Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I know I'm going to sit there for at least a minute trying to get the bottom 2/3 to slide off as well, even though I know it wasn't designed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sole Survivor posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-htc-evo-4g-lte

For anyone wondering how there's a removable microSD card but no removable battery, here's why. Only the top part of the back cover is removable.

Making it so the battery pack cannot be removed seems like a lovely idea. If this going to become a new practice?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Akileese posted:

Making it so the battery pack cannot be removed seems like a lovely idea. If this going to become a new practice?

Manufacturers see that it works for Apple and they blindly try to copy it. What else is new?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

Manufacturers see that it works for Apple and they blindly try to copy it. What else is new?

Thing is, I've noticed that iPhones tend to get better battery life (significantly better in certain cases) than most android phones. One of the things I hated about my Evo 4G. Adding a slightly bigger battery is a nice gesture, but I'm not sure it'll cut it.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
It's great that Sprint is trying to have a unique device for itself, but man that's one ugly phone. They ruined the looks of the One X and One S.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Akileese posted:

It's easier to make phones super thin if you can hardwire the battery into the phone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What do people find so ugly about the phone? I really can't see that much of a difference between it and any number of other phones that have come out in the last six months.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Akileese posted:

Thing is, I've noticed that iPhones tend to get better battery life (significantly better in certain cases) than most android phones. One of the things I hated about my Evo 4G. Adding a slightly bigger battery is a nice gesture, but I'm not sure it'll cut it.

It's the planned obsolescence that's they like. They know that the battery is the first thing to go on a device, so why not tie the device to it? It artificially shortens the lifespan of the device. Sure you could pay someone to replace the battery but that's just one more obstacle you have to go through to fix it. Buying a new one is looking at least a little better now.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

bigpolar posted:

It's not looking good for number 5.

After I posted this, my new Evo 3d crashed 2 more times. I took it back to the store, it crashed while they were inspecting it, and they ordered another one. But, now they are back-ordered indefinitely, at least 1-2 weeks, and there are still no alternative devices available. Sprint's TEP program is just becoming a waste of money. The best part is, I leave for spring break tomorrow.

When I called customer service, all they offered to do was to waive the fee to switch back to an old phone. Now I'm looking through old boxes for my TP2 or an old centro, just to have something that will work for basic phone calls while I'm gone. What wonderful boon this Total Equipment Protection is. $8 a month to be a pain in my rear end, and supply me with all the broken phones I could desire.

Oh, and to put icing on the cake, the store manager told me that I now hold their store record for being sent defective devices through the TEP program. This makes 10 replacements in the past 9 months. I'm really getting pissed off in a major way about this.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Question for Sprint employees/Sprint pros:

I've been on my parent's plan for the longest. I have a launch Evo 4G. I plan to split off to get my own plan finally. I got an email with these instructions from a parent who called and asked how this was being handled:

quote:

"I contacted Sprint today and asked them how to complete the process of getting BotchedLobotomy to put his ###-###-#### number and phone bill under his name and a new Sprint account.

You need to call 877-639-8351 and both (myself and my dad) be on the phone at the same time. The account number is ####### and the PIN # is #######. Select the changes to your account option and dial 0 to talk with a live person, they will then transfer you on to the Change of Ownership department, open Mon-Sat from 8 AM - 7 PM CST."

Is this correct? And is there a way for me to get the EPRP plan? Is it possible for them to just "cut" me off the plan, and then I sign up on my own through the website, keeping my phone #? Keeping my phone # is whats important honestly, but saving 10 bucks a month wouldnt be bad. I dotn care if I'm out of phone service for a day or two or whatever.

I also want to keep my evo 4G until the evo One comes out and not "burn" a 2 year agreement signup on a soon to be outdated phone, is it possible for me to sign up, use my existing phone and then be eligible for the upgrade when its out in whatever time in the summer it releases?

Help! :(

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
So wait, is this new EVO really going to be 5.3"? Why are these phones getting so huge? I think the OG EVO 4G is about as big as my pockets can handle without me looking really happy all the time. I think they are blurring the line between tablet and phone a bit much for me.

Is the only reasonably sized newer phone in Sprint's lineup going to be the iPhone?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Goldmund posted:

What do people find so ugly about the phone? I really can't see that much of a difference between it and any number of other phones that have come out in the last six months.

I don't get it either, aside from the red stripe across the back, it's the exact same generic slab as 99% of other Android phones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

naughty_penguin posted:

So wait, is this new EVO really going to be 5.3"?
No, 4.7".

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

naughty_penguin posted:

So wait, is this new EVO really going to be 5.3"? Why are these phones getting so huge? I think the OG EVO 4G is about as big as my pockets can handle without me looking really happy all the time. I think they are blurring the line between tablet and phone a bit much for me.

Is the only reasonably sized newer phone in Sprint's lineup going to be the iPhone?

It's 4.7. It should be slightly larger than the Galaxy Nexus which is 4.65 but doesn't have capacative buttons below the display like the One X / EVO 4G LTE done does.

efb

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Q_res posted:

I don't get it either, aside from the red stripe across the back, it's the exact same generic slab as 99% of other Android phones.

Well... you do have a shiny plastic removable cover at the top (finger print magnet) and then the contrast of the matte aluminum finish on the rest of the phone. The red highlights aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

I'm really torn, because I love the MicroSD slot, but the non-removable battery is hosed up.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

letsgoflyers81 posted:

It's 4.7. It should be slightly larger than the Galaxy Nexus which is 4.65 but doesn't have capacative buttons below the display like the One X / EVO 4G LTE done does.

efb

Its actually smaller than the Galaxy Nexus AND has a 0.05" bigger screen. gently caress yeah. Hardware button supremacy.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
My Touch Pro 2 is on its last leg and I'm due for an upgrade. Would it be in my best interest to wait a little bit to upgrade with this new announcement or will it not effect the price on most devices? I'm interested in the Galaxy SII mostly but the Evo 3D if the price is right,

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
NOPE. Getting the Nexus. Screw you HTC, don't you try to sparkle me with your shiny.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Jensen posted:

NOPE. Getting the Nexus. Screw you HTC, don't you try to sparkle me with your shiny.

The EVO 4G LTE might have better battery life since it has a bigger battery and an integrated LTE chipset. That would be... like the first time ever that this is being said about an HTC phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Question for Sprint employees/Sprint pros:

I've been on my parent's plan for the longest. I have a launch Evo 4G. I plan to split off to get my own plan finally. I got an email with these instructions from a parent who called and asked how this was being handled:

Is this correct? And is there a way for me to get the EPRP plan? Is it possible for them to just "cut" me off the plan, and then I sign up on my own through the website, keeping my phone #? Keeping my phone # is whats important honestly, but saving 10 bucks a month wouldnt be bad. I dotn care if I'm out of phone service for a day or two or whatever.

I also want to keep my evo 4G until the evo One comes out and not "burn" a 2 year agreement signup on a soon to be outdated phone, is it possible for me to sign up, use my existing phone and then be eligible for the upgrade when its out in whatever time in the summer it releases?

Help! :(

First: are you eligible for a discount via work or school?

2nd: worst case port your number to google voice, get a new number and just use google voice integration. Honestly, I always recommend this for people willing to do it.

Quid posted:

My Touch Pro 2 is on its last leg and I'm due for an upgrade. Would it be in my best interest to wait a little bit to upgrade with this new announcement or will it not effect the price on most devices? I'm interested in the Galaxy SII mostly but the Evo 3D if the price is right,

Read the last 2 pages dude. You held out this long, hold out till at least April 22nd and get the galaxy nexus.

The galaxy nexus is listed as coming soon as available for employees to buy. Looks like my choice on what to get next is made easy.

Sd card would be nice, but with RDio and Netflix I just don't need it anymore.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2012

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

FlyingCheese posted:

It's the planned obsolescence that's they like. They know that the battery is the first thing to go on a device, so why not tie the device to it? It artificially shortens the lifespan of the device. Sure you could pay someone to replace the battery but that's just one more obstacle you have to go through to fix it. Buying a new one is looking at least a little better now.

That may be why the Android manufacturers do it but the original reason was to pack a bigger battery inside the iPhone. To allow a removable battery you have to have an inner shell, contact terminals, and release mechanism. Then the battery itself has to have a durable case, contacts, etc. The battery also can't be some weird size that takes up spare room in the case. This all means less battery for the same size/weight.

Even the new Apple laptops have built-in batteries and IIRC it led to 40% more battery capacity doing it that way.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ender.uNF posted:

That may be why the Android manufacturers do it but the original reason was to pack a bigger battery inside the iPhone. To allow a removable battery you have to have an inner shell, contact terminals, and release mechanism. Then the battery itself has to have a durable case, contacts, etc. The battery also can't be some weird size that takes up spare room in the case. This all means less battery for the same size/weight.

Even the new Apple laptops have built-in batteries and IIRC it led to 40% more battery capacity doing it that way.

While true, they haven't made many strides in lengthening the time it takes before the battery simply won't hold a charge. I appreciate the added life between charges (I own a MBP), but it still doesn't fix the lifespan of the device.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Not only that, but doesn't a non-removable backside allow for a more waterproof design, if that's what they're going for? see: Moto Droid RAZR

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am not seeing the slot for a 4g SIM care like Verizon uses. Have I not examined the pictures closely enough, or is Sprint adding yet another hitch for manufacturers to get devices onto their network?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The non-removable battery is kinda lame. I fly across the country several times a year, and it's really useful to me when I land to be able to swap in a fresh battery to my Evo. I wonder how this will effect the resale market on these new phones one they become old.

The lack of SD card on the Nexus doesn't seem like a real deal breaker. The only time that my removable SD card on my Evo was useful (aside from the lack of onboard storage) was when my charging port broke and I had to unroot the phone to take it back to Sprint. I don't know what issues there would be with transferring data to a new device, if any. I guess the only remaining situation is if your phone got smashed, but the SD card was left in tact.

So I am still not sure which to get.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Mark Larson posted:

Its actually smaller than the Galaxy Nexus AND has a 0.05" bigger screen. gently caress yeah. Hardware button supremacy.

It's smaller even though it has a bigger screen AND hardware buttons to boot? What kind of sorcery is this?

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
So, ArsTechnica is reporting that the Evo 4G LTE will have a pentile display. This is the only place where I'm hearing this and I'd be pretty wary if it was just some random site but ars usually has their act together so I'm taking it seriously. If true this would be a huge disappointment. I had just about convinced myself that I could live with SLCD2 over SAMOLED but a pentile display on top of that would be too much to swallow.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Duckman2008 posted:

First: are you eligible for a discount via work or school?

2nd: worst case port your number to google voice, get a new number and just use google voice integration. Honestly, I always recommend this for people willing to do it.

I dont know if I am eligible for a discount (I work in advertising for a 300 person company), but I can expense my data plan so that's nice at least.
In terms of porting to google voice that actually sounds cool but I'd prefer not to if I can get around it. Is it possible for me to cancel service and then re-sign up or do I lose my phone number if I do that? If I am going to lose my number if I do that, if I sign up the way described in that email I got, can I at least use my evo 4g until the new phones come out in the next couple months or do I need to wait 1-2 years? :(

Thanks again for your help!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
What in the gently caress is wrong with Sprint? "Hey, let's take the best looking phone to come out since the iPhone 4 and ruin it." Jesus Christ.

Also, I'm getting so loving sick of Sprint in Portland. This poo poo is ridiculous. EVDO is not usable. I basically don't have mobile internet. 1kB/s speed test this morning. 1kB/s. Sometimes I get like 50! :( When I call or email, they won't admit there is a problem. It driving me nuts.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Welcome to the Now Network. I had the same thing for the longest time, still do in certain areas of Phoenix. If I didn't have to convince my wife to let me deal with the startup costs of going elsewhere I would have left a long time ago, ETF be damned. At least they recently started adding capacity to some towers around me, so now I can pull a blazing 600kbps... meanwhile my work ATT iPhone gets 6000kbps.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ddogflex posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with Sprint? "Hey, let's take the best looking phone to come out since the iPhone 4 and ruin it." Jesus Christ.

Also, I'm getting so loving sick of Sprint in Portland. This poo poo is ridiculous. EVDO is not usable. I basically don't have mobile internet. 1kB/s speed test this morning. 1kB/s. Sometimes I get like 50! :( When I call or email, they won't admit there is a problem. It driving me nuts.

I find 1kB/s hard to believe. Screen shot?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Giblet posted:

I find 1kB/s hard to believe. Screen shot?

Yes, I make these things up because it's lol as gently caress. What purpose would that serve?

I downloaded a 9MB app today and it took over an hour. :D

Screenshot(that literally took 2-3 minutes to email to myself):

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I don't quite understand everyone's issue with Sprint's version of the One X. The sprint version has a kickstand and a SD card yet more people are complaining how ugly it looks. I really dont care what the back of the phone looks like. I mean this isn't at all like the HTC Hero, that got changed completely.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Drevoak posted:

I don't quite understand everyone's issue with Sprint's version of the One X. The sprint version has a kickstand and a SD card yet more people are complaining how ugly it looks. I really dont care what the back of the phone looks like. I mean this isn't at all like the HTC Hero, that got changed completely.

I would have prefered the polycarbonate version with the slick laser drilled mic/speaker holes, but this isn't terrible IMO.

For people saying that the Galaxy Nexus is just as fast as this phone, you are wrong.

This phone is much faster, and I'm pretty certain we'll see CM9 on this device, so unless you are horribly averse to root/ROM flashing, you should go with this device.

The screen is better, the SoC is much faster, it has a kickstand, it has a microSD slot.

Unless you can't live without a backup battery, then most people will be better off with the EVO [unless the GalNex doesn't launch @ $200 on contract, if its $100 then I'd say its a much closer fight]

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tijag posted:

I would have prefered the polycarbonate version with the slick laser drilled mic/speaker holes, but this isn't terrible IMO.

For people saying that the Galaxy Nexus is just as fast as this phone, you are wrong.

This phone is much faster, and I'm pretty certain we'll see CM9 on this device, so unless you are horribly averse to root/ROM flashing, you should go with this device.

The screen is better, the SoC is much faster, it has a kickstand, it has a microSD slot.

Unless you can't live without a backup battery, then most people will be better off with the EVO [unless the GalNex doesn't launch @ $200 on contract, if its $100 then I'd say its a much closer fight]

All of those are very good reasons to want the EVO X over the Galaxy Nexus, but there are a lot of us who are just tired of HTC Sense and just want stock Android.

Speaking of which, engadget is reporting that Sprint has released ICS for the Nexus s 4G.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

tijag posted:

People said the same thing about the EVO 3D. I've still yet to see an official build of CM7 or CM9. All I see are ports that compromise too much in terms of features to make it worth it, and I regret my purchase of the E3D because of this.

I'm really getting tired of Sprint due to the lagging network. I cannot hold a solid connection during my 45 minute train commute in the SF Bay Area on either 3G or 4G WiMAX. The main thing that keeps my love for Sprint is the native Google Voice integration and unlimited everything for such a low price. I wont lie though, I am really tempted to switch to ATT or Verizon because I am getting impatient with this network vision rollout.

BastardManor
Mar 10, 2003

Forums Taurus Aficionado

ddogflex posted:

Yes, I make these things up because it's lol as gently caress. What purpose would that serve?

I downloaded a 9MB app today and it took over an hour. :D

Screenshot(that literally took 2-3 minutes to email to myself):

Yep, looks about spot-on for Sprint's pathetic excuse of a network. Here in Louisville, if I'm not on wi-fi, I don't even attempt to do more than send a text message. There's a 50/50 chance a MMS will go through, and about the same odds of getting my facebook news feed or notifications to load.

Of course some of this has to do with the fact that Samsung phones have the worst CDMA radios in the industry, and I doubt network vision will help me out because the Epic 4G Touch doesn't do 800mhz CDMA. But hey, if you're within the one-block radius of Louisville's one WiMax tower (and you're outside, preferably on a rooftop) you can get speeds approaching 1 megabit down.

The only reason I put up with this poo poo is because the carriers with real networks charge real money for access to them.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

BastardManor posted:

and I doubt network vision will help me out because the Epic 4G Touch doesn't do 800mhz CDMA.
Realistically speaking, you shouldn't really expect a Network Vision upgrade until around the time you're eligible for an upgrade away from that phone anyway.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

but there are a lot of us who are just tired of HTC Sense and just want stock Android.

Yep. Just want a stock experience device. I'm tired of all the little changes that mostly just annoy me, half of which don't really work the way I want them to anyway.

The GV integration combined with the chrome extension for GV is so useful that I am stuck on sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Jeratain posted:

I'm really getting tired of Sprint due to the lagging network. I cannot hold a solid connection during my 45 minute train commute in the SF Bay Area on either 3G or 4G WiMAX. The main thing that keeps my love for Sprint is the native Google Voice integration and unlimited everything for such a low price. I wont lie though, I am really tempted to switch to ATT or Verizon because I am getting impatient with this network vision rollout.

I got 4G LTE on my Verizon phone all the way on Caltrain, only dropping through the one long tunnel near San Bruno/Millbrae where even 3G cut out. That sealed the deal for me.