Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
PAX is underway, not that I know if that's good or bad for announcing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
so monday's followup press release is either:

"DESPITE BUSY ANNOUNCEMENT WEEKEND, COOLPROJECT IS WELL ON ITS WAY TOWARDS FUNDING, INDICATING DEPRECATED-GENRE STILL HAS FANS"

or

"LAUNCHING DURING PAX PROVES TO CAUSE HICCUP FOR OUTSTANDING GAME 'COOLPROJECT', THE FIRST KICKSTARTER IN DEPRECATED-GENRE. DOES THE FANBASE EXIST???"

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

so monday's followup press release is either:

"DESPITE BUSY ANNOUNCEMENT WEEKEND, COOLPROJECT IS WELL ON ITS WAY TOWARDS FUNDING, INDICATING DEPRECATED-GENRE STILL HAS FANS"

or

"LAUNCHING DURING PAX PROVES TO CAUSE HICCUP FOR OUTSTANDING GAME 'COOLPROJECT', THE FIRST KICKSTARTER IN DEPRECATED-GENRE. DOES THE FANBASE EXIST???"
Yes, that is the press release... which no one picks up, because it's 3 day old news at that point, and there's plenty of Monday morning fresh news to run with instead.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait until Tuesday. It's killing my partner, though. I guess this is why I'm running business-side - because I am a massive numbers-running spoilsport.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Mega Shark posted:

Just a heads up for those without Game Industry experience that we're looking for a Junior IT Support person and a Junior Producer.

For the Junior Producer we're looking for someone who is interested in Production and likes games but isn't a Designer or Artist in disguise that just wants an in so they can change departments. You should be a naturally organized person that wants to work at a game company.

This is for Ready at Dawn Studios, if you're not caught up on the thread we're making an original IP AAA 3rd Person Action Adventure for a Next-generation home console.

PM me or e-mail me at patrick@readyatdawn.com

Hello, person who is also named Patrick.

Do you know Charlie Staples? I think he used to work there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Yes, that is the press release... which no one picks up, because it's 3 day old news at that point, and there's plenty of Monday morning fresh news to run with instead.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait until Tuesday. It's killing my partner, though. I guess this is why I'm running business-side - because I am a massive numbers-running spoilsport.

Alternatively quiet launch this weekend so when you hit the big news on tues they aren't checking out your project and seeing $12.37 out of $3.2million raised, 23 days to go.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Alternatively quiet launch this weekend so when you hit the big news on tues they aren't checking out your project and seeing $12.37 out of $3.2million raised, 23 days to go.
Social media would start a minor build, then fizzle over the weekend, then be gone.

I didn't realize it's Easter weekend, AND that PAX is running, AND that this already ran on Kotaku today: http://kotaku.com/5899729/ion-racer-stays-fun-without-the-need-for-speed - which is in a related genre, and far from the biggest bit of today's iOS news.

So yeah, holding off.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shalinor posted:

It would largely depend on what you're looking to say. Regardless of whether you do it now or Tuesday it's going to be thrown in with the coverage of PAX as people get back from PAX and spend the next week staggering articles about what they saw. Most places don't immediately dump everything in the first day or two but string it out for at least 3-5 days.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

nessin posted:

It would largely depend on what you're looking to say. Regardless of whether you do it now or Tuesday it's going to be thrown in with the coverage of PAX as people get back from PAX and spend the next week staggering articles about what they saw. Most places don't immediately dump everything in the first day or two but string it out for at least 3-5 days.
True. Regardless, this does give me a few days to prepare. To which end:

If anyone would like to get in contact with us, and get a bit of a lead on what we're doing, hit me up at megan@glassbottomgames.com. It involves a AAA-turned-indie team, PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad, and the high-speed combat racing genre. It will go live next Tuesday morning, Mountain Standard Time, and any details would need to be kept quiet until then.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, that I had a Big News Item to launch, ready to go. Original plan was to launch next week, Tuesday, but it got done early.

Is afternoon on a Friday a bad time for video game news? Should I still wait? Or should I press the button?

Do it on Friday.
And then also make sure that whatever game you're announcing (I'm assuming its a game :P) also make sure to post 'in progress' screenshots in the various screenshotsaturday places (reddit / twitter).

Just a thought.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also, the Yogscast guys just launched a Kickstarter for their own game.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

mutata posted:

That sounds really ambitious. Best of luck to them!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shalinor posted:

True. Regardless, this does give me a few days to prepare. To which end:

If anyone would like to get in contact with us, and get a bit of a lead on what we're doing, hit me up at megan@glassbottomgames.com. It involves a AAA-turned-indie team, PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad, and the high-speed combat racing genre. It will go live next Tuesday morning, Mountain Standard Time, and any details would need to be kept quiet until then.

Curious, what area of development are you in?

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
That sounds almost too ambitious. Reading the pitch makes it sound like "Idea Guys: The Game". It will be interesting to see how many of the features they are talking about actually make it into the finished product.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Kitten Kisses posted:

That sounds almost too ambitious. Reading the pitch makes it sound like "Idea Guys: The Game". It will be interesting to see how many of the features they are talking about actually make it into the finished product.

Well, they have an actual dev studio full of people who aren't idea bros so...

Then again, that is one hell of an ambitious game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

Curious, what area of development are you in?
On this project, I'm running business side, and I'm a programmer.

For our studio, I... well, actually do the same thing. CEO, programmer. Usually I'm more programmer than anything; we just happen to have a few other engineers on this project.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

fookolt posted:

Well, they have an actual dev studio full of people who aren't idea bros so...

Then again, that is one hell of an ambitious game.

I'm not sure if they actually do or not... They have a start up indie studio that's never released a game and seems to be mostly comprised of dudes from the film industry wanting to try out game dev. The guy who runs the company appears to still be working at Dreamworks as a character TD while moonlighting as Lead Designer on this game. If the CEO hasn't quit his day job to work on this game full time, chances are nobody else has either. 250k isn't exactly going to go very far when it comes to paying salaries in Los Angeles anyways, which would lead me to believe this is going to be a side project for the guys making this game.

Very curious to see how this all turns out in the end. Hope it works out for them, but I have a sneaking suspision it's going to crash and burn.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Kitten Kisses posted:

I'm not sure if they actually do or not... They have a start up indie studio that's never released a game and seems to be mostly comprised of dudes from the film industry wanting to try out game dev. The guy who runs the company appears to still be working at Dreamworks as a character TD while moonlighting as Lead Designer on this game. If the CEO hasn't quit his day job to work on this game full time, chances are nobody else has either. 250k isn't exactly going to go very far when it comes to paying salaries in Los Angeles anyways, which would lead me to believe this is going to be a side project for the guys making this game.

Very curious to see how this all turns out in the end. Hope it works out for them, but I have a sneaking suspision it's going to crash and burn.

Great points all around; that's what I get for not doing my research!

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

mutata posted:

Hrm. As someone with a fair amount of experience implementing a marching cubes based terrain engine, I am extremely skeptical. There are just so many design issues and technological hurdles with this approach. That's not to say it's impossible, but unless these guys actually have a working tech demo, planning a game around it is absurd.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Paniolo posted:

Hrm. As someone with a fair amount of experience implementing a marching cubes based terrain engine, I am extremely skeptical. There are just so many design issues and technological hurdles with this approach. That's not to say it's impossible, but unless these guys actually have a working tech demo, planning a game around it is absurd.

That's your work? :aaaaa:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Paniolo posted:

Er, they do. That video is in-prototype:

quote:

This will be Winterkewl Games’s first title but after seeing what they have been able to put together for our demo we are sure these are the right guys for the job! In only a few months of part-time development, the game is already looking fantastic.
... and put together in a few months of part-time dev, no less.

I have no doubt it will have issues, and be nowhere near as flexible as how they're selling it, but, the tech is definitely doable.

EDIT: VV Yeah, it's nowhere near the resolution of spatial grid you were working with. What they're doing is... doable. It will be rough and always look janky / have serious network complications, but it's doable.

Your thing, on the other hand, is just drop-dead gorgeous. Nice work there.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 7, 2012

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I feel stupid, didn't realize there was a video. Looks like they're wisely keeping it very lo-fi which should keep it manageable. I'm definitely looking forward to see what they can pull off.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shalinor posted:

On this project, I'm running business side, and I'm a programmer.

For our studio, I... well, actually do the same thing. CEO, programmer. Usually I'm more programmer than anything; we just happen to have a few other engineers on this project.

Whoa, that sounds so cool. Are there a lot of people working the studio?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

Whoa, that sounds so cool. Are there a lot of people working the studio?
Lord no, hehe. It's three of us + one, when he's not working on his film project. Lisa's a partner-at-distance, and we're only working with her on a casual game, whereas the rest of us are all local and have actually worked together in the office at times. The office being "a portion of my basement I've filled with desks and chairs and stuff."

We're quite small, just an indie studio. This particular project is shaping up to be bigger only because a decent number of people that some of us know from way back are volunteering their time. Any other projects we're on (there's a Facebook game and some upcoming iPhone/iPad stuff) are just a team of two or three.

This is us: http://www.glassbottomgames.com

EDIT: to that earlier comment about doing PR, and it sucking, and how it can backlash, this right here is precisely what NOT to do

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 7, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: to that earlier comment about doing PR, and it sucking, and how it can backlash, this right here is precisely what NOT to do

Those grapes are so sour my face inverted from here.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Shalinor posted:

Hahaha, goddamn.

You know I'm not a GAME DESIGN AND MARKETING GENIUS or anything, but "don't argue against every negative comment" was something I just inherently understood when I got into this stuff. Those guys just can't help themselves. It does really liven up their constant appearances on forums and comment sections.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeesh, talk about fighting a uphill losing battle. I thought it was common to not try to "win" an internet argument, it goes nowhere.

Second thing is looking at Reedit comments. :v:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The article itself isn't that bad, and is just this side of reasonable, but just going all-out in the comments of your own article to defend your position is really not the right thing to do. It stands for itself, or it doesn't.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012
What a tough spot, you don't want to have a lot of negativity on your own website when you're as small as that, but you don't want to just outright prune comments either because that makes you look like a dick.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I come away from that feeling pretty sympathetic for them. But they also don't seem to grasp the fact that these "big name" developers need money to live too. Most of those guys aren't sitting on a big pile of wealth, even though you've heard of them.

The key about kickstarter is that it enables making games that wouldn't get made in the traditional publisher system. It's not small vs. big. There are lots of potential games with multi-million dollar budgets that are awesome but won't get funded by EA, MS, Sony, or Nintendo. Arguably it's these medium budget games that are the more important benefit of kickstarter, actually. The really small budget stuff can get made by a team of 2 or 3 people in their off hours. The lack of funding doesn't stop them from getting made nearly as much.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

:downsgun:

He registered a forums account, and is currently over in the iOS thread making an rear end of himself with further defenses and telling everyone they're wrong. I tried to give him useful feedback, maybe help clue him into why he comes across that way, but that's all I can do. Kinda looks like he might be one of those engineers that isn't terribly good at communicating, and doesn't have a good grasp of subtext? :(

Also, 100 Rogues dude, if you end up here - hi. I'd really, really recommend not posting anymore in that thread. You've done a pretty fair job of poisoning the well already, just walk away. :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 8, 2012

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Lord no, hehe. It's three of us + one, when he's not working on his film project. Lisa's a partner-at-distance, and we're only working with her on a casual game, whereas the rest of us are all local and have actually worked together in the office at times. The office being "a portion of my basement I've filled with desks and chairs and stuff."

We're quite small, just an indie studio. This particular project is shaping up to be bigger only because a decent number of people that some of us know from way back are volunteering their time. Any other projects we're on (there's a Facebook game and some upcoming iPhone/iPad stuff) are just a team of two or three.

This is us: http://www.glassbottomgames.com

Ah, okay. Well, it's still more impressive than what I'm doing at the moment. :)

Also, to whoever recommended me that Flixel program, do I need another program to actually run it?

edit: Oh, and also, I downloaded the free unity engine. I'm curious, might be a dumb question, but could one make rotating platforms (like the ones in Super Mario Sunshine) with this?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2012

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

:downsgun:

He registered a forums account, and is currently over in the iOS thread making an rear end of himself with further defenses and telling everyone they're wrong. I tried to give him useful feedback, maybe help clue him into why he comes across that way, but that's all I can do. Kinda looks like he might be one of those engineers that isn't terribly good at communicating, and doesn't have a good grasp of subtext? :(

Also, 100 Rogues dude, if you end up here - hi. I'd really, really recommend not posting anymore in that thread. You've done a pretty fair job of poisoning the well already, just walk away. :(

You can't post things like this, and then not give us a link :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

You can't post things like this, and then not give us a link :(
Object lesson in what not to do as a games developer. Please do not further contribute to the drama, if you can avoid it. Treat it like a nature safari - take nothing but solace, leave nothing but commiseration.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

DancingMachine posted:

I come away from that feeling pretty sympathetic for them. But they also don't seem to grasp the fact that these "big name" developers need money to live too. Most of those guys aren't sitting on a big pile of wealth, even though you've heard of them.

Yeah. This is one of those where a change in approach would have made all the difference.

Rather than stating how unfair it is to be labelled a fraud and denied funding, things could have been so much more different if the post had asked their readers why they think they'd received such accusations, been treated differently from the "big names," and what they could do to seal the trust of the investors.

That would have elicited sympathy (or apathy which is fine as apathetic readers don't chip in) rather than condemnation for perceived whinging, and possibly a set of solutions straight from the engaged readers on how to make their Kickstarter a success.

Of course, it's far too easy to offer suggestions retroactively from the outside in these sticky situations. It's a good case study for us to learn from, however.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wow, whoever wrote that article completely missed the point.

I think Gearbox's talk on Borderlands feedback really covers what that guy has wrong:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/14/2861998/gearbox-borderlands-testing

People aren't saying "I can't believe you need $15,000 for this, you're greedy pigs!" because they think the Kickstarter is over priced, or because an iOS project shouldn't need that much money, or the Kickstarter money shouldn't cover their cost of living, they're saying it because the project is not exciting to them, and the pitch is not exciting to them. You read the Wasteland 2 pitch, and it gets you pumped, it makes you want what those guys are selling. You watch the Doublefine videos, and Tim Schafer makes you laugh, and you figure you can toss $15 his way to see what those guys come up with. Then you see one of the two dozen iOS pitches on Kickstarter asking for a few thousand dollars. The video is poorly produced, the idea is not well explained, the market is already saturated.

I also love the complete lack of scope those guys have. Mass Effect and Madden are massive games, often employing hundreds of people to build, with a very proven market. A sequel to Wasteland, or a traditional adventure game are much smaller projects than that, and are much harder pitches to any investors, you don't have any proof that what you are making will sell.

VVVVV You still need a Unity account to use Unity. It's free but you have to register.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 8, 2012

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What the hell? I downloaded the Unity 3D engine, and I made sure to download the "Free" version, but it's asking me to register. Wtf?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
You have to register the free version as well. Just register a free license.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
If this whole 100 rogues kickstarter is telling me anything it's that as much as I love the games I'm working on, I'd never want to be a community liason or PR rep for them. :stare:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aliginge posted:

If this whole 100 rogues kickstarter is telling me anything it's that as much as I love the games I'm working on, I'd never want to be a community liason or PR rep for them. :stare:
You've already done a bit in this thread, though - you posted links to Warheads, and when people voiced issues they had with the game (one technical, one design) you responded appropriately by saying thanks for the feedback and passing the info along to the right people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I want to see more artists as PR people.

:chord: Your game is a piece of poo poo!
:smith: Yeah you're probably right.

END OF CONVERSATION