Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Deacon of Delicious posted:

I'm in the US, but that sounds like the one of the puzzle books from Usborne Publishing.

I was pretty crazy about these books when I was in middle school. I only had a few, but I read them to pieces.

Oh, and Day of the Tentacle isn't campy, it's awesome :colbert: (love me those lucas arts games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

magic pantaloons posted:

Dance, Petunia, dance.

Me and my brothers loved this show so god drat much. We still have VHS copies of a couple seasons. Hell, my older brother even has Petunia tattooed on his arm(granted it is the original Mucha version, so it looks slightly different than the one on the show).

Thanks to this thread I am about to buy a bunch of DVD's from amazon of 90's kids shows. I think Hey dude! is gonna be first on the list. Also, netflix just recently added Saved by the Bell to streaming, so I have been spending way too much time watching that. I know Eerie Indiana was mentioned already, but my girlfriend has the entire series on DVD and I spent the first few days after we moved in together watching the entire thing. Such an amazing show.

Rahonavis posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the books that blew my mind in middle school yet...?

Those books were loving awesome, if for nothing other than the art work.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
In regards to the Mighty Max chat a page or so back:

Skull Mountain

I loved the hell out of this playset, I think I played with this thing until it literally fell apart.

This was quite possibly the most fun board game I ever owned. You could even play by yourself. Unfortunately, my little brother got a hold of it, and that was goodbye game. I also own the Dark Tower board game, but that's the 80's. This was the 90's equivalent.

Draven has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Apr 3, 2012

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

youtube

Part of my 90's nostalgia comes from my family's fortune swinging into the "not so desperately poor" income bracket in the middle of the decade; a position where I could actually afford new or newer things. I suddenly found myself being able to stop wearing hand-me-down Zubas and fabric-painted sweatshirts and start wearing clearance Jncos with included wallet chains.

That being the case, my only consoles prior to the Playstation were a NES and an Actionmax (VHS-based Lightgun console,) so when I managed to receive a Playstation within a year of its launch my brain literally ripped itself out of my skull and exploded all over the place upon seeing a controllable 3D dinosaur.

I'm very happy that 'elephant' style pants haven't shown up near the US coastlines for roughly a decade (Hulk Hogan notwithstanding).

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Smelly posted:

This was quite possibly the most fun board game I ever owned. You could even play by yourself. Unfortunately, my little brother got a hold of it, and that was goodbye game. I also own the Dark Tower board game, but that's the 80's. This was the 90's equivalent.

My grandparents bought this game, and my cousins and my sisters and I would play it every Christmas, without fail.

We went back to visit last Christmas, and even though all of us cousins are 25 - 35 years old now, Omega Virus is still just as fun as always. :D

My grandparents now claim it was the best Christmas purchase they ever made, since it provided twenty straight years of entertainment.

"15 minutes until *I* take over....mwah ha ha ha...you fool!"

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ishamael posted:

My grandparents bought this game, and my cousins and my sisters and I would play it every Christmas, without fail.

We went back to visit last Christmas, and even though all of us cousins are 25 - 35 years old now, Omega Virus is still just as fun as always. :D

My grandparents now claim it was the best Christmas purchase they ever made, since it provided twenty straight years of entertainment.

"15 minutes until *I* take over....mwah ha ha ha...you fool!"

"HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME YOU FOOL"

That Virus was pretty drat scary. :ohdear:

It's not all that expensive to pick up again, apparently $125 for a sealed copy. I'm thinking I might grab a used copy that's missing maybe some of the weapon pieces, since they're just visual cues and not exactly a neccesity.

"Red..Hurry..We..Are..Running..Out..Of...Time..."

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

VoilaIntruder posted:

I'm very happy that 'elephant' style pants haven't shown up near the US coastlines for roughly a decade (Hulk Hogan notwithstanding).

Hey now I happen to like those pants, because they're easy to move around in.

Then again I've liked oversized clothing long before it became a fashion trend.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

VoilaIntruder posted:

Fashion is (for the most part) cyclical, I just hope that I've been dead a long time when baggy pants come back into style. They can pry my slim fit jeans from my cold, dead legs.

edit: however, I welcome the return of Blossom's awesome hats.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Apr 4, 2012

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I remember in middle school, girls had whole binders of these doll things printed out. There used to be a chat room kind of thing where you could make your own and I would spend *sigh* hours there after school.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Masonic Youth posted:

The Secret City Adventures and later Imagination Station, with "Commander" Mark Kistler.

Taught me everything I know :)

Thank you so much. Goddamn I loved that show. I have my evenings booked for the next few days.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

That's right, it's Math Blaster!

MPlayer. I used to play SCARAB and QuakeWorld on this all day.

Pogs. You were only cool if you had an awesome slammer though.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FetalDave posted:

The poor kids at my school would put stickers on cardboard and cut a circle around it. :(

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FetalDave posted:

I never even knew these things existed until the 90s were long over. Were they more of a thing in the early 90s when I would have been in kindergarten and poo poo? I suppose I just could've just been living under a rock when it came to fads until Pokemon came along or something (although I do remember yo-yos being really big around 1996 or so).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I never even knew these things existed until the 90s were long over. Were they more of a thing in the early 90s when I would have been in kindergarten and poo poo? I suppose I just could've just been living under a rock when it came to fads until Pokemon came along or something (although I do remember yo-yos being really big around 1996 or so).
They were popular from mid 94 until late 95. Then everyone stopped giving a poo poo about them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cromulent posted:

They were popular from mid 94 until late 95. Then everyone stopped giving a poo poo about them.
I remember seeing pogs for the first time in 1998, and they were still around for a couple of years after that. I even recall the teacher calling them "pokemons" at one point, and Pokémon didn't really become popular over here until early 2000.

I guess Finland was the place where 90s fads went to die several years after everyone else in the world stopped caring.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Cromulent posted:

All this talk of Pogs made me remember this unaired cartoon pilot, which contains all of the campy '90s poo poo. All of it.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fashion is (for the most part) cyclical, I just hope that I've been dead a long time when baggy pants come back into style. They can pry my slim fit jeans from my cold, dead legs.

edit: however, I welcome the return of Blossom's awesome hats.

They've made a sort of comeback here in the UK. The current trend is ridiculously baggy crotches combined with tight legs. The bagginess is slowly working its way down the torso

Z-Magic has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Apr 4, 2012

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Z-Magic posted:

They've made a sort of comeback here in the UK. The current trend is ridiculously baggy crotches combined with tight legs. The bagginess is slowly working its way down the torso

Also Palazzo pants have been in on and off for the last couple of years. Trousers with legs so ridiculously wide that they look like a granny skirt.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Cromulent posted:

I suppose this is most likely because, as with every single other fad 'thing', some kid would always invariably gently caress it up by doing something stupid and getting that 'thing' banned at their schools.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Davfff posted:

I suppose this is most likely because, as with every single other fad 'thing', some kid would always invariably gently caress it up by doing something stupid and getting that 'thing' banned at their schools.
Yeah, kids were essentially gambling with them, and lots of schools banned them. I don't doubt that they were still in stores by 1998, but the mania over them was definitely quieted by 1996.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Davfff posted:

That kid was named Mark at our school, he flung a heavy rear end slammer at another kids head, splitting it open.

Thanks Mark, you rear end in a top hat. We played during lunch. :mad:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Smelly posted:

In regards to the Mighty Max chat a page or so back:

Skull Mountain

I loved the hell out of this playset, I think I played with this thing until it literally fell apart.

I have a friend that I promised when he gets married I will get him Skull Mountain as a wedding gift.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FetalDave posted:

SCARAB
I remember playing the SCARAB demo on MPLAYER extensively. Loved it. I received a pair of MPLAYER boxers for answering a trivia question correctly. There was also a game with Tanks and helicopters that you could battle indoors and outdoors with. It involved running over lights to go faster, and picking up double and triple "razer guns" and ion cannons.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

FetalDave posted:

That's right, it's Math Blaster!

It's all coming back to me. :aaaaa:

FetalDave posted:

In Australia, we had our own version of Pogs called Tazos and you would collect them from chip packets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ESKmA89_s4

Aberlien
Feb 12, 2011

I am a doctor. This is science.

FetalDave posted:

Or had a pog tube that was three feet long.

My uncle has owned a successful graphic design company for the last twenty years. In the early nineties they designed a poo poo ton of pogs for various companies and I got a bunch of them for free, I thought I had my little finger on the pulse of the fad to end all a fads. In reality the pogs were probably a low priority project and they were just cashing in on a cheap product while they could. The pogs I got were most likely defective in some way or just an excess over quota.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FetalDave posted:

Collectable things in chip packets were a huge craze growing up. Oddbodz, Glo-caps, Goosebumps and so on depending on what was the rage.

Tazo's became popular due to their lenticular surfaces or the techno ones that had notches to build things out of.

TAZO's had a promotion with the Star Wars re releases where you got little ship kits that you built that were only found in larger packets of chips.

I have this assembled somewhere - must have packed it up.

But I did find this Tazo promotion in my old box of cards.

Yeah nothing more 90's than the insanity of Batman and Robin.

Of course this all went nuts when Phantom Menace cards came out that had a chance to win a free pack of chips.
The cards turned out to be thin enough that you could see if they were a winner when held up to the light so a black market was established where people were buying cards at insane markups...just to get free chips.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I don't think we mentioned this staple of 90's videogaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KA9S91A66k

Earthworm Jim!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Remember when breakdancing did a brief comeback? (Bomfunk MCs - Uprocking Beats)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwZx1hyGL8

He's the Rad Nintendo Kid ten years down the line.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Palpatine MD posted:

I don't think we mentioned this staple of 90's videogaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KA9S91A66k

Earthworm Jim!
Huh, so that's what the levels past Snot a Problem look like!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I know I'm not the only one who had this:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Criminal Minded posted:

Toy cars were the poo poo. I had multiple mats that I'd almost exclusively use to play out elaborate police chases, I had a "build your own city" play-set I found at a garage sale, I had an entire trunk full of ludicrously-designed Hot-Wheels cars that I would force to race down anything that had gravity to make them go (my driveway, play-sets, hurling them down the stairs).

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Criminal Minded posted:

Vrrrrmmm! :3:

I don't know how much bleedover we're allowing between decades, but Megaman from 2 on was my poo poo as a kid. As far as I know, I never played the first one.

jordybee
Nov 16, 2011

:h: Po-ta-toes! :h:

:taco::taco::taco:
Hand held Pikachu

AND the Pikachu 2

Pretty much just tamagotchis with Pokemon inside them.

In elementary school my parents gave me 20 dollars for pizza when they went out of town and I was staying at my cousins house so I bought his Pikachu from him for 20 dollars and a boy who had a crush on me had a Pikachu 2, we'd always trade and he'd play the games to buy me food and stuff on mine. :h:
(I'm sorry if somebody's already mentioned these)

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Buh posted:

Treasure Mountain!
This :krad: educational game came out when I was 4. Had to climb all over a mountain snatching elves, solving riddles and collecting treasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8libUShcrE

Man the brain is weird. Apparently I had an irrational fear of the elves. I could not have told you that five minutes ago... but when they appeared in the video, I gave an involuntary shiver and a sense of dread came flooding back. My subconcious hatred has survived for something I haven't seen in 20 years...

I do remember being afraid of the other game in the series: Midnight Rescue!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCrEB73Mgrs
Oh god what if robots appear out of nowhere in the middle of the night what if that

Oh My loving God

I was reading this thread trying to remember an old DOS game I used to play with some early 90's stereotype in a red hat in sunglasses, roaming around a... school? there were lockers, that's all I remember... answering questions.

THE SUPER SOLVER.

And yeah those elves creeped me right the hell out.

Edit: Man, 1989? So drat long ago!

Makaris has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Apr 6, 2012

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

jordybee posted:

AND the Pikachu 2

That mystery fluid on the bottom right corner sweat or tears?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Makaris posted:

I was reading this thread trying to remember an old DOS game I used to play with some early 90's stereotype in a red hat in sunglasses, roaming around a... school? there were lockers, that's all I remember... answering questions.
The Super Sovler series had a lot of recyled gameplay. Treasure Mountain had spinoffs Treasure Cove and Mathstorm. There was another variant of Midnight Rescue called Outnumbered! where you solved math problems in a TV station building.

Ancient Empires was the best one.

vvvv Loved Operation Neptune. The two difficulties had entirely different level designs, effectively doubling the game's scope. I didn't have a sound card or CD-rom drive at the time; I didn't know there were voices.

Dominoes has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Apr 6, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I never played Ancient Empires, but Operation Neptune was apparently considered part of the Super Solvers line for a while, and that was a pretty kickass educational game (and apparently they cared enough to rerecord the lines for UK audiences).

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
My favorite childhood toy of all time. Behold of the wonder of the Power Rangers action figures with flip-heads!

You press their belt and their chest opens up and it flips between normal faces to their helmets.

phlix
Feb 8, 2004
Euro Trash

Sizone posted:

That mystery fluid on the bottom right corner sweat or tears?

My guess would be that weird fluid soft rubber, used for toys and poo poo like that, seems to exude given sufficient shelftime.
My old PS2 controllers analog-sticks has these drops of mystery fluid on them if i dig them out of their crate.
Gross as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

pageerror404 posted:

My favorite childhood toy of all time. Behold of the wonder of the Power Rangers action figures with flip-heads!

You press their belt and their chest opens up and it flips between normal faces to their helmets.

I hated these things, even as a kid. Why not just make not-retarded proportion figures and give them removable helmets? It's not like the button turns them plainclothes or something. So much toy-rage.

PS who was the genius that made it so there was NEVER a proper Green or White ranger power coin?

• Locked thread