Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Sure it is. Just not in bottles. We get Elder on draft in Philly not constantly, but with some regularity, and we get Younger on rare occasions.

OK, change my post to "Except for some cities getting kegs here and there, it isn't sold outside of pours at bars on the east coast". ;)

Also, as a former Philly resident of many years, boy am I jealous of how much of a good beer town (minus the generally crummy liquor laws..) it has become in the last few years, ugh.

I Dont Like You fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Phanatic posted:

Sure it is. Just not in bottles. We get Elder on draft in Philly not constantly, but with some regularity, and we get Younger on rare occasions.

:argh:

I've had it once. I found a slightly out of season bottle once while I was in Aspen. Very good, but certainly not the white unicorn it is perceived to be. Having said that, I would have a perma-erection if I had it on tap here in Chas.

Am I going to be slapped if I think Golden Monkey is better than Allagash's Tripel? I know the Allagash is much revered, but that's two domestic tripel's I like better (New Belgium and Victory).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phanatic posted:

I'm pretty sure I bought a bottle of Pliny when I was in Pittsburgh last year? :confused: I guess I could be misremembering...

Speaking of Pliny I'm gonna cross post from the beer trading thread since this is a bit time sensitive and I got no replies there:

Is fresh Pliny easy to find right about now? I've got a coworker/beer buddy whose wife had their first kid last night, and he mentioned to me a day or two ago how he's never had any Pliny and would love to get his hands on a bottle. He's coming back to work early next week and I'd love to surprise him with a bottle or two of it, if possible. Any goons able to hook me up quick?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hopefully someone in Ca'll respond, but in CO, it's pretty much a "I'll give you a couple if I have any and you've been a fine customer to me" thing. Chiefly this is because if they do it any other way, up on eBay it all goes.

It is an all-year beer, however, so while scarce, it's always there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hopefully someone in Ca'll respond, but in CO, it's pretty much a "I'll give you a couple if I have any and you've been a fine customer to me" thing. Chiefly this is because if they do it any other way, up on eBay it all goes.

It is an all-year beer, however, so while scarce, it's always there.

Yeah I didn't expect to have any difficulty getting any, I was just hoping to get some ASAP and I know sometimes there seem to be lulls in shipments of it. I actually posted a thread on BA and someone told me of a beer store in CA that had it and may ship it to Michigan. Turns out they did, bottled two days ago, and now I've got 4 of them on my way to me.

If anyone's interested, here's their site: http://blackwellswines.com/

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sirotan posted:

Yeah I didn't expect to have any difficulty getting any, I was just hoping to get some ASAP and I know sometimes there seem to be lulls in shipments of it. I actually posted a thread on BA and someone told me of a beer store in CA that had it and may ship it to Michigan. Turns out they did, bottled two days ago, and now I've got 4 of them on my way to me.

If anyone's interested, here's their site: http://blackwellswines.com/

How much was shipping, if you don't mind me asking? They have pretty reasonable prices on the RR sours, I kinda want to get some!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

How much was shipping, if you don't mind me asking? They have pretty reasonable prices on the RR sours, I kinda want to get some!

I paid for 3rd day air which was $33, but ground would have been $20 for the four bottles.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sirotan posted:

I paid for 3rd day air which was $33, but ground would have been $20 for the four bottles.

Ah, that's not too bad actually. I might have to order a bunch of sours for my birthday in a month!

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Kudosx posted:

Those sours seem expensive to me for 375s.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Cointelprofessional posted:

Those sours seem expensive to me for 375s.

I thought that was standard pricing for those sours, but I'm not from CA so I guess I can't speak too much. I know Jolly Pumpkin sours can get pretty expensive, I've paid $10/375 for some JP.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Unless someone invents a way to make good sour beer besides "let it sit in a barrel for like 3 years" they are going to stay pricey. Unless you go totally hog wild like New Belgium--who just increased their already considerable barrel capacity by like 4x--it's just a low volume, high price business.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Kudosx posted:

I thought that was standard pricing for those sours, but I'm not from CA so I guess I can't speak too much. I know Jolly Pumpkin sours can get pretty expensive, I've paid $10/375 for some JP.

Really? I guess I have it pretty good then. My JPs are 750's that range from $10-15, from Bam Biere to Madrugada Obscura. I've been getting into sours over the past few months and I feel like I've reached a threshold. I'm reluctant to buy anything that's over $15 dollars a bottle, even though I've tried most of the offerings below that for my area.

I would be disappointed if that's what those RR sours cost because even a 750 of La Folie is only $14 or Rodenbach's are $9.

Docjowles posted:

Unless someone invents a way to make good sour beer besides "let it sit in a barrel for like 3 years" they are going to stay pricey. Unless you go totally hog wild like New Belgium--who just increased their already considerable barrel capacity by like 4x--it's just a low volume, high price business.

I'm so looking forward to that, but they won't be around for another couple of years. That's why I've started to make my own sours. That way, after upfront carboy costs, I'll be able to make 22 750s for $30 which will save me a ton of money. I already spend too much on those lip puckering libations.

Cointelprofessional fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 6, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

They look about correct for what I paid on my trip to San Francisco.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Cointelprofessional posted:

Really? I guess I have it pretty good then. My JPs are 750's that range from $10-15, from Bam Biere to Madrugada Obscura. I've been getting into sours over the past few months and I feel like I've reached a threshold. I'm reluctant to buy anything that's over $15 dollars a bottle, even though I've tried most of the offerings below that for my area.

I can get Bam Biere and a bunch of other standard JP's for $10-$15 a 750, but I've paid $10/375 for Bambic #1/#2, and I believe other rare JPs go for the same.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

I can get Bam Biere and a bunch of other standard JP's for $10-$15 a 750, but I've paid $10/375 for Bambic #1/#2, and I believe other rare JPs go for the same.

Anything from JP in a 330 (they are actually 330ml, not 375), with the exception of the new Oro de Calabazas in 330s, is a limited brewery-only release and $10 is about the price I pay and I'm local to their brewery and cafe. You're getting them at a good price.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

LeeMajors posted:

Am I going to be slapped if I think Golden Monkey is better than Allagash's Tripel? I know the Allagash is much revered, but that's two domestic tripel's I like better (New Belgium and Victory).

Not by me at least. I think Victory may have the best American made tripel in all honesty. I've drank it near 100 times but never properly out of a proper glass while evaluating it. I've drank it hundreds of times to get drunk, or out of dirty bar lines in shaker glasses, but the first time I drank it out of a tulip I realized how great of a beer it was, not just a cheap drunk night.

Flying Fish's Exit 4 comes close, but it's a different presentation and flavor profile to really compare in my opinion. It did with a GABF Gold though in 2009 if that means anything.

I just cracked open an Oak Aged Unearthly by Southern Tier, whoever said it was a sweeter Unearthly was right. Where the gently caress is the hops in this? If I drank it blind I would think it was an oak aged barleywine, and no not the west coast styles. I am not drain pouring it, but gently caress is it a horrible sweet mess.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Midorka posted:

Not by me at least. I think Victory may have the best American made tripel in all honesty. I've drank it near 100 times but never properly out of a proper glass while evaluating it. I've drank it hundreds of times to get drunk, or out of dirty bar lines in shaker glasses, but the first time I drank it out of a tulip I realized how great of a beer it was, not just a cheap drunk night.

Flying Fish's Exit 4 comes close, but it's a different presentation and flavor profile to really compare in my opinion. It did with a GABF Gold though in 2009 if that means anything.

I just cracked open an Oak Aged Unearthly by Southern Tier, whoever said it was a sweeter Unearthly was right. Where the gently caress is the hops in this? If I drank it blind I would think it was an oak aged barleywine, and no not the west coast styles. I am not drain pouring it, but gently caress is it a horrible sweet mess.

well it is oak aged and hops fade over time...

That's why I'm not the biggest fan of wood aged Ipa, kinda defeats the point of an IPA in my opinion

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Sirotan posted:

I'm at Jolly Pumpkin right now and I just have to tell someone that I'm drinking Biere de Mars on tap and it's probably the most prefect beer I've ever had. Holy poo poo. I wish I could sit here and drink this all night. Drink this beer now if you can.

We're going up on Saturday. I hope they still have some!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

That's why I'm not the biggest fan of wood aged Ipa, kinda defeats the point of an IPA in my opinion

Speaking of wood aged IPAs, what is everyone's opinion on CCB's wood aged IPAs? I've heard they're much, much better than your typical wood aged IPAs, but I don't have access to CCB so I have no experience with them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

It's not even a matter of the hops fading, I made a mistake buying this to begin with as the original version had almost no hops over the caramel taste as it was.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kudosx posted:

Speaking of wood aged IPAs, what is everyone's opinion on CCB's wood aged IPAs? I've heard they're much, much better than your typical wood aged IPAs, but I don't have access to CCB so I have no experience with them.

I've only had humidor ipa and it tastes like its name suggests. Lots of cedar flavor, it was definitely different than anything I've ever had. Not sure if I liked it or not

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Humidor IPA is awesome. I struggled to get down Oak Aged Unearthly, yet I can down growlers of Humidor IPA like it ain't no thing. White Oak Jai Alai isn't quite as good as the Humidor in my opinion, but it's still a good beer.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
That's good to hear about the Red Poppy. Much like last year, it's popping up in L.A. all over the place. At around $16 a bottle, I'm probably only going to end up with 2 or so bottles. I still have one from last year sitting around getting some age on it.

Thinking of doing a birthday trip down to S.D. this weekend and hitting up Stone, Lost Abbey, Ballast Point and Pizza Port. So I guess I can try it on tap to also compare it.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Aopeth posted:

I live out in the desert, so if I want to get good beer on tap I have to drive at least two hours. I am (choose a color) with envy, though, because that sounds amazing! I have not yet had their Madrugada Obscura, but I loved Clutch from New Belgium, so I will be certain to seek this out.

Madrugada Obscura is much better than Clutch, IMO. Definitely try some if you can you can get your hands on it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haha, don't get too excited about New Belgium heading east. The new brewery won't be online until 2015!

:corsair:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Had Sculpin on tap tonight, and while it's a decent beer, I'm a bit confused why everyone's freaking out over it. Seems like another case of Oberon to me.

Also, I'll hop on the Golden Monkey train too. I'd had it quite a few times as just a plain budget beer during my early craft beer days, but a month ago I randomly bought a six at a grocery store and tried it again. Either my palate developed substantially or they changed their formula over the past year or two. I honestly didn't remember it tasting like it does. Not one bit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Docjowles posted:

Haha, don't get too excited about New Belgium heading east. The new brewery won't be online until 2015!

:corsair:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think very many people get at all excited about anything to do with new belgium beyond a "eh, well at least it's not bud" at a mediocre restraunt/bar/sports game.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Does anyone else think Colette by Great Divide is just too mild? I love pretty much any saison you put in front of me but I just kept wishing it had something aggressive about it.

I feel bad for anyone in this world who does not have ready access to Tank 7.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Why are people here against drainpouring beer. Is it some pride thing. If it sucks, it sucks. You've already wasted the money on a bad beer whether you dump it or not. Why submit yourself to something that sucks. There's a lot of good beer out there, don't drink the ones you dislike, else you become some loathesome jaded RB/BA ticker

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I completely missed out on KBS this year but I'm still curious about the style. What are some good bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts I can find in southeastern North Carolina? I've had Dragon's Milk and it was way too sweet for me, tasted more like Bailey's than beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

internet celebrity posted:

I completely missed out on KBS this year but I'm still curious about the style. What are some good bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts I can find in southeastern North Carolina? I've had Dragon's Milk and it was way too sweet for me, tasted more like Bailey's than beer.

by you, definitely hit foothills' cafe royale if you can find it. i thought it was about as good as KBS and it's a coffee stout, so it's less sweet. if you get firestone walker by you, look for parabola when it comes out (probably get out around june). but parabola is going to be on the bigger/sweeter side.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

i'm wondering if danbanana means Williamsburg Alewerks' Cafe Royale, which is indeed very good and not too heavy on the barrel/booze side of the equation. unfortunately, you're going to be incredibly lucky to find any at this point, as it came out months ago and is their most popular and highly-rated beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i'm wondering if danbanana means Williamsburg Alewerks' Cafe Royale, which is indeed very good and not too heavy on the barrel/booze side of the equation. unfortunately, you're going to be incredibly lucky to find any at this point, as it came out months ago and is their most popular and highly-rated beer.

crap. sorry, funky's right: that's williamsburg. BUT that means i can point out foothills' barrel aged people's porter (which is good). and sexual chocolate, which i've never had but have been told is very good.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
You might find Sexual Chocolate on tap somewhere, maybe. Greensboro had a keg of it on tap last weekend. No bottles left.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My local beer bar had a release party for sexual chocolate. It was good but it wasn't the mind-blowing life changing elixer of a beer they made it out to be. If it was aged on bourbon barrel oak chips I couldn't taste it at all.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

It's not bourbon barrel aged but have you has any of the oaked yeti varieties? I'm not too sure if there is a year round available bourbon aged stout or at least one that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg or doesn't fly off the shelves the day after its stocked

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

It's not bourbon barrel aged but have you has any of the oaked yeti varieties? I'm not too sure if there is a year round available bourbon aged stout or at least one that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg or doesn't fly off the shelves the day after its stocked

Weyerbacher Heresy is inexpensive and readily available around release. Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. is on the pricier side, but seems to be fairly available as well.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Does anyone else think Colette by Great Divide is just too mild? I love pretty much any saison you put in front of me but I just kept wishing it had something aggressive about it.

I feel bad for anyone in this world who does not have ready access to Tank 7.

Saison is a pretty broad style. Colette is a really yeasty example, Tank 7 is really sweet, others can be spicy or dry. Colette is also not a "big beer". It's definitely a warm afternoon beer.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

My local beer bar had a release party for sexual chocolate. It was good but it wasn't the mind-blowing life changing elixer of a beer they made it out to be. If it was aged on bourbon barrel oak chips I couldn't taste it at all.

I was not quite as impressed by this year's batch. Managed to find some at Woody's in Raleigh back in February after every other bar around had killed theirs. It just wasn't as smooth or chocolatey to me as last year's was. Last year I was able to do a vertical of '10 and '11 Sexual Chocolate and '11 was by far the best.

Also lazerwolf is spot on with his recommendation of the various Yetis, they're all tasty. The Espresso variety is particularly great if you can find it. I haven't had Chocolate Yeti yet but I hope to one of these days.

The Saucer did a bunch of BBA stuff for their anniversary party last month, highlights being Big Boss Big Operator and Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout. Neither imperials, true, but holy god the BBA Duck-Rabbit was heavenly. They did a BBA Sweet Josie Brown too which was interesting.

sourchat: Had a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night, greatly enjoyed that. I likened it to drinking Sour Straws and someone else said it was like drinking Warheads (in a good way). Definitely a good sipping beer, which was good because I got there late and only had time for one so I made it count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Looks like a new distributor is in Maine. We now get Green Flash, Goose Island, and Six Point. I hear tell Founders and Lagunitas are on the way.

I also picked up a single Hoptimum today. Will enjoy tonight.