Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Random Stranger posted:

I actually tried out a bunch of different file upload services when I did the April Fool's joke and I ran into issues with most of them. UploadKing last time I checked had a pretty restrictive file size. I hadn't heard of minus.com so I'll give them a whirl.

minus is garbage as a filehost. It's alright as an image host though. Rapidgator is pretty good only problem is that free accounts can only download files under 500mb, Uploaded.to is for the most part pretty alright as well, only issue is the wait times between downloads. The rest are just plain bad, mediafire would be best but the files are too big.

In the end, long live megaupload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

In the sword of musashi episode, as he's choosing what game to play next, it appears as if there was a fourth option they decided not to televise. Does anyone have any idea what that red cartridge is?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I never noticed that before. Looks like Captain Tsubasa.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

I never noticed that before. Looks like Captain Tsubasa.

I've made a mental note to own this game one day. It's a soccer RPG with kickass cutscenes for special kicks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

I've made a mental note to own this game one day. It's a soccer RPG with kickass cutscenes for special kicks.

In the intermediately, there's always Inazuma Eleven and it's sequel which are both out in english.

Basically that for the DS with an extra strong whack of pokemon trade and collect for good measure.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 4, 2012

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

zari-gani posted:

Oh, Dragon Buster. This is one of those titles where, the entire time I was translating the episode, I was thinking to myself "what an awful game." Does anyone have any fond memories of this one?

I had some fun with the minigame "remake" of it in Tales of the Abyss, but it seemed to have tighter controls and hit detection than the original.

Otherwise, I don't know, it seems like something that would appeal to people who enjoy roguelikes.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
The Dragon Buster episode was amazing. Thanks again, SAGCCX! You guys are seriously one of the best things on the internet. The episode was another one I saw untranslated a long time ago, so I'm happy that I didn't remember how it ended. :)

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the intermediately, there's always Inazuma Eleven and it's sequel which are both out in english.

Basically that for the DS with an extra strong whack of pokemon trade and collect for good measure.

Captain Tsubasa came out for the NES as Tecmo Cup Soccer, though a lot of stuff was changed. If you don't mind playing a dumb blonde dude, it's not too hard to find a copy of the the American version of that title.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Ahaha! That Emoyan, not sleeping. What a goof! He should go shave or something. :v:

The culture behind the japanese and their workplace. :geno:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

zari-gani posted:

Oh, Dragon Buster. This is one of those titles where, the entire time I was translating the episode, I was thinking to myself "what an awful game." Does anyone have any fond memories of this one?

I used to buy randomly chosen famicom games from rising stuff, who have closed down now. Both Sword of Musashi and Dragon Buster are games I got this way. I only played a few minutes of Musashi but I didn't care for it at all. For some reason though I really like Dragon Buster. I agree that it's an awful game, but it's an awful game I'm very fond of for some reason.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

jyrque posted:

There's a full-length Touhou parody game based on it. It's pretty good, actually, and fully fan-translated, if a little tricky to find.

Last time I tried playing it I got stuck trying to win the NetherWorld Cup.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
"Those sure are some tiny fencers" cracks me up for some reason.

Also, is that a poorly drawn Lina Inverse on the "Dance Now" Korean cartridge?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
As a Korean fan, I loved the Korea and Sword of Mushashi episodes. Zarigani's translations of the Korean parts were good for someone with no knowledge of Hangul(Korean). In the Sword of Mushashi Tamage, it was a near perfect translation. The name of the girl who played the arcade game with Arino was wrong. The last name was Lee, not Li. I know that this is not a big deal and does not deter the translation of the episode. Zarigani told me that figuring out the Korean names was hard in the Korean episodes as the are not similar to Japanese names. Great Job Zarigani.

When Arino tried to say "I am tired." in Korean, I laughed that the kids understood him as his Korean was bad and that his pronounciation of it was terrible.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I'm just getting around to watching the 24-hour Lemmings documentary (ep 89), and at 22:27 into it I noticed a 3DO box in the background:

(For those not familiar: the 3DO was manufactured a by few different companies according to a common hardware spec, such as the Panasonic version pictured.)

So basically I'm just wondering if the 3DO has ever shown up in any of the non-translated episodes that I wouldn't have seen.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Someone said that the Super GnG episode featured 3DO in that segment where they show off obscure consoles. It's something I definitely want to see subbed (I feel like it was one of the episodes in the queue at some point??!)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could watch the cold opening to the Dragon Buster episode all day. It plays like some sort of demented British Comedy Skit.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
I know it's not the 1st anymore, but is the SugoiSquad episode gone? :(
Also, and I'm not even sure whether asking is permitted or not, but where does the team normally get raw episodes?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Cracky posted:

I know it's not the 1st anymore, but is the SugoiSquad episode gone? :(

The filehost sucks and kinda blew up or something. Ill start a torrent for anyone else who missed it.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 485.90 MB)
View torrent stats

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I only have one question about the newest episde... why is the Ogre Goblin in the beginning holding a pot-leaf? :2bong:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The original name is Oni Tengu -- oni being a Japanese ogre, and tengu being a unique type of monster-god that's extremely prevalent in Japanese culture. Wiki explains it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

You may have seen it in other video games. The most obvious example I can think of is Tengu Man from Mega Man 8.

Tengus are often seen carrying a fan made of feathers or a big momiji (Japanese maple) leaf. They're both used to create powerful gusts of wind.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

zari-gani posted:

The original name is Oni Tengu -- oni being a Japanese ogre, and tengu being a unique type of monster-god that's extremely prevalent in Japanese culture. Wiki explains it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

You may have seen it in other video games. The most obvious example I can think of is Tengu Man from Mega Man 8.

Tengus are often seen carrying a fan made of feathers or a big momiji (Japanese maple) leaf. They're both used to create powerful gusts of wind.

When I was a little kid when Mega Man 8 came out I had never heard of a Tengu and I was like "What?? They're just making up words now!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For anyone who needs a direct download of the Dragon Buster episode it is now available at http://depositfiles.com/files/ezvgyy1qa .

FWIW I tried the other file hosts mentioned and they didn't work out. The first had a 100MB upload cap and the second had required registration.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Can I just quickly mention how happy I am to be working on the new subs for the Kotaku 12?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Only if we can quickly mention how happy we are you are working on resubbing the Kotaku 12.

Because we are so happy :neckbeard:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I was just looking through old episodes and I saw that Arino played some Dragon Buster during a Tamage on episode 3 (Ghosts & Goblins).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Can I just quickly mention how happy I am to be working on the new subs for the Kotaku 12?

I hope you're remembering to preserve those vital terms like "zaku enemies". Everyone who matters understands what that is...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm more excited than I should be for Ninja Gaiden being translated. :3:

That's the episode that got me into the show originally, I saw it was amazing even though Kotaku's dub crap.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm glad I never watched any of the Kotaku episodes. Have any of the distribution channels for the DVDs been confirmed yet?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Random Stranger posted:

I hope you're remembering to preserve those vital terms like "zaku enemies". Everyone who matters understands what that is...

It's 'zako', not 'zaku'. Zakus are the guys from Gundam. Come on, if you're gonna make a joke about it then at least get it right.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Son Ryo posted:

It's 'zako', not 'zaku'. Zakus are the guys from Gundam. Come on, if you're gonna make a joke about it then at least get it right.

Well, whatever company Kotaku used for their episodes, that's what they put in. So blame them.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, so they are no Zaku, boy? No Zaku?

Side note: having abstained from the apparent despoiling of the Kotak funded translations, I have no idea what translation issue you guys are in confusion over. Are they really that bad?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
"Zako enemies" is mostly just incredibly redundant. It's pretty much referring to "small fry enemies", which does make sense, but it sounds redundant when you could just say "zako" on its own and context wouldn't really be lost... and it's sure not good at all in English untranslated. Whereas "Zaku enemies" makes me think of things with one eye. Of which a few games do have several...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, whatever company Kotaku used for their episodes, that's what they put in. So blame them.

In the Ninja Gaiden episode? That was definitely 'zako'.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Son Ryo posted:

In the Ninja Gaiden episode? That was definitely 'zako'.

I don't even remember. I don't even want to remember. Let's just call it a lovely translation and move on.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Episode # 137
4/12/2012
Super Chinese

I'm glad that season 16 is about to start soon. Can't wait to see the new AD.

Anyone know more about this game? Looks like the famicom version. I think the western title is Kung Fu Heroes.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 5, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, the game is Kung Fu Heroes. I've never played it but I've seen cheap copies around. I may grab one this weekend after I've finished up the next episode.

What I'm really interested in is the new AD.

Looks like the episode is also going to feature more stuff from the 40th Birthday special.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 6, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

About the "Dance Now!" game (which yes, features Lina Inverse on the cover for some reason), the official info submission form is still up on the GCCX site. But I'm gonna guess they don't care about it anymore. More info on it has been available online for a while now on this Japanese page.
To start the game, press A on the 2P controller. There's a list of 12 songs to choose from, but they have no idea how to start any of the dances.

Kung Fu Heroes is a fun co-op game, but it's pretty difficult playing alone. I look forward to it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This is my favorite one of these.

zari-gani posted:

About the "Dance Now!" game (which yes, features Lina Inverse on the cover for some reason),

Slayers was incredibly huge in its time (AKA the 90's).

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Kung Fu Heroes is a fun co-op game, but it's pretty difficult playing alone. I look forward to it.

I can attest to this, being an only child who loved this game to death. I didn't beat it (I rarely beat anything as a kid), but it has a place in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Command Ant posted:

This is my favorite one of these.

Slayers was incredibly huge in its time (AKA the 90's).

How soon we forget:

edit: Countdown to kirby....