Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or just remove what appear to be 8 bolts holding the X brace in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought the V10 was OHV?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
God drat those front tires are wider than my rear tires. Would love to see the rear of that thing with massive 355 width rubber.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I love that even though it has obviously grown up, it still looks like a Viper. Loving the double bubble roof.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm a bit concerned about the lack of dry sump oiling. If they are upping the price into the $120k region then I think a dry sump from the factory should be expected.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of dry sump oiling. If they are upping the price into the $120k region then I think a dry sump from the factory should be expected.

My neighbor will have a kit for it by launch. Not like a stock "made in China" sump *couz06gh* *couzr1gh* were all that good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

With the exceptions of the crazy-rear end Prius transmission and some push-button autos, I've never seen an auto that didn't have Reverse between Park and Drive.
I believe it was federally mandated for ease of use based on the good old "The average driver is a loving retard" principle.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Like with the Corvette, I do wonder if they'd consider going mid-engine with the Viper when they next hit a "ground up redesign" changeover. There's no reason it would have to cost the six-figures Ford charged for the GT, and with that kind of powerplant they could certainly give traditional supercar makers something to think about.

On that note, actually, were I able to put myself in a position to afford a Factory Five GTM, I'd find it quite hard to stop myself:

Edit: And yes, the Viper's front tyres look ridiculous.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 6, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I thought the V10 was OHV?

It is. How do you think they're running it off a single cam?
e: "Pushrods are 10 percent stiffer with wall thickness increased from .06 inch to .08 inch." :911:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

Loving the double bubble roof.

Does this design element have a name?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oRenj9 posted:

Does this design element have a name?
People often call them Gurney Bubbles - Dan Gurney was a lanky bastard whose Le Mans GT40 had to have a bubble added to the roof so he could actually drive it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

It's pretty weird how far they're going to avoid doing it - having a flexible oil pickup that fights the G-forces to pull the deepest oil under surge conditions is a pretty complicated piece of engineering.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just want to say that yesterday I had the pleasure of driving a brand-new SHO (as my father is probably getting one) and god drat it's a nice car. Certainly huge as hell and not a track car or anything, but for a highway missile it's hard to beat.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I was at the NYIAS today and the viper looks so god drat good in person. The ALMS GTS-R looks even better

it has a dry sump too :v:

When I arrived at the SRT floor space the street viper was missing so we asked one of the booth babes where it was. She told us that they had sent it over to be on a TV show but it had just arrived back at the Javits center and would be back out in a few minutes. We happened to catch it being driven the short distance from outside to its place and my god the sound and presence it has. It drew an enormous crowd* as it was idled slowly across the convention center floor.

*not pictured

:patriot::canada: ALL HAIL RALPH GILLES :canada::patriot:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's pretty weird how far they're going to avoid doing it - having a flexible oil pickup that fights the G-forces to pull the deepest oil under surge conditions is a pretty complicated piece of engineering.

Just to be pedantic, the pickup goes with the G-force, right? It swings to the side where oil is pooling. I'd say a flexible pickup is still simpler engineering than a whole drysump setup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Just to be pedantic, the pickup goes with the G-force, right? It swings to the side where oil is pooling. I'd say a flexible pickup is still simpler engineering than a whole drysump setup.
Yeah. That's correct. I guess it's simpler, I just can't think of any other car that does it right now. Maybe other exotics.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

It is. How do you think they're running it off a single cam?
e: "Pushrods are 10 percent stiffer with wall thickness increased from .06 inch to .08 inch." :911:

Yeah, I could've sworn I read that. It's not the brace that I was referring to making the plug changes impossible, it was the fact that the engine seems to be hard up against chassis rail/inner-wheel well.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah. That's correct. I guess it's simpler, I just can't think of any other car that does it right now. Maybe other exotics.

The 2008 Viper had it too, it's just carried over.

It's nice that the cam-in-cam variable valve timing is still alive, but I was really hoping that they would adopt the Multiair head from the FIAT 500 as well and give it straight up infinite valve timing and lift. I guess the additional cost probably wasn't worth it and the engine was already powerful enough.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

I thought the main point of a dry sump setup was to mount the engine lower down (and relocate the weight of the oil reservoir), not oil starvation. Hell, converting a SBC to dry sump is mostly bolt-on parts, I believe.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 7, 2012

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kill me now posted:

The front can't decide whether it wants to be a Farrari California, a plain old Dodge with the crossbar, or an Alfa-Romeo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Presto posted:

The front can't decide whether it wants to be a Farrari California, a plain old Dodge with the crossbar, or an Alfa-Romeo.

You know what? That's a compromise I can live with.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

I thought the main point of a dry sump setup was to mount the engine lower down (and relocate the weight of the oil reservoir), not oil starvation. Hell, converting a SBC to dry sump is mostly bolt-on parts, I believe.

Well yeah, you don't need to open the engine to install a dry sump but there still at least a few thousand dollars in parts.

How much oil would a dry sump on a viper need? 20 litres?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I think the main point is so when you're pulling GEEEEs you don't starve the engine for oil.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Presto posted:

and here i thought it had decided that it wants to be a ginetta g50

the race car looks even more like it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wav3form posted:

I think the main point is so when you're pulling GEEEEs you don't starve the engine for oil.

The main point is whichever affects the conventional-sumped engine more, but both are major benefits to performance.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Well yeah, you don't need to open the engine to install a dry sump but there still at least a few thousand dollars in parts.

Dry sumps aren't so much expensive to implement as they are impractical for a road car. They need a lot more oil than a normal wet sump and are harder to get oil up to temp; in reality you can engineer around a wet sump until a certain g threshold which a road car wont likely see.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

You'd probably need a new oil pan, a new pump (or maybe several pumps), a reservoir, and the plumbing for all that stuff, so yeah it wouldn't be cheap.

A normal (old) Viper V10 only takes like 6-8 quarts (7-6 liters in si) so while a dry sump system typically requires more oil, I can't imagine it takes that much more.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

You'd probably need a new oil pan, a new pump (or maybe several pumps), a reservoir, and the plumbing for all that stuff, so yeah it wouldn't be cheap.

A normal (old) Viper V10 only takes like 6-8 quarts (7-6 liters in si) so while a dry sump system typically requires more oil, I can't imagine it takes that much more.
The Allpar article says the new one takes 10.5q.

A 911 Turbo (that has a real dry sump yes?) takes 9 q, and the engine is quite a bit smaller.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

A dry sump's main job is to keep the engine from ever starving for oil, an increase in HP is just an added perk since the crank and such do not have to touch the pool of oil at all.

The downside of Dry Sump is like said above, it can be impractical for road use since it takes up some more room in the engine bay as well as does need a separate pump that on a lot of Upgrade Kits for current cars, removes the A/C.

If you guys want more info and such I can probably find it out.

Check out https://www.drysump.com for more technical info on the systems.

I can guarantee you that this guy will have a Sump designed and built if he hasn't already. Maybe Jay Leno will call him up for one again.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 7, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Getting back to new cars we like. Honda has finally fixed the Accord Crosstour's lack of unpainted plastic body cladding.

In case you were confused

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
It's as if they're trying to see how far they can push the envelope for ugly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe Honda has decided that Subaru's recent success in North America is due to ugly cars, and so has decided to make even uglier cars.

There's an entire office of designers somewhere in their HQ that has whisky on an IV drip.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Presto posted:

Normally I poo poo all over this kind of design work, but when the car is probably going to be a class leader in its segment in terms of performance, it could look like a copy of a brick shithouse and I wouldn't care.

The different design elements can be pointed out as coming from here or there, but the end result just screams Viper.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably prefer more horizontal headlights line on the original:

But other than that, I'd say it looks great, inside and out. Can't really argue with a 650HP NA engine, reduced weight, and improved everything else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Normally I poo poo all over this kind of design work, but when the car is probably going to be a class leader in its segment in terms of performance, it could look like a copy of a brick shithouse and I wouldn't care.

The different design elements can be pointed out as coming from here or there, but the end result just screams Viper.

Yeah, round lower air intake, dual aero air exhausts, and NACA-esque front air intake port aren't exactly super-distinctive. Most supercars just look like that. It's not about having particular design features - it's about how they're proportioned and implemented. If it looks cool and is functional, then mission accomplished.

Re: the Honda Crosstour - haahahhahaha Honda is hosed.
Next up: the new Honda Ridgeline, as inspired by the Subaru Baja. But also with a huge ugly grille.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well they didn't really make the Crosstour look worse but that would be a notable achievement.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
2013 ford fusion with aston martin style grill owns

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
It appears that new Fusion is dropping the V6 options (3.0 and 3.5) in place of two turbocharged I4s. Not sure how I feel about that, as I was considering (among other vehicles) the AWD sport model with the 3.5. I know turbos are much better today reliability-wise, but I sort of prefer the relative simplicity of a large N/A engine.

Then again I think the up-engined midsize sedan market is shrinking now and auto makers are more often tying the more powerful engines to higher, more expensive trims. The flip side was base model with an upgraded engine but that's fading now. Dodge does offer their nice pentastar in a low-end trim of the Avenger, though, but the same setup is absent from the new 200's lineup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Everyone's moving away from the V6 due to CAFE, and take rates on V6s are terrible anyway even when they're offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Internet Victory posted:

2013 ford fusion with aston martin style grill owns

That's still the car I'm hoping to get later this year, pending release of some more info. They list all the engine options on the website but no power numbers yet. Meanwhile Chevy released all those figures for the 2014 Impala at the NY show and that won't be out until next spring. What gives Ford?