshep ever showed ever. Which is pretty hilarious considering he goes back to talking normally right after.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

I've course I'm aware of that! But I'd have expected you to appreciate that I am so freaking hardcore, yo that I hold to 'class continuity' for imports. Every ME3 run I do will be with an ME2 import of the same class, that itself was an ME1 import of the same class :shepface:

And if I don't have quite the Shepard I want? Then I'll do an ME1/ME2 back-to-back to *get* the Shepard I want. Indeed, I already have two ME1/ME2 back-to-backs planned, to mix up some stuff in light of what I've seen in ME3.

Keeping it real :stare:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I'm still in ME2, so I don't really know any of this. Thanks.

If you import an ME2 save, you start with the 60 points you get at level 30, 1 point allocated to a power and the rest free. If you respec later you can even move that 1 point around. Respecs in the medbay seem to go up by 5k each time (ie first is free, second is 5k, third is 10k, etc). Switching your bonus power is 5k.

I've made probably a million credits so far in the game.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

:shepface:

I kinda knew that was going to be your response. :v:

I do have some admiration for the depths of your insanity though. :cheers:

PureRok posted:

Probably the most emotion my manshep ever showed ever. Which is pretty hilarious considering he goes back to talking normally right after.

I got that too. Shep going from :negative: to :geno: in about half a second was pretty bizzare.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

I kinda knew that was going to be your response. :v:

I do have some admiration for the depths of your insanity though. :cheers:

And its strong moral support like this that validates me. Wind beneath my wings, as it were :3:

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

WarLocke posted:

If you import an ME2 save, you start with the 60 points you get at level 30, 1 point allocated to a power and the rest free.

You actually get 61 total points if you import at level 30: 2 of them are automatically spent, and 59 are available. The first level in a newly created character would give 3 points, 2 already spent. If you have a bonus power, another point is locked in it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Would giving my teammates the Squad Bonus power on their ammo stack it with whatever ammo power I use myself?

Like give Garrus AP, Liara Warp and have it all stack with Inendiary or Disruptor?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Would giving my teammates the Squad Bonus power on their ammo stack it with whatever ammo power I use myself?

Like give Garrus AP, Liara Warp and have it all stack with Inendiary or Disruptor?

No, whatever power was activated most recently is what they'll use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I figured as much. That'd be hilariously broken.

Now to respec Garrus and Liara and continue the ol' ME1 crew reunion tour.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I loving love the Cain. I love it so much. (Final-mission stuff) Banshee, meet Cain. *BLAOW* Okay, lets get on this shuttle. During my first playthrough, during the initial assault after you take down the Reaper with a Cain, the second Cain actually despawned on me, and set me up for a gruelling fight with conventional arms. Made drat sure that didn't happen again!

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

But it's only a single banshee, isn't it? And a bunch of cannibals, but they hardly count.

I did manage to nuke my entire squad though, so I guess that counts for something :shepface:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Hahahaha I just got to the part in my femshep run where Vega gets an N7 tattoo on the docks. He tells Shep to get a tattoo of his name somewhere special, and she straight up asks if he was ever going to make good on all this flirting. He replies "Well. I.. uh... You know.... uh."

Oh Vega. :allears:

Edit: Aww, autonarrative Shep also doesn't let Garrus get his victory. Hardcore.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 5, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

But it's only a single banshee, isn't it? And a bunch of cannibals, but they hardly count.

I did manage to nuke my entire squad though, so I guess that counts for something :shepface:

It is just the one. To be sure, doing that one with conventional arms isn't some bullshit attritional thing. The area itself is surprisingly large (useful for keeping distance between you and the Banshee, and you and the minions), but not knowing the structure of that fight, it took me 4 attempts overall to be victorious. And since the reason that fight happened at all was because of a glitch, there *may* have been some petulant gamer-raging involved too :ninja:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

PureRok posted:

What about "STEEEEEVE!!!!!!!"?

He sounds almost disappointed when he asks Steve if he's sure, which is rather amusing I think.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

dwazegek posted:

Any reason you're going with inferno grenade and not just with frag grenade?

I tried inferno grenade on my vanguard, I figured a cooldownless power would mesh well, but it seemed completely and utterly disappointing in the damage it did.

I don't think Inferno Grenade is a good fit for a Vanguard, I don't think they really lack for AOE killing power. Inferno Grenade works best as a set and forget, chuck it at one group and then turn your attention to another. I takes a while to do all of its damage, but with the right build it can tear through armor and give you quite a bit of room clearing capability.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Snicker-Snack posted:

You actually get 61 total points if you import at level 30: 2 of them are automatically spent, and 59 are available. The first level in a newly created character would give 3 points, 2 already spent. If you have a bonus power, another point is locked in it.

Huh, shows me for never actually starting a non-import game. I could have sworn my Soldier started with a single rank in Inferno Ammo (thus 1 point) and 59 to spare, though.

messagemode1 posted:

Hahahaha I just got to the part in my femshep run where Vega gets an N7 tattoo on the docks. He tells Shep to get a tattoo of his name somewhere special, and she straight up asks if he was ever going to make good on all this flirting. He replies "Well. I.. uh... You know.... uh."

Oh Vega. :allears:

My Shep teases Vega and Joker horribly. :3:

quote:

Edit: Aww, autonarrative Shep also doesn't let Garrus get his victory. Hardcore.

I wish someone would determine whether there's some sort of theme or direction to autonarrative, or whether it just has a specific decision for each point instead of a general 'be paragon' or whatever vibe.

edit: And once again I got hosed over by heavy weapons placement. Reloaded the triple Prime fight on Rannoch about 4 times, finally finished after spending 5 minutes running and gunning, and THEN I find half a dozen geth big gun things lying around. :argh:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 5, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

edit: And once again I got hosed over by heavy weapons placement. Reloaded the triple Prime fight on Rannoch about 4 times, finally finished after spending 5 minutes running and gunning, and THEN I find half a dozen geth big gun things lying around. :argh:

Both times through that fight in particular have felt to me to be the scrappiest fights I've had in the game so far. In each case, I never felt like I won with *finesse*.

Also, hooray, I got the 'write a book' thing with Javik :dance:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

He sounds almost disappointed when he asks Steve if he's sure, which is rather amusing I think.
He was waiting for his emotional outburst on his pilot dying but then Steve had to go and survive, ruining it and making him look silly for shouting out like that.:colbert:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jblade posted:

He was waiting for his emotional outburst on his pilot dying but then Steve had to go and survive, ruining it and making him look silly for shouting out like that.:colbert:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I can't get to that point and not think it's some sort of reference/homage to the legendary "Miiiiiiike!" from Resident Evil 4.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I can't get to that point and not think it's some sort of reference/homage to the legendary "Miiiiiiike!" from Resident Evil 4.
hahah, the exact same thing ran through my head as well. It seemed a bit out there but glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if anybody saw this. But it seems like the ending DLC will be free.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222401p1.html

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Somebody asked this question on the Bioware forums...
"What if the extended cut is even worse?"

It's entirely possible that they somehow make it worse. That's a terrible thought.

diablos666
Oct 25, 2007
Only slightly deranged...
What would be a good bonus power for a Sentinel character? Would Energy Drain make a good alternative to Overload?

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

I doubt it'll actually be worse. What I'm worried about is that it's just going to focus on answering a bunch of questions that aren't that relevant to begin with (e.g. Why is Joker piloting the Normandy through a relay? How did your squad get on the Normandy? etc.). Almost nothing about the endings makes sense, and there's no way they can fix that by "clarifying" anything.

So the DLC won't make anything worse, it might even be slightly better, but I doubt it'll be good.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

diablos666 posted:

What would be a good bonus power for a Sentinel character? Would Energy Drain make a good alternative to Overload?

Overload is one of the best powers in the game, so using Energy Drain in it's place is kind of a waste, IMO.

What bonus power you want depends on how you want to play, really.

Defense Matrix is good for tanks. Stasis and Reave are good for more caster-ish types, with Reave giving you some extra damage resistance, and Stasis just being ridiculously good CC. Warp Ammo is also a good choice, because you don't really *need* another active power (Overload, Warp and Throw are a pretty versatile combination).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

diablos666 posted:

Any defensive power could be good, stack it on top of Tech Armor and you'll be able to shrug off massive damage. You will take a hefty hit to your cooldowns but you can build around that.

Warp ammo would also be a good choice, doesn't mess with your cooldowns and it deals extra damage to biotically affected enemies.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

dwazegek posted:

Warp ammo would also be a good choice, doesn't mess with your cooldowns and it deals extra damage to biotically affected enemies.

I think the extra damage to lifted targets may be bugged. I, at least, didn't notice any difference.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can also go with armor-piercing amo. I like the extra damage.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's weird, I got Javik but he's greyed out for the Palaven mission.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Samopsa posted:

You can also go with armor-piercing amo. I like the extra damage.

Warp Ammo is better than Armor-Piercing for damage, though. The + armor weakening isn't too good for mid to high damage wapons, and you wouldn't want to use rapid fire low damage weapons against armor anyway.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Found this on the wiki, which is actually pretty cool:
Combining Warp Ammo with the level 6 Amplification evolution of Concussive Shot allows concussive shot to detonate biotic explosions on enemies suspended by biotic powers such as singularity, pull or slam. Although the force and damage of the detonation seem less powerful than a detonation triggered by a biotic using Warp.

Alteisen posted:

He'll be made available after that mission. He's still recovering (or maybe they just didn't bother including dialogue for him on that mission so they disabled him).

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I believe it's been said that Palaven's story is scripted such that it expects you to use the same party that you used on Mars. Javik should unlock properly post-Palaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

I doubt it'll actually be worse. What I'm worried about is that it's just going to focus on answering a bunch of questions that aren't that relevant to begin with (e.g. Why is Joker piloting the Normandy through a relay? How did your squad get on the Normandy? etc.). Almost nothing about the endings makes sense, and there's no way they can fix that by "clarifying" anything.

So the DLC won't make anything worse, it might even be slightly better, but I doubt it'll be good.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I suspect the DLC will be tailored for fans like myself. My objections to the ending have little to do with nonsensical reveals and questionable logic, and much to do with a perceived lack of character beats. The story is a vehicle; so long as it carries me, I don't expect much else from it, and nor do I care much to analysis it from a critical perspective. But I am attached to the various characters. That isn't to say I want happy little 'it all worked out' codas for everyone, but it did bug me that the wrap up basically binned any notion of the other characters having any kind of existence independant of Shepard (beyond the insane Normandy thing). I wanted a sense of characters reacting to, and making efforts towards, dealing with a galaxy reeling from the events of the endgame - from Shepards choices. I wanted to see how Shepards influence on them might have impacted their ability to deal with the fall-out.

Hmmm. I'll, uh, just crawl back under my rock :blush:

• Locked thread