Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Lately woofi has been convinced that I am very near my home even though I'm nowhere near. It currently thinks I'm 5.69 meters from home, when I'm actually closer to 7km from home. It also thinks it has an accuracy of 10 meters, even though maps shows 100 meters.

What's up? Would using the latest beta do any good?
I'm on a GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I believe woofi was working well at some point in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Lately woofi has been convinced that I am very near my home even though I'm nowhere near. It currently thinks I'm 5.69 meters from home, when I'm actually closer to 7km from home. It also thinks it has an accuracy of 10 meters, even though maps shows 100 meters.

What's up? Would using the latest beta do any good?
I'm on a GSM Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I believe woofi was working well at some point in the past.

It should be working fine on the gnex. It works on mine.

By Sunday I will be releasing a new version on Play that is full of bug fixes.

If you don't want to wait there's a beta version available here: http://woofi.contriving.net/2011/08/beta-update-1-8beta3/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thermopyle posted:

It should be working fine on the gnex. It works on mine.

By Sunday I will be releasing a new version on Play that is full of bug fixes.

If you don't want to wait there's a beta version available here: http://woofi.contriving.net/2011/08/beta-update-1-8beta3/

Is there a reason the market Play thinks this won't work on a Nexus S or does it actually not?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IRQ posted:

Is there a reason the market Play thinks this won't work on a Nexus S or does it actually not?

gently caress Play. I've had scattered reports of Market/Play saying woofi didn't work on so-and-so device for no good reason ever since I released the app.

I'm at a loss as to why that is. The Play developer console tells me woofi is compatible with a Nexus S.

I recommend running the beta version. I'll post the apk when I do an official release.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Did anyone catch this ICS styled facebook mockup? It's pretty much perfect, if only facebook (and most other Android apps) followed the actual guidelines.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Plume finally updated to 3.0 today, new features include:

• Brand new user interface to be more inline with ICS.
  • TMI.me long tweet handler in addition to Twitlonger.
  • MyPict.me picture upload.
  • Resize uploaded pictures depending on the network type in use (hence the new permission).
  • Bugfixes

Here's how the new UI looks:

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.touiteur

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

sharktamer posted:

Did anyone catch this ICS styled facebook mockup? It's pretty much perfect, if only facebook (and most other Android apps) followed the actual guidelines.

There's an beta 3rd-party facebook app that looks similar to that and actually runs really nicely. But it's subject to API data restrictions like all third-party apps :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thermopyle posted:

gently caress Play. I've had scattered reports of Market/Play saying woofi didn't work on so-and-so device for no good reason ever since I released the app.

I'm at a loss as to why that is. The Play developer console tells me woofi is compatible with a Nexus S.

I recommend running the beta version. I'll post the apk when I do an official release.

Yeah I thought something might be hosed up.

I'll try it out, I've been looking for something that does this since the other app I was using stopped working when I upgraded to CM9.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Friendcaster just updated and now has the look and features.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
On the topic of woofi, it's been acting up for me too but I'm sure it's my fault somehow. It won't check my location and turn on my wifi until I open the app. Then it immediately (like less than three seconds) turns wifi on. It could be an issue with my AOSP ROM or the fact that I restored it in titanium backup because I can't see it in Play.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LoSesMC posted:

Friendcaster just updated and now has the look and features.

Oh awesome, Friendcaster finally has a non-ugly as hell UI, and it's actually really good even. Guess it's time to switch back to Friendcaster permanently.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of woofi, it's been acting up for me too but I'm sure it's my fault somehow. It won't check my location and turn on my wifi until I open the app. Then it immediately (like less than three seconds) turns wifi on. It could be an issue with my AOSP ROM or the fact that I restored it in titanium backup because I can't see it in Play.

Are you using the beta version?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, do the Instagram push notifications actually work for anyone? I think most Android users are used to notifications not working, but still...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Are you using the beta version?

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

XIII posted:

So, do the Instagram push notifications actually work for anyone? I think most Android users are used to notifications not working, but still...

They work for me. Check the settings? I didn't do anything though so I don't know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

i like tacos posted:

They work for me. Check the settings? I didn't do anything though so I don't know.

Yeah, moments after posting that I got a "like" notification. In fact, if I go into Notifications settings and click "off" on the Like section, the ticker just spins. But, I've never gotten a notification when a new person follows me, which I'd actually like.

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You
Is there such a thing as an android app that does group messaging well? I've been using Handcent and its alriiight, but not good enough so I tried GO SMS but it freezes way too much with group messaging

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Does it have to be SMS? If not the Facebook messenger app (not the main app, the stand alone one) works great and is very widely deployed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

Does it have to be SMS? If not the Facebook messenger app (not the main app, the stand alone one) works great and is very widely deployed.

This. Even though I ditched the official FB app long ago, I swear by Messenger for group chatting.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

Wait, what? Notifications are the one thing Android has always done well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

Android does notifications very well. Android app developers do not.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't know if you being sarcastic, but a ton of games notifications haven't worked for me, plus the official FB app didn't (haven't used it in a year or more though). My Google Voice notifications used to be super spotty, working whenever they wanted. Google+ Messenger (Huddle, at the time) NEVER worked. The list goes on.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I bet the only app he'd ever used before this was Facebook.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just switched over to Plume from Twitter. Seems pretty nice.

XIII posted:

Instagram runs like a piece of poo poo on my phone. Freezes phone completely, doesn't show notifications properly ...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok I checked the OP and the last two pages, what the gently caress is this play.google poo poo and how do I get whatever app I need to install apps to my recently put back to stock Evo Shift 4G? I can see my old apps on the website but when I try to push install them I'm told that I have no devices associated with the account. The help stuff seems to want me to install a play app to my phone "until my account migrates" but I can't find the app. :argh:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ok I checked the OP and the last two pages, what the gently caress is this play.google poo poo and how do I get whatever app I need to install apps to my recently put back to stock Evo Shift 4G? I can see my old apps on the website but when I try to push install them I'm told that I have no devices associated with the account. The help stuff seems to want me to install a play app to my phone "until my account migrates" but I can't find the app. :argh:

The old "Market" app is now "Google Play" because Google is retarded. Otherwise, it's exactly the same, just with a different name.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Arcsech posted:

The old "Market" app is now "Google Play" because Google is retarded. Otherwise, it's exactly the same, just with a different name.
Well gently caress then because my market app only shows ~10 apps whereas online I've obviously got pages shown (none of which I can install). I guess I'll just manually search for and install the important ones :/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

The notification system on the user end is great. So great that iOS stole the pulldown menu. We all know that.

I think he means push notifications that the apps use themselves. C2DM still seems a little janky, I've seen a few app developers complain that it'll just drop the ball and they'll have to go back and forth with google to get a fix.

Scoremobile just went through this not too long ago. Took like 3 weeks for it to be resolved.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
What's a good free internet browser for phones (HTC Thunderbolt)? I'm pretty sure the default browser is loving up large images. Firefox seems like it's for tablets unless I missed some setting. I'm on froyogingerbread[e: I'm dumb], so as far as I know I can't use Chrome.

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 6, 2012

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Jervas Dudley posted:

What's a good free internet browser for phones (HTC Thunderbolt)? I'm pretty sure the default browser is loving up large images. Firefox seems like it's for tablets unless I missed some setting. I'm on froyo, so as far as I know I can't use Chrome.

I like Opera, I use it all the time. There are a dozen different browsers out there, but most of them just use the built-in WebView that the official browser uses. Opera has it's own rendering engine (as does Firefox).

Why is your phone still on Froyo? My thunderbolt got the OTA update last October. Gingerbread is worth the update.

e: If you look at Opera, use the Mobile version, Mini is stripped down for older phones or limited data plans.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 6, 2012

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS
Sep 22, 2008

:f5h::allears::fh:
Loves You

dissss posted:

Its better if its SMS. all my buddies have iPhones and we group message a lot through SMS

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS posted:

Its better if its SMS. all my buddies have iPhones and we group message a lot through SMS

You can group message with all your iPhone having buddies with FB Messenger....

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
A japanese friend of mine had this cool Katamari game on his android phone, which I wanted, but couldn't download off the android market due to region lock. He ripped an .apk of it for me but when I attempt to install it, it gives me an "application not installed" error. What could cause this? Can .apk files be regionlocked too?

HTC Desire S, stock 2.3.3

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Popehoist posted:

A japanese friend of mine had this cool Katamari game on his android phone, which I wanted, but couldn't download off the android market due to region lock. He ripped an .apk of it for me but when I attempt to install it, it gives me an "application not installed" error. What could cause this? Can .apk files be regionlocked too?

HTC Desire S, stock 2.3.3

Might not have ripped it properly, or it has dependencies on another application.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Jervas Dudley posted:

What's a good free internet browser for phones (HTC Thunderbolt)? I'm pretty sure the default browser is loving up large images. Firefox seems like it's for tablets unless I missed some setting. I'm on froyo, so as far as I know I can't use Chrome.

I like Boat Browser. Seems like the fastest of what's out there at the moment, at least on my 2.3-running devices.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What do you guys recommend for web-based note taking apps that sync with Android?

Bonus if it has a Chrome extension. I'm currently using Evernote, but it's...too much for what I need, if that makes sense. Plus the Evernote Chrome extension doesn't really like to work for me.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

BoyBlunder posted:

What do you guys recommend for web-based note taking apps that sync with Android?

Bonus if it has a Chrome extension. I'm currently using Evernote, but it's...too much for what I need, if that makes sense. Plus the Evernote Chrome extension doesn't really like to work for me.

I've used the Catch app (https://catch.com/) before but not its Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pondcljgicihhdfcnlflkikegfbnalmp

It might suit your needs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

You can group message with all your iPhone having buddies with FB Messenger....

Then he would have to force all of his friends to use a new app. Something that's easier said than done.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

I like Springpad. Comes with Chrome extension, but I don't know how different it is from Evernote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So I finally got my wife using Google Voice as her voicemail provider on her Atrix. She likes it except for one thing...she hates it.

She gets a lot of voicemails. Probably averages 15 or 20 voicemails a day. The features of Google Voice are nice for managing all those voicemails. The big problem is that she keeps discovering voicemails on the GVoice website that don't show up in the app on her phone, and vice versa. This is pretty lovely and unacceptable.

Anyone else run into this sort of problem?

• Locked thread