Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've never seen it being mandatory, though.

I'm getting that from the COPA website so for all I know it could be different and/or not enforced on at the actual event:
"1. No-Gi competitors must wear T-shirts, shorts, (fight shorts or board shorts) cup, and mouthpiece. Gi must be worn in Gi competition."
http://www.cagc.us/rules/rules.html

I want to say it was like the for the last NAGA tournament around here also but I could be wrong as I was only spectating and not really trying to check out guys crotches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

de la Riva is doing a seminar in my area soon (I want to say next month). As a brand new white belt (I've been doing this for 3 months now) would I be getting my money's worth by attending?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Boxers! Are your noses bruised, broken and hosed up? Do they resemble potatoes or smashed potatoes?

I just got home from today's boxing sparring sessions and took a look at the mirror. My nose is red and swollen. I took some good solid straight hits on my nose. The sparring was light as usual, but the hits were right on target. Besides I already have a big nose so it's kind of hard to miss.

One of the reasons I hesitated before starting boxing was the fear that I might get my nose broken during the training. Long time ago I broke my nose and I had to take surgery to fix it. It was such a heavy process I wouldn't like to do it again.

So, have you had your noses ruined in boxing or are you still good looking?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been sparring about half a year and I haven't had my nose hosed up.

It was sore and felt kinda dislocated the first few times, then I think my baseline changed because I haven't felt that again. I got a slight nosebleed one time when a guy was sparring too hard.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Move your loving head.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

MalleusDei posted:

de la Riva is doing a seminar in my area soon (I want to say next month). As a brand new white belt (I've been doing this for 3 months now) would I be getting my money's worth by attending?

Not really because its probably really expensive, but it will still be cool and you might learn some tricks. If you think you will actually stick with BJJ and the money isnt much more than you usually spend on entertainment it would be worth it for fun

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I still haven't been hit in the nose. Usually just the jaw.

Imagine Randy's face is my dick. That happened the other night. Always wear a box.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Not really because its probably really expensive, but it will still be cool and you might learn some tricks. If you think you will actually stick with BJJ and the money isnt much more than you usually spend on entertainment it would be worth it for fun

I'd be getting a slight discount since its my gym that's hosting (not the location that I regularly go to though). Maybe I'll run it by the instructor and see what he thinks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you can afford it just go, half the fun is meeting these big name guys, and maybe having them sweep you.

You won't get everything but you'll probably pick up at least one good thing, and the rest well burrow in your brain only to emerge years later.

Bring a notebook and a snack if it's over an hour.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Would Bruce Lee do sport judo or traditional judo and could Fedor beat him in a fight?

You're an awful person.

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/iJPwG.jpg:nms:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

MalleusDei posted:

I don't think you would be.

If you want to get some stuff out of it, see if anyone at your school is going and ask them for notes?

Or email them and say you were injured and ask if you just come and watch. (Sometimes its important to get mat time, other times its important to have very clear and concise notes.)

Personally I think big seminars (lots of people in attendence) involved with big name people are a waste of time.

I think people have a tendency to be looking for the latest/greatest move of the month and some teachers will cater to this, instead of working on their baseline skills and strategies.

Maybe I am just being cynical.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You're an awful person.

I've seen worse

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

If you can afford it just go, half the fun is meeting these big name guys, and maybe having them sweep you.

You won't get everything but you'll probably pick up at least one good thing, and the rest well burrow in your brain only to emerge years later.

Bring a notebook and a snack if it's over an hour.

This.

This way I have met and trained with, Bas Rutten, Hector Pene, Rickson Gracie*, Fedor, Mousashi (although these last two decided to train with us. O.o) Dan Severn, Jorge Gurgel (Who is my buddy/Ive stayed at his place), Rich Franklin (went to his house to chill too) -and those are just big names. Usually after the seminar a group goes to like dinner/lunch and thats the most interesting part as you hear their stories etcetera and see them act like clowns/asses/hit on waitresses etc. Thats pretty fun.

You'll usually learn a few moves, some of which you can use. And most of these guys (and de la riva certainly) are really good teachers, they will pay attention and help you out in small ways that have a significant impact. Maybe not now, maybe a year down the road when you understand everything better, you'll suddenly remember, holy poo poo, De la Riva told me exactly that last year, why haven't I been putting my knee/hand/elbow there instead of where I always get subbed/swept? You will remember.

*Rickson Gracie had the best seminar and all we went over was shrimping/ebee, upa/bridge and other very basic poo poo. It was amazing and it overflowed my mind even after grappling for 3-4 years at that point. Still realize things to this day where I go like: ooh Rickson did say that, didn't he? why didn't I immediately just act on that?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You're an awful person.

Thought I'd at lest get some pus or something for the Fedor reference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

k-spar posted:

Does (or has) anyone here trained with the YMAA? I did a white crane seminar at their Boston location and was very impressed. Very nice, good people. A friend of mine just had the opportunity to go and train with Dr. Yang at the retreat center in CA for a full month, and had an amazing experience. Apparently they're gonna have a segment on ESPN's E60 about the retreat center which should be coming on in September. I'm really jealous, wish I had the time and the living situation to devote to something like that.

Yang's knowledge of CMA is pretty deep and well respected. I would say his understanding of true combat applications thereof is academic, though. I have his book on shuaijiao, and while he clearly knows the techniques, I dunno how much the man really knows how to fight. So I guess the question is what you're looking to get out of it.

Pyle posted:

I just got home from today's boxing sparring sessions and took a look at the mirror. My nose is red and swollen. I took some good solid straight hits on my nose. The sparring was light as usual, but the hits were right on target. Besides I already have a big nose so it's kind of hard to miss.

One of the reasons I hesitated before starting boxing was the fear that I might get my nose broken during the training. Long time ago I broke my nose and I had to take surgery to fix it. It was such a heavy process I wouldn't like to do it again.

So, have you had your noses ruined in boxing or are you still good looking?

Even before I switched headgears, I didn't get caught that frequently with flush punches on the nose. That happens when you move in with your head up and hands down. If you keep your guard tight, it should be to your forehead. Not to say I haven't gotten caught hard enough to get that funny taste in your mouth or a swollen red nose, but never hard enough in sparring to even be worried about a broken nose. If it's a concern with you, let your coach know and make sure he adjusts your tactics to protect your nose better.

After I switched headgears, nose contact has been decreased significantly. The FG-5000:
http://winning-usa.com/headgear.html

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Thought I'd at lest get some pus or something for the Fedor reference.

I took it immediately after a shower to minimize the pus. :colbert:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I took it immediately after a shower to minimize the pus. :colbert:

You're not a real man, a real man is proud of his pus

(please don't post a picture of your toe with pus, it's already gross enough... How much does that thing hurt in your shoe?)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It doesn't hurt at all, normally. But if I tried to jog or run it would hurt like hell, and if I bump the front of my shoe on something it hurts like hell for about five seconds.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Antinumeric posted:

Can we add self-defence to that list?

No those are the best discussions with Judo versions and which knuckle.

Yeah let's add that too.

quote:

Having tried out boxing on the weekend I have to say it's possibly the most mobile martial art. Whoever it was who said you can't get low enough was absolutely correct.

That was me, a couple of times even. I sort of "knew it" but only really figured it out during last year, hence I tend to repeat as it was such a shocking revelation to me!

But what do you mean most mobile? Compared to MT, sure, often times. Or traditional martial arts, usually, at least when it comes to sparring. But it has nothing on, say, Savate Boxe Française :insert some smug emoticon here:

Pyle posted:

Boxers! Are your noses bruised, broken and hosed up? Do they resemble potatoes or smashed potatoes?

No, and I've been boxing on and off for the last 5+ years. That said, my sparring partners either used to take it easy on me and these days we just spar pretty light. I haven't had a nosebleed in a year and the "worst" I've had the past year or so is walking with a blackened left eye half the time and a few cuts. I haven't even blacked out "on my feet" for a long while now that I think of it, though maybe that's mostly because I keep my jaw tucked and my left hand up 150% better these days than I used to...

You do rub your nose vigorously before sparring, right? Softens up the cartilage and gets the blood running in the right places, you'll avoid nose bleeds and dislocations, believe me, it isn't just a myth.

edit:

Here's a seven minute clip of Savate fights and how they were fought a few decades ago by the best kickers. It's really not old school Savate per se, the modern leg-hand full contact combinations are pretty similar but otherwise the sport has evolved to resemble the more practical, current kickboxing styles. Less Batroc ze Leapaire and more conventional striking today. Also click the sound off, I can't figure out why people want to ruin good videos with that crap oh so often.

Anyway fun clip, kinda like TKD fighters without the padding who also utilize traditional boxing and leg kicks to full effect with a kickboxing/boxing ruleset.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 6, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Mr Interweb posted:

So...have you guys heard of Kung Fu San Soo? I went to this dojo today, and the owner said it's a martial art that was adopted by the U.S. military up until 1992.

No, the US Army, nor practically every army in the western world has ever used any Kung Fu in its martial arts because they don't actually work. Also, you said you wanted to do Wing Chun, which it too, doesn't actually work. Theres been some good advice earlier so definitely take that.

But, to be fair if you wanna LARP Bruce Lee movies then by all means take Kung Fu, but if you want to learn how to fight or defend yourself, or compete, then look elsewhere

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ligur posted:

Here's a seven minute clip of Savate fights and how they were fought a few decades ago by the best kickers. It's really not old school Savate per se, the modern leg-hand full contact combinations are pretty similar but otherwise the sport has evolved to resemble the more practical, current kickboxing styles. Less Batroc ze Leapaire and more conventional striking today. Also click the sound off, I can't figure out why people want to ruin good videos with that crap oh so often.

Anyway fun clip, kinda like TKD fighters without the padding who also utilize traditional boxing and leg kicks to full effect with a kickboxing/boxing ruleset.

Really cool vid. Also, I have to ask, what were those leg-sweepy-looking things? The cat in the dark leotard kept using this move beautifully as a sort of counter-kick (if I'm getting the terms right), but it wasn't a sweep that I imagine (course, I don't know what a leg sweep really looks like). It looked like he was hooking his opponent's back foot with his and just pulling to topple his opponent. I also like how it all comes from Black Leotard using they off balanced kicks against them and how Mr Red Pants (near the end of the "historical section") is able to defend against this move, but still has some difficulty staying planted.

And not to be smug with the whole mobility thing, but I fence and crossing the feet while moving forward has been banned my weapon because it was going too fast.

Oh, and to the guy still looking for a MA, have you considering [Olympic/sport] fencing? It is much closer to a sport than the other MA's (hell, you fence to 15 points and take a break each time something important happens), but it is loads of fun. Also, you get to wear heavy cotton jackets and knickers, even in a stuffy gym!

And now the fencer will go back to lurking again...

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 6, 2012

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

swagger like us posted:

No, the US Army, nor practically every army in the western world has ever used any Kung Fu in its martial arts because they don't actually work. Also, you said you wanted to do Wing Chun, which it too, doesn't actually work. Theres been some good advice earlier so definitely take that.

But, to be fair if you wanna LARP Bruce Lee movies then by all means take Kung Fu, but if you want to learn how to fight or defend yourself, or compete, then look elsewhere

I can understand ragging on the San Soo stuff, but what's wrong with wing chun?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

BirdOfPlay posted:

Really cool vid. Also, I have to ask, what were those leg-sweepy-looking things?

Either "Coup de pied bas" (strike... low with... foot) - or just chasse (piston kick) or fouette (whip-kick) to the supporting leg of your opponent. You can see all of these in the link I posted. One of the things you try to learn over and over in Boxe Française is striking the supporting leg of someone who attacks you as a counter. It's hard as hell but satisfying if you ever succeed, MT/KB practitioners agree I assume.

The "sweeps" you saw where you don't lift the knee but just sweep+fling with the side of your shoe and attempt to knock over your opponent over are the "coup de pied bas" counters against kicks (you can do those from any range, say, slip a hook and then kick the supporting leg) and the rest are just regular Savate BF kicks targeted at the supporting leg of the opponent.

IMO all striking arts have this component but it's just more pronounced in BF. The "coup de pied bas" semi-sweep is quite difficult to perform as you need a terrific eye and timing and it isn't, in fact, a traditional sweep at all (as in you are NOT allowed to "hook" your leg and pull opponents limb) but must exquisitely time the low sweeping "direct" kick so as to take out the supporting leg - or shoe - thus sweeping him without dragging his leg. loving gay, and you must also wear a unitard. (But I love it nevertheless.)

Another application is to deliver the sweep-looking-kick from up close and strike the lower shin or foot of your opponent with the side or sole of your own shoe - 90% of people who don't regularly kick concrete or do MT drop their hands for a fraction and look down when that happens. I don't know why because they also 90% of the time know what follows, but that's just how people work. This leaves them open for an uppercut - or three.

You don't even directly get points out of sweeping someone with a kick of your own, but constantly falling down tires and demoralizes the gently caress out of your opponent and, honestly, looks good as hell and might affect the scoring judges anyway if you can't get a TKO or a KO.

quote:

Oh, and to the guy still looking for a MA, have you considering [Olympic/sport] fencing? It is much closer to a sport than the other MA's (hell, you fence to 15 points and take a break each time something important happens), but it is loads of fun..

I'd advocate fencing in a second, from my POV (I don't know how well this holds) accomplished or even decent fencers are good at reacting to attacks, hence countering and most importantly distancing. I've fist-kick-sparred with fencers and they are a bit confused with a lot of things when you can absorb strikes and your stance is oriented for punches and kicks, balance for combinations and stuff like that, but as a supporting MA for something else - awesome.

Anything where you move and react is always really fun and good for you, so there's that :)

edit:

Mr Interweb posted:

It's very ineffective against anything else but Wing Chun. Or perhaps some other TMA. Otherwise it's cool, the moves look and are neat and I'd love to try it, it's just often marketed as some kind an of ultimate martial art/self defense system against everything - yet it's anything but that. From my POV maybe the marketing as some kind of end-it-all-system or even a decent fighting style is what put me off.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 6, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLRX1P0bEg

Wing Chun is a style of fighting based entirely on untested theory with no practical application. It takes place at a range of combat that doesn't exist: closer than striking range but further away than clinching range. Against anybody with any kind of fighting training, be it two weeks of boxing, you'll find that your enemy is either too far away for you to hit, or too close for you to hit at all times. It has no defence against any kind of rotational attack, like the basic hook from western boxing. Completely unstoppable to a WC practitioner. It also contains no wrestling for when an enemy gets too close and no ground fighting for if you get tackled. You'll find a lot of people on the internet trying to convince you that WC is great, but it's just the sunk cost fallacy.

There's this one trainwreck of a person fighting in d-league MMA, Sean Obasi, who calls himself a "wing chun/bjj practitioner". Watch a few of his fights on youtube and you'll see what I mean: He gets in his pose, he tries and fails to get a single punch off, then he's wrestling or using BJJ all match long. They stand up, he tries to use a wing chun strike for a tenth of a second, then the chance is gone, and he has to use his wrestling and BJJ training for the rest of the match. In the end the round will be two, maybe three seconds of his wing chun, and four minutes and fifty seven seconds of his BJJ.

Also, when he failed some filmed tryouts, either Bellator or Strikeforce, I forget which, he got into a screaming hissyfit with the officials and claimed that they were foolish children and he had lived a thousand lives.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
For Mr Interweb and maybe anyone else who is thinking about what martial art is the derrr durrr (not sure if he's just trolling us at this point?) think this over:

Do this in no particular order:

Muay Thai, (often Dutch) Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. And I don't really want to tell anyone what sport to do so I'll leave it at that.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 6, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Here's the video of Sean Obasi trying out at M1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_3F6Zwbp9E

I'm pretty impressed how professionnal and calm that Ari fellow was with this guy going crazy about Wing Chun.

My two cents. The problem I find is Wing Chunners all over the internet is sort of like, an ideological stance as opposed to an attempt at methodology. BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA etc. adopts an open critical stance by continually testing martial arts. Is there some bias to the original "creator" martial arts in it? Sure, it took awhile for Wrestling to really jump into play because the Gracie family was looking to make sure that BJJ became the next big thing so they didn't want to showcase it against grappling. Eventually though, wrestlers became dominant, and arguably they are more dominant than ever today in UFC.

Wing Chun is just martial arts confirmation bias and for guys who really watched a lot of movie martial arts. It looks cool I'll admit, and Bruce Lee and other movies really drove that home. The reality is though, the guys who train Wing Chun are more looking to roleplay martial arts then to actually learn to fight because look. Because the nature of fighting in general is uncomfortable (For most people, being punched in the face even with a glove, or grappled on is initially uncomfortable). But people still want to learn to fight. So they seek out a route that doesn't put them in an uncomfortable spot, reinforces their comfort levels and pads them with confidence.

I know most people take the stance of let bygones be bygones but I have my serious concerns about the health impacts that happen from older ladies or guys who want to actually learn to defend themselves, have a false sense of confidence because of their wing chun black belt or red sash or whatever, and get absolutely destroyed or injured because they thought it would realistically work if they got into a fight or were assaulted. Sure, most people would run away, but it seems to me every Kung Fu/Mystical martial arts/traditional whatever kind of guy, are more likely to stay and let a situation escalate than to run away, because they are brainwashed into thinking it works. I dont have all the answers, Im not that big of an authority figure (Up until my injury I did MMA/Muay Thai and gi BJJ for about a year, and when I was a teen I did Karate for 6 years) but this is what its seemed to me to be the case. I was always greatful as a teen my Karate Sensei would always go on and on about never striking first, running away and never getting yourself into a situation where you had to use your training. He would always read some sort of piece of wisdom like that, and he was also personally (because of his education in social work) a great counsellor, and for a 12 year old with too much energy, Karate was awesome. Do I wish I did Judo or BJJ right away? Sure, but I mean, I had no way of knowing what is the "better' martial art, I was 12 years old. Karate is whats in the movies right, so its gotta be awesome.

I support traditional martial arts as a sort of Tai Chi, where you're doing it for fitness, spirituality (if thats your thing), flexibility and a little fun. But I wish they would stop falsely labelling the defense aspect because its just going to get people hurt.

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 6, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Wing Chun is a style of fighting based entirely on untested theory with no practical application. It takes place at a range of combat that doesn't exist: closer than striking range but further away than clinching range. Against anybody with any kind of fighting training, be it two weeks of boxing, you'll find that your enemy is either too far away for you to hit, or too close for you to hit at all times.
There are a few ideas that WC has that can be integrated into a total fighting system. Someone looking to plum clinch a WC practioner might get surprised by an unorthodox elbow. But it isn't magic -- you can fight through stuff and adjust -- WC isn't going to make you suddenly invincible at that range. But it is true that WC dwells way too heavily on a very narrow domain of fighting and brainwashes people into thinking that training outside of that domain is pointless.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

One thing I was just thinking about, watching some taekwondo school's video, is that when I was a Karate green belt teaching kids a reverse punch from horse stance, one thing I always corrected them on was keeping their shoulders square so to stay balanced instead of rotating over. The funny thing is, these kids probably just by trying to punch had a more powerful/useful punch (as useful as a reverse punch from horse stance can be...) then mine as the "instructor" and as theirs as just mimicking or thinking how a punch should happen.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So anymore suggestions for a cup before I buy the shock doctor compression shorts with cup?

Do compression shorts really matter with Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu? I just wear compression type briefs (like under armor undies) but they're not that tight.

Also good short shorts for training Muay Thai? I'd rather not spend $60 nor do I want some with flames and a dragon or some poo poo.

These are a bit flashy for my taste but cheap.

or some of these but then I have to pay the extra shipping and wait longer

Also, I was the one that got the fairtex 16oz thai training gloves

They seem nice so far. Wish the strap around the wrist was a bit tighter but I guess that's what handwraps are for?

and king shin guards.

They are a lot more bulky than the loaner ones I was using but man I can't feel poo poo when I wear them. No more pulling back last second because my subconscious is expecting pain. A bit stiff but should be better once I wear them in a bit. I went with medium and they almost seem too big. Definitely glad I didn't get large.

If you're looking for a proper ankle support I definitely recommend this shock doctor one.

I love the adjustable factor and you can get it real tight. It slims down quite a bit once you wrap it up. It's the closet you can get to actually taping it imo.

I haven't used the fairtex hand wraps yet. (need to watch youtube videos on how to do it, heh)

I can post pictures of any of the above if you guys want or whatever. Or if you have any particular questions.

I'm loving the poo poo out of Muay Thai. Jiu jitsu is still frustrating as gently caress but I feel accomplished at the end of the class even if blue belts are tapping me every couple minutes.

I caught my pinky toe on a knee and sprained it pretty good. Any of you guys buddy taping your pinky toe? I'm thinking I will.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 6, 2012

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I think I've seen this discussed in this thread, but what are some good resources on kettlebell training? I thought I've seen the book Enter The Kettlebell get mentioned, so I went ahead and got that. Looks like its totally for beginners, which is fine since I've never really messed around with them. Any other things I might want to check out now? Other books, youtube videos/channels, etc.?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
The best martial art is one you enjoy. Unless you need self-defense training, or you really want to compete, you should do whatever you want. Just dont think you're badass because you know Aikido or whatever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Huh, didn't realize that was the case for wing chun. I assumed it was practical cause that's how most street fighters in China go at it. Guess that's what I get for watching Fight Quest.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I assumed it was practical cause that's how most street fighters in China go at it. Guess that's what I get for watching Fight Quest.

Not going to stand up for Fight Quest's accuracy, but did they really say that?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Not going to stand up for Fight Quest's accuracy, but did they really say that?

Actually, I don't think they said all of China, but for Hong Kong, yeah essentially.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

So I'm doing my first pure striking competition in less than a month. Its a novice amateur boxing event with three-two minute rounds. Over the past 4 years or so I've done quite a bit of kickboxing and boxing for mma, but never traditional boxing. My biggest problem I'm getting when I'm sparring is being able to land right hands and avoiding overreaching with my punches. It seems whenever I try a 1-2 I am way off with my 2 and I end up reaching to try to catch them with it. Any tips?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Illumination posted:

I think I've seen this discussed in this thread, but what are some good resources on kettlebell training? I thought I've seen the book Enter The Kettlebell get mentioned, so I went ahead and got that. Looks like its totally for beginners, which is fine since I've never really messed around with them. Any other things I might want to check out now? Other books, youtube videos/channels, etc.?

My roomie does kettlebell stuff, and he swears by an app called "kettlebell workout wizard" for the iphone, if you have one of those intelligent telephones or whatever

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

So I'm doing my first pure striking competition in less than a month. Its a novice amateur boxing event with three-two minute rounds. Over the past 4 years or so I've done quite a bit of kickboxing and boxing for mma, but never traditional boxing. My biggest problem I'm getting when I'm sparring is being able to land right hands and avoiding overreaching with my punches. It seems whenever I try a 1-2 I am way off with my 2 and I end up reaching to try to catch them with it. Any tips?

Pay attention to how they respond to your jab. If they're out of reach when you throw the right, I assume they are stepping back when you jab. So you can throw your jab knowing they're going to step back, then immediately step in deep and throw the 1-2. If they keep backing up at that point, you're going to run them into the ropes.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

My roomie does kettlebell stuff, and he swears by an app called "kettlebell workout wizard" for the iphone, if you have one of those intelligent telephones or whatever

This looks pretty cool. I will be keeping this in mind.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Possibly more of a Watch/Weight question, but what sort of weight should an unfit but otherwise healthy and normal 6' tall person be looking at to start kettlebell training with?

Edit: Also is there some sort of awesome BJJ-focused kettlebell curriculum worth looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Given those parameters my understanding is that a 12kg kettlebell should be alright. It seems to be what most (male) beginners are recommended to go with, anyway.

E; An article I found online says 12 kg for a normal healthy male, and 16kg for someone that already works out

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 7, 2012

• Locked thread