Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Raw_Beef posted:

I do not articulate well sometimes.

I stared at most of the post with increasing incredulity, but this made me giggle.

Tell me more about how America are the good guys. I'd love to hear your take on Iraq. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raw_Beef posted:

Would it be innacurate to say that the french have something of a chip on their shoulder about their loss of status? That is more what i was thinking.
I do not articulate well sometimes.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment of a lot of their actions in the cold war. Post-war french politics gets pretty deep into trying to latch onto a victorious legacy for WW2 (rather than the rather obvious legacy of defeat left around by 1940) while trying to maintain that they are still a serious power to contend with.

I'm sorry if I came off sounding condescending, that's pretty much just the general tone that this board takes.

I do think that you should toss any real idea of "good guys" and "bad guys" in international foreign policy, though. There are very, VERY few instances in history where that judgement doesn't rest purely on your individual background and point of view, and almost all of those involve something completely out there, like genocide.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Dont get me wrong! My country has made some horrible mistakes.
It must be easy to pigeonhole someone who says they support the USA and its military as one who lacks critical thinking and votes lock step party line.
Sorry, even I'm not that stupid.

Iraq was %100 optional and needless. I didnt support it then and i dont support it now. Since youre asking, i also think we shouldve drawn down from Afghanistan years ago, but im just a dumb poo poo on an internet forum, surrounded by geniouses such as McNally who are surely active in solving all the world's problems and preventing horrible things from happening to innocent people.

Cyrano is right, i shouldve remembered what forum i was in before using such casual terms in reguards to "rightiousness" of national foriegn policy.

i come here to shoot the poo poo on a casual level, so i'll always be outsmartied by those who invest much more time than i do into researching the topics at hand.
On that note, i greatly enjoy reading posts by said educated people, cyrano and grover and Iyayayayas001. etc.
Theclaw, not so much there buddy.

i'm going to gracefully bow out and let the thread continue about technical data on modern missile systems, since we've all exhausted the cool soviet-era stuff, and im obviously politically at odds with everyone else here.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 5, 2012

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

wkarma posted:

We've been playing with A2G sidewinders for quite a long time. Here's a pic from 1971 of an 9L test at China Lake

There's also the Sidearm antiradiation missile that swapped the seeker but otherwise was a standard sidewinder.

9x is an annuar blast frag warhead which is basically an 8pounds of plastique wrapped in shrapnel pipe bomb, so it can be effective against soft ground targets.
Yeah but 8 lbs is nearly below the threshold of what you need to be effective against ground targets. For reference the Harvest Hawks would often have to shoot 2 or more griffin missiles, which sport a 12 lb warhead to get the effects needed for close air support. There were reports saying that in 2011 Harvest Hawks were launching hellfires to griffins nearly 5 to 1 in part because of the question of effectiveness. Now take in mind that the harvest Hawk holds 4 hellfires and 10 griffin missiles.

Now the operators don't give a poo poo about this but the griffins cost nearly twice as much as a hellfire. Now this has more to do with the fact that griffins have never and will likely never reach the kind of full rate production rates that hellfire experiences in its current configuration.

Now look at a sidewinder that cost 5 times as much as a hellfire with no real advantage in range, effectiveness, or sensing capability.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Raw_Beef posted:

surrounded by geniouses such as McNally who are surely active in solving all the world's problems and preventing horrible things from happening to innocent people.

gently caress no, I joined the Army so I could make the world's problems worse.

Mission accomplished.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I do think that you should toss any real idea of "good guys" and "bad guys" in international foreign policy, though. There are very, VERY few instances in history where that judgement doesn't rest purely on your individual background and point of view, and almost all of those involve something completely out there, like genocide.

To expand on this, international politics is much like tic-tac-toe in that the only winning move, morally speaking, is not to play. The only nations one could consider "good" are those that have never done anything ever due to being too small/weak/poor.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

daskrolator posted:

Now look at a sidewinder that cost 5 times as much as a hellfire

Hmm... No I don't think so, unless 9-Xs cost half a million a piece....

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Hmm... No I don't think so, unless 9-Xs cost half a million a piece....

Well, procurement for FY2013 is supposed to be 314 of them for 178.21 million bucks, so...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Go back and dust off the prototype sketches for the F6D Missileer, reactivate the AIM-54, and make it A2G capable. The best option. :c00l:

(seriously, right tool for the right job. Sidewinder's job is not plinking jeeps.)

e: for Flanker, reactivate BOMARC too, use it as surface-to-surface. :getin:

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
I understand why people feel that way towards those assholes.

Imagine a country that's all 'rah rah Freedom and Revolution! rah rah' but clamps down on anyone else trying self govern. Also not a fan of how they whine to their allies for not getting in line with them, and then acting unilaterally the next instant anyway. Also they don't win favours by shoving their language and culture in everyone's faces either. They're also racist as gently caress and rude to tourists.

But enough about America, what's this about France?

Psion posted:

e: for Flanker, reactivate BOMARC too, use it as surface-to-surface. :getin:

I hate you.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hey now. We're not that rude to tourists. The knock on the United States I've heard from European tourists is that we all seem insincerely friendly.

agadhahab
Feb 4, 2009

Psion posted:

reactivate the AIM-54, and make it A2G capable. The best option. :c00l:

(seriously, right tool for the right job. Sidewinder's job is not plinking jeeps.)

Wouldn't this be a Maverick?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

agadhahab posted:

Wouldn't this be a Maverick?

a Maverick is significantly smaller than a Phoenix

Phoenix
Weight - 1,000–1,040 lb
Length - 13 ft
Diameter - 15 in

Maverick
Weight - 462–670 lb
Length - 8 feet 2 inches
Diameter - 12 in

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
gently caress it, let's just let Avengers and Stinger teams go to down on trucks/cars/APCs with stingers.

Also, while on the subject of repurposed aircraft/weapons, these things are cool, but really only for COIN:

Hellfires on a KC-130J

It also can poop out 10 Griffins.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Flanker posted:

I hate you.

You have to admit it'd be a better option than the F-35!

e: then again so would resurrecting the Avro Arrow, and that'd be badass.

you know, that's not such a bad plan...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The wiki on the Griffin describes it as a "low-cost modular system, using components from earlier projects," so why would it cost twice as much as a Hellfire?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

The wiki on the Griffin describes it as a "low-cost modular system, using components from earlier projects," so why would it cost twice as much as a Hellfire?

Where'd you find the unit cost for the griffin?

Flagtag
Jul 28, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSVHxT-ziM&list=FLfnLRj6FukokbkKZsYoqr7Q&index=19&feature=plpp_video

Viggens spar for IKEA dominance.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mlmp08 posted:

Forums poster daskrolator a couple posts up.

Although I guess it might just be a matter of spreading the development cost over a longer production run.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

mlmp08 posted:

Griffins run roughly $100k per missile, if we divide the most recent $9.3M contract by 70 missiles & 20 test missiles. Per wiki, Hellfires run about $68k. Hellfires are cheaper, but not by 5:1, more like 3:2. Prices may come down further once as the system matures, hard to say.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

Griffins run roughly $100k per missile, if we divide the most recent $9.3M contract by 70 missiles & 20 test missiles. Per wiki, Hellfires run about $68k. Hellfires are cheaper, but not by 5:1, more like 3:2. Prices may come down further once as the system matures, hard to say.

I was under the impression that the contract included some ground launch systems for the Griffin B's instead of just the missiles, but I could be wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Forums Terrorist posted:

The only nations one could consider "good" are those that have never done anything ever due to being too small/weak/poor.
Don't forget those nations that even though they've always been small/weak/poor have managed to tear themselves to pieces internally - sub-Saharan Africa, Cambodia etc. gently caress, I was in Cambodia in January, and with the damage done thirty-plus years ago by the Democratic Khmer regime, they would have to work extremely hard with double-digit economic growth for the next fifteen years before I would call them poor.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Forums Terrorist posted:

To expand on this, international politics is much like tic-tac-toe in that the only winning move, morally speaking, is not to play. The only nations one could consider "good" are those that have never done anything ever due to being too small/weak/poor.

Pretty much. Hell, even the countries that are commonly considered largely "good" like the Scandinavian countries have some skeletons in their closet because they are well developed enough to have a high enough GDP and well enough developed manufacturing base that they have sold weapons abroad/had foreign policy entanglements/etc. The countries that are too small/weak/poor usually have better than even odds that at some point in their recent history they suffered some sort of bloody civil war or ethnic cleansing. So really the only countries that could be considered good are the ones that are well developed enough that the ruling party doesn't decide to wipe out the opposition every 5 years but not well developed enough to actually do any major trade or anything with anyone...which is a pretty small group, if it even exists.

mlmp08 posted:

Also, while on the subject of repurposed aircraft/weapons, these things are cool, but really only for COIN:

Hellfires on a KC-130J

There are issues with it (namely the bit Daskrolator brought up about the possible ineffectiveness of the Griffin depending on the target) but those pale in comparison to fact that the need was identified, the requirements drawn up, and a working system fielded in pretty short order. Contrast that with the disaster that is the USAF's LAAR program.

grover posted:

Yeah, Hellfires are cheaper because it's a mature system that has been produced in massive numbers for a couple decades...the Griffins should in theory be cheaper (although like daskrolator I doubt they will ever surpass the Hellfire, just due to the scales involved), being modular and smaller, and the price should come down once the system matures. In theory. In theory, concurrency and commonality should have made the JSF one of the cheapest fighters in the world, so...:v:.

The whole discussion over using air to air missiles in an air to ground role is stupid because an annular blast-frag/continuous rod warhead is specifically designed with one purpose in mind: effectively cause fatal damage to (relatively fragile) aircraft while intercepting them at high speed...this means that the warhead maximizes even and continuous blast/frag dispersion around the warhead at the expense of penetration or a larger amount of blast and frag. JDRADM/NGM was indeed supposed to have an air to ground capability, but the way I understood it the missile was supposed to replace the HARM as well as the AMRAAM, and coincidentally enough the one other use for continuous rod warheads is targeting radar sites. Yes, an air to air missile's warhead isn't going to be completely ineffective against an unarmored ground target, but there isn't really any good reason for using it when there are so many other purpose designed air to mud alternatives that will almost certainly be available...especially when you consider that one of the targets that a continuous rod warhead would actually be effective against (radar sites) aren't exactly the sort of thing that you want to be shooting at from Sidewinder range.

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

grover posted:

If you're referring to my comment about 5:1, that was in reference the a sidewinder vs a hellfire, not a hellfire vs a griffin.

I doubt the price will come down that much because they're simply not buying that much volume to reap any decent economies of scale. If they don't buy a ton in these operating conditions that demand low collateral damage effects then they're surely not going to when OEF ends. It'll end up like JAASM or Excalibur where there was an expectation to produce a lot of them only to never get there.

mlmp08 posted:

I'm guessing it based on the handful of contract awards they've had over the years and $100k makes sense intuitively. Most of the cost is in the seeker and guidance and its because doing a dual mode seeker (gps/ins and laser) in a package that small is expensive, especially at low volume. There's a few other Air to ground missiles out there that are a little larger (but smaller than a hellfire) and a little cheaper, but it boils down to what platform you want to put on it. Griffins are attractice not because of harvest hawk but because you can take a lower tier Group 4 UAV like a Predator and give it a deeper magazine relative to that of hellfire. The services are looking into Shadow UAV weaponization and looking for air to ground solutions that can fit within their platforms' payload restraints.

daskrolator fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 6, 2012

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Griffin may be going down the path of being so afraid of collateral damage that we end up with fires that don't produce the desired effects. There are already hellfire variants that are pretty good for just taking out one particular vehicle, and our more egregious killings of innocents have been due to crappy intel or decisions resulting in the use of big bombs on targets that weren't legitimate, as in Farah or the fueler bombings in Afghanistan as opposed to shrapnel from Hellfires.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

This B-52 just turned 50! :toot:

. . . and it's the youngest airframe we have. :corsair:
The last one was built in October '62. What happened to the 14 built in FY63 and however many of the 68 1962 models that were built in late spring?

Psion posted:

Go back and dust off the prototype sketches for the F6D Missileer, reactivate the AIM-54, and make it A2G capable. The best option. :c00l:
Or just strap Phoenixes to Intruders/Prowlers, nobody would know the difference.

mlmp08 posted:

gently caress it, let's just let Avengers and Stinger teams go to down on trucks/cars/APCs with stingers.

Hellfires on a KC-130J

There is only one ground-attack C-130. The Griffin apparently has a 13-pound warhead? Piffle. These guys are loading a 33-pounder field gun in back of a C-130:

You want something smote in a Biblical fashion? Call in a Spooky. "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him" (Rev. 6:8)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

The last one was built in October '62. What happened to the 14 built in FY63 and however many of the 68 1962 models that were built in late spring?

The last model number ends in 61-0040; a bunch from 61-0000 onwards are either crashed or in AMARC. Three are maintenance trainers apparently, one of the maintenance trainers was the replacement for the NB-52B that used to carry the X-15s.

edit: Here's what some crazy USAF serial number enthusiast has.

code:
61-0001/0013		Boeing B-52H-165-BW Stratofortress
				c/n 464428/464440
				0007 to AMARC Nov 13, 2008.  Seen at AMARC Mar 2009
				0008 with 93rd BS, 307th BW in 2011
				0009 to AMARC Sep 25, 2008.  Seen at AMARC Mar 2009
61-0014/0026		Boeing B-52H-170-BW Stratofortress
				c/n 464441/464453
				0017 named "Renegade" with 92nd BW in Apr 1989.
				0022 entered Depot Maintenance at Tinker AFB, OK in Nov 2004.  Crack was found in wing
					attachment and it sat waiting for money for repairs.  Temporarily repaired in early 2009
					and flown to Sheppard AFB, TX for use as maintenance trainer.
				0023 loaned to Boeing to test turbulence effects.  On test flight on Jan 10, 1964
					the entire vertical fin and rudder were ripped off.  Aircraft was able
					to land safely at Blytheville AFB.  Repaired and returned to service.
					To AMARC Jul 24, 2008, first B-52H to go to storage.
				0024 to AMARC Jan 6, 2009.  Seem at AMARC Mar 2009.  Named "I'll Be Seeing You" with 410th BW in May 1992.
				0025 delivered to NASA Dryden Flight Research Center Jul 30, 2001
					as replacement for NB-52B mothership.  Left Edwards AFB May 9, 2008
					on one-time ferry flight to Sheppard AFB, TX, where it will become
					a maintenance trainer, never to fly again.
				0026 crashed Jun 24, 1994 at Fairchild AFB during rehersal for air display.  
					Lost control and hit ground.
61-0027/0040		Boeing B-52H-175-BW Stratofortress
				c/n 464454/464467
				0027 to AMARC as BC0492 Jan 1, 2009.
				0030 crashed Nov 2, 1967 at Griffiss AFB.  Control lost during instrument approach
					when power loss on no. 5 and 6 engines.  This plane was seen
					parked at DMAFB Mar 2009, so the plane must have been repaired.
				0032 to GB-52H maintenance trainer at Minot AFB, ND.
				0033 destroyed Nov 14, 1975 in ground fire at
					Minot AFB.
				0037 crashed Jan 21, 1969 at Minot AFB.
					Incorrect preflight fuel load distribution caused
					aircraft to stall on takeoff.  Aircraft 
					climbed to about 200-300 feet and made
					several pitch gyrations and crashed.
					Some of the crew tried to eject and were
					killed.
				0038 named "Dogs of War" with 7th BW in Apr 1989

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 6, 2012

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
BUFF Spotting

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Party Plane Jones posted:

0026 crashed Jun 24, 1994 at Fairchild AFB during rehearsal for air display. Lost control and hit ground.

:(

I seem to remember one of the Blue Angels talking about how hot shot maverick types were not the sort they wanted and had no business flying demonstrations. I guess Bud Holland didn't get that memo, a lesson that cost four people their lives.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

grover posted:

Don't you have a mutiny in GiP that you should be paying attention to, Lt. Col. Grover?

iyaayas, any more Cold War writeups in the pipeline? I'd like to find some time to do a writeup on the Kuznetsov NK-12s.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
F-18 just crashed in Virginia beach, possibly into residential buildings. Both crew ejected and were taken to a hospital.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

There is only one ground-attack C-130. The Griffin apparently has a 13-pound warhead? Piffle. These guys are loading a 33-pounder field gun in back of a C-130:

I actually read some stuff circa 2005? about a proposed change of the 105 in the back of the Spooky to a 120mm mortar. At first it made no sense to me, because I was thinking "mortars? What?" but then I actually read more about it and someone did some mapping of the recoil forces (the 105 is obscene) whereas the 120 would give PGM capability and more bang per shot for less recoil. No idea how practical it is, but it had some pretty neat pictures, therefore, is probably awesome. That's how it works, right? :v:

I might be missing something but as I understand it:
-mortars have more explosive for a given shot than artillery shells of the same size
-a field artillery gun designed to fire a shell seven miles is probably a little bit ridiculous in an AC-130, where the firing profile is basically "down."

I also read far more than I ever wanted to about what amounts to musical chairs with various 20, 25, 30, and 40mm mounts. Pick one already :mad:

(on the other hand, 105s out of an aircraft is also bad rear end. This is key.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

Well, sure but the Harvest Hawks are tankers first and shooters second.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Wouldn't switching to a larger gun also increase weight? I'm talking mostly out of my rear end, but it seems to me like anything that could bump up the weight of the aircraft and make it carry less ammo and/or have a shorter loiter time could be bad.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently when you burn the skin off of fighters, they suddenly look like spacecraft from Star Wars Eps 4-6

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Captain Novolin posted:

Wouldn't switching to a larger gun also increase weight? I'm talking mostly out of my rear end, but it seems to me like anything that could bump up the weight of the aircraft and make it carry less ammo and/or have a shorter loiter time could be bad.

Normally yes but mortar vs artillery isn't a 1:1 for shell weight. I actually cannot find a weight in a quick google for the HE version of the 105 shell used in the AC-130 (I assume most fired are HE, no idea for sure) but the M934 mortar rounds are ~30lbs each. I can't see 105 artillery rounds being THAT much lighter.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Psion posted:

Normally yes but mortar vs artillery isn't a 1:1 for shell weight.

Also, the mortar-shooting apparatus is probably a hell of a lot lighter than the 105mm gun.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Raw_Beef posted:

But a big massed formation march tends to be the sign of an insecure military, imo. We know the m1a2 can kick your rear end, we dont need to parade them around to convince ourselves we have a strong army.

Just fyi, after Desert Storm I went to a 4 hour military parade here in Newburgh NY complete with A-10 and Apache flyovers, and dozens of tanks. It was a scene that repeated everywhere across the country.

We do military parades quite often, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Here's some cold war history I'd never heard before.

It’s part of a secret, nuclear-powered U.S. Army base that was built under the Greenland ice cap only 800 miles from the North Pole. The base was officially built to conduct scientific research but the real reason was apparently to test out the feasibility of burying nuclear missiles below the ice under an effort known as Project Iceworm.

http://defensetech.org/2012/04/06/inside-the-armys-secret-cold-war-ice-base/